Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
JasonG

Default All this talk about improving the Weirs..is there an alternative?

What I am about to say is just my observation as a frequent visitor for the past 4 decades. It is not hard opinion or based on any specific fact. So I am not trying to stir up any fights or emotions.

The question is...why do we have to improve the Weirs?

If an area is falling apart, it will continue to do so until acted upon. If we are talking about decades of neglect, then the truth starts to shine what the owners of the area think. That is not to imply that they do not want to improve. It may not make financial sense, so they are in a bind. Why invest into something that will possibly not pay off when in it's current state it still makes money?

Just because you put a fresh coat of paint on a pizza shop or gift shop, it will not bring in more customers. The entire point of coming to the Weirs may need to change. It needs to be beyond t-shirt shops, video games. Let's face it, video arcades are long gone and are usually only found in high traffic resort areas. As a 40 something with kids that play video games at home, they see little value in going to the weirs to play games. Maybe skeeball. But hey, who doesn't like Skeeball?

I have seen a lot of ideas tossed around. So the next question is... is the an alternative location for all of these ideas? All this talk about what could be done with the weirs property could be applied to another location. Build another destination spot on the lake and make sure it can cater to year round. Sure, easier said than done and I know there is no current space available on the lake. But anything is possible with the right idea and funding.

In the end I certainly hope something develops. I see what has happened to Meredith over the past few decades and love it. And I cannot wait to get fried dough from the weirs this summer with the family. The current state does not stop us from visiting, but that is more about nostalgia then about something fresh. In the end, our visits to the weirs get shorter and shorter.

Sadly if nothing get's done it will just deteriorate until it is no longer safe and things start to get condemned and decisions will be forced upon the owners and town. As an observer, this appears to already be happening?
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
What I am about to say is just my observation as a frequent visitor for the past 4 decades. It is not hard opinion or based on any specific fact. So I am not trying to stir up any fights or emotions.

The question is...why do we have to improve the Weirs?

If an area is falling apart, it will continue to do so until acted upon. If we are talking about decades of neglect, then the truth starts to shine what the owners of the area think. That is not to imply that they do not want to improve. It may not make financial sense, so they are in a bind. Why invest into something that will possibly not pay off when in it's current state it still makes money?

Just because you put a fresh coat of paint on a pizza shop or gift shop, it will not bring in more customers. The entire point of coming to the Weirs may need to change. It needs to be beyond t-shirt shops, video games. Let's face it, video arcades are long gone and are usually only found in high traffic resort areas. As a 40 something with kids that play video games at home, they see little value in going to the weirs to play games. Maybe skeeball. But hey, who doesn't like Skeeball?

I have seen a lot of ideas tossed around. So the next question is... is the an alternative location for all of these ideas? All this talk about what could be done with the weirs property could be applied to another location. Build another destination spot on the lake and make sure it can cater to year round. Sure, easier said than done and I know there is no current space available on the lake. But anything is possible with the right idea and funding.

In the end I certainly hope something develops. I see what has happened to Meredith over the past few decades and love it. And I cannot wait to get fried dough from the weirs this summer with the family. The current state does not stop us from visiting, but that is more about nostalgia then about something fresh. In the end, our visits to the weirs get shorter and shorter.

Sadly if nothing get's done it will just deteriorate until it is no longer safe and things start to get condemned and decisions will be forced upon the owners and town. As an observer, this appears to already be happening?
There are only so many town owned docks on the Lake- the Weirs is one of them. I enjoy the honky-tonk of the Weirs at times as well, but there is little or no money to be made, so there is a profound lack of investment. That is my take from across the Pond!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
jbolty

All true. Normally a tee shirt shop is a side line to the actual reason for being someplace. Back in the days of yore no one had video games at home so going to an arcade was a thing to do. I remember countless times when I was a teen of getting out of work at night and heading to the Weirs for a slice of pizza and a few games with friends. It was the place to be.

I suppose there is still some need for that on rainy days but the area is clearly under used most of the time. If a tourist goes there now and gets a bumper sticker and a piece of fudge they have just about done all there is to do there except for getting on the various boat cruises.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
DUSTOFF

Quote:
Just because you put a fresh coat of paint on a pizza shop or gift shop, it will not bring in more customers.
I also am not here to argue, but I just wanted to point out that in my experience, this is not true. After a remodel or rebuild you should certainly see an increase in traffic flow.
We all know you can't always judge a book by it's cover, but a customer driving by will naturally assume that if a business takes good care of the exterior, they will maintain that cleanliness throughout the interior, the kitchen, etc.
DUSTOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTOFF View Post
I also am not here to argue, but I just wanted to point out that in my experience, this is not true. After a remodel or rebuild you should certainly see an increase in traffic flow.
We all know you can't always judge a book by it's cover, but a customer driving by will naturally assume that if a business takes good care of the exterior, they will maintain that cleanliness throughout the interior, the kitchen, etc.
Well I didnt say remodel.
Even then, if the products in the gift shop are the same, there is no real draw over and above.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
AC2717

Quote:
Well I didnt say remodel.
Even then, if the products in the gift shop are the same, there is no real draw over and above.
correct why buy a tee shirt or sun glasses at $15 or $20 when all of us owners and year round residents can buy them for a $1 at the end of the season
Old 03-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
hd333

Default All this talk about improving the Weirs..is there an alternative?

Good old Weirds Beach.

Is Weirs really a destination spot, or is it more of a place to go when it rains and kill a few hours?
Once I am at the lake I have no desire to leave the house. I don't see Weirs being a real draw for lake regulars.
Now if they put some money into the beach area like they did at Hampton beach, maybe it would become a destination spot for day trippers, who would in turn spend $ at Weirs. With that money being spent in the local places I could then see some owners realizing that if they spruce things up maybe they will attract more customers. This is what it would take to make the Weirs more like Meredith in my opinion. Bring in an upscale restaurant and maybe more lake regulars will actually venture over for dinner and in turn spend a few more bucks while there, good food in a nice setting will bring people.
At a minimum Weirs needs a legit fried dough place like Blinks.

All this said I am sure the kids will drag us there at least once this summer, I agree with the OP, the current state of Weirs doesn't stop us from going but it sure doesn't attract repeat business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
sum-r breeze

Default Maybe it's already started....

After our first trip (we waited WAY too long) to dine at Faro Italian Grill, we swore we wouldn't wait as long again. I think Faro is the first "shot across the bow" for the Weirs and hope the other neighboring businesses take a lesson. Faro is great and a huge boost to the Weirs.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'l be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
Ms Molly McKever

Default The weirs

What didn't help is the lost of cottage coloney rentals. Over the last 10-15 years most of them went condo.
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Molly McKever For This Useful Post:
michael (04-11-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #10
jetlag100

I always felt that is was a shame that Fun Spot never put an Annex down the Weirs.....a new, clean, place to go, with all sorts of things to do or, they should have a shuttle to their facility, now...boat ride to Weirs, park and shuttle up the hill. Just a thought....
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jetlag100 For This Useful Post:
jbolty (03-30-2016), Leoskeys (03-31-2016), Winnigirl (03-31-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #11
Outdoorsman

Default secede

"The Weirs" should secede from Laconia and provide/pay for its own Municipalities to become its own town. Until that happens we are stuck with the same-ole-same-ole.

Laconia has too many downfalls that the city is accepting as 'the new normal".

The growth in the Gilford area will still benefit both and the growth in Meredith will also benefit the Weirs.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #12
rick35

I'm sure someone here knows the facts but I'm guessing enough money is made during bike week that makes the rest of the season insignificant and not worth the trouble to want to do anything else.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
I'm sure someone here knows the facts but I'm guessing enough money is made during bike week that makes the rest of the season insignificant and not worth the trouble to want to do anything else.
That is exactly the problem.....
Old 03-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #14
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
Ah, but bike week isn't what it once was, either.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #15
Woodsy

Bike Week is NOT the problem.... Its really what keeps the Weirs going!

The problem is a changing demographic... and the commercial property / business owners and the city of Laconia refusing to change or do anything about it.

My vision for the Weirs would be a walkable version of a small cluster of fun funky bars/cafes/shops similar to Key West.

The Faro property could be the far corner anchor destination. They already have that Awesome upper deck. Or maybe even the Naswa...

The Paradise Club and Weirs the Beef / Hideout can anchor the other corner. The Paradise has a great outside tiki bar that could be capitalized on.

We have the Gringo, and that place does a good business year round. Tower Hill tavern could be an AWESOME music venue, but the people who own the half moon cottages want quiet at 10... hard to make a go of it with that silly restriction.

The problem is the middle of the strip... that's where the vision is required. The arcades & the Pier need to be remade into a fun place people want to go. A funky café or bar... funky shops?

its obvious the status quo is not working....

Woodsy
AC2717 (03-31-2016), CateP (04-01-2016), greeleyhill (04-01-2016), Lmurphy (04-12-2016), Reilly (04-01-2016), sum-r breeze (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 11:50 AM   #16
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Bike Week is NOT the problem.... Its really what keeps the Weirs going!
I disagree, I think Bike Week is like welfare or life support for the area. It encourages dependance on something that isn't really scalable or practical. As long as bike week continues to dominate the area we will have property owners with little motivation to create viable year-round businesses that keep the area attractive in general.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 PM   #17
Woodsy

Brk...

How do you figure? If it wasn't for the Bike Week $$$ the Weirs wouldn't exist. Its a very short season to make a years worth of $$$. The Weirs will never be a "year round" type destination... Nowhere on the lake is "year round" with exception of Gunstock. Meredith (the standard for most people) hosts 2 events in the winter, Pond Hockey & the Ice fishing derby. Both are extremely weather dependent, and both had low numbers this year because of it.

The demographics have changed. We have an older, less kid driven demographic. Stop trying to attract a crowd that isn't interested anymore, and try to attract a crowd that is!

There needs to be a change in attitude from the City of Laconia... stop treating the Weirs like a redheaded stepkid! Make the Weirs a jewel! Pave Lakeside Avenue... get rid of the parking meters. Encourage small business, Look into running a shuttle that goes in a loop from Funspot/Looney Bin/Spoke back to the Weirs train station. Embrace Bike Week! Loosen up the rules a little!

Property & business owners need to refresh their attitudes... and their properties!

Woodsy
greeleyhill (04-01-2016), JasonG (03-31-2016), Lmurphy (03-31-2016), Reilly (04-01-2016), tabascocat98 (04-02-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #18
AC2717

Quote:
Brk...

How do you figure? If it wasn't for the Bike Week $$$ the Weirs wouldn't exist. Its a very short season to make a years worth of $$$. The Weirs will never be a "year round" type destination... Nowhere on the lake is "year round" with exception of Gunstock. Meredith (the standard for most people) hosts 2 events in the winter, Pond Hockey & the Ice fishing derby. Both are extremely weather dependent, and both had low numbers this year because of it.

The demographics have changed. We have an older, less kid driven demographic. Stop trying to attract a crowd that isn't interested anymore, and try to attract a crowd that is!

There needs to be a change in attitude from the City of Laconia... stop treating the Weirs like a redheaded stepkid! Make the Weirs a jewel! Pave Lakeside Avenue... get rid of the parking meters. Encourage small business, Look into running a shuttle that goes in a loop from Funspot/Looney Bin/Spoke back to the Weirs train station. Embrace Bike Week! Loosen up the rules a little!

Property & business owners need to refresh their attitudes... and their properties!

Woodsy
Not auguring, and agree with your point, but from the other side of the coin I think you also answered your own question to BRK - Weirs wouldn't exist in its current state if bike week was no longer there. I love to have bike week, but at the same time it does perpetuate the ease of the property owners and business owners in the Weirs to "cash in" so to speak and not do anything else the rest of the year because their nut is covered at the every least.

No bike week means the business owners and property owners need to find other ways of income (supply and demand economics) or fail.
that could lead for sure to vacant lots and building but for how long in this market? Not very from my view, at such highly desirable location for business and development. The taxes alone on the property with no income from bike week vendors is enough to either have those property owners leave, or sell to those that want to develop and then the town can do their part with a development plan and incentives for existing owners and new alike.

At the same time they can keep bike week and also require property owners through ordinances and zoning to conduct business throughout the year other than renting out vendor space for a week and a half. I'm not one for government regulation but when it comes to the survival of a community and its residents and form of #1 income which is tourism, the town should step in.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #19
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Brk...

Woodsy

You want to attract a crowd that has limited or no expendable income? The retired community? Either you attract a younger generation or start putting in bids for demo now. Attracting a generation that is slowly wading out is like a business getting into an industry as its dying.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:13 PM   #20
Woodsy

I never mentioned the "retired community"....

I was thinking more along the lines of adult oriented type stuff... cool cafes, small bars/restaurants/neat shops. Things that attract the mid 20's to mid 50's with $$$ and time to burn.

Not run down arcades with games that a run of the mill PS3 can play.

Woodsy
Old 03-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #21
Woodsy

AC...

Without the "guaranteed" (tongue in cheek) Bike Week money... what makes the property desirable? You have a short season, a city that doesn't give a crap, and now no bike week income? Why would you want to open a business there?

What you will see is property values plummet, not just the commercial property but residential too. Businesses dry up and do not come back and the city loses tons of tax money that it uses to spend on downtown!

The Weirs needs more "big events"... not just Bike week. The city needs to step up and come up with a master plan for the Weirs.

Woodsy
Old 03-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #22
AC2717

Quote:
AC...

Without the "guaranteed" (tongue in cheek) Bike Week money... what makes the property desirable? You have a short season, a city that doesn't give a crap, and now no bike week income? Why would you want to open a business there?

What you will see is property values plummet, not just the commercial property but residential too. Businesses dry up and do not come back and the city loses tons of tax money that it uses to spend on downtown!

The Weirs needs more "big events"... not just Bike week. The city needs to step up and come up with a master plan for the Weirs.

Woodsy
respectively disagree
the views alone even with winter season, make it a desirable spot (much better than Meredith Bay)
hate to use it because it is beating a dead horse, but look at Meredith, most everything down there operates year round

some investor has to be the first and be able to hold out for things to change (an prime example is Faro they are already doing this), with the change winter or other year round activities start in the are, a winter fest, spring fest, October fest where they shut the street down and hold a week long festival, maybe hockey alternates between there and Meredith. There is no incentive right now for activities to happen there during the fall and winter. with Development becomes opportunity
Old 03-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #23
Winnisquamer

Quote:

I was thinking more along the lines of adult oriented type stuff... cool cafes, small bars/restaurants/neat shops. Things that attract the mid 20's to mid 50's with $$$ and time to burn.

Woodsy
With that I will agree, the way I read your post I looked at it as there is a younger generation a middle-aged generation and an older generation. the old generation is the people that are either getting done working or already retired. It has been said that the current weirs is targeted towards the demographics of the people that grew up in the 50s
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #24
Acrossamerica

Quote:

Woodsy
Other than parts of Portsmouth, can you name a single town in NH that has "Cool" shops small bars and cafes on a year round basis. What is needed and the weather is very much against it is a place that has a pulse more than 8 weeks a year. Very very few places in the entire state can claim that including North Conway. If the state does not figure out how to attract a sufficient number of businesses to the state that pay above the $10 tourist wage, the state will continue to bleed 20-50 year olds in search of an income and a life that does not include a 12 pack most every night .
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #25
Mr. V

The Weirs would be a good location for a casino.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #26
Leoskeys

What about moving Pumpkinfest to Weirs? Granted that'll hurt downtown Laconia. And that's only another week a year of activity, so it won't solve the problem.
Seems like Weirs is something that Alex Ray and Dean Kamen should work together on! They can figure it out, and have the bankroll.
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #27
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskeys View Post
What about moving Pumpkinfest to Weirs? Granted that'll hurt downtown Laconia. And that's only another week a year of activity, so it won't solve the problem.
Seems like Weirs is something that Alex Ray and Dean Kamen should work together on! They can figure it out, and have the bankroll.
I'm thinking that Alex and Dean are busy with plans for a second set of highway rest stops on I-95. Why try to restore the Weirs which in terms of major profits will always be marginal, when one can basically print money with another mega rest stop complex like they have on I-93. I think that ship has sailed.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:59 PM   #28
kawishiwi

Talking Trump to the rescue....

Matbe the Donald can be talked into wielding his eminent domain tool to put up a hotel casino? Ok, so thats unlikely, but it seems that there are only 2 alternatives for improvement. 1 - play off of the seasonal draw in a way that has greater value than fried dough, as in vacation condos, that may be lightly occupied off season but at least there is long term value and upkeep. 2 - build something that has year round draw. I'd guess a casino would be flash in the pan but there could be something else that would get folks to drive at least an hour or two on a regular basis. Any ideas? A third option might be to go after the Meredith crowd in the same way. That could become cannibalistic though and leave both areas under stress.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:28 PM   #29
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Something new

Folks talk about Meredith and Wolfeboro. Ever notice how many shops in the two places are the same? No reason to duplicate one of those. Want something unique? They have unique shops in P-Town, and it draws from more than an hour away. Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard have some similar travel draws, but they have unique personalities too. All of those were an evolutionary series of events.

Unless you are Walt Disney, I think it is very difficult to build something in one big splash and be sure that it will be successful. It helped that Walt had a Sunday night TV show to advertise Disneyland for a full hour every week. I think Disneyland is only about 50 acres.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #30
Acrossamerica

To continue on the Key West wish - The average resident income for Key West is $75,401 with 15.8% below $25,000 a year
Florida - $71,904

Laconia - $67,378 with 22.7% below $25,000

New Hampshire - $64,712

So we are short on disposable income for the cute shops and cafes that during the 40 weeks a year the "lake House" folks are not here depend on the locals. Need I delve into education levels and general life styles between Key West and Laconia and the surrounding areas?
Old 03-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #31
brk-lnt

Quote:

There needs to be a change in attitude from the City of Laconia... stop treating the Weirs like a redheaded stepkid! Make the Weirs a jewel!
Your logic breaks down, IMO. Why invest in making the Weirs into a "jewel" when it can apparently be profitable in the current condition with only 1 week per year of activity?

Let's face it, though the Bike Week crowd contains several walks of life, it does not appear to draw people that are overly concerned with the area being in "jewel" condition. Why would the city invest in unnecessary improvements?

The problem with The Weirs is that the current state of it is really only highly functional or prized for 1 week of the year. The rest of the time it's underutilized and a bit of an eyesore in spots. The Weirs, in it's current state, is basically the City of Laconia leaving their Christmas lights up year round. In the non-Bike Week weeks, it's an eyesore and it's not delivering the value to the surrounding community that it can or should.

Also, by relying on Bike Week so much there is a ripple effect in the community. While some of the business owners make rake in cash, many of the employees they hire only get an average weeks' pay, they don't get anything near a years salary.

By smoothing out the utilization of The Weirs to something approaching a year-round spot it would really help the overall community in multiple ways.

Bike Week doesn't have to go away, but it needs to be utilized as a bonus more than a crutch.
jbolty (03-31-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #32
MGWillia

Default Regular Drive Throughs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I disagree, I think Bike Week is like welfare or life support for the area. It encourages dependance on something that isn't really scalable or practical. As long as bike week continues to dominate the area we will have property owners with little motivation to create viable year-round businesses that keep the area attractive in general.
Before I even saw this thread (haven't been on in a while) I was saying this just the other day. As we drive through it seems like more and more of the surrounding area seems to being turned into parking/vending area. it really looks kind of desolate (at least during non bike week). Is it possible that the biggest event of the year is part of the problem for attracting folks the rest fo the time? Not sure.
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #33
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
Before I even saw this thread (haven't been on in a while) I was saying this just the other day. As we drive through it seems like more and more of the surrounding area seems to being turned into parking/vending area. it really looks kind of desolate (at least during non bike week). Is it possible that the biggest event of the year is part of the problem for attracting folks the rest fo the time? Not sure.
Think you have a good understanding of the problem . Bike week is no longer an asset to the area . Every summer now starts with this worn out , honky tonk event that sets the wrong tone for the rest of the season and gives none of the business owners any reason to spruce up before this carnival comes to town.
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
pondguy (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 05:17 AM   #34
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Think you have a good understanding of the problem . Bike week is no longer an asset to the area . Every summer now starts with this worn out , honky tonk event that sets the wrong tone for the rest of the season and gives none of the business owners any reason to spruce up before this carnival comes to town.
Bike week i s a huge asset to the entire state. Laconia is no longer the focus of bike week. That was caused by an overbearing police presence and worn out vendors. Once riders realized they could have a great time in Conway, Meredith, and the Mt Washington valley, they use tbe Weirs as a one day destination.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
noreast (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #35
nhcatrider

Very true. I have an upscale rental condo in the North Conway area and it has rented out during bike week for the past 5 years to bikers. Never had a problem that week at all, they leave the place cleaner than they found it.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:45 AM   #36
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Bike week makes or breaks the summer for most business in the Weirs area. It's an unfortunate fact. The revenue from those 10 days sets the tone for the rest of the season.
The rally has huge problems but they are making an effort this year to try and turn things around. Laconiafest is a good first step toward that.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:20 AM   #37
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
I am not sure how you could claim it "sets the wrong tone for the rest of the season". Most Bike Week visitors are not the boaters and vacationing families that dominate the rest of the tourist season and it has no affect on them at all.

Without Bike Week, and the revenue it generates, many business owners would not have the revenue to "spruce up" at all. The amount of income for the businesses and the entire state is a tremendous boost for the state and local economy. Most Laconia area business owners are not making a killing, and many are just barely making a living. I think you would be surprised to find out how many area restaurants have to use their credit lines every winter to survive with the hope that the tourist season will generate enough revenue to pay it off. Taking one more opportunity to make money away from area businesses would be a very poor move.

Yes, there are large areas of the Weirs that could be improved or developed but once again it comes back to the substantial investment needed with the hope that the 10 week season will make it a financial success. I don't see many people willing to take that risk.

As others have said, the over policing and many other factors have led to the decline in Bike Week attendance in the greater Laconia area.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #38
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I am not sure how you could claim it "sets the wrong tone for the rest of the season". Most Bike Week visitors are not the boaters and vacationing families that dominate the rest of the tourist season and it has no affect on them at all.

Without Bike Week, and the revenue it generates, many business owners would not have the revenue to "spruce up" at all. The amount of income for the businesses and the entire state is a tremendous boost for the state and local economy. Most Laconia area business owners are not making a killing, and many are just barely making a living. I think you would be surprised to find out how many area restaurants have to use their credit lines every winter to survive with the hope that the tourist season will generate enough revenue to pay it off. Taking one more opportunity to make money away from area businesses would be a very poor move.

Yes, there are large areas of the Weirs that could be improved or developed but once again it comes back to the substantial investment needed with the hope that the 10 week season will make it a financial success. I don't see many people willing to take that risk.

As others have said, the over policing and many other factors have led to the decline in Bike Week attendance in the greater Laconia area.
Tilton there has to be a better way. Just look at the other towns around the lake. While the businesses in these towns derive some incremental benefit from bike week they certainly aren't beholden to the event. Laconia and the Weirs specifically is positioned as the least desirable town on the lake. Yet the Weirs has arguably the most open waterfront and potential. In these times of booming real estate values I find it inconceivable that this area can't be better positioned for success. Bike week in my opinion is one of the factors that keeps the area teathered to failure.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #39
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Tilton there has to be a better way. Just look at the other towns around the lake. While the businesses in these towns derive some incremental benefit from bike week they certainly aren't beholden to the event. Laconia and the Weirs specifically is positioned as the least desirable town on the lake. Yet the Weirs has arguably the most open waterfront and potential. In these times of booming real estate values I find it inconceivable that this area can't be better positioned for success. Bike week in my opinion is one of the factors that keeps the area teathered to failure.
From what I understand, bike week back in the 70's and 80's was a LOT less family friendly. Please correct me if I am wrong.
But, I have also been told this was part of the "HayDay" and did far better then than it did now.

Could it be that by making it more family friendly, it is getting slower? Arguably the main stream view of motorcyclist these days ( gangs then vs everyone now) is making biking in general more of a family friendly activity. If a young adult rode a bike "back in the day", he could be labeled a rebel and that lifestyle matched that bike week was like. Today, bikes are for everyone.

Again, if I am wrong about the history, please correct me. But this would appear to be a possible connection to the decline?
Old 04-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #40
jbolty

"back in the day" it was just Motorcycle Weekend. The original draw was the races at Loudon and the Weirs was just the place to gather and hang out. I don't recall more than maybe one bar back then so drinking would have been byob. It was mostly parking and chatting and driving up and down and of course a few times there were brawls, riots and some cars turned over.

The Weirs back then was all about kids since the arcades were the only thing to do there. That one weekend all the families were pretty much afraid to go there.

Even now the bikers gather there but there is really nothing for them to do except hang out and patronize the vendors that pop up for the event and maybe buy a tee shirt.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #41
TiltonBB

For many years, after the riot in 1965, Bike Week went back to being a weekend event. In the early 90's it once again expanded to 9 days as it is now.

The changes in Motorcycle Week and the laws regulating it have curtailed a lot of activities that drew the massive crowds. Over policing has also made Laconia a place that many motorcyclists avoid and instead they head to other parts of the state.

The crowds and traffic today are about 25% of what they were 15 to 20 years ago. In the past couple of years there has been almost no traffic back up in the area of the Weirs rotary during the entire 9 days of Bike Week.

It seems to be a dying event and without some changes it would be surprising to see it still exist in 5 years. Maybe the new concert schedule will breathe some life into it but that remains to be seen.

There are people with opinions on both sides of the issue so depending upon your perspective and your feelings about Bike Week this could be viewed as good or bad.

Last edited by TiltonBB; 04-24-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:29 AM   #42
brk-lnt

The core problem is that Laconia, like any city, is a business. The city is in the business of generating tax revenue, providing places for people to live, maintaining infrastructure, providing an attractive business environment, etc.

Anyone who has any amount of business knowledge will tell you that it's a very bad strategy to overly rely on a single "mega" customer.

Bike Week is Laconia's giant customer. The entire city is overly reliant on that one customer. It's a bad spot to be in for multiple reasons.

Bike Week doesn't need to go away or be majorly changed, but people need to recognize that until the city has a viable plan to not be solely reliant on Bike Week it will never evolve.

Every year that Laconia doesn't develop a strategy to break its Bike Week addiction makes it that much harder to stabilize itself for the future.
Billy Bob (04-26-2016), camp guy (04-25-2016), jbolty (04-25-2016), VitaBene (04-25-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #43
Hillcountry

Quote:
From what I understand, bike week back in the 70's and 80's was a LOT less family friendly. Please correct me if I am wrong.
But, I have also been told this was part of the "HayDay" and did far better then than it did now.

Could it be that by making it more family friendly, it is getting slower? Arguably the main stream view of motorcyclist these days ( gangs then vs everyone now) is making biking in general more of a family friendly activity. If a young adult rode a bike "back in the day", he could be labeled a rebel and that lifestyle matched that bike week was like. Today, bikes are for everyone.

Again, if I am wrong about the history, please correct me. But this would appear to be a possible connection to the decline?
Let me begin by Saying my statements have nothing to do with the topic of this post...just some comments on how "bike week" was enjoyed by myself and thousands of other bikers.
Back "in the day" we didn't even call it "bike week" it was simply "Laconia"
Laconia to me was hundreds of bike clubs and independents camping out along Rt 106 and spending the week having fun and generally observing the parade of bikers and other "hell raisers" constantly, moving back and fourth on 106.
The Wiers was a destination for a ride from 106 and you rode back to your roadside encampment for more fun. Police were mostly non-existent out there and mostly "anything went" from nudity to bonfires to grenade simulators to booby flashing. All good fun for anyone who spent the week along 106.
My experiences took place during the 70's and I can't account for what took place after that time because life was changing for me what with raising a family, etc.
After they banned roadside camping Laconia motorcycle week became, over time, the tame event that is is today. Personally, I'm glad I was able to experience the old "Laconia" and the memories of that era will be with me and others forever.
I apologize for this post not offering any constructive comments that are on topic but I felt compelled to shed some light on how it was "back in the day" to those who didn't have the opportunity to experience it as we did.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #44
Woodsy

I see it completely differently.....

Laconia does not rely on Bike Week.... Downtown Laconia is doing pretty good. They have the Pumpkin Fest, the Colonial Theater is being restored and there are lots of shops, cafes & businesses that are doing very well. The only people who rely on Bike Week for an influx of $$ are resorts & businesses in the Weirs.

Some of the businesses in the Weirs take pride in their buildings, and take very good care of how their property looks. Other businesses not so much. The reality is, there needs to be a plan, sense of direction. The motels that are left will die off.... people NEED a reason to visit. The old kid friendly stuff is not working. A more adult oriented approach is needed. The Weirs has some awesome real estate... it just needs a vision and transformation...

1. Start with Bike Week... embrace it! Loosen the rules a little. Make it so the bikers want to come back and stay awhile! That demographic has grown older and has $$ to spend.

2. Get rid of the silly parking meters.... nobody wants to pay to park!

3. Reconfigure the boat docks to accommodate more boats... perhaps a P/T dockmaster so that 1 large cruiser cannot block off the whole dock.

4. Transform the arcades into something more adult.... cafes? shops? something that make people want to stay awhile.

5. Change the noise ordinance to allow live music until 12:00 - 12:30 on weekends.

6. Allow alcohol to be consumed outside in plastic containers...

7. Weekend boardwalk vendors (like the Hotdog guy in Wolfeboro)

Just a few ideas...

Woodsy
AC2717 (04-26-2016), chasedawg (04-26-2016), diz (04-26-2016), greeleyhill (04-27-2016), JasonG (04-26-2016), moose tracks (04-26-2016), noreast (04-26-2016), Reilly (04-27-2016), Resident 2B (04-26-2016), TiltonBB (04-26-2016), VitaBene (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 07:21 PM   #45
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
I see it completely differently.....

Laconia does not rely on Bike Week.... Downtown Laconia is doing pretty good. They have the Pumpkin Fest, the Colonial Theater is being restored and there are lots of shops, cafes & businesses that are doing very well. The only people who rely on Bike Week for an influx of $$ are resorts & businesses in the Weirs.

Some of the businesses in the Weirs take pride in their buildings, and take very good care of how their property looks. Other businesses not so much. The reality is, there needs to be a plan, sense of direction. The motels that are left will die off.... people NEED a reason to visit. The old kid friendly stuff is not working. A more adult oriented approach is needed. The Weirs has some awesome real estate... it just needs a vision and transformation...

1. Start with Bike Week... embrace it! Loosen the rules a little. Make it so the bikers want to come back and stay awhile! That demographic has grown older and has $$ to spend.

2. Get rid of the silly parking meters.... nobody wants to pay to park!

3. Reconfigure the boat docks to accommodate more boats... perhaps a P/T dockmaster so that 1 large cruiser cannot block off the whole dock.

4. Transform the arcades into something more adult.... cafes? shops? something that make people want to stay awhile.

5. Change the noise ordinance to allow live music until 12:00 - 12:30 on weekends

7. Weekend boardwalk vendors (like the Hotdog guy in Wolfeboro)

Woodsy
This, and add MORE seating! The great thing about Meredith is being able to pull over, for free, and sit at the docks for a bit before moving along. Add the sculpture walk and restaurants--of which Weirs has neither--and you've got a great center.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
FWP (04-26-2016), Woodsy (04-27-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #46
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
"The Weirs" should secede from Laconia and provide/pay for its own Municipalities to become its own town. Until that happens we are stuck with the same-ole-same-ole.

Laconia has too many downfalls that the city is accepting as 'the new normal".

The growth in the Gilford area will still benefit both and the growth in Meredith will also benefit the Weirs.
The Weirs tried to secede from Laconia in the 90s. The Lawton family really pushed hard for it. At the time the father & son were in the State legislature. They could not pull it off. IMHO I think it would have worked, or at leat it would be better than the wasteland it has become.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #47
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

I keep reading these posts and thinking what would attract me from the opposite side of the lake, and I think the person who mentioned Key West is onto something.

If the docks were less punishing and there were small artist shops, stores, and eateries I'd head there in addition to Wolfeboro. When I start envisioning that, though, I'm reminded of the relatively small (flat) space of the Weirs vs. the blocks and blocks of Wolfeboro and even Meredith.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #48
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I keep reading these posts and thinking what would attract me from the opposite side of the lake, and I think the person who mentioned Key West is onto something.

If the docks were less punishing and there were small artist shops, stores, and eateries I'd head there in addition to Wolfeboro. When I start envisioning that, though, I'm reminded of the relatively small (flat) space of the Weirs vs. the blocks and blocks of Wolfeboro and even Meredith.

Meredith is not any bigger than Weirs area is or could be. And the Weirs even has the Beach and the peir. and the train station, so much more potential
Old 03-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #49
Taz

Default Bike week/weirs

Woodsy,

I think BRK-INT and others make valid points. Your right, probably, without bike week Weirs would probable fail totally. Then present owners would either be forced to redevelope the area in attempt to attract possibly another demographic of vacationers/visitors or present owners would sell out to a developer and the whole area could be redeveloped and there would be new businesses, new visitors and maybe would attract at least more business over a longer period of time, say from May to end of foliage season at least if not year round. That's how capitalism works.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #50
Taz

Default Weirs

Those plummeting values and businesses drying up that Woodsy refers to is ripe for a developer with money and vision to buy up properties and start over.

Isn't that how it works? Bradlees, Caldor, Lechmere etc get pushed out by Walmart, Target, Best Buy etc.

The businesses in Weirs fail, something else will come along and be better, eventually. It could take a long time but it would happen eventually.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #51
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Those plummeting values and businesses drying up that Woodsy refers to is ripe for a developer with money and vision to buy up properties and start over.
It depends. Bike Week could just as easily keep a lot of mainstream investors away. If you look at how the city of Laconia has managed its assets it's not the sort of thing that big developers want to deal with.

Laconia has to appear developer-friendly in order to attract developers. If the city allows lots to sit vacant and fenced for 51 weeks a year people may not want to build other properties around those kind of sites.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #52
Irish Choppers

Default Come on Laconia... You can do it!

I’m convinced if the Weirs had trendy shops, restaurants, music, a bistro, and modeled themselves after Wolfeboro and Meredith they’d have just as much if not more success. In the four years that we’ve been fortunate to be coming to Meredith and besides bike week, we’ve never gone to the Weirs except to pass through, and stopped once, to buy tickers for a cruise on the Mount. We’ve gone to Wolfeboro many times by car and boat to enjoy all that the downtown has to offer. I’m sorry, but the Weirs has a “dirty” feel to it and we have no desire to visit. Kudos to the owners of Faro for investing in Laconia and their excellent restaurant. Likewise to the good people at AKWA Marina whose marina and beach bar are exceptional. The Weirs is a diamond in the rough and if the right people were to get behind a real transformation it would bring tremendous value to the area, lots of money, and a significant bump in property value throughout the area. Come on Laconia.. You can do it!
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish Choppers For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (04-04-2016), sum-r breeze (04-07-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #53
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Choppers View Post
The Weirs is a diamond in the rough....!

This was said 2 decades ago and will be repeated 2 decades from now.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #54
kauriel

I like that the Weirs is different from Meredith and Wolfeboro and like that there are lots of family friendly activities as well as some great bars and restaurants (we love the Crazy Gringo!). I think it would be more successful with at least one year-round family oriented business such as a hotel with an indoor waterpark or other indoor activities like luxury bowling, laser tag, etc. I'd also love to see a shuttle run from some of the hotels and condos to destinations such as Weirs Beach, Fun spot, downtown Meredith, downtown Laconia, Gilford movie theater, etc. It might help encourage visitors to get out and spend $ instead of staying in.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:37 AM   #55
Orion

Default great idea - shuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
.... I'd also love to see a shuttle run from some of the hotels and condos to destinations such as Weirs Beach, Fun spot, downtown Meredith, downtown Laconia, Gilford movie theater, etc. It might help encourage visitors to get out and spend $ instead of staying in.
Seems like the shuttle would be a great idea, but perhaps a shorter loop to start. It could run the triangle up Lakeside Ave to Rt. 3 and back down to the Weirs, possibly over the bridge to Naswa area. That would pass four campgrounds, the Fun Spot, Tamarack (and restaurants/activities on that intersection), Lake Winni Historical Museum, Kellerhaus, and would make it a bit more of a boating destination.

Last edited by Orion; 04-04-2016 at 06:41 AM. Reason: more info
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #56
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Seems like the shuttle would be a great idea, but perhaps a shorter loop to start. It could run the triangle up Lakeside Ave to Rt. 3 and back down to the Weirs, possibly over the bridge to Naswa area. That would pass four campgrounds, the Fun Spot, Tamarack (and restaurants/activities on that intersection), Lake Winni Historical Museum, Kellerhaus, and would make it a bit more of a boating destination.
Instead of Molly, the Trolley, it could be Lori, the Lorrey. L is for Laconia.

If successful, it could do a loop to Downtown Laconia, with stops along Paugus Bay, then take Messier St to Downtown with Stops around Veteran's Square, then through Downtown and back.

Like the way you think, Kauriel and Orion...

Last edited by upthesaukee; 04-04-2016 at 07:18 AM. Reason: had to put in Kauriel.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 AM   #57
Redbarn

Default shuttle

I like the road shuttle idea it is something that all those business could put together and have running this summer.
Here is another idea that would not just target tourist. For similar yet different purposes, I would also suggest that a trollie run on the tracks between Meredith, Weirs, and Down town Laconia. Couple reasons this would be good. It could run on clean natural gas. It could easily operate around the trains schedule. It would be good for tourist, businesses and any property that abuttes the tracks or is close. The state would benefit since the rail road pays it's lease based on gross revenue and the state subsidize the privately owned train.

For example, people who live in Southdown could flag it down, hop on, ride to Meredith grab a drink, ride back to Weirs have ice cream and watch the fireworks, and stop at there buddys house who also lives next to the tracks. Bet the Weirs would get a lot of people that would normally not stop.
Redbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redbarn For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (04-04-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #58
HellRaZoR004

Interesting graphic R2B. I think a boat launch there will be problematic with the current. Doable, just not for everyone.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #59
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Interesting graphic R2B. I think a boat launch there will be problematic with the current. Doable, just not for everyone.
Well, once you get by the current issue, and deal with the heavy boat traffic and boat wakes on weekends while you are trying to launch a boat, there is also the issue of major boulders just under the surface in that area. You might have to call in the top secret "move a rock club" to clear the area.

Or, one could wonder how the city or state will obtain ownership of all that private property for a boat launch and the associated public parking.

Or, you could consider that the area that the plan shows as developed, to the left of the Channel, from the point down to the mini-golf area at the bridge were once planned to be an 80 room hotel. That was a great plan and it would have been a tremendous boon to the Weirs area until the Indian arrowheads were found on that land and the project was terminated.

See, it's just not that easy!
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #60
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
I had a place on Lucerne Ave. with a nice dock. Getting to the dock from the lake was a huge challenge whenever there was heavy boat traffic exiting the channel since they were the stand on vessel and I was the vessel that had to yield. I agree, a boat ramp there would be a mess and yes there are major boulders in that area.

I never said they had a good plan. I just pointed out there was a plan. They resolved the issue with "malfunction junction" so that was a plus and it was part of the plan. My opinion is the area needs a significant hotel to start any real step forward. I see it is part of the plan, but I do not see any funding to entice a major hotel into the Weirs. So, I am not confident the plan is realistic. Looks more like a concept than a solid plan.

I am very impressed with Faro, something done with private funding, so there is some hope.

We sold our place on Lucerne Ave. I got tired of waiting for any real improvement. We really miss the lake and we now visit by taking a room or suite at either Naswa or Church Landing. This is not anywhere as good as owning, but we still get our time at the lake.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #61
Ms Molly McKever

Default Downings landing

All that is keeping that garbage out of the lake is that little orange fence ??? No e.p.a in alton. Try that at your water front.
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #62
Irish Choppers

Default Construction and Site Work?

I apologize if this question has been posted in another forum but if it has I missed it. I’m seeing what looks like a lot of excavation and site work taking place just past Cumberland Farms. It seems to be running from Rt. 3 to the property lines on Tower Street. Incredible views from the top of the hill. New residential development? This could help bring the Weirs back to life.. no?
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #63
Rattler

Default More Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Choppers View Post
I apologize if this question has been posted in another forum but if it has I missed it. I’m seeing what looks like a lot of excavation and site work taking place just past Cumberland Farms. It seems to be running from Rt. 3 to the property lines on Tower Street. Incredible views from the top of the hill. New residential development? This could help bring the Weirs back to life.. no?
Have heard that this is additional Bike Week parking/vendor space. As long as land owners can make incredible sums of money during Bike Week through parking and space rental income on undeveloped (i.e., low taxed) property, the idea of bringing the Weirs back to life is a pipe dream.

It is sad that a 9-day event that a good portion of local residents dread is responsible for the eyesore these residents have to look at every day of the year.
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattler For This Useful Post:
Reilly (05-02-2016), Spider Girl (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #64
fatlazyless

Default .....almost a 17-building storage business

Well.....that beautiful six acre, hill top lot, just down hill from the Cumberland gas station on Route 3 there, that's got big views of Lake Winnipesaukee and the ossipee mountains beyond ...... almost became a storage business.

Whoever owns the property must gets a large property tax bill from the City of Laconia on a regular basis and probably wishes they never got involved with this here six acre lot. It is too small, less than 10-acres, to be zoned 'in current use' and the property tax bills keep coming in the mail on a very regular basis......don't you know it.

So's .....what to do.....what to do ....what to do with this beautiful six acre, hill top lot.....with the big views of the big lake, and beyond?

Maybe ..... 18-months ago, a storage business proposal consisting of 17-different shed style storage buildings similar to what you may see on the tv show Storage Wars was brought to the zoning board for approval, and it was an appropriate use at the time, but not any more.

And, the property owner decided not to go forward with a storage business due to all the local negative feed back ....... so's it almost became a big, ugly storage business.....that would have been there for many years .....had it been built.

One thing that's happened recently......the cutting down of the remaining large trees has really opened up the big view looking out, over, and across the big lake ...... what a view!

...... p.s. .... as long as u r in the neighborhood on any Wednesday.....suggest u stop in to Kellerhaus nearby for a Wednesday special......the world's greatest ice cream cone for just $1.09 ...... a Kellerhaus Wednesday special!
Old 05-01-2016, 07:22 AM   #65
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
Have heard that this is additional Bike Week parking/vendor space. As long as land owners can make incredible sums of money during Bike Week through parking and space rental income on undeveloped (i.e., low taxed) property, the idea of bringing the Weirs back to life is a pipe dream.

It is sad that a 9-day event that a good portion of local residents dread is responsible for the eyesore these residents have to look at every day of the year.
There is also talk of filling in about 150 acres in front of the Weirs docks to expand bike week parking.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
pondguy (05-01-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #66
Woodsy

I am sure something pretty nice is going to be built on that Hilltop.... he isn't just clearing the land for parking....
Old 05-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #67
AC2717

I wonder how Sturgis does it? isn't that pretty much a ghost town for 50 our of 52 weeks a year? it is also not a tourist destination other than bike week I guess?
Maybe should take a look at Daytona or other bike weeks spots that are also tourist destinations to see what they have done or are doing
Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #68
Woodsy

Sturgis EMBRACES bike week.... unlike Laconia. They do Bike Week completely different.... Laconia and the State of NH could learn quite a bit from them...

LaconiaFest est is a good 1st step in Making Bike Week great again!

Woodsy
Old 05-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #69
NoBozo

Default Sturgis

Coming back from the west coast a few years ago I rode into Sturgis Three weeks before the party was supposed to begin. There was not a motel room to be had. Motorcycles everywhere. Had to ride on to Rapid City to get a room. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote