Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2014, 05:05 AM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Time Warner TV Cable Question

Time Warner cable TV here in Lakes Region.

Local channels.
Boston channels or Maine channels.

Which do you get? If you have Time Warner Cable.

Years ago there was some sort of FCC ruling that stated that if in Belknap County one would get the Boston channels as local channels and if in Carroll County - the local channels were the Maine channels. Does this still apply to Time Warner Cable?

Those with Time Warner Cable - which do you get for local channels and which county do you have home in?

This is about Time Warner Cable only. And local channels only. And which county you reside in.

Thanks.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
Chaselady

We're in Carroll County (Tuftonboro) and got Maine channels with Time Warner and now with Directv. It's an FCC decision, depending on what your billing address is.
Good Luck.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default The Funny Candy Company rules

The cable from TWC comes out of North Conway since the Adelphia days and the TWC head-end is now out of Portland. It has been my assumption that Adelphia's North Conway roots triggered the decision to keep Carroll county in the Portland advertising area. Today, it is cheaper for TWC to keep it that way, because they don't have to buy the Boston stations. It would be interesting to know the lobbying that went on to get the original decision. I've sent a letter of complaint to the FCC, but heard nothing back. The problem extends beyond TWC though. If you try to sign up for Aereo, the remote antenna service, you will find support in Center Harbor, but not Moultonborough, due to the same FCC ad region mapping. Perhaps those in northern Carroll country feel more like Mainers, but here in the lakes region, I believe the affinity is more to Boston.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
nhboat61

We live in Carroll County - Wakefield and we got both Maine and Boston stations as well as WMUR.

At certain times with if one of the affiliate stations shuts off per a FCC regulation and get the more local affiliate - NBC and ABC
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default LakeGeezer repsonse

Many of the baby boomers in the Belknap County and North area grew up with Maine stations. Boston stations were non existence during the days of antennas. WMTW use to broadcast off Mt Washington until WMUR made a protect. Then there was a big flax about no TV service in the North Country. FCC basically did nothing. Thanks God Public TV listen and they have stations in Littleton and Berlin.

Now the North Country was 'forced' to use cable or satellite to get regular stations. I was forced to cable when the FCC turn the airwaves to digital in 2008. I could not get any stations except for public TV.

Last year FCC claim Belknap County will no longer carry the Portland market and WMTW went dark. What is odd they allow the other two Portland channels to continue.

They call this progress, I call it hell. Boston stations and WMUR has little news for the North Country. Good thing I can stream WMTW news on my PC or smartphone. Their weather is far more accurate than WMUR and the Boston stations.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhboat61 View Post
We live in Carroll County - Wakefield and we got both Maine and Boston stations as well as WMUR.

At certain times with if one of the affiliate stations shuts off per a FCC regulation and get the more local affiliate - NBC and ABC
You have Time Warner Cable and you get all of the Boston channels AND all of the Maine channels and your home is in Carroll County?
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
phoenix

moultonboro gets Maine but Center Harbor gets Boston . I would prefer Boston but haven't been able to figure out how
Old 05-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
Sully

In Moultonboro, you get Portland affiliates you also get WHDH. You do not get WBZ or WCVB. When the NBC programming is identical WHDH will be blacked out. I have fought long and hard with TWC in order to get them to only black out WHDH when programming is in fact duplicated. It is much better more accurate now than it has been in the past so you are able to rely on WHDH for a Boston newscast.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
phoenix

that is true but I don't think you get Boston news which is what I want and yes you don't get the other two networks out of boston
Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
wifi

Default Its really simple

If you live in Carrol County, then Portland is home

If you live in Belknap County, then Boston is your home

Carrier independent, FCC rules state the home market can block outside
markets if they so desire. So, Channel 6 (Portland) can have Channel 7 (Boston) blocked, and visa versa, if they feel threatened by competition
in their home markets.

WMTW moved off Mt Washington, because of the digital channel change, and they would no longer be able to broadcast their analog signal at high power.

Channel 9 is the special exception, by Congressional law, they have the whole state.

I think we have been thru this in another thread ?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (05-12-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
Sully

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
that is true but I don't think you get Boston news which is what I want and yes you don't get the other two networks out of boston
As a matter of fact, I reside in Moultonboro and I watch the Boston news on WHDH seven days a week. Channel 7.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Channel 7 is NBC, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
As a matter of fact, I reside in Moultonboro and I watch the Boston news on WHDH seven days a week. Channel 7.
Do you get the Boston ABC ch 5 and CBS ch 4 channels, or are they Maine Channels for ABC and CBS?

Also, do you get the Maine NBC channel?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
Sully

We do not. We do get the NBC affiliate from Portland.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sully For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (05-14-2014)