Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
camp guy

Default Sunny Villa

For any of you nostalgia freaks, and anyone else who likes good food, Sunny Villa Restaurant on Rt 28 in Ossipee has reopened. My wife and I ate there yesterday and it was very good - generous portions, excellent service, and fair prices. We will return. The mountain views are spectacular, and you hardly notice the traffic on Rt 28. Give it a try. (PS: I'm not connected in any way.)
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Newbiesaukee

What kind of food is it? Where exactly is it?
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Lakepilot

Is it the Sunny Villa on Rt 16 north of the intersection of 16 and 28?
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Postcard from the Ossipee Lake Photo Gallery

This from the Ossipee Lake FACEBOOK PAGE
Ossipee — November 1, 2009 — A year ago, today (Oct. 29), a fire ripped through the Kranky Franky’s building on Route 16. Now, a reincarnation of the original restaurant located here in the 1930s is weeks away from opening. The new restaurant will be called the Sunny Villa, said owners Frank and Jill Bumbaca and Tim Carnes.
The building housed the popular Sunny Villa Restaurant back in the 1930s, and before the fire, that was name of the building’s ice cream shop. Bumbaca and Carnes plan to open a section of the building that will seat 99 people. They declined to give an exact opening date but did say it could be a matter of weeks. The Bumbacas and Carnes and his parents purchased the building together in 1999.
“I need to get back to work to make some money,” said Bumbaca. “It’s been a long hard road (but now) we’re close.”
Sunny Villa, left, seen in a postcard from the 1930s. [Alliance Collection]

Ninety-nine seats is just the beginning. The Sunny Villa will expand once it can get a sprinkler system installed, the owners said. The building could seat far more than 99 people.
Before the fire, the building also housed Granite Fitness, Twisted Scissors hair salon, Curves, and an apartment. Faulty wiring caused the fire.
Over the last year, they have gutted and reframed the building. New wiring and plumbing was also installed. Foam insulation will make the building environmentally friendly and energy efficient. A heated walkway has been installed so customers won’t have a hard time getting in when it’s snowy, said Bumbaca and Carnes.
“That’s what took us so long, we needed to get everything up to code,” said Carnes.
Once open, the new Sunny Villa will serve home-style meals such as steak, fish, burgers, pizza, and calzones. Meals will come at different sizes and prices so people can find something to fit their appetites and budget said Bumbaca and Carnes. The Sunny Villa will stay open until around 11:30 p.m. for hungry night owls, they said.
In the beginning, family members will staff the Sunny Villa, said Carnes. However, they do plan to hire 25 to 30 employees in the future. Job seekers can get an application at the restaurant.
“We want happy, motivated people,” said Carnes.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I heard from others who have been that it is really good too.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default breakfast

In the late 70's and '80's, I use to stop there for breakfast before heading to the ski areas in Conway. They use to open very early in the morning for the ski crowd.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Seeker

They opened St Pattys day with a limited menu. Started the regular menu the next day. Been there 3 times so far and very good. Menu is a lttle of everything, lots of choices, pizza, calzones, steaks, meatloaf, liver and onions, cheese steaks, calamari, etc, etc..., you get the idea.
They don't take credit cards yet, should in a couple weeks. Also, no draft beer yet but plenty of bottle choices. Full bar.
I have no interest in it but they are friends. They used to own the Coo Coos Nest in Wakefield a number of years ago.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
ApS

Thumbs up The "Way-Back" Machine...

The original Sunny Villa was a regular stop for my family.
Like many restaurants of that time, they served an "American" menu. ( Worked for me! )

Sadly it fell into disrepair decades ago. Over the years, additions to the south of the restaurant only added a tawdry appearance to a once-tidy structure.

A New Hampshire-style flea market eventually took over the indoor dining room area. For a reasonable commission, the knowledgeable sales-staff would sell your personal antiques, collectibles and "junque". A lot of Lakes Region nostalgia was assembled there—a visit there was similar to a museum visit!

The view northeast from the restaurant is primarily of New Hampshire's broad and heavily-forested Green Mountain. (Hiking trails abound there, and I don't believe there are any difficult trails).

Just "up the road" from the Sunny Villa is a furniture vendor who took their company name from their view of that expansive mountain scenery. (I think "The Green Mountain Furniture Company" really belongs in the "Green Mountain State").

Just for old time's sake—and nostalgia going 'way back—I'm definitely going to give it a try.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Seeker

Just to bring this up again for anyone going thru the Ossipee area this place is very good. I said on 3/28 we'd been there 3 times but since then we go there at least twice a week. They now have quite a few draught beers. Food quality has not gone up nor down buy remained consistently good. Not something I can say about my other favorites. Views are terrific also.

My only interest in this is they do enough business to stay open all winter so we'll have a somewhat local good restaurant to go to.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Skip

Thumbs up Thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Just to bring this up again for anyone going thru the Ossipee area this place is very good. I said on 3/28 we'd been there 3 times but since then we go there at least twice a week. They now have quite a few draught beers. Food quality has not gone up nor down buy remained consistently good. Not something I can say about my other favorites. Views are terrific also.

My only interest in this is they do enough business to stay open all winter so we'll have a somewhat local good restaurant to go to.

I'm with you on the winter business. They can be easily accessed off of the State Corridor 19 trail system, a section maintained by the Club I am an officer in (Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club).

It will be a great restaraunt destination for sledders this winter...hopefully they will find a way to market themselves to the sledding community.

The former restaraunt (at the time of the fire) made sure to place signs on the trail to direct sledders into their parking lot...I will make sure that our Club contacts them to see what we can do to spread the word for the upcoming season...
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
abay

Years ago. one of the great advertised "features" was the " split-level parking". Made me smile.
abay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
KBoater

Default Horse Shoes

I've been there twice in recent weeks. Food is good and they have horse shoes on Thursday with special nibbles at the lower level. I ate in the upper level with their great view.. The parking on the north side is easier access. Call them to get the schedule if your interested.