Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Purchasing A New Pontoon Boat

I am debating whether to purchase a 24 foot tritoon Harris pontoon boat from Melvin Marine or a Bennington from Channel Marine. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
winnipiseogee

Since I don't have anything nice to say about the service and follow through of Chanel marine I probably shouldn't say anything at all...
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I am debating whether to purchase a 24 foot tritoon Harris pontoon boat from Melvin Marine or a Bennington from Channel Marine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BENNINGTON all the way, but not real crazy about Channel Marine... I did not say I wouldn't deal with them, I just said I wasn't real crazy about them.(doing business)
Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Grandpa Redneck

Have you checked out the Premiers from Winnisquam Marine?
When we were shopping we looked at the benningtons/channel as well, while the boat seemed well built, we really were NOT impressed with the sales dept at Channel. I believe that if you are treated like crap before you give them your money you will definately be treated worse after they have your $$$.
In the end we bought from Winnisquam because not only were we really impressed with the Premier, and felt it was a better boat for a better price. (more bang for your buck) But also the entire Staff at Winnisquam was great to deal with before the sale, and has been terrific after the sale as well.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default +1 for Premier

I also would think about a Premier from Winnisquam Marine. Premier makes great boats and I have heard nothing but good about Winnisquam Marine in both sales and service.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
secondcurve

I boat a smaller pontoon from Winnisquam in 2009 and the service/sales process was excellent. I would definitely buy from them again.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
NoRegrets

Irwin Marine carries the Berkshire line. It is owned by Berkshire Hathaway and is a top quality pontoon boat. You may want to add this to your list for quality comparison.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
robmac

Shep Browns now carries Xcursion pontoon boats,saw them at the show and was impessed with fit and finish.Hey its ice out go take a few out for a ride.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I boat a smaller pontoon from Winnisquam in 2009 and the service/sales process was excellent. I would definitely buy from them again.
I also bought from Winnisquam in 2010 and also agree that they're great to work with.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
CHSLTD

Thumbs up Winnisquam Marine = family business

They are a rare combination of great sales AND great service!
CHSLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Merrymeeting

My dad bought a Four Winns from them in the early 90's. We bought a 2002 from them. My sister has had her Four Winns serviced there since she bought it (used).

Nothing but wonderful things to say about Winnisquam Marine. They really know what customer service and service after the sale is all about. Very nice people to boot!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
OleSmokey

Default Another positive boat for Winnisquam Marine!

I have to agree with all regarding the WM staff and service. I bought Four Winns in 2002 and have had all service there- nothing but the best. This crew knows what customer service is all about! I would not hesitate to buy there again or recommend them.
OleSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #13
crowsnest

Default Winnisquam has my vote

Bought 3 boats off them no complaints see Matt
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest View Post
Bought 3 boats off them no complaints see Matt
Yep, Matt was our salesman too, great guy to deal with!!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #15
lakehound

hate to throw another option in but Manitou makes some nice performance and other pontoons. They were the most comfortable boat http://www.manitouboats.com
bought ours at Rochester Sport NH
good luck, its a great way to be on the lake.
lakehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
codeman671

I would suggest Manitou boats (Rochester Sports Center on 125) or Premier from Winnisquam. Having owned both brands I was happy with each.

I think the fit and finish is better with Premier, although my last Manitou was an 07 and I know they have improved since. I think the Manitou was a better handling boat in rough water as well as faster. The Premier rides well, don't get me wrong.

I had a problem with the bimini frame on my Premier snapping last season in the wind at a relatively low speed. I have the 13.5' long version which is considered very large. I am hoping Premier did something to reinforce/correct this going forward. Winnisquam had it fixed in no time, right in my slip.

Go 4 stroke. I was talked into the Optimax 250 Pro XS on mine. It is a great motor, and definitely quieter than my last Optimax 225 but it still is not as quiet as the Verado. I notice that with my monster bimini extended it is a bit loud under power. With the bimini stowed it is very quiet.

Being an islander our boat is constantly hauling a lot of people, dogs and gear. Winnisquam dropped my prop pitch considerably to get me out of the hole better and to get my overall RPM's up. I didn't notice any real loss of speed at top end as the motor is turning where it should be now and it sounds a lot better when under load.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

As others have mentioned I would recommend Winnisquam marine, I boat my Four Winns from them was very pleased. Mine was a used boat. But regardless, they gave me no hassles when it came to issue happening during the warrantee period. And never skimped on the fixes. They have also been excellent in offering advice over the years as well, even though I no longer stow the boat or service it with them. the only downside is they aren't located on the big lake... so if you wanted to use them for service, you would have to haul the boat to them, or have them come and get it, which can be pricey.

As far as pontoon boats go, I the biggest difference I have seen over the various manufactures is the level of finish, pontoon size, and available options. Premier, Harris, and Bennington all build very nice boats... I have been on all three.

Last if I had to chose between Melvin Village and Channel, it would be Melvin Village... They do take care of their customers... and off the boat lines they carry. Even though they know my boat was purchased at Winnisquam, they have always treated me well... And my Uncle has purchased two boats from them, and always been treated excellent....
Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
the only downside is they aren't located on the big lake... so if you wanted to use them for service, you would have to haul the boat to them, or have them come and get it, which can be pricey.
We get free pickup and delivery to the lake for service work, included in the purchase. We do not have a trailer, they launch and pull for us. They have gone as far as grabbing it from our slip at Gilford Yacht Club, driving it out to Glendale, then haul from there.

At the end of the season I gave them a date to pull it, left it at Glendale and they took care of the rest.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
Greene's Basin Girl

I want to thank everyone for all of the pontoon boat suggestions. I attended the New England Boat Show and I looked at the various brands. At that time I decided on Harris or Bennington. Melvin Marina has been been wonderful to me as I have been thinking about purchasing a pontoon for a couple of years. Melvin Marina is also much closer to us so. The salesperson has Channel Marine has also been top-notch. Probably by the time I decide summer will be over once again. Big toy purchase decisions are not easy.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
RLW

Quote:
I want to thank everyone for all of the pontoon boat suggestions. I attended the New England Boat Show and I looked at the various brands. At that time I decided on Harris or Bennington. Melvin Marina has been been wonderful to me as I have been thinking about purchasing a pontoon for a couple of years. Melvin Marina is also much closer to us so. The salesperson has Channel Marine has also been top-notch. Probably by the time I decide summer will be over once again. Big toy purchase decisions are not easy.
I say, just go for it and go into hock like many of us. Ya, there is the monthly payments, but look at the fun you will be having during the summer and then looking forward to every March and April to start all over again.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
Knomad

We bought a 2011 Harris Sunliner from MVM back in 2010 when they first introduced the line to their dealership.
We had looked at the Bennington's as our second choice but felt the Harris had the best overall value. Having purchased 2 other boats from MVM over the past 12 years, we knew we would get a quality boat as well as quality service.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #22
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

We,also were torn between Premier and Bennington and even though we love Winnisquam Marine,we settled on the Bennington.They have almost identical features....both tritoons with a 250 o/b.But we liked Benningtons design much better.The stern rails are sloped back to the deck of the boat,giving it a sleek look (if you can call anything about a pontoon boat "sleek") all the other "toons" have straight rails that make them look very boxy.
My $.02
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #23
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
We,also were torn between Premier and Bennington and even though we love Winnisquam Marine,we settled on the Bennington.They have almost identical features....both tritoons with a 250 o/b.But we liked Benningtons design much better.The stern rails are sloped back to the deck of the boat,giving it a sleek look (if you can call anything about a pontoon boat "sleek") all the other "toons" have straight rails that make them look very boxy.
My $.02
The 2011 and up Premiers have the arched railings instead of the straight rails.

The Beningtons are a nice boat, but in my opinion, where the Premier really outshined the benington was the seats, the benny was comfortable but the Premier was "Oh My God" comfortable, and at the end of a long day on the water, that extra comfort is really noticed.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #24
Kerk

Smile Pootoon Boat

I would vote for MVM . I have been a customer for about 30 years and have purchased several boats from them. Great people ans super service. MY boat is the only way I get to Camp and have never been left stranded. jmho
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #25
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Are you sure about that,Grandpa?.......I told them at Winnisquam why I had decided to go with the Bennington and they never told me that they had models with that rail.......would have rather dealt with them.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #26
Grandpa Redneck

Yep Samiam, I am sure. Though not sure how Benningtons rails compare. Ours is a 2010, and after seeing the 2011s I almost wanted to trade in toward a 2011. Here are a couple of pics and you can check out more at Premiers site http://www.pontoons.com/

Old 03-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
Knomad

Once you've narrowed down your choice, it is important to take the different models out for a test ride. Make sure that it will perform for the way you plan to use the boat. Don't just take the salesman's word.
The reputation of the marina, it's sales and service staff, and the support of the manufacturer is also important.
As I said in a earlier response, I'm more than happy with my Harris from Melvin Village Marina. Like Winnisquam Marine, MVM is a family business. Everyone I've delt with has been there for me when I've needed them.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #28
FINANCEGUY

Default Pontoon Boats

Irwin Marine in Laconia carries Berkshire Pontoon Boats. Very high quality boat, owned by Berkshire Hathaway (a Warren Buffet Company). A guy I know purchased a 26 foot tri toon from them last year with a 250 or 300 Verado on it. Boat will do over 45mph with 8 guys on it. Very high quality boat all around. You may want to take a look at them.
FINANCEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #29
JPC

Quote:
You may want to check out the boats at New England Boat Show in Hampshire Dome Milford NH. The lakes region dealers are there and it looked like the majority of boats were pontoon boats. At least you'll be able to compare different brands.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #30
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Redneck View Post
Yep Samiam, I am sure. Though not sure how Benningtons rails compare. Ours is a 2010, and after seeing the 2011s I almost wanted to trade in toward a 2011. Here are a couple of pics and you can check out more at Premiers site http://www.pontoons.com/

They do have curved rails, mine looks like the top one. The hammered black looks great.