Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
Pineedles

Default Why Centre Harbor?

I know the cradle for the Mount is in Centre Harbor, and not that I'm complaining, but does anyone know why the winter home, even when its not in its cradle but docked, in Centre harbor? It visits Center Habor so infrequently these days, so its nice to have it there for an extended time but..?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Don

Center Harbor is the site of their maintenance facility. Even when it's not up on the cradle they are still performing maintenance during the off-season. Doris and Sophie are kept and maintained there as well.

Last edited by Don; 10-19-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Kamper

It was probably the most suitable location they could afford. Protected anchorage. Firm ground. Properly sloped (or easily landcapable) for the marine railway. Close to a good highway (or raill road) to bring in parts of any size.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Pineedles

Default History of maintenance facility

The Mount carried my great great grandmother to the docks of Centre Harbor from Alton Bay for her trip to Moutonboro First Point from Salem, MA (it also stranded her on one mile once), but how was it established that Centre Harbor would be the maintenance facility? Is there a building that houses tools to "Fix" the Mount?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
M/V_Bear_II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Is there a building that houses tools to "Fix" the Mount?
Yup. Also conveniently within walking distance of a hardware store

(Before anyone jumps on me, I'm sure that the maintenance shed predates Heath's.)
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Pineedles

Default I have seen the shed, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/V_Bear_II View Post
Yup. Also conveniently within walking distance of a hardware store

(Before anyone jumps on me, I'm sure that the maintenance shed predates Heath's.)
Is there someone that can confirm that this (former jail cell) structure is the maintenance facitity? Any pictures of inside the structure?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Former jail???

I can not recall that piece of history. The large red barn is the Maintenance Facility. I believe Center Harbor was chosen way back then, because the land lent itself to an easy spot to build the railway. It also was an available piece of land. Weirs didn't have the space for all that, and all other ports were property of the town.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
Pineedles

Default Jail cell

Back in August of 2007 I started a thread called "Reminiscences of Centre Harbor". It was a recollection of Centre Harbor by my grandfather, in it he wrote, " Near the Mount’s wharf and right at the shore of the lake was the Center Harbor jail. It was a small wooden structure with only a door and a barred window. One afternoon a young fellow (I dare not guess on names.) was jailed for attempted murder. All the kids from all around gathered and gawked at the barred window, Apparently the judges were not as lenient as today, for the prisoner got a long jail sentence." I think I remember seeing the shed adjoining this "cell".

He doesn't talk about the maintenance shed though. But your explanation seems to make sense for why it was there, WBB. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Pineneedles

I also think that the shipyard as it is today started sometime around the early 1940's. The SS Mount Washington burned at Weirs at the tail end of '39 and the SS Mount Washington II was constructed and launched in Lakeport in '40. Although I believe when she was laid up for the war effort in '42 that happened at Center Harbor.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
Misty Blue

Default The Mount in Winter

This thred got me to thinking (man it hurts!) that I have never seen a picture of the old Mount during Winter at any other location than the Weirs.

Pictures of her in the ice free channel by Endicot rock and pictures at the town docks where she finially met her end, during Winter.

It is possible that the new SS Mount Washington (sans engines) was laid up for the duration of WW2 in Center Harbor. Good docking facilities, deep water, work shop and marine railway all in one spot.

The old Mount must have drawn at least two feet less than the new one and she was bottomed out when she burned. Maybe it is a bit shallow for the new one.

Look at the alternatives. Alton; Rt. 11 to close for a workshop. Wolfboro; No room for a shop. Weirs; Too steep.

Yup. I'd put her just where she will be in week or so. Besides she looks really cool at Christmas time!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote