Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Rangervx

Default Chart-plotters

can you guys chime in on chart-plotters that you have used and like...must have GPS for the new speed limit on the lake (outboard engine...speedo is not mechanical and accuracy is a joke)...thanks
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
ThePlut

Default Two

Had a Navman 5500i and currently have a Standard Horizon CP180, both of which used the Bizer C-map chip. Each had/has pluses and minuses. Navman is out of business now, although you might find a 5500 or 5505 out there used.

I think Standard Horizon has replaced the 180 with the 190 which is an identical unit with built in maps and, I think, an internal antenna with an optional external antenna connector (whereas the 180 came in external antenna and internal antenna variants).

I'd recommend the SH based on my personal use. Easy to use, accurate, viewable in sunlight, fairly intuitive menus.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlut View Post
Had a Navman 5500i and currently have a Standard Horizon CP180, both of which used the Bizer C-map chip. Each had/has pluses and minuses. Navman is out of business now, although you might find a 5500 or 5505 out there used.

I think Standard Horizon has replaced the 180 with the 190 which is an identical unit with built in maps and, I think, an internal antenna with an optional external antenna connector (whereas the 180 came in external antenna and internal antenna variants).

I'd recommend the SH based on my personal use. Easy to use, accurate, viewable in sunlight, fairly intuitive menus.
I have an older SH CP155C that's good, but I really like the SH 180 in ThePlut's boat. That's a really nice piece of gear. It has a cool feature that draws a line on your projected course and updates the course frequently. It's really handy when you are heading towards markers that you can't yet see; heading toward the Grave yard from Melvin Village is a perfect place for this feature.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Lakepilot

I've got the Standard Horizon 180 also and like it.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
gf2020

Quote:
Navman is out of business now, although you might find a 5500 or 5505 out there used.

Not really out of business, just no longer sold in the US.

http://www.navico.com/en/our-Brands/Navman/

I have a Northstar Explorer 650, same as the Navman 6500, and it is a nice unit. I would have no hesitation buying a leftover or used Northstar or Navman unit. Navico will still provide tech support.

I might look for a larger Northstar M84 or move up to a new Simrad (another Navico brand, along with Lowrance) touch screen unit next year, however.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
hancoveguy

On my second Cp-180I (internal antenna) Love it.. Last one went with the boat and I immediately went out and bought another identical one.

I could navigate without it but why would you wanna...

If you shop around I bet you could get one with the chip (if the 190 needs it) for under $500...Worth it all day long

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
dogma

Default portable GPS

I am looking for a portable or hand-held GPS that we can take from boat to boat..thinking about i-pad as a possibilty, too. Has anyone used an i-pad with GPS map loaded? This is new territory for me, so not sure where to begin.
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I am looking for a portable or hand-held GPS that we can take from boat to boat..thinking about i-pad as a possibilty, too. Has anyone used an i-pad with GPS map loaded? This is new territory for me, so not sure where to begin.
We've used an IPAD and an IPHONE with Navionics software loaded and it works OK. We also have a Garmin Etrex that we use in the Kayak.

On the big lake we use a Standard Horizon and in SW Florida we use a Garmin 546S which also has the fish finder. But for portable use we use Navionics. The Navionics database is really good down in Florida, but a bit crude on Winni.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
ThePlut

Default iPad or iPhone

Dogma,

If you are considering an iPad or iPhone, you should scroll down in the forum to this thread:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12696

Someone has developed a Winni navigation app for that. I'm not a user, since I already bought the GPS, but for the money, it seems like it could be very worthwhile to have...
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePlut For This Useful Post:
bkgoodman (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
bkgoodman

Quote:
Dogma,

If you are considering an iPad or iPhone, you should scroll down in the forum to this thread:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12696

Someone has developed a Winni navigation app for that. I'm not a user, since I already bought the GPS, but for the money, it seems like it could be very worthwhile to have...
We are also in the process of doing an Andoird app for 2012. Both apps use only genuine Bizer charts - which you can't beat for Winnipesaukee.

Bizer also makes their charts available in Garmin BlueChart format. More info is here
bkgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
For a handheld unit, I use a Garmin Rino 530 for my backcountry and hunting needs. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146&pID=8523 (This is the unit and the page with available maps, Lake Winni is included)

The reason I use this type of unit is multiple. It has a feature that allows me to see the exact position on my map of other people in my hunting party. Very helpful if someone needs a hand with an animal. Also I can grab the position of any person in my group without their having to be involved (such as an accident that will not allow for a response from the other user). It can comunicate with any handheld two-way radio up to 5 miles away (we did get approx 8.5 miles while in Colorado from peak to camp, but line of sight and wind conditions were perfect). You can also call out up to 15 miles over Restricted airspace if an emergency required it (or if you are licensed to use that function, you can use it anytime you want) It has options for AA battery packs as well as recharge packs. You can grab weather updates from NOAA at any moment or monitor your Ba to predict how a front will affect you in your given location.

I have had this unit for just about 5 years and have not had a single glitch or issue that was not my creation. My unit does not have the turn-by-turn function that the unit I posted has (the Hcx was an upgrade model that added that function a year after I purchased mine), but that is not a need for me, but may be for you. I have used this unit in temps down to 35 below (approx. 18 hrs exposure) without issues that wouldn't plague any electronic unit. In that temp range an exposed cell will die and this unit will just run slow, but help is still a call away (within reason, it is not a sat nav call unit).

The added expense, when compared to any other handheld GPS on the market will be quickly evident, but they have other models with less function if you need it, but the screen resolution is a major difference. My father has the 130 and his screen is the same as any other GPS I have used, while mine has very clear detail with the same battery life.

I am currently looking at the new 600 line prior to an upcoming paddle trip to Baffin Island, as the feature additions have really spiked and most fit my requirements of a backcountry GPS.

That is my review of a product I have used exclusively more than most people ever use a GPS for. But, always carry a solid and dependable compass and fully understand how to use against a map. A compass is always PRIMARY with the GPS as a SECONDARY in the tool bag.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
bkgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
But, always carry a solid and dependable compass and fully understand how to use against a map. A compass is always PRIMARY with the GPS as a SECONDARY in the tool bag.
Here here! As an avid GPS user and nav software developer, I whole-heartedly agree. If you want a chuckle, take a look at the disclaimer I put on my GPS software!
bkgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
dva

Default Lake charts for android

Does anyone know if there has been any progress on the Lake chart download for an android ? Looking forward to get it on my tablet.
dva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
pcmc

Default multiple function

What happens if your using your android as a GPS and someone calls you? Do you lose the GPS, or is there a way see the navigation and talk?
I know its not a good idea to be talking and navagating at the same time, and thats not my point. I would like to know that when the GPS is in a time of need a phone call isn't going to abandon the GPS. We all know that call will come at the worst possible time.
This happened to my cousin on the way to Xmas dinner this year. Everyone was calling here, not knowing someone else just called, to find out if she was lost. We all laughed about it later to find out she was telling everyone to stop calling her because her GPS feature stopped every time the phone rang. I don't have the brand smart phone she uses, but I would think you could block a call if you trying to navigate, especially when its illegal to talk on the phone and drive at the same time.(unless hands free in CT anyway) The program knows your driving and on the move, why would it allow the call?
just thinking out loud.....
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Just Sold

Default Garmin 521S

I got a Garmin 521S with the transponder (sonar) for Christmas and can't wait to get it installed on the boat and try it out. It has a split screen capability for depth and GPS location. Seems that it will do the trick for us. Anyone else have one?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
pcmc

Reviews for the SH 190i seem consistent, its well liked.

If I buy this unit is there additional software(chips, ect..) that is needed to be loaded, for the "detailed charts" of Winni, or is it fine tuned right out of the box?

I would like to use the most recent edition of the bizer map. How is this added to the gps, is this a download via internet or something purchased else where? Are bizer maps preloaded on the gps?

Last edited by pcmc; 03-29-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
Reviews for the SH 190i seem consistent, its well liked.

If I buy this unit is there additional software(chips, ect..) that is needed to be loaded, for the "detailed charts" of Winni, or is it fine tuned right out of the box?

I would like to use the most recent edition of the bizer map. How is this added to the gps, is this a download via internet or something purchased else where? Are bizer maps preloaded on the gps?
bump......
Old 03-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
bump......
the website says it's pre-loaded with the coast and the great lakes. It probably does not include Winni.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
pcmc (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
pcmc

How do people install the Bizer charts to the gps?

ThePlut mentioned having a Bizar C-map chip, is this a highly detailed map of Winni that has better features than the standard gps unit?

I haven't seen a gps for water navagation work yet, do they show hazzards below the water line? Some descriptions talk about under water hazzards, do they work well and are they accurate?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
Dave R

Quote:
How do people install the Bizer charts to the gps?

ThePlut mentioned having a Bizar C-map chip, is this a highly detailed map of Winni that has better features than the standard gps unit?

I haven't seen a gps for water navagation work yet, do they show hazzards below the water line? Some descriptions talk about under water hazzards, do they work well and are they accurate?
There's a micro SD (or similar format) port on the chart plotter. You simply buy the Bizer chart on a chip and insert it into the plotter. The Bizer chart is indeed highly detailed and shows all underwater hazards that are not near shore (the hazards you could hit at high speed) and many that are near shore (but not all). The accuracy very precise. It also shows all the navaids and shows the correct route around them, where applicable. If you use the chart correctly, you won't hit any fixed hazards.

One nice feature with a chart plotter vs a plain GPS is that you can plot a route ahead of time using waypoints that you create. The plotter will then visually guide you along your route. If you know you are going into tricky spots, build a route ahead of time and you'll have a virtual highway to follow so that there's no ambiguity or confusion. This can be handy up by Pistol Island in Moultonboro Bay, for instance. Another nice feature is projected course. This is a line on the display projected ahead of your vessel's icon that shows where you will go if you continue on the same course. You can use this line and the navaids displayed to be certain that you are headed in the right direction to pass the correct side of a spar 1/4 mile ahead, for instance.

Standard Horizon lets you download manuals for free. I recommend that you do that and read up on how to use the plotter's features.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
pcmc (03-31-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #21
pcmc

Dave,
Thankyou for such a thorough reply.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
Charlie T

Default Standard Horizon

SH has Chart Plotter simulators on their website that you can download. This will allow you to test drive the unit you are considering.

I wouldn't go out on the lake without my SH GPS with the Bizer chip. Saved my butt many times.

Good Luck

Charlie
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
pcmc (03-31-2012)