Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
gecko1

Default New to Lake Winn - Regal 24 Fasdeck

I am new to the lake this year and have heard many stories about the type of boat to get. I am currently looking at a Regal 24 Fasdeck. I hear positive things in that in combines the V hull shape with the room of a deck boat. Some have also tried to steer me towards a 26 vs 24 saying it would feel much more comfortable.

Two questions - does anyone have feedback on the quality and ride of this boat for Lake Winni and would I regret getting a 24 vs a 26. Step up is expensive!

Thanks Much!
gecko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
laddheath

Although I can't comment on the boat you are looking at I can tell you that I started on the lake with a 21 ft Glastonbury and it was simply to small for the conditions, we found ourselfs off for the day and sometimes getting back to the marina was challenging. We upgraded to a chap sunesta 244 and it is more than enough boat for Winni. We still don't go out on supper windy days but for the most part no one does. I believe my Sunesta is build or marketed like the boat you are looking at deep V hull performance with a lot of room on top. In our case it is great and the best of both worlds. Good luck!
laddheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

IMO bigger is better on Winnipesaukee.......if you are in Weirs bay on a saturday afternoon or down by Winter Harbor with a strong NW wind, a 40 footer won't seem like enough.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
RobertsCove0

I have a 2450 Regal Cuddy. It is a great lake boat. It can handle rough water and it was a reasonable price. A 26' definitely is a lot more boat and can handle it all. You cant go wrong with either option the step out hull on the Regal makes the boat fast I can blow away just about any other runabout with my regal, it goes a little over 60 on flat water.
RobertsCove0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

If you are going to feel comfortable, I would go with at least a true 21 foot hull. All of these boats are misleading in their sizes nowadays with gigantic swim platforms counting in LOA. I think the 24 you are looking at will be fine on most days.

Enjoy the lake!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
Diver Vince

We were looking at purchasing a 24 or 26 foot Cobalt. Ultimately decided on the 26 and glad we did.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I agree on bigger is better...

We had a 19 Ft Sunbird, deep vee, designed for ocean use, but it got tossed around pretty well, especially on weekends. So we played golf on the weekends, going out maybe on Sat night to see the concerts at Alton Bay (we dock there as well) or going out Sun afternoon late, when the traffic settled down.

Now we have our 25 ft Mariah Bowrider, and we can comfortably go out on the weekends...so, we leave the golf course to the working stiffs and weekend visitors, and go out on out boat on the the weekends. Love it when things all come together .

PS We play golf during the week, with early tee times so we can go out on the boat in the afternoon.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Red apple

Answer to your question is yes that's a Great Lake boat and if you can afford to spend the extra for the 26' go for it as you will not regret it.
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
XCR-700

Default One boaters opinion

First, let me say welcome!

Having traveled Winnipesaukee over the last 50 years in everything from a rubber boat to the MT Washington and a whole bunch in between I will echo what has been said with a few more details.

Assuming decent weather and a chop of 1 ½’ or less I personally find anything that is as VitaBene says is a true 21’ hull up to the mid 20’s to be a good all-around boat for this lake provided it has is a deep V hull and a decent gunnel height. Obviously bad weather/high wind is a game changer and in that case ONLY size helps!

An example a poor Winnipesaukee boat is my 20” Glastron/Carlson ski boat which really has an 18’ bottom, a very soft V hull and super low gunnel height (at rest I can reach over the side from the drivers seat and touch water) This boat is super fun during mid-week when no one is on the water and there is no wind. Add a good breeze and typical Saturday summer traffic and you get beat up real quick in this boat.

My current boat is a 23’ Caravelle Interceptor cuddy. It is not a full deep V, but decent, and the 23’ does not include the length of the swim platform (which would make it like 25’ – 26’). So far we like boat this a lot, but it was a compromise from what I wanted, a 26’ Wellcraft Excalibur. We opted for the smaller boat to save a few dollars, to make trailering easier (I do not leave my boat in the water) and because with every foot longer hull you get, the boat becomes a bit more difficult to maneuver around the often crowded Winnipesaukee docks. (something to give consideration if you like to visit the many towns around the lake). The 26 Wellcraft would surly have been a better bad weather boat and offered a bigger cabin, but for 90% of our usage, the 23” does the job quite well.

I would also strongly advocate a cuddy cabin boat over a bowrider. I personally HATE having people riding in the front, it really makes me uncomfortable with the many poor drivers we see these days. I also find that having a place to store personal items, to change if needed, and just to get out of the sun. Its also a good place for a porta-potty, which can a life saver with a family. The is also the perk of another place lounge as the front deck allows you to stretch out and not have others climbing over you all the time as when on the read deck.

Well that was probably more than you were looking for. We have our most fun finding a sandbar and dropping anchor and breaking out the floaties, or maybe some light waterskiing or tubing, so our 350 Magnum power is more than enough. Don’t get me wrong, I like a big honkin motor as much as the next guy, but just don’t make any use of it these days with young kids, busy weekend traffic, and speed limits, so use caution blowing the budget on big engine options.

Oh and last item, make sure you get a big bimini top, its almost an essential with a family and if you want to spend any serious amount of time on the water.

Best of luck with the shopping, it’s a lot of work, but look at as many boats as you can before pulling the trigger. Money being no consideration the Chis Crafts look GREAT! Just way over my budget,,, (someday,,,)

Hope this helps, ATB - GH

[IMG] photo P1000124.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by XCR-700; 04-28-2013 at 07:21 PM.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Dave R

Welcome to the forum. I think I know you from iboats. Good luck!
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Ride & Dive

We have a 24' Sea Ray Sundeck with the 350 mag. Love it. Overall 26' with the swim platform, handles great in the chop, plenty of room and storage....a great all day boat.
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote