Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
ACME on the Broads

Default Pop's Clam Shell 2017

What a beautiful spring day, thought about Pop's clams all day. Checked on Google and said "Open Today 11-8PM". Got in the car drove 45 minutes only to find Pop's closed! Terribly disappointing but, went to Johnson's and it was fantastic. Frankly, every bit as good; best part, their prices were at least 15-20% cheaper! Come on Pop's, someone should be checking your hours on line and not relying on a building sign that most (like us) who drive 45 minutes or more would never see.

Good day for a ride though and it helped us to remember why we love this great state and our beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee so very much.
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
8gv

Using Google Maps I have found many a restaurant. Google wants to tell me their operating hours and their staus of open or closed.

It seems that they often don't get seasonal businesses right.

Other places are still listed but have been permanently closed for a while.

Now I call the restaurant to verify.

The Google Maps app is a good tool but a somewhat dull one sometimes.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
barefootbay

Come on Acme, Johnson's fried seafood is not even close to the quality of Pops or their portion size either !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barefootbay For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
pops

Hi
we open May 6th. We have always opened the first Saturday in May.
I have no control over the hours posted by google. Our website has correct hours. It was a beautiful day but I am still working on getting my place ready. We have remodeled our dinning room, exterior painting, yard clean up and interior updates to our kitchen. Our water meter just got set last week. Firing up a water system that has been winterized is always a fingers crossed situation. So I had to put on my plumbers hat that day. Things are getting finished up and progressing.
looking forward to seeing all our long time costumers and hopping for that same great weather on May 6th.
Thank You!
Pop's
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to pops For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (04-25-2017), Descant (04-27-2017), dippasan (04-27-2017), Electric man (04-24-2017), GBGX2 (04-24-2017), HAMPTONS (04-27-2017), Happy Gourmand (04-28-2017), ishoot308 (04-24-2017), Just Sold (04-24-2017), Lakemamma (04-24-2017), Merrymeeting (04-24-2017), Outdoorsman (04-24-2017), pondguy (04-25-2017), salty dog (04-27-2017), Slickcraft (04-24-2017), thinkxingu (04-24-2017), upthesaukee (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Went by this morning, paint scraping as prep for painting in progress. It will be a bit before the Ipswich Clam delivery truck pulls up.

Patience boys and girls.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
pops (04-24-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Early risers on Friday. From the website:
May through June
Friday: 4am – 8pm
Saturday: 11:30am – 8pm
Sunday: 11:30am – 7pm

Old 04-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
salty dog

Cant't wait!
Old 04-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Now a banner sign out front, opening May 6. As pops has already noted here.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Early risers on Friday. From the website:
May through June
Friday: 4am – 8pm
Saturday: 11:30am – 8pm
Sunday: 11:30am – 7pm

So I looked at pop's website with that 4 AM opening on Friday and two thoughts come to mind:

1. I never thought of fried clams as a breakfast food but I do really like them and Pop's are the best! Maybe I should think that over.

2. Maybe they are looking for help digging the clams at the beach and they want to get an early start?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #10
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
So I looked at pop's website with that 4 AM opening on Friday and two thoughts come to mind:

1. I never thought of fried clams as a breakfast food but I do really like them and Pop's are the best! Maybe I should think that over.

2. Maybe they are looking for help digging the clams at the beach and they want to get an early start?
Maybe that is how they serve clams in NYC
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:51 AM   #11
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs down Not a good start for pops

Went down to Alton last Sunday 5-21. Got there around 5:30 all set for some Scollops and Clams. The Menu board had all these RED TAGS over some item. That was to indicate they were not available, they had RUN OUT of everything you could do to prepare a Scollop or a Clam with.

I settled for Chicken Fingers and my wife had some fried Haddock. We also got some Fries which after several minutes got SOGGY and some Onion Rings that the Batter seemed "CAKEY" plus not much taste to the onions.

We will most likely go back in a while when the "Staff" is up to the TASK of presenting what we all expect of POP's.

PS, I like SCOLLOPS not scAllops!
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
GBGX2

Default Sounds Like Excellent Food Management Skills!

Running out of high cost items at the end of the day/weekend when you are not going to be open until the following weekend is, in my opinion, great restaurant management.

Some folks on here would read the owner the "Riot Act" for not having fresh seafood. We live in a seasonal area.... running a restaurant is hard enough.... give them a break.
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #13
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
Running out of high cost items at the end of the day/weekend when you are not going to be open until the following weekend is, in my opinion, great restaurant management.

Some folks on here would read the owner the "Riot Act" for not having fresh seafood. We live in a seasonal area.... running a restaurant is hard enough.... give them a break.
One would think "MEMORIAL WEEKEND" would be the time to be well stocked/open for business and go above and beyond at all cost. Even if that means throwing out some fresh seafood. Especially at a restaurant that is known for selling the best of the best. This is the weekend that will make the first impression.

So yeah, running out of high (ticket) items at the start of the season, in my opinion, poor restaurant management.

To each their own... First impressions an all that...
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
GBGX2

Default Wrong !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
One would think "MEMORIAL WEEKEND" would be the time to be well stocked/open for business and go above and beyond at all cost. Even if that means throwing out some fresh seafood. Especially at a restaurant that is known for selling the best of the best. This is the weekend that will make the first impression.

So yeah, running out of high (ticket) items at the start of the season, in my opinion, poor restaurant management.

To each their own... First impressions an all that...
Please note the date.... it was LAST Sunday the 21st. This had nothing to do with Memorial Day Weekend, I am confident they are well stocked for this weekend and going forward.

Please read the entire post before responding... "First Impressions an all that" indeed.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #15
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
Please note the date.... it was LAST Sunday the 21st. This had nothing to do with Memorial Day Weekend, I am confident they are well stocked for this weekend and going forward.

Please read the entire post before responding... "First Impressions an all that" indeed.
My apologies. I read your post from THIS MORNING, which did not reference an earlier visit and you did not quote your bad visit was from an earlier pre-holiday visit

If you choose to trash a restaurant for poor service that is before the full season, PLEASE SPECIFY DATES. You did not.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #16
GBGX2

Default Sigh.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
My apologies. I read your post from THIS MORNING, which did not reference an earlier visit and you did not quote your bad visit was from an earlier pre-holiday visit

If you choose to trash a restaurant for poor service that is before the full season, PLEASE SPECIFY DATES. You did not.
Outdoorsman.... your angst should be directed at Winnocturn, he was the poster who was complaining about last Sunday's experience. I have never had a bad experience at Pops.

I was in fact defending Pops.... once again, please read the entire thread and understand the context.

Bottom line is that Pops is great.... perhaps our paths will cross there !
Old 05-27-2017, 09:53 PM   #17
pops

Default why we some times run out

We order our seafood on Thursdays for a Friday delivery. As you know weather can change dramatically here in New England. Our business is very weather dependant. If it is at all rainy our business slows dramatically. The sun comes out we literally go from zero to wide open. I order carfully depending on what is forcasted. Throwing out clams is not an option at $130 a gallon. Dry scallops and frying clams can not be just picked up at the grocery store. We do our best not to run out but only being open three days a week in the spring makes that a tuff goal to make some times.
b.t.w.....can we change the title of this thread. We are open now.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:41 AM   #18
GBGX2

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops View Post
We order our seafood on Thursdays for a Friday delivery. As you know weather can change dramatically here in New England. Our business is very weather dependant. If it is at all rainy our business slows dramatically. The sun comes out we literally go from zero to wide open. I order carfully depending on what is forcasted. Throwing out clams is not an option at $130 a gallon. Dry scallops and frying clams can not be just picked up at the grocery store. We do our best not to run out but only being open three days a week in the spring makes that a tuff goal to make some times.
b.t.w.....can we change the title of this thread. We are open now.
You said it better but still confirmed my point!

You clearly care about your customers.

I trust you will have a great a season! Thank You!

Last edited by GBGX2; 05-28-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:24 AM   #19
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I finally had a chance to see what all the hoopla about Pop's was about last season--we're on the opposite side of the lake and returned five times! Loved it EVERY time.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote