Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2004, 08:45 AM   #1
Melli_Fera

Red face

I appreciate the need to keep the forum "on-topic" but there are so many other things we (as friends) would like to chat about... what do people think of the idea of creating a category thread for "other" topics.... just a thought

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face... stars to fill my dreams
I am a traveler of both time and space... to be where I have been...
Melli_Fera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:02 AM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,722 Times in 822 Posts

Funny that you mention that Melli because I've been thinking about just that. Since this is now a Forum "Community" I could create a set of Forums that are not Lake related.

My reservation is that the site and Forum have always been strictly Lake related and I think that is part of what makes it popular.

I was going to wait a few weeks before getting some input and making a decision but since you brought it up I'll welcome any input now.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
Steve

A non-Lake category sounds like a good idea.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
Pepper

Default Regarding an "Other Topics" area ...

If the category were separate, as it seems all the categories are now (a wonderful thing!) then I think an "Other Topics not Lake-Related" category would be a great idea. Additionally, I like the immediate response on the posts, and it appears that thus-far people are behaving according to the rules of the forum. I hope this continues, as it will certainly lessen your workload as moderator. Thanks again for all you do for all of us!!!
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:32 PM   #5
webmaster

This is a tough one. I have considered creating a separate group of Forums that are not Lake related but I have several concerns.
  • The site and Forum have always been strictly limited to Lakes Region information and discussions. Would allowing discussions of other topics dilute that and make the site less focused?
  • There are many other Forums out there that cover other issues. Shouldn't the "Winnipesaukee" Forums just cover the Lake?
  • Would the discussion of more controversial non-lake issues bring a different audience to the Forum that isn't necessarily interested in the Lakes Region?
  • Would you want the person you are discussing boating or fishing with to know your views on politics and other controversial topics?

I'm really going to have to think about this one for a while but I'd welcome any input.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #6
Merrymeeting

Default One vote for status quo

I for one would vote to keep things as they are. As you suggest, there are PLENTY of forum/blog sites for those wishing to express their thoughts on other topics and exchange ideas. Please keep this site devoted to the Lakes Region.

If you need to see an example of the somewhat negative views that can develop with the other scenario, just take a look at a similar setup accross the lake from you. Lots of noise from a very small minority. Not to mention the potential legal issues that might arise.

You are doing a wonderful job. Please keep it that way!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:08 PM   #7
islandAl

Default Stay Lake related Please

Even when you were reviewing, the issues sometimes got off the track. I vote for a Lake Winni focus only.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:58 PM   #8
Island Girl

Cool Stay with the focus

I would vote to keep the focus as it has been.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 05:49 AM   #9
Mink Islander

Default Another vote to keep this forum lake oriented

There are plenty of places for people to share views on other topics on other forums. My vote is to keep this site focused on Winnipesaukee related topics.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:17 AM   #10
Chris Exley

Default Keep it the same way!

When another website in the lakes region area revamped their forum, they allowed any and all posts. Very soon all the conversations turned into political and personal sniping. It got to the point that I very rarely go to that site anymore to participate in discussions. I like to look at new posts, and they were all showing these discussions that I was not interested in (from a lakes region perspective), and I am afraid that would happen here as well.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:47 AM   #11
DRH

Thumbs up Ditto

I agree with the other posters above and vote to keep the Forum's focus on lake-related issues.
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:27 AM   #12
Pepper

Lightbulb I'm changing my vote

After more thought on the matter, and viewing some other forums I enjoy, I have to agree that any non-lake-related areas would only serve to weaken the original focus of this wonderful forum. I'm changing my yea to a nay! Those who wish to chat about other topics can utilize their e-mail, as well as the multiple options for instant messaging, etc. Keep our forum the way it is.
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:09 AM   #13
BBS

I agree with those voting to keep this forum Winni-centric
It's the place that I turn to for information about the lakes region and I'd hate to see the focus get diffused.
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:30 AM   #14
obie

Angry Other topics

I think this should remain a forum about Lake Winni only, please don't let it become just another place for the politicians to sound off!
obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:42 AM   #15
chocophile

Default Keep Focus

I agree to keep a sharp focus for the forum, and would go further. Often threads deteriorate into topics that are totally unrelated to the original post and unrelated to the Lakes Region. The most obvious example are the digressions related to taxes or government in general, or rights vs. responsibilities flames. These simply don't belong in this forum, IMHO.
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:30 AM   #16
RI Swamp Yankee

Thumbs up another vote for status quo

When I need a "dose" of the Lake, this is the place I come to get it. I think Don often allowed a little drift away but it always seemed to be posts that had some interest for people interested in the Lake.

Just my 3 & 1/2 cents (inflation)
Old 04-13-2004, 12:15 PM   #17
Tired of Waiting

Don,

I agree somewhat with the other posters. However you need not read very far in forum and you will find all sorts of topics that would and should go into an "Other" area. Subjects like "road tolls/tokens".

I visit other forums and one has put inot place an Other area. The following is the rule set for that area.

"Other
Discussion of all other topics not necessarily {XYZ} related. User-surveys, general questions, etc. This forum is not to be used for general chit-chat, private jokes, etc. There are plenty of sites where that is allowed or you can use our online chat, private messaging, or e-mail.
Discussion of political, religious, gun control, or sexual topics is NOT allowed!"

I changed the forum name to {XYZ}.
This other forum works very well and the Moderator does a good job to keep the Other forum to the rules.

So I guess you could say that although I agree with the reasons for not having an "other" forum that some of my fellow posters have I also know that if properly used the "other" forum is very nice.

A suggestion: try it. if it doesn't work simply remove it. The success of the "other" forum is also the responsibility of the regulars to help moderate through their actions.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:53 PM   #18
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting
I agree somewhat with the other posters. However you need not read very far in forum and you will find all sorts of topics that would and should go into an "Other" area. Subjects like "road tolls/tokens".
I think that a "Getting Here" category is appropriate for this Forum. Travel to and from the Lake is an important part of the weekend for many of us and subjects like directions, construction and tolls are all part of it.

So far it is almost unanimous to not add a non-lakes Forum to the site. I agree with the reasons and only really gave it a passing thought.

The site will remain dedicated to the Lakes Region as it has for 8 years.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:42 PM   #19
trfour

My vote,... Attributed to this wonderful site, is to keep it all about the Lakes Region. I think most of us agree.
My thanks to all of webmaster's work, and all whom contribute to this site.
If the world wants to know, and are lucky enough to find this website, as many have, they will get the scoop!!!!

Thank you all again, trfour
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:34 AM   #20
meredith necker

Default another vote for Winni only

Please keep it Winnipesaukee oriented -- that's what attracted me to it in the first place. There are plenty of other forums out there for other topics. Keep up the good work - by the way, now that I've gotten used to it I think I like the new look!
meredith necker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:32 PM   #21
tricia1218

Thumbs up Winni Topics only

I think a lake only format is fitting, as this is the Lake web-site. It breaks up the work week, stopping in for an update on the lakes weather, politics, restaurant reviews, and general lake information, anticipating the weekend visit to the lake. Thank you for your hard work and dedication!
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote