Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
feb

Default Any experiences getting a Variance

We are considering installing a gazebo at our place and would like to put it approx. 15 feet from the shore. In Meredith, the setback, I believe, is 60 feet. Given that, it looks like we will have to apply for a variance. Would anyone care to share your experiences with the process of applying for a variance and how successful you were? Any hints/tips regarding the application/process?

Also, is it possible that if we do get a variance approved for this that we may never get another variance, regardless of the project? Just wondering if the 1st variance is "free" so to speak but you better not waste it on a minor project when you may need another one down the road.

Thx.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:23 AM   #2
Onshore

I'm not sure what Meredith's setback for structures like gazebos is, but I do know that the state's Comprehensive Shoreland Protection Act requires a 20 ft setback to accessory structures such as gazebos. There is also a 150 sq ft size limit on any construction within 50 ft of the water line.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:01 PM   #3
robjnh

Feb,

Others can comment but I think you can have an outbuilding that has a footprint of less than 150 sq/ft as long as it is 20 feet or more from the shoreline. See the link below.

I also beleive that this is a DES rule and not a Meredith rule as it it not a permanent structure but rather an outbuilding.

We built a home in Meredith on Winnisquam 2 years ago and the town building inspector is a good guy but very, very tough on shorline management. We were doing very little to disturb the water front and we still needed to qoute chapter and verse of the state laws to complete the project.

http://www.des.state.nh.us/factsheets/sp/sp-7.htm

Last edited by robjnh; 04-15-2004 at 03:13 PM. Reason: new info
robjnh is offline   Reply With Quote