Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2020, 06:17 AM   #1
bobkatfly

Default Service quote opinion

Looking to get some opinions on a quote I received recently from a marina on Winni.

Got a quote to do the following:

1) Replace sterndrive pump impeller.
2) Replace sterndrive bellows.
3) Replace anodes.
4) Sand, prime and paint some areas of corrosion down near the skeg.

Sterndrive is Volvo Penta DPS-B 2.32 and is on the boat.

Quote is $800. I don't have a real good feel for this so any experienced opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:06 AM   #2
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Looking to get some opinions on a quote I received recently from a marina on Winni.

3) Replace anodes.

Quote is $800. I don't have a real good feel for this so any experienced opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Price seems low to me, maybe Mercrusier Bellows are more difficult than Volvo Penta. Just make sure your comfortable with the Marina doing the work.

May be some other maintenance items to address with the drive pulled like the Gimbal Bearing. Again, I'm not familiar with Volvo but while it's apart do it all.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Formula260SS For This Useful Post:
bobkatfly (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
WeLoveTheLake

Do you have to replace the bellows every two years (recommended by the manufacturer) if you have a in and out service?
WeLoveTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WeLoveTheLake For This Useful Post:
bobkatfly (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Routine stuff

Sounds mostly routine, and reasonable price.. I'm aware of a boat that sunk in its slip because they didn't replace the bellows. Slow leak and the auto bilge pump kept up as long as the boat was being used and the battery charged. When use stopped for a few weeks, the battery went down and so did the boat. On fresh water, a lot of boats don't even have anodes. Is yours heavily worn because of salt water use? Some other factor?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
bobkatfly (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
Woodsy

Descant...

Most freshwater boats use anodes made from magnesium, not zinc. Galvanic corrosion occurs in fresh water as well as salt water. Stray electrical current from docks can also accelerate the corrosion.

Woodsy
bobkatfly (05-13-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

@Woodsy
Thanks for the clarification. When I asked the service manager about this a few years ago, he shrugged a little and said some people do, some people don't. We put it on the recommend list. If my dock did not have power, or on a trailer or valet, anodes, if you have them, should last longer than most other fixtures on the boat. So, the OP may or may not choose to replace depending on his boat's history. I have no idea, just bringing up the question.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
bobkatfly (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 06:24 AM   #7
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
Price seems low to me, maybe Mercrusier Bellows are more difficult than Volvo Penta. Just make sure your comfortable with the Marina doing the work.

May be some other maintenance items to address with the drive pulled like the Gimbal Bearing. Again, I'm not familiar with Volvo but while it's apart do it all.
Thanks for all the replies. I've done this work before and I do believe Merc bellows are more difficult. My current issue is I've developed some rotator cuff issues and don't feel comfortable doing the work at this time.
The boat is a 2012 Cobalt 210 that i bought in 2017 and I don't have any prior service history on it. It was in pretty good shape when I bought it so I've held off on service. I just think it's time to take care of the more common issues that could cause disasters as Descant described.
I'll also have other items checked while drive is off.
Thanks again everyone,

Old 05-13-2020, 06:39 AM   #8
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Sounds mostly routine, and reasonable price.. I'm aware of a boat that sunk in its slip because they didn't replace the bellows. Slow leak and the auto bilge pump kept up as long as the boat was being used and the battery charged. When use stopped for a few weeks, the battery went down and so did the boat. On fresh water, a lot of boats don't even have anodes. Is yours heavily worn because of salt water use? Some other factor?
They are quite worn and could be the reason for the corrosion I'm seeing near the skeg and on the rod ends of the trim cylinders. No salt but it's always in the water, slipped in a mostly stagnant area (the basin off Winter Harbor). This also gives me a lot of headache cleaning the hull every fall but can't beat the price I'm paying for the slip so it is what it is. New anodes are cheap insurance anyway.
Thanks.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:42 AM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Did all this and more

Quote:
They are quite worn and could be the reason for the corrosion I'm seeing near the skeg and on the rod ends of the trim cylinders. No salt but it's always in the water, slipped in a mostly stagnant area (the basin off Winter Harbor). This also gives me a lot of headache cleaning the hull every fall but can't beat the price I'm paying for the slip so it is what it is. New anodes are cheap insurance anyway.
Thanks.
A couple of years back, my boat needed the gimbal replaced. In the spirit of "while you're at it", along with the gimbal, replaced the bellows, the impeller, and the 3 (I think) anodes on my Mercury Alpha drive. I can't lay my hands on the receipt, but I think we paid around $1000-1200. Might have had one or two other minor things done at the same time.

Dave
bobkatfly (05-14-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

The impeller on a Volvo is not located in the stern drive rather is mounted off the crank pully of the engine.

Replacing one is far simpler and requires less time and disassembly as a Merc where the stern drive has to be drained and split.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
bobkatfly (05-14-2020), upthesaukee (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #11
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
The impeller on a Volvo is not located in the stern drive rather is mounted off the crank pully of the engine.

Replacing one is far simpler and requires less time and disassembly as a Merc where the stern drive has to be drained and split.
To clarify, Merc Bravo Drives are also engine driven. Alphas require splitting the drive. When doing a Bravo, I like to replace the assembly as a kit, not just the impeller.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
bobkatfly (05-14-2020), CooperS7777 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 06:31 AM   #12
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post

Looked at it yesterday. Looks easy enough. I think I may tackle that and anodes in my crippled state and leave the bellows to the marina.
Thanks.
Going to start a new post on my friends boat and hour meter if you care to comment.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:56 AM   #13
Bud63

Default Zinc Supplier

I use these folks for my magnesium ones

https://www.boatzincs.com/index.html
Bud63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #14
Taz

Default Quote

Quote:

3) Replace anodes.

Thanks
Bob
Lets see. I have a 09 Volvo 8.1 liter, 375 HP, replaced anodes fall 19, cost online for parts $50.00 very easy to install yourself to save labor but probably 1 hour labor and if marina purchases parts they will mark up. Replaced impeller spring of 19, parts and labor $193.08. my outdrive has 2 bellows, one for exhaust and one for universal joint. Replaced u-joint bellows in 2017, parts $62.35, will charge at least an hour of labor for at least $120 per hour (depends on marina labor rate) Double it if you are replacing both bellows. I also had outdrive repair completed fall of 19 after scraping some rocks, scrapes were filed, sanded, painted. Prop blade filed, that was $322.00. So I would say $800.00 is in the ball park. But be sure whoever is doing work is reputable and you trust them.

Last edited by Taz; 05-14-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote