Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Exclamation ..... phony-baloney?

In today's mail got what very much seems to me to be a fraudulent, phony-baloney notice from my local bank(a fraud) concerning my credit card pin number.

This has got to be a fraud scam to steal the money out of my account.

For one thing, it is highly unlikely, my bank, the largest local bank in the lakes regions would send a notice like this. It is an 8 1/2" x 11" very plain white with black lettered notice, folded in thirds, looks like the real deal, supposedly notifying me that my pin number has been changed, and shows the new pin number.

It also shows the 16-digit credit card number as xxxxxxxxxxxx4598, which is not my number ...... probably just a made up number ..... looking to steal.

Return address: 82 Wolfeboro Highway, Alton NH 03809; first class mail

Has anyone else received a similar mailed notice?

Why I put this in boating ..... because someone is "phishing" for dollars ..... ho-ho-ho ...... no, not really, should have put it in general ..... oh well?
Old 09-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Top-Water

Don't ignore this letter it could be legitimate especially if it comes from.

George Agdgdgwngo from "Money Removal PLC"

Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
jetskier

Post Phishing is rampant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
In today's mail got what very much seems to me to be a fraudulent, phony-baloney notice from my local bank(a fraud) concerning my credit card pin number.

For one thing, it is highly unlikely, my bank, the largest local bank in the lakes regions would send a notice like this. It is an 8 1/2" x 11" very plain white with black lettered notice, folded in thirds, looks like the real deal, supposedly notifying me that my pin number has been changed, and shows the new pin number.

It also shows the 16-digit credit card number as xxxxxxxxxxxx4598, which is not my number ...... probably just a made up number ..... looking to steal.

Why I put this in boating ..... because someone is "phishing" for dollars ..... ho-ho-ho ...... no, not really, should have put it in general ..... oh well?
This is a classic case of "Phishing" (not fishing). Phishing is when a bad actor tries to get personal information from you by enticing you to provide it. This is completely rampant these days and everyone should be on guard against it. Some of the contemporary classics:
  • A notice from a bank or credit card provider indicating that there is an issue with your account and you need to provide your personal information using the attached link.
  • A notice from ebay or paypal indicating that your account will be shut down unless you refresh your information using the attached link.

There are also the myriad phone scams such as a call from the "IRS" indicating that you will be arrested unless you make an overdue payment now using your credit card. A person indicating that your son/daughter has been in an accident and you need to provide your credit card number to provide help.

Finally, viruses and malware are also extremely problematic. One of the worst is ransomware which will encrypt all the files on your computer and send a demand letter for payment to receive the keys.

Please make sure that your computers have proper security:
  • Active Firewall
  • Virus Protection
  • Malware Protection

Don't ever provide personal information over the phone or based upon an email.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Give it to your PD

Give it to your PD . They can coordinate with USPS.

Going to the Post Office will probably get you nowhere.

Dave

PS The address is between the NW end of the Alton Circle and the traffic lights at the entrance into Hannaford's. Nice location and home to many squirrels, who have been the subject of other threads in these forums. Some of the squirrels will be seen with miniature foam noodles that can be used as bumpers to avoid being run over by passing automobiles.
gravy boat (09-13-2018), pondguy (09-13-2018), Prestige Worldwide (09-13-2018), Top-Water (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Don't ever provide personal information over the phone or based upon an email.
1,000 % Correct its a huge problem these days.

Edit
Just after posting.

Windows Tech Support just called minutes ago. Another big scam.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

PS The address is between the NW end of the Alton Circle and the traffic lights at the entrance into Hannaford's. Nice location and home to many squirrels, who have been the subject of other threads in these forums. Some of the squirrels will be seen with miniature foam noodles that can be used as bumpers to avoid being run over by passing automobiles.

Actually, Dave, that is the address for the Alton office of Meredith Village Savings Bank next to Hannaford's.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
jetskier

Post Computer Support Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
1,000 % Correct its a huge problem these days.

Edit
Just after posting.

Windows Tech Support just called minutes ago. Another big scam.
Yes, this is a scam for computer support. Someone calls and says "your computer just indicated that there is a Microsoft Operating System problem, we are Microsoft support." and then they request payment for help.

The last time that I got this call I asked the caller, "OK, what is my IP address?" They said, "North Reading"....Gotcha!

Clearly, this is another scam...your computer is fine, it does not send out distress calls to Microsoft and this person is not in any way affiliated with Microsoft. Don't fall for it!

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #8
Nagigator

Default scams

I get that Microsoft call and tell them I'm really busy right now, give me your number and I'll call you back...Click.
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Actually, Dave, that is the address for the Alton office of Meredith Village Savings Bank next to Hannaford's.
Funny, looking up #82 on Vision Technologies, it says record not found. Looking up #80 defaults to #80-82 Wolfeboro Hwy, of course Bob Bahre's property.

Thanks, McD.

Which now begs the question. FLL, do you have a credit card through MVSB? Maybe a Wal-Mart card administered by MVSB.

Dave
Old 09-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
Rockslider

If you received that notice in the mail, I would suggest calling your bank before you ignore it. My wife works for a bank and was telling me just a week ago about a situation that involved a widespread fraud attempt that was intercepted -- but many customers were issued new ATM cards, and their PINs were sent by mail.

If this notice was sent by email, I would agree with ignoring it -- 99% chance it was fraudulent. But if it was in the mail, there is a chance that it may be legit. You should check with your bank (at their verified number, not one that is on the mailing) so you don't end up needing your ATM card one day and finding out it was frozen.

Of course, if you don't have an ATM card, this is all moot and the letter was a scam...
Rockslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #11
Rusty

Quote:

What is the letter asking you to do? Ho-ho-ho and let us know.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Keep in mind that ID theft is a huge problem, in fact while that CC number may not be one you recognize there is nothing saying somebody could have stolen your identity (OMG 2 FFLS running around out there ) and opened up accounts in your name.

I'd immediately contact your bank for starters, I'd also run a quick credit check through one of the major online bureaus just to make sure nothing nefarious is going on.

Likely it's just a scam and a ploy to steal your information but you never can be to careful and for GOD's sake don't give your information out to anyone just cause they ask!

Then again if somebody stole your identity and purchased lots of noodles on credit you may have a hard time disputing that charge!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
Mr. V

Quote:
In today's mail got what very much seems to me to be a fraudulent, phony-baloney notice from my local bank(a fraud) concerning my credit card pin number...Return address: 82 Wolfeboro Highway, Alton NH 03809; first class mail
That is the address of the Meredith Village Savings Bank.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:30 AM   #14
TheTimeTraveler

I believe this First Class Post Card mailing is legitimate. Take it to your local Post Office and they will be able to verify it based upon the mailing permit.

If it is Fraud, then they will notify the US Postal Inspectors.

Mail Fraud is a serious Federal crime, and the penalties are far harsher then crimes committed on the computer.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Default ..... sorry about this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
....In today's mail .... looks like the real deal, supposedly....
.... holy smokes ..... I never should have made this post ..... big mistake ..... my bad ..... d'oi! ..... my paranoia just got the better of me ....... because after going to the local bank, I learned the mailed notice was legitimate and there was a good reason why it looked like the real deal ....because it was the real deal.

So, apologies to the bank, which is an excellent, excellent bank and does so much for the lakes region including free coffee in a banker's luxurious paper cup. I should have checked first, before making my original post.

And you know, at the time when I made that post, it really made me feel good, like I was fighting back against a perceived crime or something.

....oopsie-doopsie ...... sorry about this!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-14-2018 at 07:41 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-14-2018), Top-Water (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #16
Top-Water

Thank you for the update.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #17
thebix

Default Best to be careful

Good work FLL. Always wise to be suspicious and check it out directly with the source then assume it's OK and possibly give out personnel info in a phisihing scam.
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #18
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Hard to keep up with all the scams these days.
I have frozen my credit with all three agencies.
Easy to unlock if you need to.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #19
Newbiesaukee

No apology necessary.

In the past 4 days I have received several phone calls telling me I had to call because my SS was being stopped. Also, I had to call about IRS because the police were coming to arrest me. TRUST NO ONE. I am still waiting for my million dollars coming from Nigeria.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #20
Mr. V

Speaking of phone scams, I live on the left coast and about twice a month for the past year at least I've received a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS, telling me they've an arrest warrant for me due to unpaid taxes.

Such a silly scam: what sort of complete idiot would possibly fall prey to it?

I always give their phone number to the FBI's internet scam dept. but the scammers keep trying.

Odd how IRS employees would all speak with an Indian / Pakistani accent.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #21
jetlag100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
No apology necessary.

In the past 4 days I have received several phone calls telling me I had to call because my SS was being stopped. Also, I had to call about IRS because the police were coming to arrest me. TRUST NO ONE. I am still waiting for my million dollars coming from Nigeria.
The Government will never notify you by phone...always mail..you get anything on the phone, hang up..
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:27 AM   #22
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Fake Verizon text

Last evening I received two fake texts from "verizonwirelessantifraud@....."
alerting me that my account had been blocked to avoid fraudulent activity and to click on a link to verify my identity. Oh and the domain for the URL (that I did not click on) was .IN as in India.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote