Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
Newbiesaukee

Default Shep Brown’s

Although there is an old thread regarding Shep Brown’s sale to Goodhue and another about service at Goodhue in Wolfeboro, I’m starting this one with regard to a recent purchase at Shep Brown’s.

We sold our 2001 Sea Ray 230...I love the Lake but just got tired of dealing with minor hassles. Additionally, our summer trip this year was canceled and we got a full refund on it including air fare. Anyway....my wife decided we “needed” a small boat just to putter around the islands. I was thinking Jon boat with 8 hp but “we” decided if she did all the research, she could buy whatever ( within reason) she wanted. After research, she “wanted” a 2020 Whaler Supersport 130. Well, it is small. The boat market is overheated and she couldn’t find one. Shep Brown had one but someone had put a deposit on it. A week later Shep called as the deal fell through so my wife bought it.

They were easy ( for her) to deal with, they had to add some options and we wanted it delivered to us; so we basically did a no contact purchase and the boat was delivered in a week as promised.

Of course, buying is the easy part and we have had no problems with it so far. But it is fun to drive and Shep’s made the experience easy. The jury is still out, but that is always the case.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Senior Chief (07-20-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
fatlazyless

The Tohatsu M40D2 is a 40-hp two stroke outboard that weighs 159 lbs and works with a steering wheel and remote throttle.

Assume your new 13' Boston Whaler has a 40-hp Mercury four-stroke. How much does the new outboard motor weigh?
Old 07-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The Tohatsu M40D2 is a 40-hp two stroke outboard that weighs 159 lbs and works with a steering wheel and remote throttle.

Assume your new 13' Boston Whaler has a 40-hp Mercury four-stroke. How much does the new outboard motor weigh?
They usually equip those with the 40 HP three cylinder which weighs 204lbs.

Sheps does sell a lot of 130 whalers with 25HP motors to make them useable for those w/o a boat license.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Although there is an old thread regarding Shep Brown’s sale to Goodhue and another about service at Goodhue in Wolfeboro, I’m starting this one with regard to a recent purchase at Shep Brown’s.

We sold our 2001 Sea Ray 230...I love the Lake but just got tired of dealing with minor hassles. Additionally, our summer trip this year was canceled and we got a full refund on it including air fare. Anyway....my wife decided we “needed” a small boat just to putter around the islands. I was thinking Jon boat with 8 hp but “we” decided if she did all the research, she could buy whatever ( within reason) she wanted. After research, she “wanted” a 2020 Whaler Supersport 130. Well, it is small. The boat market is overheated and she couldn’t find one. Shep Brown had one but someone had put a deposit on it. A week later Shep called as the deal fell through so my wife bought it.

They were easy ( for her) to deal with, they had to add some options and we wanted it delivered to us; so we basically did a no contact purchase and the boat was delivered in a week as promised.

Of course, buying is the easy part and we have had no problems with it so far. But it is fun to drive and Shep’s made the experience easy. The jury is still out, but that is always the case.
That's a great choice in a small boat!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,499 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
They usually equip those with the 40 HP three cylinder which weighs 204lbs.

Sheps does sell a lot of 130 whalers with 25HP motors to make them useable for those w/o a boat license.
The 130 25 hp package is perfect for island kids under 16, but usually very knowledgeable, who have to wait a couple of years to get a certificate.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The 130 25 hp package is perfect for island kids under 16, but usually very knowledgeable, who have to wait a couple of years to get a certificate.
Yeah I heard humor that Shep's is the #1 seller of that 130SS w\25HP package in the entire country.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Every time I see one, it always looks like the motor is too big, too much weight, for the boat? At 204-lbs, that's about 100-lbs less than I was expecting and is a good low weight for a boat like that.

........ the small boat expert, here!
Old 07-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
MAXUM

Quote:
Every time I see one, it always looks like the motor is too big, too much weight, for the boat? At 204-lbs, that's about 100-lbs less than I was expecting and is a good low weight for a boat like that.

........ the small boat expert, here!
When the 4 strokes first came out I agree they were big and heavy, but like anything else, technology and engineering has resulted in size and more so weight reductions. Couple that with significantly increasing the fuel efficiency while cutting emissions.

With Evinrude ceasing production of outboard motors that doesn't leave many options for those that still want a 2 stroke.

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/our-e...customers.html
Old 07-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #9
fatlazyless

www.outboardrepower.net in Laconia is a Tohatsu Dealer so's maybe it has or can get the Tohatsu two-strokes?

Tohatsu, made in Japan, is like the biggest selling outboard in the world, or something, and Evinrude size 15-hp and smaller was made by Tohatsu.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #10
Newbiesaukee

Ours does have a 25 hp. Works for us. Unfortunately, at this moment I am at Sheps with a leak in the gas tank. Easy to get them on the phone. Will give follow up. I do have a boating certificate.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
When the 4 strokes first came out I agree they were big and heavy, but like anything else, technology and engineering has resulted in size and more so weight reductions. Couple that with significantly increasing the fuel efficiency while cutting emissions.
Very true as I am in the middle of a re-power now going from an Evinrude etec two stroke to a Merc Pro XS Command Thrust 4 stroke of the same Horsepower and the Merc is 20 lbs lighter!!

Dan
Old 07-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #12
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Very true as I am in the middle of a re-power now going from an Evinrude etec two stroke to a Merc Pro XS Command Thrust 4 stroke of the same Horsepower and the Merc is 20 lbs lighter!!

Dan
You're going to love that motor and having the command thrust gear box is a brilliant design by Mercury, well worth the small bump in price. You're going to feel like you added HP with that CT setup even though you didn't. Nice choice!
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #13
Newbiesaukee

Long story short...crack in part of the portable gas tank. Fortunately, Shep’s had a new tank and Ron fixed me up and I am on my way. Problem solved.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:47 PM   #14
Lakeboater

Quote:

Dan
Dan, curious why the switch?
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
www.outboardrepower.net in Laconia is a Tohatsu Dealer so's maybe it has or can get the Tohatsu two-strokes?

Tohatsu, made in Japan, is like the biggest selling outboard in the world, or something, and Evinrude size 15-hp and smaller was made by Tohatsu.
Repower shop is where I bought my paddle boat.....also deals in Lehr propane motors.
Have a 5hp that runs off a 20lb propane tank or the small bottles for your grille.Great engine and "0" maintenance
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:12 AM   #16
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
Dan, curious why the switch?
Good question!...The Etec is now 12 years old and has been 100% trouble free. It has simply been a great motor! It is however 12 years old and on our main island boat. We live on the island 24/7 and commute back and forth to work 3-4 days a week. If the motor was to go down for any reason I would most likely be waiting 3 weeks to a month or longer to get a re-power done and being without the boat for that long would be an extreme inconvenience.

Also, as you probably know, the Etec is no longer being manufactured so I will assume parts will start drying up eventually and servicing will most likely become an issue. There is only one Etec dealer / service center on the lake (Thurston's) and while they have been fantastic to me over the years I'm sure they are going to start selling and servicing another brand and will eventually phase out Evinrude servicing.

So for the reasons stated above, I figured now was a good time...

As an fyi...I sold the Etec in 20 minutes on facebook marketplace for about 1/3rd the price of the new motor and had half dozen people in line who also wanted it. I honestly could not believe the interest in it! Not sure if its because they are no longer making them or people wanted it for parts or what but I had over 40 inquiries and 6 full price immediate sale offers. I guess I should have asked more money for it!!

Dan
Hillcountry (07-17-2020), Lakeboater (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #17
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Any interest?

1973- 13' Whaler Sport/40hp- w/galvy trailer. Boat/motor original- trailer 2000. Two owners only.

Probably would help if interested buyer was mechanical- boat and motor ran fine last time used- TLC would be an obvious requirement to bringing this gem back to use.

PM me.
Attached Images

JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #18
MAXUM

Quote:

Yamaha is the best selling on a global scale.

Suzuki, Mercury, Honda and Evinrude round out the top 5.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #19
DesertDweller

JEEPONLY,

Put an add on Craigslist. Probably will sell in a week. Sold mine (1986) in literally three days.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:13 PM   #20
chasedawg

Quote:
Yamaha is the best selling on a global scale.

Suzuki, Mercury, Honda and Evinrude round out the top 5.
Really...? Where are you getting that Yamaha is the best selling on a global scale facts from. I have been told by dealers of Yamaha and Mercury that Mercury is by far has a huge marketshare over all brands. This comes from Winnisqam Marine and others. I don't know myself but am very curious where you got this information.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:24 AM   #21
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Really...? Where are you getting that Yamaha is the best selling on a global scale facts from. I have been told by dealers of Yamaha and Mercury that Mercury is by far has a huge marketshare over all brands. This comes from Winnisqam Marine and others. I don't know myself but am very curious where you got this information.
Pretty sure Maxum is correct. Yamaha I believe holds 40% of the market share globally on outboards. Don’t remember where I read that but am positive I did.

Dan
Old 07-18-2020, 05:15 AM   #22
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Pretty sure Maxum is correct. Yamaha I believe holds 40% of the market share globally on outboards. Don’t remember where I read that but am positive I did.

Dan
Here you go: https://www.asia-pacificboating.com/...tboard-engines

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-18-2020), TheTimeTraveler (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 06:36 AM   #23
WinnisquamZ

Thinking the marina may get higher kickback for selling a Merc over Yamaha

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:29 AM   #24
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I think worldwide they have market share but in the US I think Mercury is the leader.

Last edited by Biggd; 07-18-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:55 AM   #25
fatlazyless

Tohatsu is the biggest seller in Japan is what I should have said ..... not the world ..... plus is popular with ocean pirates from Somalia for chasing down passing freighters ...... 20-miles out in the sea.

They use a 75-hp Tohatsu tiller handle two-stroke on an all wood 20' skiff and roar out the waves to catch a slow moving freighter.

Tohatsu could make an ad with a pirate endorsing their motor ....... arrgghhh ..... Tohatsu!
Old 07-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #26
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Where I travel to Mexico, a huge fishing village, Mercury doesn't exist. Yamaha is everywhere/ The locals tell me that Yamaha is the only motor they'll ever use. No Mercury mechanic anywhere around.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #27
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Where I travel to Mexico, a huge fishing village, Mercury doesn't exist. Yamaha is everywhere/ The locals tell me that Yamaha is the only motor they'll ever use. No Mercury mechanic anywhere around.
Yeah, but...they also built the Adobe. http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...eo/adobe/n9492

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #28
DesertDweller

My experience is that I will see mainly Yamaha's in the coastal/salt water areas. Where I grew boating in New Jersey it was mainly Johnson/Evinrude back in the day and now they are Yamaha's. In fresh water, I see a lot of Mercury's. Mercury/Brunswick has gained a lot of their market share by buying boat companies.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #29
garysanfran

This is in Barra de Navidad, Jalisco
Attached Images

garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #30
jazzman

We bought the new BW SS 160 with the 90 up Merc. She flys. We ended up not doing Shep Browns because all they had was the one with the ugly brown hull stripe and they did want $500 more than the already over priced whaler dealer installed options to install them. I am worried about the gas tanks. They bloat in the heat and contract when it cools down.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:02 PM   #31
DesertDweller

Jazzman, don't worry about those portable plastic tanks. Completely understand your concerns but they generally last a long time.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:36 AM   #32
Newbiesaukee

Except for the one I described above which was defective, portable gas tanks have a variety of safety features that the last one I had 35 years ago did not have.