Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
bclaker

Default Kite Tube Safety

I have seen people flying on kites towed behind fast boats on paugus bay. How does this differ from skydiving safety wise.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Kites don't go as high - also need permit from Marine Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaker View Post
I have seen people flying on kites towed behind fast boats on paugus bay. How does this differ from skydiving safety wise.
Hi Bob,

The people on kites towed behind boats don't go anywhere near as high as a skydiver or jump plane would go. From a safety standpoint, Paugus Bay is not close to the airport or around the area of the landing path to the Laconia Airport. The towed kites are not subject to FAA or airport rules as far as I know. I believe they have to watch out for seaplanes (landing or taking off) but there are very few of those compared to the air traffic at Laconia Airport.

I'm NOT an expert but I understand that skydiving around airports IS a safe sport (my personal flight experience was in the early 1970's and I don't recall learning anything about flying in an area with parachutists or tandem jumpers around the airport back then - I flew primarily out of Green Airport in Providence/Warwick RI). It may be hard to directly compare skydiving around the airport with being towed behind a boat under a kite or parasail. They are different but both are safe when done properly.

Again, a NH Marine Patrol permit is required for a boat to tow a kite glider or parasail.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skipper of the Sea Que For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (05-21-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Pineedles

"Again, a NH Marine Patrol permit is required for a boat to tow a kite glider or parasail."

That's news to me, and I would guess most participating in this activity. Thanks Al, good info.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
"Again, a NH Marine Patrol permit is required for a boat to tow a kite glider or parasail."

That's news to me, and I would guess most participating in this activity. Thanks Al, good info.
I guess that is one of the hazards of being on the big lake as I'm on one of the smaller ones less than 4 miles away and we have been doing it for better than 25 years without any problems and we also have some fantastic shows on 4th of July with both units and flares attached.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Retired Ole Guy

And the operators of the boats towing these kites should stay out of Paugus bay to prevent possible mid air collisions with errant ski-divers at Laconia Airport
Retired Ole Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Not far from the airport? Ha! Remember the guy that crashed near the Margate Resort?
It doesn't matter how far from an airport you are. Keep your eyes open when your up in one of those kites......
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote