Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default Glendale No Wake

While at the Witches lighthouse meeting someone was soliciting a petition to sign for a no wake zone in what she called Glendale Bay.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
Weekend Pundit
Senior Member
 
Weekend Pundit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gilford
Posts: 191
Thanks: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default Not A Bad Idea

Dealing with boats coming from the Welch's Island side or Saunder's Bay side into Glendale can be an adventure. If they're transiting through between Locke's and Pig Islands and they're on plane the adventure can become exciting. Posting Glendale as a No Wake Zone is not a bad idea.

I've had my boat swamped by a Carver coming through and its wake broke over my bow and soaked everything in the cockpit. I've had boats cut across my bow less than 20 feet away while they were on plane and I was at headway speed. I've seen boats come into Glendale on plane and not come off plane until they were within 100 feet of the Glendale docks or even less distance from the channel into Smith 's Cove.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
macbeth
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 40
Thanks: 26
Thanked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit View Post
Dealing with boats coming from the Welch's Island side or Saunder's Bay side into Glendale can be an adventure. If they're transiting through between Locke's and Pig Islands and they're on plane the adventure can become exciting. Posting Glendale as a No Wake Zone is not a bad idea.

I've had my boat swamped by a Carver coming through and its wake broke over my bow and soaked everything in the cockpit. I've had boats cut across my bow less than 20 feet away while they were on plane and I was at headway speed. I've seen boats come into Glendale on plane and not come off plane until they were within 100 feet of the Glendale docks or even less distance from the channel into Smith 's Cove.
I've seen Marine Patrol come into Glendale on plane and stop just short of their docks, 100 feet or so on many occasions
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,302
Thanks: 1,532
Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
I've seen Marine Patrol come into Glendale on plane and stop just short of their docks, 100 feet or so on many occasions
The no wake markers are exactly 150 from marine patrol docks. There is no reason to come off plane before then unless encountering another boat or similar object within 150.

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-17-2019), Cal Coon (08-27-2019), Reilly (08-27-2019), Slickcraft (08-28-2019), steve c (08-28-2019), upthesaukee (08-27-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 PM   #5
chachee52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tyngsboro, MA and Gilford, NH
Posts: 120
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

The area between Glendale and Locke used to be a No Wake Zone years ago. I remember my dad and I getting pulled over early in the season the year they took it out, I was probably 13-14 years old (42 now) and MP was telling us about the NWZ, my father pointed out that it always had been but did not see it out right now and asking if the winter took the markers. The MP looked puzzled and then looked around and I do remember him saying "Crap, I forgot they did take this away".
Its one of those situations now, if you slow down like truely you should due to the width of the area, then someone will just blow by you too close and get swamped. Or keep at speed and "join them". Either way, not a good choice.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2019, 11:13 PM   #6
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 534
Thanked 542 Times in 348 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
The area between Glendale and Locke used to be a No Wake Zone years ago. I remember my dad and I getting pulled over early in the season the year they took it out, I was probably 13-14 years old (42 now) and MP was telling us about the NWZ, my father pointed out that it always had been but did not see it out right now and asking if the winter took the markers. The MP looked puzzled and then looked around and I do remember him saying "Crap, I forgot they did take this away".
Its one of those situations now, if you slow down like truely you should due to the width of the area, then someone will just blow by you too close and get swamped. Or keep at speed and "join them". Either way, not a good choice.
In and out of Glendale since 1950. No such recollection of NWZ. Even the 150 foot rule didn't exist then.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-27-2019), Reilly (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,302
Thanks: 1,532
Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
In and out of Glendale since 1950. No such recollection of NWZ. Even the 150 foot rule didn't exist then.
Actually Descant, there was a no wake zone there previously for a short time...At least that is what the officers at Glendale told me. (I don't remember it either) Because of this any attempt for it to be brought back would be a long shot at best...

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #8
chachee52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tyngsboro, MA and Gilford, NH
Posts: 120
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Actually Descant, there was a no wake zone there previously for a short time...At least that is what the officers at Glendale told me. (I don't remember it either) Because of this any attempt for it to be brought back would be a long shot at best...

Dan
If I remember this weekend I'll take a pic of our map that shows it. It was basically the entire area from the point of Glendale out to the point of Varney point.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
Barney Bear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 710
Thanks: 318
Thanked 184 Times in 116 Posts
Default 'Twas There

I remember that there was a No Wake Sign in that location.

I also remember when the red with white top spar buoy located in Glendale Harbor near the No Wake buoy was a black with white top spar buoy. I believe a large rock is located here. Sail boat keels might hit it in low water times.

We frequently return from East Bear Island to FBY passing between Locke's Island and Pig Island. We come off plane well west of the lighted buoy due to the narrow distance between the two islands. One frequently meets a boat in this location, and can not avoid being over 150 feet of the boat and 150 feet away from one of the two islands.

Often, we encounter boats passing us on plane, meeting or overtaking us there, thus we are treated to a brief rock and roll session. Whoopeeeeeee! 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:52 AM   #10
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,664
Thanks: 461
Thanked 825 Times in 574 Posts
Default

I thought I remembered it being a No Wake zone at one time too. I agree, though, any area when you are not 150' from shore, docks, etc is no wake. Of course it doesn't much matter because people don't know what no wake means.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
harbor guy (08-31-2019), Hillcountry (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #11
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 534
Thanked 542 Times in 348 Posts
Default Unnecessary

More NWZ around the lake really seem unnecessary to me, if people slow down when other boats are close by. No other boats present? Don't need it. Perhaps if MP did a directed patrol with 3-4 boats like land based police do, and stopped people who are not obeying the boat to boat headway speed rules, word would get around?

As the discussion moves along, I do recall a NWZ sign for a brief time in front of the channel into Smith Cove. (1959?) It was not intended, I believe, to apply to all of Glendale Bay, although there was confusion as to what it did apply to. Then the channel was fully marked as NWZ , but you could speed up again once inside Smith Cove. I remember water skiing in Smith Cove when it was too windy on the main lake. Then the entire cove was made NWZ and the three marinas and milfoil pretty much took over the cove.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #12
GodSmile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 125
Thanks: 74
Thanked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
More NWZ around the lake really seem unnecessary to me, if people slow down when other boats are close by. No other boats present? Don't need it. Perhaps if MP did a directed patrol with 3-4 boats like land based police do, and stopped people who are not obeying the boat to boat headway speed rules, word would get around?

As the discussion moves along, I do recall a NWZ sign for a brief time in front of the channel into Smith Cove. (1959?) It was not intended, I believe, to apply to all of Glendale Bay, although there was confusion as to what it did apply to. Then the channel was fully marked as NWZ , but you could speed up again once inside Smith Cove. I remember water skiing in Smith Cove when it was too windy on the main lake. Then the entire cove was made NWZ and the three marinas and milfoil pretty much took over the cove.
You said it, and I agree, if the MP did a patrol... but this is happening right in front of their new costly building and I don't ever see anyone stopped.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GodSmile For This Useful Post:
Descant (08-29-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #13
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 309
Thanks: 478
Thanked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Just saw another one (of many this season) head out of Smith Cove at way above headway. For this alone, I am in favor of the no wake. Most were not rentals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #14
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,302
Thanks: 1,532
Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Just saw another one (of many this season) head out of Smith Cove at way above headway. For this alone, I am in favor of the no wake. Most were not rentals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Honest question....so if this boater / boaters already went above headway speed in the no wake area of Smith Cove, how is adding another no wake zone going to change anything?.

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!

Last edited by ishoot308; 09-05-2019 at 09:13 PM.
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Descant (09-05-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 05:42 AM   #15
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,664
Thanks: 461
Thanked 825 Times in 574 Posts
Default

It's not adding another No Wake Zone. It''s just putting a sign up to remind people. But that still doesn't make a difference because people don't seem to know what a wake is and Marine Patrol doesn't seem to enforce it.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #16
GodSmile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 125
Thanks: 74
Thanked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Default Enforcemnent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It's not adding another No Wake Zone. It''s just putting a sign up to remind people. But that still doesn't make a difference because people don't seem to know what a wake is and Marine Patrol doesn't seem to enforce it.
Agree, it's a matter of enforcement. Why can't we try that?
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #17
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,302
Thanks: 1,532
Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It's not adding another No Wake Zone. It''s just putting a sign up to remind people. But that still doesn't make a difference because people don't seem to know what a wake is and Marine Patrol doesn't seem to enforce it.
Actually Tis, the petition in question is in fact about adding another no wake zone just outside of the one that is already there.

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #18
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,265
Thanks: 792
Thanked 653 Times in 354 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It's not adding another No Wake Zone. It''s just putting a sign up to remind people. But that still doesn't make a difference because people don't seem to know what a wake is and Marine Patrol doesn't seem to enforce it.
Why does everyone fall back on the cause being the MP not enforcing rules. On any given boat ride, I see boats violating all sorts of laws and rules. There aren't enough MP boats, to be every where at once. However when they are where there are violations occurring, they have to make decisions on which one are most important to intervene on.

150' violations, and no-wake violations, unless there is a sense of endangerment or gross failure to obey, seem like issues I would prefer the MP, to let slip.... I would rather see them out, enforcing DUI issues, and dealing with people in distress....

Now back to the case at hand. People shouldn't be surprised by this.... Meredith created and has expanded a no wake zone. Other area's where boats congregate for access and entertainment are going to fallow suit it is just a mater of time. I for see Wolfeboro bay, going down this road as well. The one area where I am surprised there hasn't been a call for enlarging the no-wake area, is at the weirs....

All in all, as boats have become bigger, and boaters themselves less concerned about fellow boaters, the conditions on a body of water like Winnipesaukee are only going to continue to degrade in this aspect.
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LIforrelaxin For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 309
Thanks: 478
Thanked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Honest question....so if this boater / boaters already went above headway speed in the no wake area of Smith Cove, how is adding another no wake zone going to change anything?.

Dan
It’s probably just wishful thinking that they wouldn’t go on/stay on plane for the extended distance. Maybe next season I’ll buy a bullhorn, set myself up by the existing marker, and just yell at people.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillygirl For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #20
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default Big boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
All in all, as boats have become bigger, and boaters themselves less concerned about fellow boaters, the conditions on a body of water like Winnipesaukee are only going to continue to degrade in this aspect.
I disagree about boats becoming bigger on this lake. Since 2008 and when the economy tanked, there are more and more day boats and pontoon boats and less large Carver like cruisers. The trend since 2008 has been buy a property to stay in and then rent/buy a slip for a day boat since no need to stay on the boat with property/house/condo. I have observed several slips that used to have larger cruiser liveaboards now replaced by pontoon boats, bowriders and now surf boats.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #21
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,664
Thanks: 461
Thanked 825 Times in 574 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Actually Tis, the petition in question is in fact about adding another no wake zone just outside of the one that is already there.

Dan
Sorry, I thought somebody said it is already within 150' from shore which would make it an automatic no wake zone. I guess I misunderstood.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #22
Garcia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 203
Thanks: 38
Thanked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I disagree about boats becoming bigger on this lake. Since 2008 and when the economy tanked, there are more and more day boats and pontoon boats and less large Carver like cruisers. The trend since 2008 has been buy a property to stay in and then rent/buy a slip for a day boat since no need to stay on the boat with property/house/condo. I have observed several slips that used to have larger cruiser liveaboards now replaced by pontoon boats, bowriders and now surf boats.
I disagree with your disagreement. Boats today are bigger and beamier than they were years ago. Just look at the issues with public docks and marinas. Slips and docks were not designed for boats with 8' or bigger beams - right now this is one of the issues Meredith is wrestling with as they look to redesign docks in Meredith and Sheps.

Perhaps we're talking about different time frames - 20 plus years ago, family boats were typically in the 18-21 foot range. Today, 25' or bigger seems more the norm. This makes sense, as I also believe there are many more day users (people who have a slip but no property, valet, or trailer) so a bigger platform for the day makes things more comfortable.

Just my observations, recollections, and thoughts...
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #23
DPatnaude
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hopkinton, MA / Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

There have always been short term adjustments when gas prices were high or the economy not doing as well, but the long term trend is definitely an increase in boat size. Our own experience being based in Center Harbor and Moultonborough:
  • Early 1970's - 15' Arkansas Traveler, 55 hp, 6' beam
  • Mid 70's to Mid 80's - 15' Glastron, 80 hp, 6' beam
  • Late 80's - 18' Sea Ray, 225 HP, 8' beam
  • 90's - 23' Sea Ray, 260 HP, 8' beam
  • 2000's - 26' Sea Ray, 330 HP, 8.5' beam

In the early days, a trip to Alton Bay was once a year. Now, it is Wolfeboro, Alton Bay, and Meredith all in the same day...
DPatnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #24
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default bigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I disagree with your disagreement. Boats today are bigger and beamier than they were years ago. Just look at the issues with public docks and marinas. Slips and docks were not designed for boats with 8' or bigger beams - right now this is one of the issues Meredith is wrestling with as they look to redesign docks in Meredith and Sheps.

Perhaps we're talking about different time frames - 20 plus years ago, family boats were typically in the 18-21 foot range. Today, 25' or bigger seems more the norm. This makes sense, as I also believe there are many more day users (people who have a slip but no property, valet, or trailer) so a bigger platform for the day makes things more comfortable.

Just my observations, recollections, and thoughts...
I disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement. I am talking from around 2008 on, not from 1920, 1930, 1940, 1950. 1960 etc, you get the point. Are you denying that there are more pontoon boats on the lake? I stand by my previous post. There is no doubt in my mind that I see much less large Carver liveaboard types on the lake and where I am docked. The marina I am in was full of large Carvers, a lot of people stayed overnight on their boats. Now many of the large boats that were in the marina I am in are gone and replaced with pontoon boats and day boats, 20 -25 foot range. I know a lot of people in my marina got rid of the large boats, bought a condo or moved here and now have a smaller day boat.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #25
Garcia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 203
Thanks: 38
Thanked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement. I am talking from around 2008 on, not from 1920, 1930, 1940, 1950. 1960 etc, you get the point. Are you denying that there are more pontoon boats on the lake? I stand by my previous post. There is no doubt in my mind that I see much less large Carver liveaboard types on the lake and where I am docked. The marina I am in was full of large Carvers, a lot of people stayed overnight on their boats. Now many of the large boats that were in the marina I am in are gone and replaced with pontoon boats and day boats, 20 -25 foot range. I know a lot of people in my marina got rid of the large boats, bought a condo or moved here and now have a smaller day boat.
Fair enough. I'll pay more attention when I'm there next, but what I see is more bigger boats - even in the past 10 years since 2008. Definitely more pontoons boats - and bigger ones in the 25' range as opposed to the under 20' range. I don't see these as replacing the big Carvers but instead replacing the smaller boats. Maybe it's different in different part of the lake.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.36008 seconds