Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
dave603

Default N.H. House Approves Further Study of Rules for Inland Docks

http://nhpr.org/post/nh-house-approv...s-inland-docks
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Took me a while to find it and correct me if I'm wrong but this is the proposed change they are embarking to study the impacts of (as written)

• Private Docking Structures; Commercial Docking Structures, Public Docking Structures, Docking Structures At Marinas - Establish standard of 100 SF of dock per 25 LF of frontage with 900 SF maximum and 200 SF minimum

The entirety of proposed changes can be found here:

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...es-summary.pdf
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
Onshore

Both of these efforts are necessary and probably a bit overdue but they are not dependent upon one another. The Wetlands Rules rewrite is an internal effort by the Department of Environmental Services to restructure and overhaul the rules effects application submittal requirements, project design standards, and approval criteria and conditions. The current document has been a long time coming and is the product of hundreds of meetings with various stakeholder groups. It is important that everyone understand that this document in just another step in the public input gathering process. This is the first time that people can see the restructured document and the types of changes that the Department is willing to make. This is not intended to be the start of the official rulemaking process. The Department is not wedded to all of the design criteria and ideas being put forward. we are investigating the possibilities. Please if any of you have the time read through the new Chapter Env-Wt 500 sections. This is where you will find the new design and approval criteria laid out by project type for shoreline structure projects. This draft puts forward some tremendous changes to what types of structures could be constructed and the way they would be evaluated. Case in point, the existing rules do not allow the construction of decks as sitting areas near the waters edge but one can construct a beach. the new proposal allows the constructions of either provided the size limits for the overall impact area are met. So please if you can, read this proposal and let us know the comment processes provided what you think are good ideas or bad ones. If you have ideas you want to suggest as better that what we have put forward, please contribute.

As for the Study Committee legislation recently approved by the NH House, this committee will be charged with looking at the broader issue of how the State manages its public trust natural resources on behalf of the general public. Hopefully this committee will provide some guidance about issues such as whether the State wants to continue with its current permitting process or switch to something completely different, how competing stakeholder groups interests should be weighed in the decision making process, and other such matters that should really be viewed from a more broad public policy standpoint.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
Barney Bear

Default Very Heldul Message

Thank you, shore things, for your comprehensive explanation. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Echo the thanks for the comprehensive answer, Shore Things. I would expect decks in the SWQPA would be problematic compared to a perched beach. The deck, (or an area covered with pavers?) would be an impervious surface perhaps contributing to storm water run-off problems. I'm not sure I see how that discussion fits in with docks.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Onshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Echo the thanks for the comprehensive answer, Shore Things. I would expect decks in the SWQPA would be problematic compared to a perched beach. The deck, (or an area covered with pavers?) would be an impervious surface perhaps contributing to storm water run-off problems. I'm not sure I see how that discussion fits in with docks.
But a deck requires no excavation and rainwater that runs from a deck immediately adjacent to the water should not contribute any contaminants to that water. Beaches are a source of sand which fills in boat slips and contributes phosphorous. On the other hand, while the water from the deck may not carry contaminants it reaches the lake more quickly and contributes to increased storm water volume even if only a little. And people may use chemicals to treat those decks and those chemicals may spill into the lake. There are arguments that can be made for and against most things. We are willing to consider different options should be available.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote