Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2004, 09:31 AM   #1
DRH

Default Login

Hi Don,

I have noticed that on the new Forum I must log in with username and password each time I come to the site, even though I have "Remember me" checked off.

When I log out, a box appears on the screen that says all cookies have been cleared. I think that's why we have to log in each time. Is there a parameter in the forum configuration that allows the login cookie to remain on users' computers when we log off?

Don
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Login

What is going to happen is that people will not log off. It will look like they are on the forum when they are not.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hughes
Hi Don,

I have noticed that on the new Forum I must log in with username and password each time I come to the site, even though I have "Remember me" checked off.

When I log out, a box appears on the screen that says all cookies have been cleared. I think that's why we have to log in each time. Is there a parameter in the forum configuration that allows the login cookie to remain on users' computers when we log off?

Don
Hi Don,

From what I can see it is working properly. If you log in to the Forum (and click "remember me") and then close your browser without logging off, you'll still be logged in the next time you open a browser and go to the Forum. I just tried this several times and I always stayed logged in until I actually clicked the logoff link.

Only when you logout is the cookie cleared.

If you don't click "remember me" you won't be remembered after you close your browser.

I hope that answers your question.

PS The "Currently Active Users" list does not come from who is logged on. It only lists users who have been active in a certain time frame. I couldn't find the setting right now but I think it's 5 minutes.

Last edited by webmaster; 04-07-2004 at 11:15 AM.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
DRH

Default I Understand Now

Thanks Don (Webmaster) and Scott for your explanations of how the login function works. I was thinking of it differently and now I understand the purpose of "Remember me".

Don
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:32 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Thanks!

I did try to just close the browser. Then I logged in as a guest from another computer, but didn't wait long enough. Thanks for the help.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links