Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
OCDACTIVE

Default yum yum shop?

Ok.. First before everyone goes nuts, I love the yum yum shop.. Always have. Growing up as a boy in Wolfboro it used to be a favorite stop then and still is today.

However, I had my first disappointment this past weekend and didn't know if anyone else had noticed.

Well first the "good". I brought my 2 year old son in so he could experience it the for the first time. He was astounded at all the wonderful cookies and cakes on display and the gentleman behind the counter promptly got him a gingerbread cookie. He loved it. My wife and I also purchased a cookie and as always it was GREAT!

I got my favorite loaf of rasin bread for breakfast (frosted of course) and asked for an order of hermit cookies. This was the first time the hermit cookies came in a pre-set amount (again haven't been there in a few summers) packaged in a plastic container. I noticed they were a bit smaller but figured I could use to lose a few pounds anyway.

Well everything was great, however when eating the hermit cookies they definately didn't seem to be as fresh. They were harder then I ever remember and I didn't know if I got a bad batch or if anyone else had noticed.

By any means I will not consider pulling business, I plan to mention something next time I am there but was just wondering if anyone else noticed?
OCDACTIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
john60ri

Default Candy!

This is a bit off topic: Has anyone been to Yummies Candy & Nuts store in Kittery Maine? Huge candy shop, wall to wall candy, stacked to the ceiling. Candies you remember from the '50s and '60s. We were there last November. Fun place, right next to the Coachman Inn on Rt. 1, across from the outlet stores.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Irrigation Guy

Default good grief

That reply is waaayyyy off topic, and out of the lakes region to boot.

OCD, sorry bout the cookies, I'm sure you'll give the yumyum another try.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Lucky1

Oh........ this got me to missing the gingerbread house and the "fishing Pond" etc. We do not get to the Yum Yum shop as often as we used to as I am watching my weight and my fat. I wish I did not have to limit my sweets as there are so many good things all around our lake. Once in a while we will get a pie or fig squares etc. May the Yum Yum shop always be YUMMY.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
XCR-700

One of my favorite things to do on Winnipesaukee is the hit the Yum Yum Shop!

It doesn’t matter what time of the day it is I can always stop and get a box of goodies,,,

Sorry to hear the hermits were not as you expected, I know I would have been disappointed as well as they are one of my favorites.

I say try again, and don’t forget the toffee cookies! Or the raspberry or fig filled ones, or,,, well you get the picture!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I hate to say bad things about businesses but I too, am disappointed in the Yum Yum Shop. It used to be so wonderful consistently. In the past several years I have gotten my favorite cream filled doughnuts and the cream filling has been sour. I just don't think it is what it used to be. I used to go there regularly but don't now.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default I notice it too.

When the Yum Yum shop first open, it has always been a favorite stop in my family. Lately, I don't think it is as good as it use to be. Even my children, seem to think so. Today, my grandkids don't seem to have the passion for the place I once had.

I can't single out any of the goods, I think it is overall. I miss Love's Bite when Donna was there. Heck! She use to do all the pastries at 'Love's Quary'.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Grady223

Default Yum, Yum, Yum!

Been going there for as long as I can remember. Love everything. My 89 year old father-in-law insists on brings a supply of hermits, lemon squares and white mountain bread home with him every trip up. Also reminds us to pick him up supplies whenever are on our way back home. Hope Yum, Yum is there forever, like Black's, Hunter's and Bailey's Bubble - Wolfeboro would not be the same without them.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:46 AM   #9
Peter

The Yum Yum Shop is big part of my childhood experience of growing up on the lake. Several friends and a sister worked there during the summer. The best is the honey corn bread (or horny corn as we like to call it
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Wolfeboro_Baja

My wife and I have always loved the Yum Yum Shop as well. When we get up to Wolfeboro on vacation, we're in there at least 4-5 times a week!! We especially love their Neopolitans and Elephant Ears.....they're sooo delicious!!

Here's hoping these disappointments mentioned by OCD, Broadhopper and tis are just temporary and in the past now!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
The Yum Yum Shop is big part of my childhood experience of growing up on the lake. Several friends and a sister worked there during the summer. The best is the honey corn bread (or horny corn as we like to call it
Yes, I loved the honey cornbread. We used to toast it and their jelly donuts were the best I ever tasted. In the late 60's and early 70's my cousin's husband owned a custom made leather goods shop (Schillereff's Bovine) in Wolfeboro. We used to always go next door to the Yum Yum Shop (they used to be on the other side of main Street then) and hope they still had jelly donuts left.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
Island Girl

Default This is funny

We went to the Yum Yum shop yesterday. My boyfriend asked the woman if they had any fig squares. She said no we don't have any. He said, "No fig squares?" She said, "No, they are not a health food." I looked down in the display case where all the squares were and saw some with dark filling. I asked if they were date squares. She said, "No, they are fig squares."

Go figure!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
Go figure!
IG
Go figure? Ha Ha!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
KateT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Ok.. First before everyone goes nuts, I love the yum yum shop.. Always have. Growing up as a boy in Wolfboro it used to be a favorite stop then and still is today.

However, I had my first disappointment this past weekend and didn't know if anyone else had noticed.

Well first the "good". I brought my 2 year old son in so he could experience it the for the first time. He was astounded at all the wonderful cookies and cakes on display and the gentleman behind the counter promptly got him a gingerbread cookie. He loved it. My wife and I also purchased a cookie and as always it was GREAT!

I got my favorite loaf of rasin bread for breakfast (frosted of course) and asked for an order of hermit cookies. This was the first time the hermit cookies came in a pre-set amount (again haven't been there in a few summers) packaged in a plastic container. I noticed they were a bit smaller but figured I could use to lose a few pounds anyway.

Well everything was great, however when eating the hermit cookies they definately didn't seem to be as fresh. They were harder then I ever remember and I didn't know if I got a bad batch or if anyone else had noticed.

By any means I will not consider pulling business, I plan to mention something next time I am there but was just wondering if anyone else noticed?
Not everything at the Yum Yum hits a home run BUT it is still the charming shop that is a Wolfeboro staple. We are a three generation Yum Yum family and my grands love it as much as I did. One of my sons recalls being given his first free gingerbread man and was delighted to see his daughter have the same experience. His quote - "It's like a really nice drug dealer - hook them young."
And the blueberry pies - still the best ever! I do miss those amazing donut holes though.
KateT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
Coolbreeze

I can't understand why the owner doesn't improve on the raw space in the front of the shop. It is overgrown and simply does not welcome business. As neat as the store is and as good as the food is, why not let your main entrance show off your place more. The store has become an icon of the town. Every time I walk into the place I say to myself that the front sitting area is a goldmine for the business and it always is unmaintained and full of trash. People want to sit out and enjoy the morning or a bite at lunch why not give them the space to enjoy while they eat your goods?!
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #16
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
I can't understand why the owner doesn't improve on the raw space in the front of the shop. It is overgrown and simply does not welcome business. As neat as the store is and as good as the food is, why not let your main entrance show off your place more. The store has become an icon of the town. Every time I walk into the place I say to myself that the front sitting area is a goldmine for the business and it always is unmaintained and full of trash. People want to sit out and enjoy the morning or a bite at lunch why not give them the space to enjoy while they eat your goods?!
Agreed Coolbreeze. I've often wondered the same. They just have to look across the street to the little sitting area outside the competition to see how well it can work.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #17
lakershaker

Default Favorite Tradition

We love the Yum Yum shop, especially the cheese danish! My only complaint is if we don't get there early enough, they run out of them. Growing up, my grandfather and I would boat over from Rattlesnake, him letting me drive, and we would go there for a box of pastry to bring back for everyone else at camp(box wrapped with the blue and white string), and he would go to Black's to get his paper. Those trips with him are some of my fondest memories.

Now, I go over every weekend with my own children, and have the same ritual. They love the Yum Yum for the danish and gingerbread, and the love Black's for the "stuff" you can hardly find anymore anywhere else. It will be a sad day when either one of those shops closes...

As a side, I also remember the Yum Yum when there were several other locations, including Haverhill MA where I grew up.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lakershaker For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (07-01-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #18
sunset on the dock

I have a soft spot for the Yum Yum because I remember it as a kid and like to take my 11y/o there who loves it. Things do seem to be going downhill year after year since the senior Kelley's have died. It seems whenever you go in they are out of sugar or honey raised donuts. This would never happen in years past.So Monday the 2 of us head in early hoping to get donuts...the donut machine was broken. I know these things happen but it always seems to be something here. Also they need to clean up the front of the building.

I'll probably keep going until my dying day especially since the little guy seems to have imprinted on it but I have to admit lately when I'm by myself I go to hunter's for their French crueller...and it happens to be cheaper than a Yum Yum donut.

Last edited by sunset on the dock; 07-27-2010 at 02:36 PM.
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #19
LakeSnake

Also went to the Yum Yum on Sunday early (say 9:30) with the family and was disappointed. The shelves were almost bare. I think there was about five doughnuts and 10 muffins. The muffins where smaller than the ones you get DD. There was very little pastry either. We ended up leaving to go elsewhere. This was our first visit of the season and most likely our last.

Too bad - the family and I really enjoyed the place back when it was run a little more attentively.
LakeSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #20
beagle

Default donut fryer is broken

I too stopped at the yum yum shop for donuts yesterday. I guess the fryer is broken and the company who sells the fryers keeps none in stock but instead makes new fryers to order. So I guess it will be a week or so before they will be up and running. BTW it opens at 7 am, so the earlier the better, and their danish are great!!
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #21
Barbara

The tourists and summer people seem to love the Yum Yum Shop, but most of us who live here don't seem to feel the same way. I personally prefer the baked goods from the IGA bakery!!! If anyone is looking for special cakes and pastries, Riverstone Bakey in No. Conway is FABULOUS!! Well worth the ride for a special occasion cake. It's as good as any upscale NYC pastry shop.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #22
camp guy

Default yum yum shop

Sadly, the Yum Yum Shop has lost its edge in the pastry arena. However, in its heyday, it was the BEST, and, interestingly enough, one by-product of those days was the emergence of a loyal following among summer residents and repeat summer tourists, almost cult-like, passed down from generation to generation and perpetuating the tradition of "going to the Yum Yum Shop", even during its decling days.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #23
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
The tourists and summer people seem to love the Yum Yum Shop, but most of us who live here don't seem to feel the same way. I personally prefer the baked goods from the IGA bakery!!! If anyone is looking for special cakes and pastries, Riverstone Bakey in No. Conway is FABULOUS!! Well worth the ride for a special occasion cake. It's as good as any upscale NYC pastry shop.
NH natives would never call me a local because I was born elsewhere, but I've lived here most of my life, and I don't see myself ever living elsewhere.

Whether I'm considered a local or not, I totally agree with Barbara! We had Riverstones make special cakes for our 25th anniversary. They were SO-OH-OH good! Very nice folks to deal with, too. Actually, I'm kind of glad we don't live any closer! On the other hand, we've just never been impressed by Yum Yum's baked goods. We're frequent flyers at the IGA bakery, though.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #24
BackBay

Another local checking in - don't even get me started about the owner ...
BackBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #25
sunset on the dock

anyone know if the donut machine is up and running? We skipped the Yum Yum last weekend because we weren't sure.
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #26
DEJ

Give them a call at (603) 569-1919.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #27
RamJet

Default Fryalator was broken as of Sumday

We stopped by for Gingerbread cookies. All was good except no doughnuts because the fryaloator was broken.
sunset on the dock (08-05-2010)
Old 08-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #28
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamJet View Post
We stopped by for Gingerbread cookies. All was good except no doughnuts because the fryaloator was broken.
OHHHH..... This reminded me of the Gingerbread House that is long gone but was fun for little ones. How they used to love to try to catch plastic fish from the small fish pond with the rods they had there. They also had candy and some small gifts to buy as well. Nice to have so many wonderful memories of our wonderful lake.

We used to go to the Yum Yum Shop more when we rented a cottage that was half way between Wolfboro and Meredith. Now we tend to not get to Wolfboro nearly as often as we live much closer to Meredith.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #29
rrr

Default Still no donuts

Was there yesterday morning. Still no donuts - but their raisin bread is great!
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #30
nj2nh

Default Gingerbread House - Melvin Village

It was called tha Hansel and Gretel Shop, not the Gingerbread House although it certainly looked like one. I fished there and was so disappointed when it disappeared. It did reopen for a short while so my boys got to fish there as well. Now it is just empty and bears little resemblance to the original store of my youth.

nj2nh
Old 08-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #31
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
It was called tha Hansel and Gretel Shop, not the Gingerbread House although it certainly looked like one. I fished there and was so disappointed when it disappeared. It did reopen for a short while so my boys got to fish there as well. Now it is just empty and bears little resemblance to the original store of my youth.

nj2nh
Yes, you are right! I forgot that it looked like a gingerbread house but was indeed called the Hansel and Gretel Shop. I wish it was still there but no luck with wishes. Thanks for reminding me of the name.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #32
beagle

Default donuts are back

Walked by the YumYum last night and saw a sign "Donuts are Back"!
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #33
Chris Exley

Default Loved the Hansel and Gretle shop

Every year mom and dad would take me there to fish and get candy. I remember it being opened back up a few years ago...I took my kids. They weren't nearly as impressed as I was (Of course I was three, and they were teenagers). Oh well. We just have the memories now.
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #34
Jonas Pilot

Default "Donuts are Back"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post
Walked by the YumYum last night and saw a sign "Donuts are Back"!
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #35
gtxrider

Default the old days

Used to go to the Yum Yum Shop when it was across the street, Blue Berry Muffins (yum yum).

Have not been in the current location in years...I needs a weed wacker.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote