Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
bkgoodman

Default NEW - Lake Winnipesaukee iPhone/iPad/iTouch Navigation & Chart App!

After about a year in development, I'm pleased to announce the release of my comprehensive Lake Winnipesaukee navigation and charting application!

This application uses the official Bizer™ charts, giving it the most accurate information about the lakes one can obtain anywhere.

In addition, it uses the devices GPS (or add-on GPS) to turn your device into a complete navigation system. It allows you to view your position on the chart, and even rotate the chart to your orientation on the lake. It also includes features such as waypoint and route navigation, the ability to send and share your location and waypoints with other people, an integrated compass, and a lot, lot more!

Get it now on the AppStore, or check it out online at:

http://www.bradgoodman.com/LakeWinni/

lakewinni@bradgoodman.com
bkgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkgoodman For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
bkgoodman

I just had to post this, after reading another post about the guy who found that anchor...

In the program you can send wapoints, and click to load them right into the program. For example, if you clicked on this:

lakewinni://wp/Sandy%20Rock/43.620556/-71.328842

...it would save a waypoint in the program to "Sandy Rock" - and optionally make it your new destination!

Don't click on it - unless your on your iPad, with the program running on it

Or you can send links everyone can use, like: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=43.620556,-71.328842

Sorry for the spamy-post, I just think it's cool and I like to brag

I'll stop now
Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
AmericanBoatClub

Default android?

Any chance your going to port is over to android or WP7? Keep up the great work I put you up on our FB page. Now you just need to add crowd sourcing the MP locations (just kiding
AmericanBoatClub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AmericanBoatClub For This Useful Post:
bkgoodman (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
bkgoodman

Thanks - definitely not the first request for an Android version - so it's definitely "in consideration" right now!

Thank you!

-BKG
Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
welchislandman

looks like a really nice app !
any promotion codes for this one
welchislandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to welchislandman For This Useful Post:
bkgoodman (07-29-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Ride & Dive

Default App Purchased

I just loaded your app and will be on the lake tomorrow. I am looking forward to seeing it in action.
Will let you know
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
Baja Guy

I have been wanting some kind of electronic mapping but have held off due to costs and being unsure of how they will look and behave. I haven't had a need for a car GPS because I normally travel where I am familiar. However this one has the right look to me.
Brad. my boat is open top, how does the view look in bright sunlight?
Also as compared to a regular Garmin GPS with a Bizer installation how is the app better?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
bkgoodman

I have heard iPad displays can be difficult to read in direct, bright sunlight I believe. I don't really have a lot of first-hand experience with this, so I don't know.

I have never personally had a problem with the iPhone, but I would advise you try your device in such conditions and see if the display is reasonable.

I have heard that iPads, on bright days, in direct sunlight, when it is HOT outside will give the user a warning that the device is too hot to use. (This is not with my app specifically, just something I have generally heard). I have never had anything like this happen in my iPhone - so again - this is second-hand information not directly related to my app. Just trying to tell you everything I know!

-BKG
Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
Ropetow

Default questions

This sounds like it could be a great App. Reading your spec sheet it appears that full functionality won't be available unless you have a GPS enabled device. Does this mean the iPad must be 3G and not just WiFi? And I guess that it leaves out the iPod Touch.

When do you think there will be an Android version available, and will that also require 3G for the tablet?

What aboyt the BlackBerry Playbook tablet or BlackBerry Smartphones?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
diz

Default I like it

I bought the app this weekend. I was a bit skeptical about it because of the iPhone's small screen but I was impressed once I used it. I'm not sure it'll replace my Garmin but if you're out at night or unsure of which way to pass a marker it's great. The interface and routing/waypoints are very well implemented.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diz For This Useful Post:
bkgoodman (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
bkgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post
This sounds like it could be a great App. Reading your spec sheet it appears that full functionality won't be available unless you have a GPS enabled device. Does this mean the iPad must be 3G and not just WiFi? And I guess that it leaves out the iPod Touch.
Yes, and no. The app will work - it will let you view chars, pan, zoom, rotate, etc. But it isn't too much more than a chart viewer. Since it doesn't "know" where you are, it can't show you your distance and heading to waypoint, or draw the chart with your current position at the center, etc.

However - there are a few third-party add-on GPS devices which we are in the process of qualifying to work with it. This means even if you have one of these device, you can clip this little box onto your device, and get full GPS capability with my, or any other iPad/iTouch software. (By "Qualify" - I mean it works will ALL iPad/iTouch apps, and should just work fine with mine, but I haven't physically tried it yet, so don't want to overspeak).

Quote:
When do you think there will be an Android version available
Not exactly sure. I don't write much Android - but there has been a lot of requests - so we may do that.

Quote:
and will that also require 3G for the tablet?
Let me clarify: On Apple's devices, the GPS is built into the same chip that does 3G. Therefore, if you get the model without 3G, you don't get GPS. It's not that it uses or relies on 3G capabilites for anything. So - if a device were to exist that had GPS, but didn't have 3G - that would be fine.

What aboyt the BlackBerry Playbook tablet or BlackBerry Smartphones?[/QUOTE]

I don't know - we are looking into a few options...

Thanks again for your interest!

-BKG
Old 08-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
Dogberry01

Navionics has a great app for andriod you need to get the U.S. East verision
bkgoodman (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
bkgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry01 View Post
Navionics has a great app for andriod you need to get the U.S. East verision
The question is: Where do they get their Winnipesaukee charts?

NOAA does not chart Winnipesaukee, so most chart kits won't include it. The lake has been charted by only a few private companies. Bizer is the first and foremost, which I use. The other ones are "Placemat Quality".
Old 08-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Dogberry01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgoodman View Post
The question is: Where do they get their Winnipesaukee charts?

NOAA does not chart Winnipesaukee, so most chart kits won't include it. The lake has been charted by only a few private companies. Bizer is the first and foremost, which I use. The other ones are "Placemat Quality".
I have Navionics US East app on my droid. I use it everytime we go out on the lake? Not sure where you are getting your info? The app also includes Squam, Winnisquam, and many other lakes in the area for only $14.99. They also make it for the Iphone.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
MassCamper

I just purchased the app and I am very impressed. It appears very user friendly, I can't wait to go out on the lake, just need to figure out how to keep the iPad secure.
MassCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MassCamper For This Useful Post:
bkgoodman (08-02-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #16
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry01 View Post
I have Navionics US East app on my droid. I use it everytime we go out on the lake? Not sure where you are getting your info? The app also includes Squam, Winnisquam, and many other lakes in the area for only $14.99. They also make it for the Iphone.
One of the advantages of the Bizer map is it's careful attention to detail with regard to the location of rocks and other obstructions. Such detail is not included on the Navionics maps.

The Navionics maps are great to tell you exactly where you're located on the lake when you hit a rock; you can then tell the rescue boat exactly where to go to tow you back to your dock.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DBreskin For This Useful Post:
bkgoodman (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
Newbiesaukee

When using the iPad in direct sun,it can overheat. When this happens a message comes on and, indeed, it does shut itself off until it cools down.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
Chris Exley

Default Windows Phone 7?

I will second the hope for a WP7 version.

Thanks
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #19
MassCamper

Smile

I purchased this app this week. *I also recently purchased a new boat and have yet to install my Garmin GPS. *I have decided that I'm not going to bother. *This app is the best $35 I have ever spent! *Using the large screen iPad was great, and the bright sun was not a factor! *I noticed one bug and emailed Brad. *I received an immediate response and the bug was fixed! *I would highly recommend this app!
The Following User Says Thank You to MassCamper For This Useful Post:
bkgoodman (08-03-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #20
Guiness

Default Downloaded

Just bought the app for my iPhone. Looks cool! Just need the weather to improve and I will test it on the water.
Guiness is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guiness For This Useful Post:
bkgoodman (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #21
Guiness

Default Good first run!

The app worked great. I certainly did not test all the features but it was easy and accurate. Thanks!
Guiness is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guiness For This Useful Post:
bkgoodman (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #22
diz

Default Useful even on dry land, too!

This week a coworker came back to Mass. after renting a place in Meredith. He had started to explain where it was when I realized I now have a copy of the Bizer chart in my pocket. We quickly pinched, scrolled and flicked our way to the exact location. This little app is really growing on me.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diz For This Useful Post:
bkgoodman (08-05-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #23
bkgoodman

Calling all users!

I'd you get a chance, please rate it in the AppStore.

Thanks!

-BKG
Old 08-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #24
DBreskin

I purchased and used the app today. It's great; much easier than trying to keep track of my location on the paper map.

Two comments:
I found the app would get stuck in portrait orientation sometimes when I had the toolbar visible and changed from portrait to landscape mode. The orientation would change so the portrait view was displayed upright in landscape mode but only took up about 2/3 of the screen on the left side. The right third of the screen was grey.
It would be nice to have the device location icon show as an arrow (or boat outline) indicating direction of travel instead of a red circle.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #25
Island Girl

Default This app vs. pdf

Since I don't have the GPS version of an ipad, what would be the benefit of this app over the pdf version of Bizer's map on my ipad?

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #26
MassCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
Two comments:
I found the app would get stuck in portrait orientation sometimes when I had the toolbar visible and changed from portrait to landscape mode. The orientation would change so the portrait view was displayed upright in landscape mode but only took up about 2/3 of the screen on the left side. The right third of the screen was grey.
It would be nice to have the device location icon show as an arrow (or boat outline) indicating direction of travel instead of a red circle.

I noticed the same issue in portrait mode. Another suggeston would be a bread crumb option. Also when putting in track routes, after the first route is entered and you pinch the screen to zoom in the program shuts down. If you don't zoom in it's ok.

Besides these minor issues, I think it works great!!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #27
bkgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassCamper View Post
when putting in track routes, after the first route is entered and you pinch the screen to zoom in the program shuts down. If you don't zoom in it's ok.
Ah! I've never run into that - but I don't know if i've tried that. It sounds like another manifestation of a bug in the mapping kit when it tries to draw a line with only one point in it. I've worked around some similar issues, it sounds like zooming while adding a new route (when it has only one point in it) is another case of that.

Thanks for the report - I will fix ASAP, and am also working on the issue in portrait mode.

-bkg
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #28
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Default Accuracy question

bkgoodman, I understand that the iphone has "some" GPS receivers and also uses cell tower aiding information. I have not been able to find any real data as to iphone tested position accuracy and/or data on number of GPS receivers.

We are considering an iphone and the app looks like a good deal for Winni boaters. That is if the iphone position data is consistently accurate enough. We do have a Standard Horizons GPS unit with the Bizer chip in one boat and the combination is very accurate. The iphone app would be used in a 2nd boat but only if the iphone position accuracy approaches the stand alone GPS unit.

Thanks
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #29
bkgoodman

The whole "cell tower location" (and even "WiFi Station Location") are used only when you have an app that wants to get a vague idea of where you are. An app can request a lower amount of positional accuracy which will use these other techniques. This saves battery life because cell tower location uses less power than running the GPS receiver.

For my app, I crank the accuracy up to "full", which means that you will always be running off of the GPS (as you can tell be the little GPS arrow showing in the toolbar).

As for the accuracy of the iPhone's GPS vs. others - from what I can say from my own experience - it is about as accurate as any other. It does not have WAAS, but unless your doing a precision approach in an airplane, I don't know that that's important.

Aside from that, the only downside I could see on the iPhone vs. another GPS would be the antenna. If you were in some sort of enclosed, shielded cabin, you may be better off with a device that could support an external GPS antenna. (Actually,*can* use an external bluetooth GPS with my app as well. I've tested this and can recommend one that works well. My guess is you really don't need it. [That is more for people with iTouches or iPads with no GPS receivers in them].)

You could obviously experiment yourself with the built-in maps application. My app will have the same accuracy as the phone's GPS when running it.

In summary - I'd say that the accuracy is very good, on-par with any other device and you'll be happy. I have received nothing but very positive feedback from other users, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkgoodman For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (10-14-2011), VitaBene (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #30
hancoveguy

I second, third, fourth or whatever number we are at...on the DROID version....Would buy it the second it came out...
HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #31
bkgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
I second, third, fourth or whatever number we are at...on the DROID version....Would buy it the second it came out...
HCG
Giving some very serious concideration to an Android app for next spring...
Old 10-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #32
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgoodman View Post
Ah! I've never run into that - but I don't know if i've tried that. It sounds like another manifestation of a bug in the mapping kit when it tries to draw a line with only one point in it. I've worked around some similar issues, it sounds like zooming while adding a new route (when it has only one point in it) is another case of that.

Thanks for the report - I will fix ASAP, and am also working on the issue in portrait mode.

-bkg
Very good App... How are upgrades handled for those of uss that bought early?
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #33
kauriel

I also vote for an android app! Be sure to let us know if one is developed!!!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote