Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2004, 06:22 PM   #1
Will

Default Biggus is an Innovator

http://www.offshoreonly.com/index.ph...id=12&Itemid=1

Just up people, I say a big round of applause is do!

Will
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:16 AM   #2
SIKSUKR

HUH?? What am I missing?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
Pepper

Question

Thank Heavens I am not the only one who couldn't figure that out! I haven't got the faintest idea what part of that page he's even referring to, much less what amazing innovation is referenced. Hopefully he'll come back and clarify!
Old 10-14-2004, 11:38 AM   #4
Will

Default Its in black and white

For all of you who couldnt look down, here ya go.

HUDSON, Wis. – Last April, Kurt Flachbart of Naples, Maine, retrofitted his Top Gun Cigarette Powerboat with Konrad 540 PRS (Performance Replacement System) stern drives, replacing his obsolete TRS* system. Flachbart then spent the entire 2004 boating season insanely challenging the durability of the Konrad 540s, intent on discovering their failure point. Now, upon the closing of Maine’s boating season, Flachbart reports that the only failure to occur was in his inability to break the Konrad stern drives. Flachbart states, “I’ve experienced, firsthand, a very rare occurrence in the performance boating world ... we have logged just over 100 hours and every one of them were totally trouble free.”“I’ve done everything to the Konrad stern drives that you’re not supposed to do, and there hasn’t been the slightest bit of fuzz on the drain plug magnets. Hammered it out of the hole like it was a Mastercraft all year long. Slamming the throttles and just plain beating on it like it was an ANVIL, and absolutely no drive failures this year! I can’t break them.” “Other than regular oil changes and minor preventative maintenance, all we did this season was put fuel in the boat. Still running the same plugs that were installed during spring commissioning.” To read more about Flachbart’s amazement with Konrad 540 PRS stern drives, go to the bulletin board at offshoreonly.com, a website for boating enthusiasts, where he writes about his experiences regularly. Flachbart adds, “If you would like to TOTALLY ELIMINATE drive failures, check out the Konrad 540s, they are an incredibly well-engineered unit. I’m convinced I can’t afford to run anything else.” Konrad Marine is located in Hudson, WI. For information on their stern drives call 800-927-3545 (local: 715-386-4203) or visit their website at www.konradmarine.com
Old 10-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #5
Aquadeziac

And I am taking a wild guess that the Kurt Flachbart mentioned is our own poster "Biggus" of this forum?
Old 10-14-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
Pepper

Default Yeah, I read that part, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
For all of you who couldnt look down, here ya go.
Yeah, I scrolled down and read that part, but had no idea who Kurt was. My ignorance about boating really shows, since it didn't occur to me that his experiment with the new equipment was considered an "Innovation" Perhaps that's why I couldn't figure out what you were trying to say. I'm assuming that Kurt is the gentleman us forum users know as "Biggus"?
Old 10-14-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
madrasahs

Question What Innovation?

Did I get this right?

Biggus tried to get the top speed he wants for his offshore by putting over 1000 horsepower through a drive (TRS) that proved "obsolete" and inadequate. (The TRS' are described here as "obsolete". How then are replacements "innovative"?)

He's spent megabucks to have somebody in Wisconsin install new drives (Konrads). Now they've been tested in freshwater, which offers less resistance to the drives -- and less speed -- than saltwater does.

So now he can go eight MPH slower than if he had simply put his Offshore in the ocean?

Why not just back off the horsepower, the gas, and the noise while on inland, residential, lakes? (Which provide islanders -- and many others -- with drinking water)

Some innovation!

What's next? Leaded AvGas?
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:51 PM   #8
Will

Default Look he took the bait

You know what forget it! I am so sick of this forum and the pompous people who try to dictate it. Someday you will come to the realization that you do not own the lake,,,,,,you do not bring commerce to the area,,,, and you are not god. Lets face it to all you people who hate offshore boaters, they provide a lot more than just noise around the lakes region. First of all hows about the poker runs which raise money , or ya know what, lets take it to an even more basic level than that, hows about the weekly fillups which keep that gas dock going. Or hows about the storage fee from that 42 fountain that keeps the marinas in business, ya know the marinas that provide jobs around the lakes region, ya those ones. To get back on subject, if you read the actual article, biggus was on of the first to use these drives, he actually forked over the large sum of money to experiment with this product. These drives also are less prone to cracking and drive failure, thus keeping your precious lake, (or should i say OUR precious lake) free of 80W90 Quicksilver high performance gear lube. So ya know what maybe biggus isnt an albert einstein but hey at least give the guy a hand for experimenting and actually having the guts to fork over this money and try these unproven drives.

In closing, I truly hope the tone of this forum picks up, Over the last few months I've really seen a decline, Not on Don's side, believe me he does a wonderful job and we cant thank him enough but on the forumgoers side. You people , and you know who you are, are always taking the defensive side, arguing, "the lake is too loud, when i was a kid/......." Well guess what you are not a kid anymore! Since then times have changed! Boats became more powerful! People started to make more money! More people go to winnipesaukee! If you dont like it, im sure there is plenty of those "more people" to fill your 100' on the lake! and hey maybe they'll even have a big offshore muscle machine to really wake up the shoreline!

Will
Old 10-15-2004, 05:35 AM   #9
BBS

Default Bait? Bait?

Well that post finally convinced me to join.....

http://www.lrsla.org/
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:01 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
You know what forget it! I am so sick of this forum and the pompous people who try to dictate it. Someday you will come to the realization that you do not own the lake,,,,,,!

Will
Yikes Will,chill out! Madrasah will always jump at the chance to bash what he doesn't agree with but Pepper simply asked a legitimate question that I happened to have also.Where in this article does it mention Biggus?I'm pretty sure most of us COULD look down as you so sarcasticaly put it but were we supposed to guess where on this page it had to do with Biggus?Look at your own post and see how vague it is before you start lashing out. SS
Old 10-15-2004, 09:45 AM   #11
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Something to consider Will is that a lot of people stopped viewing the thread that had the conflict in it, which means they don’t know Biggus’s identity. And do you really think that anyone is going to jump in and comment that is it a good a story? That would just open the door to another bashing.
Can I assume that this article was posted over at Off Shore Only, where the people who would really appreciate this story are?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:15 PM   #12
Merrymeeting

Add me to the list of folks who saw the original post, I DID look down, and still couldn't figure out what it had to do with the lake or Biggus. I now understand the latter but I'm still wondering about the former.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:04 PM   #13
Old Chris Craft

Default Attitude

Sadly, Will sounds like one of those Mass residents that gives all the others a bad name.
Old Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:10 PM   #14
Will

Default Mass resident?

Old, Go to any marina or yacht club on the lake and ask the people who own the boats where they are from. Go to the weirs on a summer night and ask any of the people there where they are from. Do you like money? Do you like having a job?

Better Thank us Mass people

Just remember you may not like us but you need us!!!

Will
Old 10-19-2004, 06:04 AM   #15
Old Chris Craft

Default Stereotypical attitude

Will,
Thank you for confirming my original opinion of you. Some people didn't know who or what you were talking about and you instantly cop an attitude with the entire forum. Your attitude is exactly why local's have such a negative opinion about people from Mass. It's sad since there are many good people in Mass but all it takes is a few to give the entire population a bad name. I can only imagine you are the type of person who comes to his condo on the weekend and thinks the entire lakes region owes him the world.

BTW, my good fortune does not rely on you coming to NH so, if you are here or not, it makes no difference to my income. I could care less who owns the big power boats on the lake since sadly, most of them probably have the same pompous attitude as yourself and constantly have to remind everyone that "without me being here, you people wouldn't have a thing."

'Chris
Old Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:31 AM   #16
Will

Talking your right

You know what chris your right. What was i thinking? Its definetly the people in the old wooden boats that come to the gas dock to get there 40$ and then drive away. Ya those are the people that keep the lakes region going. And believe me I dont think the lakes region owes me anything, not that I have to defend myself to you anyways. Oh yah and just to let you know I would take a look at most of the other posts and see who the real defensive people are on this forum. You know the "pompous" among us. Not to name anynames.

You know jealousy is the root of all evils and I think I really pushed a button here........hmmm.......kinda makes ya wonder, doesnt it?

Oh Well, Im gonna stop now as the lakes region probably needs me and my fellow big boaters to keep it from an economic downfall......

CHEERS!!!!
Will

Last edited by Will; 10-19-2004 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-19-2004, 04:55 PM   #17
KonaChick

*watching Will dig his own grave with his foot in his mouth*
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:49 PM   #18
ITD

Default Unlurking.........

I was in a local hardware store a few years ago registering a small sailboat. One of the other employees walked by complaining about the "Massholes" tying up traffic outside the store. The man doing my registration showed the employee my Mass. license with a chuckle and a disapproving headshake and we all laughed about the comment.

All it takes is a few, with bad attitudes, give the many that come to the Lake a bad reputation. I come from Mass. to the lake and I appreciate the warm grateful reception I get when I spend money or even when I don't spend money. Sure there are a few who don't like me because I'm from Mass., but so what? I don't go out of my way to antagonize them.

Last I saw NH has one of the highest median salary numbers in the country and unemployment below 3.5%. Pretty good numbers.

When I see the argument -

"Well guess what you are not a kid anymore! Since then times have changed! Boats became more powerful! People started to make more money! More people go to winnipesaukee! If you dont like it, im sure there is plenty of those "more people" to fill your 100' on the lake! and hey maybe they'll even have a big offshore muscle machine to really wake up the shoreline!"

- I think of Daytona Beach, where I went for Spring Break when I was in college. Many kids had the same attitude until the locals got sick of it and enacted legislation that ended Spring Break in Daytona.

You see, lack of manners, sooner or later will get dealt with. People with loud boats have bad manners. Period.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:27 PM   #19
Belmont Resident

Default Mass money.

Like the money
Like it even more when they leave after spending it.
The money is great for our area but what I have a hard time dealing with is the attitude that sometimes comes with it.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote