Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
Rusty

Default 2017 electric utility rate comparison

Wolfeboro looks pretty good as the graph shows:
Attached Images

NH.Solar (04-04-2017), pondguy (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
NH.Solar

A great bit of information Rusty! From a solar installation perspective there is quite a difference too. Eversource currently net meters at a 1 to 1 rate, while the Co-op is net metering at 75 cents on the dollar ...not sure about Wolfeboro Power.
When a customer connected to the Eversource grid sends excess solar production back into the grid, they receive a credit for that unit of energy equal to what they would pay Eversource for it when they purchase the same amount of power from the grid.
The NHEC and Wolfeboro however are not a public utilities and thus don't have to function under the same legislated directives as Eversource, Unitil and Liberty. The Co-op pays you roughly 70 cents for the same unit of power they would sell you for a dollar. Even though a lot of folks will disagree, this actually seems fair to me. They have logistical costs in maintaining the grid that must be compensated for.
As you can imagine the dollar for dollar net metering forced on the public utilities is under constant lobbying for change by the public utilities and it looks as though there will be a change very soon! (maybe June 30th). For anyone connected to a NH public utility that has been considering installing a solar system, CONTRACT IT NOW! If your interconnect application is filed before the expected date, you would be locked in to the 1 for 1 rate until 2040. This has a HUGE effect on the cost of going solar.
Much more on this can be found on my website. There is even a tab dedicated specifically to installing a PV solar system in the NHEC territory ...and for you unpowered island folks, energy storage. I have an off grid installation tentatively scheduled for Ganzy Island this summer, and for an admitted solar geek this is very exciting!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
wifi

Sounds like we should get out greenhouses running in Wolfeboro
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Scott

Well how about that... I had no idea Wolfeboro had its own power service.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
ITD

I believe municipal electric systems were stopped from forming about 100 years ago. The towns that were able to set them up for the most part have been able to save their customers lots of money. I live in a town here in Mass that has a muni system and our electricity is consistently cheaper than towns that don't have systems. Our town just built a solar plant, which with solar credits will hopefully be a boon. It also helps with peak summer loads (when the sun is out). Good stuff.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Well how about that... I had no idea Wolfeboro had its own power service.

Wolfeboro used to have it's own power plant, but it doesn't anymore. It still has the Wolfeboro Municipal Electric Dept. but it buys it's power now. It was and I think still is leasing linemen from the NHEC but still have at least some of their own trucks.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Rusty (04-05-2017), trfour (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Wolfeboro used to have it's own power plant, but it doesn't anymore. It still has the Wolfeboro Municipal Electric Dept. but it buys it's power now. It was and I think still is leasing linemen from the NHEC but still have at least some of their own trucks.
Makes sense, running a power plant isn't cheap and the huge plants seem much more efficient than the smaller ones.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote