Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #1
Juiced06GTO

Default Anyone familiar with this property/land?

I am guessing that this end of the lake is not desirable or there is a groth problem in the water judging from the overhead pictures, but the price doesn't seem bad for 10 acres with water front. Anyone familiar with the area? Spetic is already installed as well.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0...00593144_zpid/
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

The provided map shows a location not on Lake Winnipesaukee. When looking up Fox Hollow, it shows a street in the middle of Lee's Pond and Winnipesaukee. Given the length of the dock and rough location guess, it's in a section just north of Hanson Cove, where our camp is. If it's where I'm thinking, we've kayaked it often. Very serene, only one or two homes in the area, but loaded with water plants. My sense is that the length of dock is required to get a boat in there without tangling up. In fact, thinking about it, I can only think of three homes up there, and one of them appears abandoned.

So, if it's where I think, it's a super peaceful and beautiful location, but the water quality would make it much less usable than other places. My guess is that there are limitations to what an owner could do to change that.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
stingray (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Check the Moultonborough GIS tax maps and there is a 10.04 acre lot on Fox Hollow with frontage on Lees Mills section of the lake. Ownership is shown as James and Margaret Maynard. Interesting part of lake at very close to the end of Fox Hollow. Not sure of water depth since it is tucked in away from the channel.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
loonguy

The overhead pictures show the actual waterfront and much of the 10 acres, which is conservation land (wetlands that cannot be built on). The area that can be built on and septic system appear to be close to the road (Fox Hollow) and set back from the Lake with the conservation land limiting options lakeside. I think the dock is on association land at the end of Fox Hollow because no dock is allowed on conservation land. The lot has been on the market for several years with different brokers.

Last edited by loonguy; 03-03-2019 at 04:13 PM.
loonguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
Winni-Retired (07-13-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
Juiced06GTO

Interesting, thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 06:33 AM   #6
Billy Bob

Why not just call the Realtor and get the facts , disclosure etc.
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #7
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Check the Moultonborough GIS tax maps and there is a 10.04 acre lot on Fox Hollow with frontage on Lees Mills section of the lake. Ownership is shown as James and Margaret Maynard. Interesting part of lake at very close to the end of Fox Hollow. Not sure of water depth since it is tucked in away from the channel.
That's the one.
Here is the GIS map showing the location:
Attached Images

Descant (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #8
thinkxingu

That's in Lee's Mills. Looks like the driveway may be a ROW rather than coming off Fox Hollow? I'd also be interested in the conservation land quality and what it would take to get to building site to water.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
That's in Lee's Mills. Looks like the driveway may be a ROW rather than coming off Fox Hollow? I'd also be interested in the conservation land quality and what it would take to get to building site to water.

I would think that it would be a ROW off Fox Hollow Rd.
I wouldn't take that piece of land if they offered it to me for free.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I would think that it would be a ROW off Fox Hollow Rd.
I wouldn't take that piece of land if they offered it to me for free.
Why? Mucky?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #11
sluggo

That water front is shallow and mucky and it mostly protected wetlands. I have walked that property before and I agree if it was for free I would walk away from it.
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sluggo For This Useful Post:
tis (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
codeman671

Lets face it, after 3+ years on the market at that low price someone would have grabbed it long ago and "Mc-Mansion'd" it already if it was a decent plot with lake frontage
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Donation?

Is there a conservation group that would take it? I know some don't have the manpower to manage small parcels.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:45 AM   #14
kawishiwi

Default Already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Is there a conservation group that would take it? I know some don't have the manpower to manage small parcels.
Sounds like it is already effectively being conserved in it not being used & possibly not usable. Maybe the seller will donate it for a tax deduction and get it formally protected.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #15
Lakeflier

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Lets face it, after 3+ years on the market at that low price someone would have grabbed it long ago and "Mc-Mansion'd" it already if it was a decent plot with lake frontage

Last summer we took a look at it from the water. The area is very peaceful as water is shallow, unsuitable for fast boat traffic, and navigation is tricky . We were able get to the dock with our pontoon boat with last summer’s high water. House and lot are lovely. So what’s the problem? The lot does not have access to a public road, so a right of way would have to be negotiated if road access were needed. It’s like an island property with difficult to impossible water access.
Lakeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #16
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeflier View Post
Last summer we took a look at it from the water. The area is very peaceful as water is shallow, unsuitable for fast boat traffic, and navigation is tricky . We were able get to the dock with our pontoon boat with last summer’s high water. House and lot are lovely. So what’s the problem? The lot does not have access to a public road, so a right of way would have to be negotiated if road access were needed. It’s like an island property with difficult to impossible water access.
So there's not even a ROW at present? Ca-razy asking price for that sitch.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #17
Descant

Default Row?

The map posted earlier looks like it has a ROW, but certainly not very wide. There are old subdivided lots that have only 10' ROW. Very rare for a planning Board to allow subdivision of a lot that creates a landlocked parcel.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #18
loonguy

Quote:
You must have been looking at a neighboring home. There is no house on the lot, only a septic system. There are limited options to build a house and a well would be needed. There is a shared driveway to Fox Hollow Road.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #19
Lakeflier

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
You must have been looking at a neighboring home. There is no house on the lot, only a septic system. There are limited options to build a house and a well would be needed. There is a shared driveway to Fox Hollow Road.

I think this is a different property very near the one we saw, which did have a nearly finished house. I can’t find that listing now. This one is listed as pending per Realtor.com, so someone has plans for it.
Lakeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:42 AM   #20
loonguy

Quote:
I think this is a different property very near the one we saw, which did have a nearly finished house. I can’t find that listing now. This one is listed as pending per Realtor.com, so someone has plans for it.
It will be interesting to see if the sale closes. The property presumably shows best this time of year because the wetlands are frozen and walkable.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #21
loonguy

The sale closed for $255,000; see https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_26043108/
Old 04-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #22
Juiced06GTO

It wasn't me! lol
Old 06-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #23
loonguy

The word is the people who bought the property are logging it and might build a home there in a couple of years.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #24
ApS

Unhappy Well, There Goes T H A T Theory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Sounds like it is already effectively being conserved in it not being used & possibly not usable. Maybe the seller will donate it for a tax deduction and get it formally protected.
Then...

Quote:
The word is the people who bought the property are logging it and might build a home there in a couple of years.
"To save the forest, we had to log it".

>
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #25
loonguy

It appears from the maps that about half the property is protected conservation land, which would leave about five acres that could be legally logged. The forests in the neighborhood include mostly hemlock, pine, oak, birch and a few maples. How much of the purchase price for this property might be recouped from logging it, and would the logging increase or decrease the value of the property from a home site marketing perspective?
Old 06-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #26
Kerk

Default Land !

It sounds like Land I looked at 40 years ago !! I checked it out by water after having it showed to me !! Glad I passed on it and wound up On Cow Island With Raw land . I cleared it and moved on to it starting with A tent on a platform. The rest is History and Family is still there !!
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #27
Descant

Quote:
It appears from the maps that about half the property is protected conservation land, which would leave about five acres that could be legally logged...
"Conservation" easements do not always prevent logging. And logging doesn't mean clear cut. Most tree farms are in conservation areas. Proper management promotes a healthy forest. Go ahead and print this. Foresters will grow another tree for you.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:14 PM   #28
loonguy

So logging likely would increase the value as a home site assuming it improved the view? Would permits be necessary to log a conservation area?
Old 06-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #29
Top-Water

Correct answer below, but see above for full text. If the logging promotes a healthy forest overall there is usually no problems. Lots of time people think that if something is a "conservation area" that absolutely nothing can ever happen there ever. Not true, from experiences in my home town. Much depends on how the land entered conservation. Sometimes the land gets entered into conservation by a trade for lack of a better term, and the owner retains owner ship but its use is generally governed by a committee. It all depends on how the agreement is written. Some times it's done for for local town tax purposes. Without knowing what the actual agreement may or may not stipulate you can't assume anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
"Conservation" easements do not always prevent logging.

Last edited by Top-Water; 06-16-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:49 AM   #30
loonguy

Thanks, Top-Water. Perhaps "conservation land" is not the correct term here. The maps appear to show much of the property as wetlands. What restrictions apply to wetlands, in general, and wetlands adjacent to the lake, in particular? Do the same setback and permit requirements that apply to land adjacent to the lake apply to land adjacent to such wetlands? What approvals are necessary to cut trees close to the lake or tees in, or close to, wetlands?
Old 06-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #31
Descant

Quote:
Thanks, Top-Water. Perhaps "conservation land" is not the correct term here. The maps appear to show much of the property as wetlands. What restrictions apply to wetlands, in general, and wetlands adjacent to the lake, in particular? Do the same setback and permit requirements that apply to land adjacent to the lake apply to land adjacent to such wetlands? What approvals are necessary to cut trees close to the lake or tees in, or close to, wetlands?
This can be complicated. Each question begs another question. Generally, the Shoreland Water Quality Protection laws lay out what you can do in the first fifty feet back from shore and then the first 250 feet. There are points and grids with allowances for types and sizes of forest or landscaping. There are references to "Best Management Practices" which is another set of guidelines. In wetlands, there are BMP's for access, crossings, etc. In many towns there are local ordinances refgarding setbacks and wetlands protection. These are usually monitored by the local conservation commission. In any event, you usually have to file an "Intent to Cut" form and pay the related timber tax in advance. Usually the town forester will monitor the harvest to see that BMP's are followed and to be sure that the estimated cut and the related tax are accurate.
FAQ's are on the NHDES website, including getting a permit to log in a wetland.
https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...gories/faq.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
loonguy (06-17-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #32
hemlock

Default Nasty scar in a pristine area

All I can say is Wow. They must be trying to get a view of the Loon nest at the Marcus loon sanctuary. Heavy equipment is banging away as of today making the scar bigger. I wonder what the newly hatched loon will think of the new neighbors. Saturday is probably a good day to do this kind of work as Code enforcement probably works weekdays.
hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #33
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
... Saturday is probably a good day to do this kind of work as Code enforcement probably works weekdays.
The local Conservation Commissions usually weigh in before DES issues a permit. As local residents (and volunteers, thank you), they are around every day. The CC would notify DES of infractions, and a cease and desist order would follow, and perhaps a remediation order, if necessary. Mostly, the folks operating equipment are knowledgeable on the rules. They often appear before boards and Commissions during the application process.