Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
Pepper

Thumbs up The new server is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster
... The entire site will be moving to a fast new server soon with all the latest versions of the PhotoPost, Forum and other software packages that make the various site features work.

Don
Did you guys see this note???????????
I can't believe no one else has jumped on this and exclaimed about how truly exciting this little tidbit of news is!

Don, I'm so glad that your dream server is soon to be a reality, and also wanted to tell you how nice it was to chat with you this evening.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:32 AM   #2
Island Girl

Default This is HUGE!

How's that?

Knowing something about upgrades... It is not a trivial task to undertake what Don is about to do.... So... when it happens; if Winnipesaukee.com is down or a little flaky (this includes Snake Eyes) please be patient.

Thanks Don!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
trfour

Thumbs up Bigger and better, every day, since 6-7-2002!

My thanks to Don, as well....
Mr. Webmaster. "Your brilliance and Captainship of this wonderful website, is enjoyed around the world, and all of us here are very proud of you!" * * * * * * * * * * S. and the most Best website in my world!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

To trfour all I can say is...thanks Dad

In other news, I just got back from a quick 24 hour trip to the lake. I got a lot accomplished including the consumption of a double-stuffed lobster roll at Waldo Peppers. If you haven't tried one you're missing something spectacular. Thanks Pepper and it was great to see you!

I also made a lot of progress on the new WeirsCAM. I ran 200 feet of new cabling from the Anchor Marine office to the roof of the pier, mounted the new camera in the old enclosure without trouble and actually got it working. That was more than I expected and I'm now testing it and figuring out how to best display the larger images. It may be that I need to go back up and adjust the lens for the best focus and f-stop before I get the optimum picture. I didn't have time to do that today and need some time for that and to test a second lens I have for it. I also need time to see if the temp/humidity sensor is usable since there was no good way to mount it or get it's big connector into the old camera enclosure. For now I left it off.

While I get everything ready for the new images the WeirsCAM page will not be updating. It may take a few days and I'll post a note about it on the current image.

The other exciting news is that the new server is here, at least physically! I have a mountain of work (and learning) to do before it's ready but it is definitely my "dream" server and I'm excited to get going on it. After all the initial loading and configuring I plan to install the latest versions of all the site's software and get everything up to date while I have the chance. I also run several other sites on my server and I have to make the transition as smooth as possible for them.

All this is going to take quite a while to do in my spare time. It could be 2 weeks, 2 months or maybe more so please be patient. I'll make announcements on the Forum and elsewhere on the site when it's coming since everything could be down for a day or two as I switch over.

Once that is done this forum, PhotoPost and the rest of the site should fly. Without getting too technical this is a dual Xeon 3.2 processor Dell server (picture below) that should provide much more power and capacity than we'll ever need. In fact it could be overkill. I could never have afforded a server like this without the generous help of "codeman671" who knew that I was in need and arranged an incredible deal. Without his help a server like this would not have been possible. Thanks again codeman671!

That's the news for tonight.

Don

Last edited by webmaster; 06-10-2005 at 12:44 AM.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:45 AM   #5
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Talking

This is all very exciting! I can imagine the amount of work that must go into this but BUT can't imagine all the technical expertise involved. Nor can I imagine the site being down for a few days! Many thanks to our Webmaster, Don, and good luck with that learning curve! Hats off also to codeman 671.

PS - Any more thoughts on uses or locations for the old web cam?

Last edited by mcdude; 06-10-2005 at 06:48 AM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2005, 07:10 AM   #6
Silver Duck

Don

Your hard work enriches many, many lives and I, for one, am profoundly grateful!

Congratulations on the new equipment. I look forward to the site enhancements!

Thanks,

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:42 AM   #7
Pepper

Thumbs up Ditto Silver Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Duck
Don

Your hard work enriches many, many lives and I, for one, am profoundly grateful!

Congratulations on the new equipment. I look forward to the site enhancements!

Thanks,

Silver Duck
I couldn't possibly have expressed my feelings any more perfectly than Silver Duck has just done. Ditto to everything he said!
Old 06-10-2005, 09:01 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs up ditto!

Silver Duck hit it on the nail! Can't be expressed better!

Thanks again Webmaster!

As for the old Weirs cam, how about asking Cynthia Makris if we can install it above the beach bar????? A world class bar will make it a world class cam!!!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 09:14 AM   #9
Steve

Awesome news, and thanks for all your hard work!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #10
GWC...

Wink For those weak in memory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
I have access to a few different configs of new Dell Poweredge 1750 rack mount servers which I can get for far less than Dell direct (I am a wholesaler). The top spec that I have is dual 3.2g xeons, 4gb ddr, 2 36gig drives with 1 open drive bay, redundant power supplies, 2 nics, 2 Pro 1000 MT fiber cards, etc. They come with a 3 year Dell onsite warranty. I could cut one loose at my cost, $2100 in order to help out the site. To order this one from Dell today it would probably cost twice that. They are presold but if someone was interested I could set one aside from the existing order. I have 13 of this type and some lesser configs as well, I do not mind holding one if there is interest out there. My next batch will probably not come for another 2 months once these go.

The only thing that it does not come with is a giant hairdryer to make this ice go away faster!
Thank you codeman671 and Webmaster for making the future a little more enjoyable.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #11
Island Girl

Default O/s

So... what O/S will you be using on the fancy new box. Aren't you on a sun server now?

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:43 PM   #12
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
So... what O/S will you be using on the fancy new box. Aren't you on a sun server now?
Now I have a Sun Cobalt RAQ-550 running Linux (a version of UNIX that runs on PC/Intel platforms). It came with the OS installed and was plug and play right out of the box.

The new server has no OS installed and is a blank slate. I will be installing FreeBSD Linux when I receive the distribution disks I ordered. FreeBSD is a popular version of Linux that many ISPs use on their Dell servers. And, as the name implies, it has the huge advantage of being FREE! I do plan on investing in a powerful control panel/administrative package to make server management for me and sites I host (like yours IG) a lot easier.

Don
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you and congratulations Don! The new server and the new WeirsCam is such a big deal!
Silver Duck expressed it so eloquently, so what he said.
codeman671, thanks for helping to make the Webmaster’s dream a reality.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:25 AM   #14
codeman671

Default Glad to help!

I am glad that I could help! Don, sorry it took a few weeks longer to get than I had planned but I think it will be well worth it in the end. Out of the four configurations that I have access to Don bought the "baddest" server that I could get. Hats off to you Don! You are the on that puts countless hours in behind the scenes to make this all happen. Enjoy it everyone!
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:43 PM   #15
trfour

Default Cobalt is very Fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster
Now I have a Sun Cobalt RAQ-550 running Linux (a version of UNIX that runs on PC/Intel platforms). It came with the OS installed and was plug and play right out of the box.

The new server has no OS installed and is a blank slate. I will be installing FreeBSD Linux when I receive the distribution disks I ordered. FreeBSD is a popular version of Linux that many ISPs use on their Dell servers. And, as the name implies, it has the huge advantage of being FREE! I do plan on investing in a powerful control panel/administrative package to make server management for me and sites I host (like yours IG) a lot easier.

Don
!... If you should run into any problems, I just happen to know an expert, "in cobalt,.. One of my older Brothers" that would be more than happy to help you out, should you need any!
Check out; careplusglobal.com

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 06-11-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:38 PM   #16
Pepper

Thumbs up Hats off to Codeman671

Codeman671 = WinniForum's newest hero!

Thanks for playing such a huge part in helping our Webmaster obtain his "Dream" server! I'm glad to hear it's "the baddest!"

Hats off to Codeman671!
Old 06-12-2005, 07:53 AM   #17
Just Sold

Default Hats Off!!

Silver Duck said it so well and I echo his sentiments.

And a special thanks to Codeman671 for helping our Webmaster with getting the new server. Pepper is right he is the Forums newest hero.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:14 PM   #18
DRH

Default I Agree!

The previous posters have expressed the thanks we all feel to Don, our terrific Webmaster, and to Codeman671, for his help in procuring the new super-server. Don just keeps making this website better and better!
Old 06-26-2005, 07:31 PM   #19
trfour

Thumbs up Wonderful Captains, out here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH
The previous posters have expressed the thanks we all feel to Don, our terrific Webmaster, and to Codeman671, for his help in procuring the new super-server. Don just keeps making this website better and better!
My thanks to you All!

Love,
T.