Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Next week favorable for snow

Next week the jet stream should set up to give us plenty of cold and several chances for snow. It's setting up so that low pressure systems will develop and ride the dip south and then back up to the northeast carrying moisture. Cold won't be an issue so the chances are good for snow storms starting next week!

The powers to be in NJ/NY will be watching this closely as it could impact the Super Bowl. Myself, I hope it's a blizzard Super Bowl Sunday!
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
ghfromaltonbay

Default Feb 2 Superbowl

Snow for Superbowl Sunday would be interesting. I live about 15 minutes from the stadium and the 8 or 9 inches of snow we've had are all gone. The forecast is showing cold weather by next Tues. or Wed. with the first chance of more snow. The word around here is that the game date may be changed to Saturday 2/1 or Monday 2/3 if Sunday is too miserable. Thank goodness I don't have to drive any where near MetLife Stadium that week.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
The word around here is that the game date may be changed to Saturday 2/1 or Monday 2/3 if Sunday is too miserable. .
If Sunday is too miserable, how do they go back to Saturday?
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
Resident 2B

They will use the official NFL "Way-Back Machine"

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

YA! The way back machine takes us back to 1967 Babe Parilli vs. John Brodie! COOL..

The 49's will be at a big disadvantage, they will have to travel to NYC by train!

or maybe.. 1988 and we have Doug Flutie vs. Joe Montana.. wonder what the Vegas line would be on that matchup?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Snow for Superbowl Sunday would be interesting. I live about 15 minutes from the stadium and the 8 or 9 inches of snow we've had are all gone. The forecast is showing cold weather by next Tues. or Wed. with the first chance of more snow. The word around here is that the game date may be changed to Saturday 2/1 or Monday 2/3 if Sunday is too miserable. Thank goodness I don't have to drive any where near MetLife Stadium that week.
Will all of the bridges still be open? Ya never know in Jersey, maybe they need to move the game to Foxboro
mcdude (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
The word around here is that the game date may be changed to Saturday 2/1 or Monday 2/3 if Sunday is too miserable.
In my opinion this will never happen...most of the tickets are sold or given to the big sponsors, these people will fly in Sunday morning/afternoon.. They show up on game day only. The true fans will be tailgating well before the game starts and be around the stadium for a few days before.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
In my opinion this will never happen...most of the tickets are sold or given to the big sponsors, these people will fly in Sunday morning/afternoon.. They show up on game day only. The true fans will be tailgating well before the game starts and be around the stadium for a few days before.
I agree. The big money is in town Saturday and Sunday and the logistics of delaying this game would be insane. There's NO tailgating, NO taxi's or limo drop off. You can't walk to the stadium either. You can take a charter bus called the Fan Express which will cost $51 and pick up and drop off passengers at nine locations around the region. If it snows, and the forcast is saying it very well could, getting to and from the stadium will be a nightmare.
Going to enjoy the chaos, and hopefully another SB for the Pats, from my couch!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
ghfromaltonbay

Default Game day change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
The local news mentioned that if a heavy snow were "forecast" for Sunday then either Saturday or Monday were possibilities. I too doubt they would move it back to Saturday and would opt for Monday depending on when the heaviest snow was expected to fall. ABC TV showed a crew removing the snow the last time we had the 8" of snow which fell by Saturday morning and they had the place cleared for Sunday's game with plenty of time to spare. As for tailgating, that is verboten for the game. There will be limited parking at the stadium and no limo drop-offs allowed either. Most of the fans are expected to be bused in from New York City and from the various nearby airports and train stations. Newark airport is about 15 minutes away, and the 2 smaller airports in Teterboro (5 minutes away) and Morristown are restricting landings and takeoffs that weekend so that traffic will be staggered from Friday on. Reservations for landings are required. As I said before, I'm glad I will be home and no where near the "festivities". Most of the heaviest snowfalls we've had around here have occurred in February (15" or more), but the record is 26" in early Jan. 1996. Let's hope we don't get any storms like that -- I have an 80' driveway and 50' of sidewalk, and even with a snowblower it's not fun to clean up.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
MeredithMan

Default Farmers Almanac Predicts Big Snowstorm on Superbowl...

This made headlines back in October when they issued their winter forecast....

Farmers’ Almanac Predicts Messy, Stormy Weather for Super Bowl

by Farmers' Almanac Staff | Monday, October 28th, 2013 | From: Press Releases

Lewiston, ME: While the Farmers’ Almanac is no stranger to long-range weather predictions and the attention they often receive, there’s one stormy prediction that’s gaining even more attention than expected. The editors of the Farmers’ Almanac didn’t realize how the Almanac’s outlook for a messy, stormy Super Bowl would create such a buzz. “Usually the big questions are how cold will this winter be,” shares Pete Geiger, Editor, Philom, “or will we have a white Christmas?” But since Super Bowl XLVIII is being played in its first cold weather site, all eyes are on what Old Man Winter may bring and what the venerable Farmers’ Almanac is predicting.

The Farmers’ Almanac’s official forecast for February 1st -3rd states “Intense storm, heavy rain, snow, strong winds. This could seriously impact Super Bowl XLVIII on Feb. 2.” The Almanac goes on to say that the first ten days of February in the Northeast region of the US could be quite volatile and especially turbulent.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
ghfromaltonbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
The Farmers’ Almanac’s official forecast for February 1st -3rd states “Intense storm, heavy rain, snow, strong winds. This could seriously impact Super Bowl XLVIII on Feb. 2.” The Almanac goes on to say that the first ten days of February in the Northeast region of the US could be quite volatile and especially turbulent.
I recall that back in February 1978 we had 2 blizzards (12+ inches of snow each time) during the first 10 days of February. We were sent home early from work both times, and my normal 45 minute commute took nearly 3 hours each time. Thank goodness I had an Audi with front wheel drive at the time. February seems to be the most likely month for heavy snow here in northern NJ.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
This made headlines back in October when they issued their winter forecast....

Farmers’ Almanac Predicts Messy, Stormy Weather for Super Bowl

by Farmers' Almanac Staff | Monday, October 28th, 2013 | From: Press Releases

Lewiston, ME: While the Farmers’ Almanac is no stranger to long-range weather predictions and the attention they often receive, there’s one stormy prediction that’s gaining even more attention than expected. The editors of the Farmers’ Almanac didn’t realize how the Almanac’s outlook for a messy, stormy Super Bowl would create such a buzz. “Usually the big questions are how cold will this winter be,” shares Pete Geiger, Editor, Philom, “or will we have a white Christmas?” But since Super Bowl XLVIII is being played in its first cold weather site, all eyes are on what Old Man Winter may bring and what the venerable Farmers’ Almanac is predicting.

Predicting messy, stormy weather in the northeastern US at the beginning of February. I'm shocked I tell you! Shocked!!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
Resident 2B

My opinion is we are entering a period that could last more than two weeks where we will see few, if any, real storms. The air mass that looks to be in control will be cold, but also very dry. I think the storms will be pushed too far off the coast to bring us anything to talk about.

The only 'fly-in-the-ointment' I see is the Super Bowl being played on Ground Hog Day. I simply cannot believe the NFL attempting to steal the Ground Hog's spotlight on the most important weather forecasting day of the year. That could really upset Mother Nature and if it does, all bets for a rather uneventful period are off! Perhaps a suprise Super Bowl Blizzard with little or no notice?

R2B
Old 01-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
PaugusBayFireFighter

The local weather stations are quietly talking about the possibility of 1-3" here tomorrow. My prediction is when it's all said and done some places around the lake could have 6+ inches. These are the type of little systems that will be hit or miss over the next couple weeks. This one was a miss this morning... but it's starting to look like a hit for us now.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #15
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
The local weather stations are quietly talking about the possibility of 1-3" here tomorrow. My prediction is when it's all said and done some places around the lake could have 6+ inches. These are the type of little systems that will be hit or miss over the next couple weeks. This one was a miss this morning... but it's starting to look like a hit for us now.
I am starting to think we could get more than the forecast tomorrow. After that, I do not see much. I hope we get 6" to help the sled on the ice.

R2B