Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
AC2717

Default Wifi Set Up at the Lake- Need A Refereal

Hi Guys
been tasked with getting a person/company to fix and set up our existing WIFI system at the lake for our association. Have a system now but not that great

Can you guys give me some referrals, can be a company or a one man show
thanks
Old 05-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
Smokienorm

Default Computer Tech

Kevin Eastwood
A Byte Above Computing
603-527-1046

A one man show but excellent and reasonable in charges.
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smokienorm For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (05-08-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
AC2717

Hi Smokienorm
I called and left a message yesterday and have not received a call back yet, I will keep trying

does anyone else have anyone to use as well?

there has got to be people up here that can set up a WIFI system with the modem already in the place, just needs to be set up over a larger than normal distance so repeaters?? maybe
Old 05-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
HellRaZoR004

Inside, Outside?
Do you have the option of wiring multiple access points or do they all need to talk wireless (i.e. relay)? The problem with the latter is you effectively cut your throughput by half.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Ideally you'd want hardwired connections between access points and your source router otherwise the performance hit is not worth the effort even if you play around with the QOS policies or try to throttle bandwidth usage.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
depasseg

I've used Ubuquiti (carrier grade but cheap ~$80) gear in the past to handle the point to point links (using a Rocket connected to the cable modem and some Nano's as the end points) and then connect a Unifi wireless access point. It's pretty straightforward to someone who knows networking. I'm not really in the business, but if you don't hear from anyone I can help someone from your association.
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
AC2717

have to talk wireless from the main point (which is hardwired to the modem) and they need to be for outdoor/indoor use. we have a decent one right now that is without repeaters and it is just spotty, need to sure it up by placing a repeater here or there in some of the cottages to get full coverage I would think, just don't know where and how to do it properly or which to use, these can be plugged into the wall for power which is a good thing
Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
depasseg

The Ubiquiti stuff I mentioned is all outdoor rated and provide separate wireless links (doesn't use the repeaters, which decreases end user speeds).

Here's a quick sketch. The links from the Rocket M5 to the NanoStations can reach up to 16 miles in clear space, less through trees. And each component costs ~$85. Think of the Rocket and Nanostation combo as a long ethernet wire, and at the end of the wire is the access point. You can have a bunch of these connections and you can add them over time.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images

depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
have to talk wireless from the main point (which is hardwired to the modem) and they need to be for outdoor/indoor use. we have a decent one right now that is without repeaters and it is just spotty, need to sure it up by placing a repeater here or there in some of the cottages to get full coverage I would think, just don't know where and how to do it properly or which to use, these can be plugged into the wall for power which is a good thing
FWIW, from what you describe you will need/want someone who knows what they are doing in wifi/RF design and not just a "hooker-upper".

Wifi generally does not go well with "repeaters", and you can quickly cut your effective bandwidth down to a trickle if you start throwing repeaters all around.

The Ubiquiti stuff mentioned above is great equipment, I too use it frequently and it's amazingly solid for the price.

My personal guess is that you probably need to more or less start from scratch and you're looking at about $700 worth of equipment and a day or two of time to get everything properly setup and configured. Roughly a $1500-$2000 total job to do it right.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by depasseg View Post
The Ubiquiti stuff I mentioned is all outdoor rated and provide separate wireless links (doesn't use the repeaters, which decreases end user speeds).

Here's a quick sketch. The links from the Rocket M5 to the NanoStations can reach up to 16 miles in clear space, less through trees. And each component costs ~$85. Think of the Rocket and Nanostation combo as a long ethernet wire, and at the end of the wire is the access point. You can have a bunch of these connections and you can add them over time.

I hope this helps.
It does, do you have a link to those by any chance, I will take a look myself but was just wondering if you had a trustworthy source to use for them

They are plug in obviously? do I have to program them together?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
AC2717

thank you for the info, I looked and it is beyond my skill because I am looking at it for the association, if it was for just my place, I would tackle it myself, but I don't want to mess people up.

Anyone interested in meeting me at the property to take a look and making some money at it as well?

the gentleman in Laconia still has not called me back
Old 05-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #12
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
It does, do you have a link to those by any chance, I will take a look myself but was just wondering if you had a trustworthy source to use for them

They are plug in obviously? do I have to program them together?
You can buy them on Amazon, though I usually tell my dealers to setup an account with these guys:

http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.com/
Old 05-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #13
wifi

Been using Ubiquity since the beginning of time. Their firmware has settled in, lots of different products for the knowledgeable to choose from. Only repeated problem I have had is water penetration into their products, common sense will solve that problem.

Lots of experts these days, with Google as their resource. Check out your vendor with care.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #14
AC2717

Met with Kevin at A Byte Above Computing on Saturday morning, he brought a friend in the business as well to review the situation.
Very professional, ON TIME, and attentive, I am awaiting their proposal and estimates