Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2015, 07:32 AM   #1
laddheath

Default Taking a trip to Sleepers

Hello all,

I am thinking of taking a walk out to our cottage sleepers island this afternoon or tomorrow. I/we would snowshoe from WAM to Sleepers. Has anyone been out there that can give me a report on the ice conditions/thickness?

Thanks,
laddheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
Webbsatwinni

I was at the rattlesnake landing near sleepers last weekend, there were multiple bob houses there and some that were past sleepers and out towards the tip of Rattlesnake. That is not an indication of safe ice but it might help your decisions.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
Island Girl

Default Be Careful

Others more knowlegeable should answer. It is a long way throught the channel from WAM. I would want to make sure many had traveled before me, on the same day. You might consider your walk from a spot closer such as Rattlesnake Landing.

No one is ever going to tell you it is safe as there are so many variables. Just because there are snowmobile tracks does not mean it is safe as they can skim over thin ice where a person would fall in.

I am not seeing any activity on the webcams to indicate people are out there except in the bays such as Alton Bay.

I am sure others who have Sleepers and Rattlesnake camps can shed some light on the current conditions.

Dont forget ice picks and a life jacket!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
I am not seeing any activity on the webcams to indicate people are out there except in the bays such as Alton Bay.
I noticed what IG did, beyond a few coves, the webcam activity is non existent and I wouldn't want to be the 1st.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
Sal

Default Heads up !

News from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department
Phone: (603) 271-3211
Email: info@wildlife.nh.gov
For information and online licenses, visit http://www.wildnh.com

Sgt. Bradley Morse: 603-271-3361
Lt. Heidi Murphy: 603-271-3129
Jane Vachon: 603-271-3211
January 30, 2015

See photos at http://wildnh.com/Newsroom/2015/Q1/s...ce-013015.html

PICKUP TRUCK GOES THROUGH THE ICE ON MEREDITH BAY

CONCORD, N.H. – A full-size pickup truck fell through the ice on Meredith Bay at about 5:30 this morning (Friday, January 30, 2015), as its owner John Ash, age 44, of Laconia maneuvered the vehicle, intending to set up a vending station at the New England Pond Hockey Classic.

The incident occurred about 100 yards from shore, at a point where the ice was just four inches thick. The outlet to Mill Falls enters Meredith Bay nearby, so moving water below the ice had prevented thicker ice from forming. About 30 feet from the scene, the ice was 10 inches thick.

As Ash heard the ice crack, he put his window down and attempted to reverse the vehicle, but it nose-dived through the ice. Fortunately, the water was only about six feet deep there, and the front of the truck came to rest on the lake bottom. Ash was able to scramble out through the truck window and escape unharmed.

N.H. Fish and Game Conservation Officers were notified and arrived at the scene about 6 a.m. The vehicle was already in the process of being extracted from the ice with winches and chains by Gulbicki's Towing, which commonly assists with removing vehicles that have fallen through the ice. The removal operation has reportedly been completed at this time.

"No matter how cold it is, or how many people you see on the ice, you have to check the ice yourself, because conditions are variable," said Fish and Game Sgt. Bradley Morse. "With a big snowmobile weekend underway, and ice fishing tournaments coming up in the near future, we cannot stress enough the importance of testing ice thickness before you go out."

The bottom line, says Morse, is that ice does not form consistently across a waterbody. The size of a lake or pond, as well as temperature, depth, currents, springs and wind exposure all can affect ice formation. Early season snow cover can also insulate ice from cold temperatures and slow ice formation.

That's why Fish and Game urges everyone heading out onto the ice to exercise caution. Though all ice is potentially dangerous, the U.S. Army Cold Regions Research & Engineering Laboratory in Hanover, N.H., offers a "rule of thumb" on ice thickness: There should be a minimum of six inches of hard ice before individual foot travel, and eight to ten inches of hard ice for snow machine or All-Terrain Vehicle travel.

Keep in mind that thick ice does not always mean safe ice. It is possible for ice to be thick, but not strong, because of varying weather conditions. Weak ice is formed when warming trends break down ice, then the slushy surface re-freezes. Be especially careful of areas with current, such as inlets, outlets and spring holes, where the ice can be dangerously thin.

Tips for staying safe on the ice include:

* Stay off the ice along the shoreline if it is cracked or squishy. Don't go on the ice during thaws.

* Watch out for thin, clear or honeycombed ice. Dark snow and ice may also indicate weak spots.

* Small bodies of water tend to freeze thicker. Rivers and lakes are more prone to wind, currents and wave action that weaken ice.

* Don't gather in large groups or drive large vehicles onto the ice.

* If you do break through the ice, don't panic. Move or swim back to where you fell in, where you know the ice was solid. Lay both arms on the unbroken ice and kick hard. This will help lift your body onto the ice. A set of ice picks can help you pull yourself out if you do fall through the ice; wear them around your neck or put them in an easily accessible pocket. Once out of the water, roll away from the hole until you reach solid ice.

- ### -

--
Copyright 2015 New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, 11 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03301.
For usage policy, visit http://www.wildnh.com/Inside_FandG/usage_policy.htm.
Comments or questions concerning this list should be directed to jane.vachon@wildlife.nh.gov
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sal For This Useful Post:
Jersey Ed (01-30-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
laddheath

Hi All thx for the help. I think we are going to wait a couple weeks to head out there.
laddheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
On The Edge

Default Sleepers Island trip

I walked out sleepers island today. I mid way up on the side that faces rattlesnake. There is no electricity in my location. I didn't see any bubblers working so you may want to call Electric Coop.
On The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
Webbsatwinni

How was the ice?