Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
AKADQ

Question Furniture in a Seasonal Cottage

Need help with fabric sofas and chairs inside a seasonal cottage. We have just purchased a 3 seasons cottage and are in the process of removing couches and chairs that were left behind. My question is more of a concern with investing in new furniture and having a musty smell over a period of time. The furniture that was removed has had a musty odor and not sure if its because of it's age. Any advice would be appreciated on what some of you have in your seasonal home and how it has done over a period of time...
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Pineedles

Default Congratulations on your purchase!

Ours too is a seasonal cotttage. When we open up on Memorial Day Weekend everything smells a little musty. Open up those windows and let the breezes come through, it clears up pretty fast. However, it does have a camp smell, which to me just smells like vacation.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
AKADQ (06-14-2012), colt17 (06-14-2012), WakeboardMom (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Merrymeeting

Any musty odor would be caused by a moisture/ventilation problem in the home. We have had a seasonal cabin for many, many years and never had a problem with our upholstered furniture. We would shut down from Oct-April, with no heat and no insulation. Never had an issue.

So, if there is a musty odor, either the furniture is way too old, or the house needs better air flow and sun during the humid months. Or, perhaps the prior owners were not careful about folks with wet bathing suits... :-)
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
AKADQ (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I agree with the other posters here... If you are having a strong must smell, you may find that your ventilation is not good. You may even be picking up a musty smell from something other then the furniture.

The first step for me would be to remove the furniture you intend to replace for a few weeks and make sure that was the problem.

Then before investing in the new furniture leave the place closed up tight for a week, and come back and see what you smell, and feel....

The leave the place with a few windows slightly open for a week, and see what kind of difference there is.

No matter what you do don't assume its only the furniture.... if could be issue with wet insulation in the walls or even the attic.....
AKADQ (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
KBoater

Default old life preservers

I originally had a musty smell when I first bought my island camp. We completely rehabbed the house and still had the smell. I finally found some old life preservers and seat pads full of mold that was stored under the house. We cleaned out these and old leave that had collected there and the smell went away. We had a good air flow under the camp.
AKADQ (06-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
AKADQ

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks to all that responded. I truely believe between being old furniture and the cottage not in use for awhile the place really needed to be aired out. I guess I can now get some new furniture and not worry about it...
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
Bear Island South

Default Leather

We went with leather in our place, it is easier to maintain also.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
AKADQ (06-17-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Another Thought

A dehumidifier might be useful in your situation, especially if your place has a foundation of any kind. If the location is shaded and mossy/damp or water runs underneath this method would help too. Good luck!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
AKADQ (06-17-2012), mcdude (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
A dehumidifier might be useful in your situation, especially if your place has a foundation of any kind. If the location is shaded and mossy/damp or water runs underneath this method would help too. Good luck!
after doing repairs everyyear, we have resorted to a dehumidifier because of this reason. When we remodeled we sealed the building way too tight so it does not breathe. We run one with a hose into the shower and set it to about 60% humidity. Has been working great so far, when we are there we shut it off as windows are open and what not

my next step is to put vents in the skirting around the bottom of the camp to allow for airflow
AKADQ (06-17-2012)