Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
AkwaMarina

Default How Much Time spent Cleaning?

Hello All,
Long time reader, long time classified user, not much of a talker, but I have kind of a fun fact question.

How much time would you fellow boaters say you spend cleaning your boat?

(this is not a loaded question or trolling of any kinda, it was a question that was asked of me and I didn't really have a good answer)
AkwaMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Not Much!

I usually wash the boat every few weeks or so. The interior gets vacuumed and wiped down at the start of each weekend.

Maybe 15 minutes a week? The boat stays covered when not using it- that to me is the key to not having to clean too much.

I can't wait for OCD's answer!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Dave R

I like to keep my boat very clean. I probably spend a half hour cleaning per day on the water, on average. My boat is a 25 foot cuddy cabin.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
jrc

Not enough. I don't have the time to keep up with cleaning and enjoy the boat.

We vacuum every two weeks, wipe down the vinyl almost every week, wash the swim platform every day, wipe the counters every day, wash the eisenglass twice a season, wax the hull each spring (pay someone), bottom wash each fall (pay), wax the topsides twice a season (needs more). Wash the windshield once a year (always streaks).

I can't wash my boat during the season, which drives me crazy. So I just wipe up black streaks and use a cleaner wax.

All this and the boat still always looks dirty.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
camp guy

Default How much time spent cleaning ?

Cleaning a boat regularly, very regularly, is very smart when it comes to what you do with your boating time. Clearly, keeping your boat clean shows a level of pride, but, it also provides time for you to inspect your boat for minor wear and tear. Everyone knows that boat maintenance is expensive, but if you can keep up with the little problems as you go you may very well avoid some of the bigger problems down the road.

As you clean certain areas check for any wiring problems, loose fittings, anything missing or broken. Also check your mooring line, docking lines, and auxillary lines for wear and tear. I could go on, but you get the idea.

In reality, you can't afford not to maintain your boat. That's my story and I'm sticking to it (BTW, I sold my boat!).
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I usually wash the boat every few weeks or so. The interior gets vacuumed and wiped down at the start of each weekend.

Maybe 15 minutes a week? The boat stays covered when not using it- that to me is the key to not having to clean too much.

I can't wait for OCD's answer!
Thanks VB for calling me out.. LOL... Actually just finished putting and extra coat of wax and polish where the scum line is. She is rarely in salt and I don't want to take chances....

Well lets see........ She gets washed every Friday before going in. Basically just a wash with marine soap, rinsed, vacuumed and I have shurhold spray shine to hit any tough spots.

Every morning (when it is in the water) I have knee pads and I wipe the dew off her (try to get down before 8am so the dew doesn't dry into water spots ) then hit the deck and rails with the spray shine. Then brush the sides by the scum line to make sure I can anything off the accumulated over night.

Every Sunday pull her out, wash the sides and the transom. I get some oil tarnish from the exhaust. This usually is soap then some type of polish on the back. She gets buttoned up under two covers and I hang Damp Rid accumulators in the cabin and the cockpit.

Repeat every weekend.

At the beginning of the year, she gets fully washed, waxed buffed, polish buffed, and spray shined top to bottom. That took over a month every Friday 6 hours for about 6 weeks until it was the way I wanted it...

So I figure I have put about 42 hours on the boat so far this season. With the amount of time cleaning the engine, inside and out I would say 3 to 1 ratio. 3 hours for every hour driving her.....

Anyone want to discuss cost of cleaning supplies??
Old 08-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Skip

Smile Very often...

I make sure my wife spends one to two hours per week keepin' the Becca spick & span!

Yeah....right

I have a 26 foot pocket cruiser, and she spends most of her time in salt or brackish water now. Means I have to wash her down each time we go out.

Since the boat is docked just down the street from my house now, we tend to go down a couple of times a week after supper to enjoy the cooler air, a few cocktails and a quick barbecue. That means a good clean up also each week, maybe an hour or two total.

As has been said already, you need to stay ahead of the game and never let the maintenance catch up to you!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
robmac

I must spend at least an hour per outing plus an extra 15-20 minutes aftereach use wiping her down.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Cleaning Schedule

I spend at least a month in the Spring, cleaning, polishing and waxing the boat. It is 22 years old, and I make sure that everything is repaired and in order before the first launch. During the season, periodic washing and vacuuming does the trick. Keeping it covered is a big plus.

When fall comes, I do a thorough cleaning. If the water is not beading on the top coat, I would give it a quick wax to avoid oxidation.

I am blessed to have a carport big enough to keep the boat under. Folks finds it funny, I value my boat over my truck!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts

1 hour per month is about all I need to do. The wife always helps however!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
XCR-700

NONE! no boating this year,,, (so far,, bt there is still hope,,, )

But normally about 1/2 an hour to an hour everytime I use it, but then I a trailer boat day-tripper so maybe thats different than the folks that keep theirs in the water and use it very often.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
VtSteve

I spend about 2 hours a month, not including bottom cleaning. I just did the deck and stainless, interior is vacuumed every trip, or every other trip. I do a 303 protectant on the seats and side panels after every weekend. I try to do the bottom with a sponge/brush every weekend, but it never works out that way.

In the spring, I do a full polish/sealant plus a coat of wax. That usually lasts all summer long. The worst part is keeping the deck shiny, but not slippery. This is the first year I used Woody Wax (misnomer) on the non-skid deck and swim platform. Pretty good results. But I'll have to get the polisher out and really shine it up now after 4 years. The polisher really does a much better job than by hand. I do anchor lot, so I don't want to be slip sliding away on the deck, and the Woody Wax works on non-skid decks as advertised.

Every now and again, I test the screws to see if anything's loosened.

Overall, I'd estimate 3-4 hours a month, excluding windshield cleaning and little stuff like that. 1-2 days for major polish/sealant with orbital polisher. If I trailered my boat, I'd be a little more like OCD, but definitely not 100%
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
AkwaMarina

Default thanks

All great answers, I guess it really boils down to just how OCD you are.
AkwaMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I spend about 2 hours a month, not including bottom cleaning. I just did the deck and stainless, interior is vacuumed every trip, or every other trip. I do a 303 protectant on the seats and side panels after every weekend. I try to do the bottom with a sponge/brush every weekend, but it never works out that way.

In the spring, I do a full polish/sealant plus a coat of wax. That usually lasts all summer long. The worst part is keeping the deck shiny, but not slippery. This is the first year I used Woody Wax (misnomer) on the non-skid deck and swim platform. Pretty good results. But I'll have to get the polisher out and really shine it up now after 4 years. The polisher really does a much better job than by hand. I do anchor lot, so I don't want to be slip sliding away on the deck, and the Woody Wax works on non-skid decks as advertised.

Every now and again, I test the screws to see if anything's loosened.

Overall, I'd estimate 3-4 hours a month, excluding windshield cleaning and little stuff like that. 1-2 days for major polish/sealant with orbital polisher. If I trailered my boat, I'd be a little more like OCD, but definitely not 100%
same mine stays in the lake from Memorial Day to Second week of november and I do not have a trailer, I am limited to interoir and top cleaning only,
Boy would Love to scrub all the way down to the keel with a soap or something instead of just scrubbing it with lake water

Got any ideas or is their any cleaner I can use while sitting in the water to clean the scum line and a little below it?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
jrc

DES will not let you use any cleaner, biodegradable or not.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
VtSteve

I usually apply a polish, then a sealant in the spring. After that, using a soft brush or abrasive side of microfiber sponge works well. Not perfect, but pretty good. I use a mask and fins. Not as easy as the old days, but it gets done, eventually
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
DES will not let you use any cleaner, biodegradable or not.
Almost all the marinas wash boats on shore. The drain water eventually ends up in the lake.

Lots of towns storm drains ends up in the lake as well. The Shore Line Protection Act does not cover storm drains?????
Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #18
trfour

Post Not So BroadHopper...

[Quote]/BroadHopper... " Almost all the marinas wash boats on shore. The drain water eventually ends up in the lake.

Lots of towns storm drains ends up in the lake as well. The Shore Line Protection Act does not cover storm drains????? "...

These days, Do not get caught using a storm drain for anything other than it's intended purpose, and that should eliminate most of us as I know that I could not produce a pictured licence with the name "Mother Nature" on it to the EPA if they should come knocking on my door.

Commercial businesses that wash Automotive equipment that includes boats, cars, trucks, construction and many others, need to have an expensive water recovery system that filters and recycles the water used. The EPA can also walk in and test your system for site contamination and or malfunction...

Now, we can go over the above already knowing that there is only one out of reach, so to speak, and the rest could not afford an insurance policy to keep any afloat trying to pay an EPA fine for noncompliance.
tenfour?

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 08-14-2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Spell Check error. ;)-
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #19
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Ummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Thanks VB for calling me out.. LOL... Actually just finished putting and extra coat of wax and polish where the scum line is. She is rarely in salt and I don't want to take chances....

Well lets see........ She gets washed every Friday before going in. Basically just a wash with marine soap, rinsed, vacuumed and I have shurhold spray shine to hit any tough spots.

Every morning (when it is in the water) I have knee pads and I wipe the dew off her (try to get down before 8am so the dew doesn't dry into water spots ) then hit the deck and rails with the spray shine. Then brush the sides by the scum line to make sure I can anything off the accumulated over night.

Every Sunday pull her out, wash the sides and the transom. I get some oil tarnish from the exhaust. This usually is soap then some type of polish on the back. She gets buttoned up under two covers and I hang Damp Rid accumulators in the cabin and the cockpit.

Repeat every weekend.

At the beginning of the year, she gets fully washed, waxed buffed, polish buffed, and spray shined top to bottom. That took over a month every Friday 6 hours for about 6 weeks until it was the way I wanted it...

So I figure I have put about 42 hours on the boat so far this season. With the amount of time cleaning the engine, inside and out I would say 3 to 1 ratio. 3 hours for every hour driving her.....

Anyone want to discuss cost of cleaning supplies??
You think if I let VB float adrift for a few hundred yards or so, you will consider adopting her?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #20
trfour

Default I Fired Off My Tow Vehicle This Morning...

And He double hockey sticks broke loose under the hood!!!! Kind'a glad I never checked under there first, cause as it turned out my electric fan and blade pretty much chewed up an alligator there...

Now, My Air Conditioning would not work, and I wasn't go'in nowhere here in Texas without it. So I popped the hood, got out and checked there under to find this fun?'ominon! Assessed the mechanical damage and performed a proper burial for the on the loose, and diseased.

So, I went back inside the house, got on the phone to my local Autozone and they had all of the parts to fix it, ' IN STOCK ', no less.

So I went back out and rolled the windows down and took a torch ride just down the road, got the parts continued on to my sister's to use her garage and fixed the tow vehicle back to new in no time.

And here again, to make a long story short. I was born in the North East, Loved every minute of it, Lake Winnipesaukee, Cape Breton Island NS.

Folks up north like to complain about black flies, mosquitoes, bite em no see em's, I'm not to 'shore about that pine pollen, and duck itch?

Down here in the south, they got [ to correct bite em no see em's, ] ALLIGATORS!!!!, Scorpions, black widows, every kind of poisonous snake and 'taranchchinchillas 'ta boot!!!!!!!!

Folks need to grow up around here!
And, I thought that I was looking forward to outer space.

Terry
__________________________________________________ ____

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote