Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
4Fun

Default Vinyl siding repair

Hi,

I am looking in to the cost of adding a through the wall AC unit to our Condo. The building currently has Vinyl siding.

Assuming the HOA gies me the go ahead, does anyone have reccomendations for a siding guy who can cut the hole for me?

Only looking for the outside work. I can handle the inside...

Thanks
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
dpg

Any carpenter who knows his stuff should be able too. No, I don't have a contact but opening up your search for more than a siding installer will help. To trim it out correctly someone will need to find what is currently there, or at least a close replacement. Styles change and the color of anything added won't match exactly because of weathering. I have siding in Mass added a room a few years ago and the only thing available looked terrible against the old siding. Re-did the whole house.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Any carpenter who knows his stuff should be able too. No, I don't have a contact but opening up your search for more than a siding installer will help. To trim it out correctly someone will need to find what is currently there, or at least a close replacement. Styles change and the color of anything added won't match exactly because of weathering. I have siding in Mass added a room a few years ago and the only thing available looked terrible against the old siding. Re-did the whole house.
All I will really need is the J channel since no siding will be addded just cut away. I think the Condo manager might even have a stash of the original which will be nice.
I am trying to figure out what someone would charge to do this. If it was my house I would just do it myself but it's a Condo so they want someone qualified
Old 08-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
ArborTech

Where are you located?
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
camp guy

Default Vinyl siding repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
All I will really need is the J channel since no siding will be addded just cut away. I think the Condo manager might even have a stash of the original which will be nice.
I am trying to figure out what someone would charge to do this. If it was my house I would just do it myself but it's a Condo so they want someone qualified
Considering you are in a condo, quite possibly the condo management might have a tradesman who handles this type of outside work. Since this will be a permanent installation, and it is the outside of the condo, possibly the HOA will cover the outside portion of the cost.

Good luck.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Considering you are in a condo, quite possibly the condo management might have a tradesman who handles this type of outside work. Since this will be a permanent installation, and it is the outside of the condo, possibly the HOA will cover the outside portion of the cost.

Good luck.
I talked with the manager and they say it is my responsibility since I am adding them. If they were leaking or broken they would fix. For some reason the previous owner had them removed. Maybe for looks, noise who knows.

One is 6' off the gound and the other is about 12'. No high ladders neede. The framing must still be behind the drywall from the original sleeves so it should be an easy install. I will open the wall on the inside to determine location before we cut the outside.

I am located at the Weirs.