Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Super Sport or Montauk

Looking for a boat for my wife. Basically something small to go back and forth from Glendale docks to Welch. Pretty much decided on a Boston Whaler but am torn between the 150 Super Sport and the 150 Montauk.

I'm thinking the side console of the super sport might make it easier for her to dock than the center console of the Montauk.

Anyone have any experience with either of these that can offer some advice?

Also does the Montauk have a self bailing hull?? I know the Super Sport does and this is a must for us.

Thanks!

Dan
Old 03-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Just Sold

I do not own either of these boats but I looked at the specs and I think the Montauk would be a better commuting boat. It is 50# heavier than the Sport. The photos on their website shows no self bailing drains but, "high swamped capacity (2900#) ensure superior safety". The ability to walk around is very benificial and contributes to the ease of docking. I also like the windshield which is better for running in choppy conditions. I see many other benifits to the design as your wife's boat. In my opinion docking would be no different with either boat. I believe DRH has a Montauk.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Looking for a boat for my wife. Basically something small to go back and forth from Glendale docks to Welch. Pretty much decided on a Boston Whaler but am torn between the 150 Super Sport and the 150 Montauk.

I'm thinking the side console of the super sport might make it easier for her to dock than the center console of the Montauk.

Also does the Montauk have a self bailing hull?? I know the Super Sport does and this is a must for us.

Thanks!

Dan
Dan - My wife and I bought a new 2011 130 Super Sport, used it for four years, then sold it and bought a new 2015 150 Montauk last May.

We found that the 130 Super Sport was a bit too small for two adults. Also, I made the mistake of getting the 25hp version instead of the 40hp version, so the boat was fairly underpowered with two adults on board. A 150 Super Sport with its 60 hp outboard would have been a better choice for us.

However, we couldn't be happier with our 150 Montauk. We looked at both the 170 and 150 models and chose the 150. It has plenty of room for the two of us, has more than enough power with its 60hp Mercury "Command Thrust" outboard, and is easy to handle.

Personally, I prefer the center console style to the starboard-side console of the Super Sport model. The operator sits up higher in the Montauk than in the Super Sport models so has better visibility, and it's easy to walk the full length of the boat without having to step over the bench seat in the Super Sport models.

As for ease of docking, to me the center console design is better as the operator has good access to the dock posts regardless of which side of the dock the boat is brought in on. With our Super Sport, reaching dock posts on the starboard side was easy, but not so much when they were on the port side of the boat.

Interesting that you ask about whether the Montauk has a self-baling hull! I didn't think it did, since it has a bilge pump. However, Slickcraft recently told me that if the drain plug at the bottom of the bilge is removed and the automatic bilge pump is turned off, the hull will self-bail. I have not tried this yet, so can't give you a first-hand report. Perhaps Slickcraft can provide a bit more information about this. He and "J" owned a 150 Montauk for some time, so I'm sure he can describe their experience with it.

I think your decision of which model to buy is really going to be up to your (or your wife's!) personal preference. Both the 150 Super Sport and 150 Montauk boats are very well built and come with the same 60hp Mercury "Command Thrust" 4-stroke outboard, which has plenty of power to get up on a plane fast. One thing to ask the dealer about is the hull designs of the two models as I think they are different, so they may ride a bit differently in a chop.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase.
ishoot308 (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
ishoot308

Great info DRH! Thanks!

I did a little searching and yes both the Montauk and Super Sport have self bailing hulls by leaving the plug out when moored or docked. This is a definite must for us so that is good news.

Did you buy your boat at Sheps??

Thanks again for the great info!

Dan
Old 03-27-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Agree with DRH.

J got her 150 Montauk at Shep's and loved to boat. Now owned by Broken Glass (or maybe his wife) who also really likes the boat. As DRH reported, we found out from a BG post (after having owned the boat for 9 years) that it is actually self bailing.

Posts # 16-24 here:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...hlight=bailing

The center console makes it easy to dock either side. The windshield and either sit or stand makes for a bit of protection and good viability. The boat can take some pretty rough water as well.

And, as a special bonus, you can have a solar charger that sits perfectly on the front seat. A nice neighbor from 2 camps north gave it to us to charge J's Montauk.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
codeman671

I would go with the 15 montauk as well. I went through a few of the rage 14 and rage 15 jet boats as I wanted something small for traveling to and from Glendale. They were problematic but got the job done. After that I went to an 18 dauntless then a 20 dauntless. I know you will probably want new so go montauk. If you decide to look at used look for a 16 dauntless. The dauntless is a bit more suited for rough water than the montauk.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
DRH

Quote:
Did you buy your boat at Sheps??
Yes, we bought both the 130 Super Sport and 150 Montauk at Shep's in Meredith. We could have gotten a very good deal on a leftover 2014 170 Montauk at Shep's in Gilford, but it was bigger and more powerful (90 hp) than we wanted. When we bought the Montauk we had Shep's install the optional bimini, which is great on those hot summer days.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:50 AM   #8
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I would go with the 15 montauk as well. I went through a few of the rage 14 and rage 15 jet boats as I wanted something small for traveling to and from Glendale. They were problematic but got the job done. After that I went to an 18 dauntless then a 20 dauntless. I know you will probably want new so go montauk. If you decide to look at used look for a 16 dauntless. The dauntless is a bit more suited for rough water than the montauk.
We bought a 16 Dauntless with a 90hp Merc 4-Stroke. We are Broads side of Rattlesnake and have had it out in 4 footers without any problem. The flare on the front of the hull really pushes the waves off to the side. Power is pretty good, a little under powered for water skiing anyone big, works fine for the kids. It can be tricky around the dock, the bow can spin around too easily if it's windy. Awesome boat, we love ours
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Formula260SS For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #9
Gatto Nero

Default Another vote for Montauk

We have an '07 150 Montauk that I originally bought for the kids to use. Now I use it wherever I go locally. Always looking for a reason to go to the hardware store/supermarket/liquor store. The big boat is only used if we go long distances or if we have company. Great little boat. Easy to dock and maneuver. I like that fact that I can stand up and walk around it. Several times we've taken it to the fireworks in Center Harbor and been in the middle of the mass exodus and never felt unsafe.

I would not call it self draining. It does have a bilge and if that fails with the plug in it will fill the boat but if you turn it off and pull the plug it will only fill so much (maybe 15 gallons???) then stop. As long as nothing is stored in the stern, like life jackets, you have nothing to worry about as it won't reach the helm or the seat. You could also opt for a mooring cover that would keep the water out. I'm thinking about doing just that.
ishoot308 (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
Irrigation Guy

I have an older 15 Supersport and when sitting it is in a very low position. I think a Center console with a higher seating position would be beneficial for a commuting type boat allowing for more mobility.
ishoot308 (03-28-2016), Sammusher (04-03-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #11
CubRun

Thumbs up Shep Browns

I am on my 3rd Boston Whaler purchased (each one gently used) from Shep Browns . We had a 13' Sport for a few years that my boys drove until they were older. It had a 25hp Merc and ran great. My latest is a 22' Dauntless with a 225hp Merc. Its is the best boat I ever owned and the folks at Shep Browns have always been first rate . The service department is very thorough and knowledgeable. I needed a trailer for two of my boats and I purchased them through Sheps rather than going direct to a trailer company. I was very pleased that I did as the trailers were adjusted perfectly for each one of the boats. I have no knowledge of the 15' Montauk but you cant go wrong with a Whaler and Shep Browns is a great place to deal with.
CubRun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CubRun For This Useful Post:
Electric man (04-03-2016), ishoot308 (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubRun View Post
you cant go wrong with a Whaler and Shep Browns is a great place to deal with.
I second the vote of confidence for Shep Brown's as well. I have been a customer of Shep's 22 years. Great people to work with. Very fair. I've purchased two boats from them and they've been servicing by Four Winns since '96.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #13
Frdxplorer

Default Sheps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubRun View Post
you cant go wrong with a Whaler and Shep Browns is a great place to deal with.
Absolutely agree. Chris and Steve in service are absolutely fantastic.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #14
ishoot308

Default Triumph??

Gee, I don't know...after looking at these http://www.triumphboats.com/tough-tests/#prettyPhoto and thinking about my wife's docking abilities, I may have found a perfect match.

I particularly like the Bubba Test and the Dry Stack test.

Anyone know anything about these boats?

Dan
DRH (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #15
brk-lnt

Quote:
Gee, I don't know...after looking at these http://www.triumphboats.com/tough-tests/#prettyPhoto and thinking about my wife's docking abilities, I may have found a perfect match.

I particularly like the Bubba Test and the Dry Stack test.

Anyone know anything about these boats?

Dan
I've seen those videos before, they're very entertaining.
You should buy 6 or 7 of those and then rent them by the hour as a bumper-boats attraction. You'd make a killing.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:10 PM   #16
Just Sold

Triumph Boats

Fay's has had one as a rental for quite a while. Ask them about it and get a look at the rental to see how it has held up.

Last edited by Just Sold; 03-30-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #17
8gv

This thread has me intrigued.

So for the sake of investigating the differences between the two Whaler choices I have traveled to FL. Marine Max Clearwater has both in stock and all shined up.

The Montauk is the clear winner.

In other news...

It was about 83* and sunny all day!

Sorry.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #18
SIKSUKR

70 degrees here today.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #19
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Triumph Boats

Fay's has had one as a rental for quite a while. Ask them about it and get a look at the rental to see how it has held up.
I actually saw one on the lake this morning while fishing. From a distance it looked nice!!

Dan
Old 04-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #20
radiocontester

Quote:

Thanks!

Dan
You may want to consider the Edgewater 158 or 170CC. My wife and I were shopping for a 17' center console last year (before ultimately deciding to buy a 28' cruiser) and looked at the Whaler's at Shep's and the Edgewater's at Bosun's in MA. The EW's are outstanding boats and are outfitted with Yamaha outboards.

GL!

Last edited by radiocontester; 04-01-2016 at 03:58 PM.
radiocontester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #21
Slickcraft

Are there any options other than the Whaler that will still float if cut in half? Having a smaller boat on Winni that absolutely will not sink is, IMHO, a plus.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #22
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Are there any options other than the Whaler that will still float if cut in half? Having a smaller boat on Winni that absolutely will not sink is, IMHO, a plus.
FYI: Edgewater's are unsinkable....foam filled like Whaler's. The founder of Edgewater was once a boat designer for Whaler. Worth taking a look at before you pull the trigger on the Whaler.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #23
BlackcatBoater

I was looking last year for about the same thing- I had looked at Edgewater and Key West- both foam filled. There is a company owned by Chapparral called Robalo that makes a great 16' that wasn't that expensive, and had a Yamaha on the back. That was my choice until I found no local dealer, and I didn't feel like driving down to Mass for service, so that was out of the question. I found a great pre-owned Scout that I stole- and that's the route that I went.
BlackcatBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #24
8gv

My Edgewater experience:

My friend's 18' center console with a Yamaha 150. Extremely seaworthy, dry ride, quick to plane and the four stroke is pretty quiet. The boat is heavily built.

My 2001 14' center console. I first bought it to use in FL around St. Pete..
The water is very warm there, as is the air.

On one particularly hot day, with my family of five aboard, I took the opportunity of huge boat wake to test it's "unsink-ability". Burrying the bow into the wake my tiny Edgewater flooded to the gunnels.

Ten minutes later we were floating high. The drains and floatation worked as intended. It took a little more time for wifey to forgive me for the "test".
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #25
Island Girl

Default Ask her which one she likes

Personally the low seats of the Super Sport would drive me crazy. I like the comfort and the visibility on the Montauk. I have no experience with either, but a lot of docking experience. Being in almost a standing position on the Montauk would make it easier to move to grab the dock.

Let her do the test drive!

Just my humble opinion as a woman!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #26
ishoot308

Smile

Thanks for everyone's input but a drastic change has occurred and my wife has decided on Bayliner's new 16' f-16 element center console with T top. This boat just came out on Bayliner's website last week and we had a chance to water demo yesterday. She loved it and that's all that matters.

There are no pics on Bayliner's site yet but boattrader.com has one that is close. If you get rid of all the fishing stuff, (electric motor, front fishing chair) and a little smaller this is it.... http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-F18-102649108

Yes I very much know that it's not a whaler but it's still a nice little boat and the most important part is she likes it and is happy!! Happy wife, happy life!!

Thanks for everyone's input especially on the center console differences that really swayed our final decision.

Dan
Old 04-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #27
radiocontester

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's input but a drastic change has occurred and my wife has decided on Bayliner's new 16' f-16 element center console with T top. This boat just came out on Bayliner's website last week and we had a chance to water demo yesterday. She loved it and that's all that matters.

There are no pics on Bayliner's site yet but boattrader.com has one that is close. If you get rid of all the fishing stuff, (electric motor, front fishing chair) and a little smaller this is it.... http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-F18-102649108

Yes I very much know that it's not a whaler but it's still a nice little boat and the most important part is she likes it and is happy!! Happy wife, happy life!!

Thanks for everyone's input especially on the center console differences that really swayed our final decision.

Dan
Congrats!!
Old 04-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #28
Just Sold

Quote:

Dan
Congrats Dan! Having a happy wife is very important.
Let us know how it performs on the lake.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #29
Hillcountry

Quote:

Dan

Very nice! Now you can get yourself a new toy with no guilt!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #30
brk-lnt

Quote:

Dan
Looks like a nice setup, I may have to check those out.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #31
SIKSUKR

Even that 18 ft seems like a lot of boat for 23,000.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #32
ishoot308

Default It Arrived

Picked up my wife's new boat today! We ended up with the 18' instead of the 16' which I am glad of. Very impressed with the fit and finish of the Bayliner. We both love the T-top as it is rock solid and much better than the bimini option.

We named her "Lady Claire" after her mom who passed away a few weeks ago...

Here's a few pics...

Happy 4th everyone!

Dan
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #33
ishoot308

Default Another pic

Here's another....
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #34
ishoot308

Default Another pic...

Last picture....
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2016, 04:05 PM   #35
Slickcraft

Looks good, she must be happy. We will be ready for a ride on a calm day.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #36
Descant

Thanked 1,515 Times in 984 Posts
Default Nice

Aha! I bet the T-Top gets more hours than the 'toon. Nice boat for Mrs. 308.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #37
brk-lnt

Looks like a great setup!
Old 07-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #38
codeman671

Quote:
Picked up my wife's new boat today! We ended up with the 18' instead of the 16' which I am glad of. Very impressed with the fit and finish of the Bayliner. We both love the T-top as it is rock solid and much better than the bimini option.

We named her "Lady Claire" after her mom who passed away a few weeks ago...

Here's a few pics...

Happy 4th everyone!

Dan
Glad to see I am not the only one who got their pockets picked by Ryan this week

Nice looking boat.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:11 AM   #39
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Glad to see I am not the only one who got their pockets picked by Ryan this week

Nice looking boat.
Didn't happen until you post pictures of the new ride!

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:43 AM   #40
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Didn't happen until you post pictures of the new ride!

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
I will post in the boat pics thread so I don't turn this into a hijack.

The Element is a good looking boat for short money. The equivalent whaler would be at least twice that. I am a die hard whaler fan having owned a bunch but would seriously consider going this way to buy a brand new boat over a 10 year old used one at the same price. Been there and faced those problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-03-2016)