Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Dave R

Default Why is it called Rattlesnake Island?

Anyone know the story?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #2
IslandSib

Default short answer

It has to do with at one time it was thought rattlesnakes used to bask in the sun on rocks at Rattlesnake...I am sure you will get the full answer from one of the forum members who are rich with history and facts. This should hold you until then.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

It's all Rattlesnake Gal's fault. They were going to name it after Governor Wentworth, but she didn't want to be known as Wentworth's Gal . Don't know why they picked Rattlesnake, unless they knew in advance that she was going to use Rattlesnake Gal! ...Then again, one of our historians may have a more plausible answer...
Old 07-07-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
GWC...

Talking Blame the rock bass...

The island was a spawning area for the elusive rock bass and if the island were named Rock Bass Island, they would be fished to extinction.

So, in an effort to scare fishermen away, it was named Rattlesnake Island.

The fact that there were rattlesnakes on the island did not sway the naming of the island.

One other thought, neighboring Sleepers Island, formerly, Little Rattlesnake Island, was not a nursery for young rattlesnakes.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
Island Girl

Default Not since the early 1940's

I understood that there were Rattlesnakes on the island until the early 1940's. I heard that wild pigs were let loose to root them out. They were probably Timber Rattlesnakes aka Crotalus horridus

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
CEP

Here's what I can recall!
Years ago there where two brothers that owned the island. They got into some kind of hissy fit and one of the brothers put a stone wall down the middle of the island. (You stay on your side and I'll stay on my side, type of thing) Trying to drive the other brother off the island he let rattlesnakes go on his brother's side. Now the snakes grew in number! This drove both brothers of the island. Then they had to get some pigs to root out the snakes and get rid of them. They didn't get all of them because snakes where on the island till the 1940's. Libby Museum has some old remains taken from the island.

Now! I don't know if that's true or not!
That is what I have heard!
I'm sure I'll be corrected! HEHEHE!

CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #7
RLW

Thumbs up Rattlers in the North country

I have always been told that it is to cold for to long of periods for a rattlesnake to survive here in the north country as they do need warmth to live.
McD can you help us out?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
IslandSib

Default where are you Mcdude and Rattlesnake Gal

I know I read about the rattlesnakes when I was looking into history of Lake Winnipesaukee.
But, alas the memory fails me where I found this information.
I will begin again as they say...but where the heck are you two...you two I know have the answer.
Now I sign off to research.
I shall return.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
Island Girl

Default There were many rattlers in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
I have always been told that it is to cold for to long of periods for a rattlesnake to survive here in the north country as they do need warmth to live.
McD can you help us out?
Actually there used to be a lot more in NH. They are now an endangered species.

http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dl...9/1017/OPINION

....... Make Lemonade
Old 07-07-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
Island Girl

Default From Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee

"I can honestly say, however that the name came from the fact that there were 'rattlers' on the island. I can recall a Weirs Reunion Week exhibition of 'rattlers' caught on the island by experts. A few years ago it was possible to follow down the east shore of the island in a small boat on a bright, clear day, and see one or more snakes on the ledges in the sun. During lumbering operations on the island workmen have been bitten by them. On as least one occasion the island was burned over in an effort to exterminate them, once and for all. But the ledges that are their natural habitat were their natural protection against the fire, and, crawling deep into the rock clefts, they escaped the flames. I have not heard or seen any definite proof of the presence of snakes on the island in recent years."

Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee, pp 11-12 Second Edition, Paul H. Blaisdell

....... Make Lemonade
Old 07-08-2005, 04:32 AM   #11
Senter Cove Guy

Default What About Its Shape?

I always thought that it got its name from its shape. It kind of looks like a snake when viewed from the water looking north to south, say from light buoy #18.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #12
jimbob1603

Default Its the shape!!!

Climb Mt. Major and take a gander north. Rattlesnake Island must be named (at least in part) appropriately for its familiar shape of a snake.
jimbob1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #13
Dave R

Thanks folks, especially Island Girl. I have that book... duh
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:27 PM   #14
Misty Blue

Default How did Rattlesnake I get it's name?

flboater......

We need one of your stories!!!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:14 AM   #15
KBoater

Default Look

Look in the tread "In ancient times" for more.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:56 AM   #16
Smith Point

Default I know why it's called rattlesnake island

As we all know there were many Indians in and around the lakes regain of New Hampshire as legend has it they had many caressed possessions in witch they wanted to protect from the white man who recently inhabited the area, so what they did was to berry there treasures and riddle the island with rattle snakes to detour any one from venturing out on the island. Thus that’s how it got its name Rattle Snake Island.

As a boy 15years old or so I was very interested in hiking and rock climbing just graduating for outward bound I decided to climb the cliffs of rattle snake island. As I approached the top of the cliff there was a loose rock witch I removed and behind it was a snake! Well it took me about 2 seconds to scale down the mountain! (no pun intended) when I returned home I told my grandfather what I had seen, a brown snake with black squares on its back, we looked it up in a book of his and came to the conclusion that it was a diamond back rattle snake! As god as my witness this is a true story.

Come to think of it I wonder if that how Diamond Island and Treasure Island (witch are in the area) if that’s how they got there names.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #17
Island Girl

Default Diamondbacks not native to NH

The only native venemous rattlesnake in NH is the Timber Rattlesnake..

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/News...kes_091203.htm

....... Make Lemonade
Old 11-07-2005, 10:51 AM   #18
camp guy

Default Rattlesnake Island

The fact behind the naming of Rattlesnake Island is simple: when you look at the island from the east and north it looks like the tail of a rattlesnake, with the tip being toward Alton Bay. The irregular bumps going south to north represent the rings ("rattles") on the snake's tail. End of discussion. I must say, though, that the different versions of actual rattlesnakes being on the island do add to the mystique of the legend.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:18 PM   #19
Senter Cove Guy

Default I see it in the reverse...

with the rattlesnake's head closest to Alton Bay.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #20
keepyouredge

I once encountered a snake on rattlesnake is. that curled up and rattled its tail when I approached it, not sure if it definitley was a rattlesnake, but it fit the criterion.
keepyouredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:09 AM   #21
cemetery guy

Default Jesse Whitten and Rattlesnake Island

The fact that there once really were rattlers on Rattlesnake Island is also commented upon in Benjamin Parkers 1901 "History of Wolfeborough". One man that frequented the island was Jesse Whitten, a well known citizen of Wolfeboro. A man of religious bent, he was also known as a healer of sorts, even though he had no medical training of any kind and despite the fact that there were trained doctors in town. Among the ingredients in his remedies/concoctions were rattlesnake tails, "harvested" upon Rattlesnake Island.
cemetery guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:14 AM   #22
Wing Nut

Default The Story of the Snake

Long ago in the days of undeveloped landscapes and water of pure the local natives feared the island now known as "Rattlesnake". Though no one ever actually witnessed the object of this deemed terror, wild rumors abounded of a giant ape that roamed the hills of the island which was also guarded by a mammoth squid-like creature just off its rocky shores.

Tales of lore include a delicate princess who, after cheating on her prince husband, was sacrificed to the great ape to make amends for her sins. Other tales include children being taken to the nearby shores of the island and being thrown overboard to satisfy the great hunger of the giant squid. It was believed that the sacrificing of children taught other children to respect their elders and to remember to brush their teeth before bed each night.

As the ages went by and man learned to walk upright the tales of giant apes and squid gradually faded away, only to be replaced by fantastic stories of the island being overrun by horrible snakes that had fish-like tails and heads of Roman gladiators. Man had truly evolved up to this point and it was decided in public courts that the best way to drive the snakes from the island was to allow the land to be developed. Soon afterward, summer homes began to crowd the Ossippee sunsets and the snakes were driven off into the water.

In 1990 eels were discovered just off Little Bear Island. These eels are believed to be the snakes that were driven from Rattlesnake Island, having adapted to their environment. There have been several accounts of these eels suffering the fate of being mutilated by outboard motors and they have even been accused of slithering up water intake lines.

But alas, I have truly seen a mink on Mink island.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #23
sawyers_point_girl

I always thought it was because of the shape too! But hey, what do I know?? Learn something new every day!
sawyers_point_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #24
CHSLTD

Default Intersting...

All the different stories are very interesting. Makes for great reading!
CHSLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #25
carguy

Default Rattlesnakes on Rattlesnake Island

I remember seeing some "stuffed" Rattlesnakes at the Libby Museum in Tuftonboro that were supposingly caught on Rattlesnake Island. I also heard the stories of the island being set afire to get rid of the snakes.

Speaking of Lumbering Operations, I recall seeing photographs where portions of the island were denuded of trees due to the lumbering operations on the island. I also read that the island was used for sheep grazing when there were meadows on the island. Looking at the island now it is hard to believe that there were once meadows on the island.

In the mid 1950's myself and a group of fellow teenagers camped overnite on the island on a few occasions. In the early 1950's I don't recall there being any structures on the island. I remember when the Wolfeboro Real Estate Broker, J.I. Melanson, had the island surveyed and divided into lots. The lot numbers were nailed to the trees at the water's edge.

On my first camping experience on Rattlesnake Island in the early 1950's a group of us from Lake Shore Park motored over to the island in our flat bottom Dory boats with a small outboard motor. We pulled the boats up on a flat rock ledge just opposite Ames Farm. I didn't sleep a wink that night because I thought the chattering of insects were noises coming from the Rattlesnakes.

A couple of years later in the late 1950's on another camping excursion we docked our boats in the cove on the NW side of the point where it meets the main part of the island. Previous hikers had marked a trail to the summit of the island. We camped overnite on the island at the summit with a rock ledge being the backdrop for our campfire. Boy what a view of the lake from up there. I believe the elevation is around 900' at the summit. Shorly thereafter the island was developed and that put an end to our camping excursions on Rattlesnake Island.

Back in the late 1950's and early 1960's there was a measured mile with markers on the northwest coast of the island. We use to check out the speed of our boats on the measued mile. Not having been on the Lake in a boat since the late 1990's, I do not know if that measured mile still exists.

Finally, I nerver ran into any Rattlesnakes on the Island. If I had, I probably wouldn't have been here to write this posting, having died of a heart attack upon sighting the snake.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #26
MJM

Default Public Access?

I have heard there is a public hiking trail on the island.

True?

Where do you anchor & enter?
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #27
Island Girl

Default No Public Access or Hiking on Rattlesnake

Rattlesnake Island, like most Winnipesaukee islands, is private.

....... Make Lemonade
Old 09-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #28
MJM

Isn't there a LRCT dock and a trail for hiking?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #29
Pepper

MJM, not all of the LRCT holdings are open to the public. Click here for a list of those that are open and accessible to the public: http://www.lrct.org/public-access.html

The acreage on Rattlesnake Island is not on the list of publicly accessible areas. The remainder of Rattlesnake Island is held by private landowners, and therefore the entire island is private. Docking at any dock on that island would be considered tresspassing, I'm sure.

For a nice island hike on LRCT land, try Stonedam Island!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:08 AM   #30
MJM

Thanks for the clarification, Pepper.

One more question: Is the dock/trail open to LRCT members?

We did Stonedam in July, and found it to be absolutely fantastic. That's what got us looking for other places, especially any closer to us in Wolfeboro. And it got us to contribute to the LRCT.

We had several friends/family mention Rattlesnake, and I do know there is some sort of LRCT dock there, but no one seemed 100% sure what the actual status is.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:29 AM   #31
Pepper

MJM - I think that question is best posed to the LRCT. My guess is the answer is no, but I'm sure someone at the Trust could answer all your questions, and offer explanations. Judging by the size of the holding, versus the size of the island, I would imagine the gift was for the purpose of maintaining the parcel for wildlife conservation, not for public access.

Contact the Trust and let us know what you find out.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:26 AM   #32
MJM

I checked out the dock sign in person yesterday, and now understand the differentiation:
It is not open to the general public (as Stonedam Island is, for example), but it is open to LRCT members.

What a gorgeous weekend!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #33
SunsetPointWentworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC... View Post
The island was a spawning area for the elusive rock bass and if the island were named Rock Bass Island, they would be fished to extinction.

So, in an effort to scare fishermen away, it was named Rattlesnake Island.

The fact that there were rattlesnakes on the island did not sway the naming of the island.

One other thought, neighboring Sleepers Island, formerly, Little Rattlesnake Island, was not a nursery for young rattlesnakes.
That's very interesting. I've never heard that. Like most people, I always guessed it was because it was infested with snakes. I think Camp Guy probably has the best answer. There's a lot of good stories though
SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #34
nhd

Default The Naming of Rattlesnake Island

I have been working on various island histories for my website and I actually searched the naming of Rattlesnake... you can find the full article here http://www.nancydeporter.com/islands...-lakes-realty/
nhd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nhd For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (07-26-2013), Longtimelurker (07-26-2013), rgilfert (07-26-2013), SteveA (07-26-2013), SunsetPointWentworth (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #35
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

As kids, we were always told it was because of the rattlesnakes on it or the shape. No one really seemed to know which for sure.

There is a rattlesnake in the Libby Museum that they say is from Rattlesnake. It might be, but when we were kids there were no rattlesnakes in the Museum until my uncle found one up on Rte. 171 in Tuftonboro and donated it to the museum. I remember us all gathering around to look at it. I believe the Museum may be incorrect in saying the snake there is from Rattlesnake Island.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
jmen24 (07-26-2013), SunsetPointWentworth (07-26-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #36
Scott's Yott

Are there bears on Bear Isle?
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #37
Island Girl

Default Rattlesnake Mountain?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhd View Post
I have been working on various island histories for my website and I actually searched the naming of Rattlesnake... you can find the full article here http://www.nancydeporter.com/islands...-lakes-realty/
I just read the article in the link n this post.. I have never heard The top of Rattlesnake Island referred to as Rattlesnake Mountain as stated in the article. Anyone???

....... Make Lemonade
Old 07-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #38
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
I just read the article in the link n this post.. I have never heard The top of Rattlesnake Island referred to as Rattlesnake Mountain as stated in the article. Anyone???
No, I never heard it called Rattlesnake Mountain.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #39
camp guy

Default Rattlesnake Mountain

Rattlesnake Island has always been Rattlesnake Island, and for as many people involved in a discussion of its name you will have as many theories, maybe more !!

However, if you 'google' Ratlesnake Mountain you will find a small mountain range north of Squam Lake named 'The Rattlesnakes'.

(So, the intrigue continues!)
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #40
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Bear on Rattlesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott's Yott View Post
Are there bears on Bear Isle?
As of last fall there was a brown bear on Rattlesnake. I personally have not seen evidence though. An islander from the northern end told me about it.

There once was a bear on Bear Island. That's how Bear Island got it's name!

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 07-29-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #41
nhd

Default Mount Rattlesnake

This is where I got the information for Mount Rattlesnake...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattles...New_Hampshire)
nhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #42
ApS

Exclamation Certainly, There Were Rattlesnakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
As kids, we were always told it was because of the rattlesnakes on it or the shape. No one really seemed to know which for sure.

There is a rattlesnake in the Libby Museum that they say is from Rattlesnake. It might be, but when we were kids there were no rattlesnakes in the Museum until my uncle found one up on Rte. 171 in Tuftonboro and donated it to the museum. I remember us all gathering around to look at it. I believe the Museum may be incorrect in saying the snake there is from Rattlesnake Island.
1) If there were rattlesnakes in Tuftonboro, it's reasonable to believe there were rattlesnakes on Rattlesnake Island—especially as the island was uninhabited until recent years, and has the elevation and rock-ledge environment that are very favorable to them. Normally, I'd take such "anecdotal witness" tales with a grain of salt; however, the rattlesnake sightings strongly support the Rattlesnake Island name.

2) Yesterday I spoke with member Keith, who expanded on his years-ago Winni.com post (below) that the rattlesnake of his Grandfather's day was located on Tuftonboro Neck. Keith is unquestionably a scientist of some note, with a local business involved with Mycology.

3) ...and that is was the family Ganzy (ph.) who had to repeatedly shoo rattlesnakes off their porch!

4) Another thing: Near Raymond, NH, is another volcanic "Ring Dike" that is said to support rattlesnakes today.
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #43
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Libby Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post

It is my recollection that there are several rattlesnakes or skins at the museum.
Someone should go look and report back.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #44
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
It is my recollection that there are several rattlesnakes or skins at the museum.
Someone should go look and report back.

I went last summer and only remember seeing the one. But there is a lot to see there so I might have missed others. My grandfather helped Dr. Libby put the museum together, he was sort of like the first curator. So he was one of those that went out to Rattlesnake.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #45
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
1)
4) Another thing: Near Raymond, NH, is another volcanic "Ring Dike" that is said to support rattlesnakes today.
North of Raymond center is Pawtuckaway SP.To the W/NW of Pawtuckaway Lake is a ring dike clearly visible on Google Earth when viewed from 20-40,000ft.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:20 AM   #46
GodSmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
I understood that there were Rattlesnakes on the island until the early 1940's. I heard that wild pigs were let loose to root them out. They were probably Timber Rattlesnakes aka Crotalus horridus

Recently finished reading two books on the history of Lake Winnipesaukee and according in the book Lake Winnipesaukee (from the Making of America Series by Bruce Heald, it states that Rattlesnakes did inhabit the island until about 1940, accounting for the name. It also says that one of the last ones found there can be found preserved in a local museum of natural history.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #47
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSmile View Post

Recently finished reading two books on the history of Lake Winnipesaukee and according in the book Lake Winnipesaukee (from the Making of America Series by Bruce Heald, it states that Rattlesnakes did inhabit the island until about 1940, accounting for the name. It also says that one of the last ones found there can be found preserved in a local museum of natural history.
Which I still believe it wrong. The rattlesnake at the Libby Museum was brought there by my uncle. He found it up on 171 while he and his state crew were cutting beside the road. That just shows how history isn't always right.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #48
camp guy

Default Why is is called Rattlesnake Island?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
The fact behind the naming of Rattlesnake Island is simple: when you look at the island from the east and north it looks like the tail of a rattlesnake, with the tip being toward Alton Bay. The irregular bumps going south to north represent the rings ("rattles") on the snake's tail. End of discussion. I must say, though, that the different versions of actual rattlesnakes being on the island do add to the mystique of the legend.
Regardless of the facts, I stand by my submission of 2005. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #49
tis

I think the honest answer it it has gotten lost in the history of why it was really named Rattlesnake, camp guy. I have always heard both that there were rattlesnakes there and that it is because of the shape of the island. The only thing I do know for sure is that the rattlesnake at the Libby is not from Rattlesnake Island. When I was young there was no rattlesnake at all in the museum and then this one was found by my uncle as I said and the museum took it. I remember it was a big deal-we all went to look at it both at my uncle's house and then in the museum.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #50
camp guy

Default Why is it called Rattlesnake Island?

I like the answer tis gave about the true reason of naming Rattlesnake being lost in history, and now it has moved into that mystical category of 'legend', and will live forever as a topic of discussion. We should all be so lucky!
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
tis (05-04-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #51
Accipiter290

I too believe that the island was named for its likeness to a rattlesnake. When coiled either defensively or for hunting, they create almost a figure 8 or "infinity" symbol with their heads poised outward in the center. If you google pictures of rattlesnakes you will see countless examples.
Accipiter290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #52
Steveo

Default Careful Snakes

I live in Loon Cove and many years ago the residents of Loon Cove put up a sign that said Be careful of Snakes. The reason was because they wanted to stop people from anchoring there. Maybe it is the same reason for Rattlesnake, helps keep people off the island.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #53
chipj29

There are many islands on the lake you could ask the same question of.
Is Bear Island shaped like a bear, or were there a lot of bears there at one time?
What about Diamond Island? Shaped like a diamond, or is there a treasure trove of diamonds there?
Ship Island? Was it a ship at one time? Shaped like a ship?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #54
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Is Bear Island shaped like a bear, or were there a lot of bears there at one time?
What about Diamond Island? Shaped like a diamond, or is there a treasure trove of diamonds there?

In 1772 six men arrived at the island to survey it. Their dogs found and treed four large bears. The men shot the bears for their meat but it ended up in a knife fight (the men had the knives, not the bears). The men were injured but lived, the bears not so much! At that point they named the island Big Bear Island. Later shortened.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (05-07-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #55
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post

UH, OH, Diamond Island people. We are all going to come out there and start hunting for diamonds!!!! You will be overrun!!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #56
Bear Islander

In 1841 the Belknap, the lakes first steamboat was wrecked and sunk in a storm just off of what is now Steamboat Island. Remains of the wreck are still there.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote