Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Steveo

Default wild weather right now in broads

Check out the wild weather on Snake Eyes. Look at water splashing over seawall
Attached Images

Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steveo For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
MDoug

Power's out on Bear! How about other islands?
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
ApS

Red face You Had to BE There...

It was pretty bad.

In the distance, I couldn't see any rain, and the sun started shining. It was hazy in the distance, and I saw the storm approaching, but it seemed to be building—even as I watched!

Two powerboats left at a gallop, going the opposite way into the storm passed by my sailboat just as I reached a neighbor's dock—only 50-feet from home!

I had to jump into shallow water to keep my boat from hitting the shore—and was not quite able to handle it against the waves and wind—until the mast broke off, the sail tore in half, and released much of the strain on me and the boat.

With wind-driven spray soaking me, I tied the boat to the "wrong side" of my dock, where the dock took the brunt of the waves for at least ½-hour. The fiberglass doesn't appear to be damaged—just need to repair sail and mast. (My first dismasting—ever—but I have spares ).

Fortunately, it was a comparatively "dry" storm—which allowed complete securing of the boat, but plenty of lightning. It was one roll of thunder that told me to turn around—after only a few minutes "out".

To hear approaching storms, I may need to tune-in—once again—to an AM station, as I've advised everyone else to do.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Wild Weather

Wish I were there! I've got a waterproof case for my Flip!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
ArborTech

Default Wild Weather

I parked my truck at the top of the bridge going over to Govenors Island in order to watch the storm come across the lake and all I have to say is WOW! The power of that wind coming down the channel was something else. I don't know who got the better view: me or the folks in boats trying to out run the storm.
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
dayvsea

How'd the infrastructure fare? My dads at Great east and haven't got an email, maybe lotta power outages there?
dayvsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
MDoug

Default Power Outage on Bear

We heard north Bear has power. Crew still working on south Bear at 4:00 pm. Looks as if we'll have to use the generator a bit more. Metrocast went out yesterday, too. When power is out, cable goes out shortly thereafter. Considering a switch to Direct TV.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
MDoug

Default Power Restored on Bear

Our end of the island got power restored around 6:30 pm yesterday, 26 hrs after outage began.

Good job, however, by NH Electric's Mike Reid and crew. Cable came back, too, but I am still thinking of Direct TV so that I can get service using generator power--can't get service on cable with main power out.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
It was pretty bad.

In the distance, I couldn't see any rain, and the sun started shining. It was hazy in the distance, and I saw the storm approaching, but it seemed to be building—even as I watched!

Two powerboats left at a gallop, going the opposite way into the storm passed by my sailboat just as I reached a neighbor's dock—only 50-feet from home!

I had to jump into shallow water to keep my boat from hitting the shore—and was not quite able to handle it against the waves and wind—until the mast broke off, the sail tore in half, and released much of the strain on me and the boat.

With wind-driven spray soaking me, I tied the boat to the "wrong side" of my dock, where the dock took the brunt of the waves for at least ½-hour. The fiberglass doesn't appear to be damaged—just need to repair sail and mast. (My first dismasting—ever—but I have spares ).

Fortunately, it was a comparatively "dry" storm—which allowed complete securing of the boat, but plenty of lightning. It was one roll of thunder that told me to turn around—after only a few minutes "out".

To hear approaching storms, I may need to tune-in—once again—to an AM station, as I've advised everyone else to do.
Wow APS! That is a scary situation and I am glad that you and your boat weathered the storm. Sorry about your mast. It's a good thing it didn't land on you!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
MDoug

Default Another Blow on 6/18

Outran this one from Y Landing and tied up at the dock on Bear before the wind hit!

So far, power's still on here. Generator's ready; I bought gas last week.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #11
ApS

Post A Different Kind of Thunderstorm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDoug View Post
Another blow on 6/18. Outran this one from Y Landing and tied up at the dock on Bear before the wind hit!
I had company, and we watched the 6/18 storm build up in the northwest—over the Ossipees. I predicted it would hit in 15-minutes—and it did just that! There was plenty of wind, some rain, but we didn't get any hail here.

The 6/18 storm was estimated to have 60-MPH winds. But the storm I "didn't see coming on 6/09"—that dismasted my boat—was 'way over that!

On 6/09—strong as it was—at least I didn't have to endure the hail that is reported to have accompanied the 6/18 storm.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote