Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
NHBUOY

Question UFO Sightings Around The Lakes Region...

..I'm a believer. I ask because I just got my "locals discount" on 50 gallons of super for one of the boats at what is supposedly the site of the Hill's "encounter" way back in the '60's, and, when I got home the History channel is describing this very event. I got a couple stories at the lake and in the Lin-Wood area. Tin-foil hats optional....Any brave souls care to share.?.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
jkjoshuatree

Default We Were Convinced Once...

...that a UFO was circling around the Weirs Beach area.

From our porch on Bear Island you could always see the brightness the lights the Weirs boardwalk gave off.

One night we say this strange light circling above the Weirs and it kept circling for well over a half hour.

We finally called the police and they told us it was one of those old-fashioned bi-planes that have scrolling lights that scroll on the top and bottom wings. I guess the plane was advertising something.

The police also told us that they had received dozens of other calls for the same reason...a UFO sighting.

Too bad!!!

Being 11 or 12 I liked the idea of a UFO visiting Winni much better.

Oh well.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
dpg

I don't believe.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I don't believe.
You have to, who do you think planted the idea for windows in Bill Gates' head?
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Kamper

I believe there is intelligent life out there. Sometimes though, Ihave doubts about what's down here.

X
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
olimec (07-25-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Steveo

Default Definately believe

Back in 1969 (I think) my brother and I were looking off our deck and saw an unusual light over Timber Island. This light was doing unusual maneuvers, darting around like a Pong game, it would do circles and then it would just hover. We thought maybe helicopter but then it finally started coming toward us and flew directly over our house...NOT A SOUND! This was in winter with no ambient sound around, dead quiet. The next day there were all sorts of reports of UFO's in the media. I did take a picture of it with time lapse but either I screwed it up or the government got to my pictures before I could pick them up at the photoshop.

True story, it gave me chills when it flew over
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Back in 1969 (I think) my brother and I were looking off our deck and saw an unusual light over Timber Island. This light was doing unusual maneuvers, darting around like a Pong game, it would do circles and then it would just hover. We thought maybe helicopter but then it finally started coming toward us and flew directly over our house...NOT A SOUND! This was in winter with no ambient sound around, dead quiet. The next day there were all sorts of reports of UFO's in the media. I did take a picture of it with time lapse but either I screwed it up or the government got to my pictures before I could pick them up at the photoshop.

True story, it gave me chills when it flew over
Cool story. I love the speculation, mystery and intrigue around UFOs. There are a lot of places where you can see big expanses of sky in the region so I am looking forward to getting up to speed on my astronomy and keeping my eye on the night sky when I move up.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
jrc

I believe there are objects flying around that some people can't identify at the time.

I don't believe there are aliens in spaceships flying anywhere near the earth.

Anyone with any understanding science and of the vastness of space, knows that if life exists on another planet (it might), the chances of them having the technology to find us and travel here are zero.

Once science proved the lack of intelligent life beyond the earth but in this solar system (Mars, Venus etc) The chances of any of us meeting an extraterrestrial vanished.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
Argie's Wife

Default Yip... Yip...Yip, Yip, Yip.... brrrr-ring!

Yes, they exist and explain where Hendrix, Morrison, and Joplin ended up...

We've also discussed this on this forum before:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=9780
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default not in the lakes region but...

...when I was in the Air Force stationed at Eieleson AFB AK, 26 miles SE of Fairbanks, I was working a midnight to 8 AM shift one night, and the weather observer, who's site was at the SE end of the runway, called me and asked if I saw a group of lights south of the base towards the Alaska Range. I looked and saw what he was describing, and it looked like an airplane with red and green lights, plus a white light. It however was not moving like an airplane would move, but rather flew left and right and up and down in rather jerky type movements.

We realized that we were talking about a possible UFO over a recorded line, so the WO called me on my inside line, which was not recorded and we continued to talk for almost an hour. As quickly as it appeared to him, it disappeared for both of us after about an hour. Even asked the FAA controllers if they had an airplane working South of the base and they said no. The checked with Fairbanks center with negative results.

After we got off work, we met at the chow hall for breakfast, and decided that rather than end up at a "padded cell motel", we would just keep the sighting to ourselves, or at least not report it to the Base powers what be.

Seen strange things since then, have yet to be transported up by any of them, so I guess for me, there is still not definite answer.

Love to hear the stories, though. Back to your regular scheduled Lakes Region UFO program.
NHBUOY (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
gravy boat

Default Believer

Saw one with my brother years ago. S
south side of lake, We were facing NNE/N. Difficult to describe.

We talked about for a few days and forgot until years later when he asked me if I remembered. Came back pretty vivdly, 20 plus years later. No abduction. No little green men. Just odd lights moving at speeds impossible by man at that time. Military? Could have been. But I have not seen anything since that comes close to the speed ... From silent and still to gone in less than 2 seconds. All of these years later...not seen anything developed by man that compares. Could Have been manmade. But if it was then kudos to those able to keep that technology under wraps for so long.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
NHBUOY (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
trfour

Default Oh Yes, Right Here

In The Lakes Region! Now, UFOs much prefer to stay out of sight, however... Some of us caught a few right on camera as we were out and about. I shot a picture up on Black Snout Lookout, ( got some )... and also right down close in here on Paugus Bay, one evening. When I found the image on my cameras disk, at first I thaught that BurgerKing had sent out some flyers???? Take a look see. What do you think?
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=6841

You can see the saucer shaped objects, ( upper left ) in my photo from Black Snout in this photo!...
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo....php?photo=533

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #13
windham17

Interesting topic, great to see everyones stories both on the lake and beyond. Thought I saw one when I was a young child, but so young really can't trust the memory. I'm not sure anyone knows what the universe has for life but is fun to speculate.
windham17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Happy Gourmand

I find it hard to believe that other forms of life don't exist somewhere out there in this vast universe. I've seen a few really strange things in my 60+ years...not sure they were alien vehicles, but then again, not sure they weren't.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
GFP (07-16-2011), jkjoshuatree (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
Greene's Basin Girl

In the late 60's there were a couple unusual events. One evening we were at our lake house in Moultonborough when my mother and I saw a bright light darting through the woods. The light was somewhat larger then a a headlight. It was going between the trees and then it darted away. A few weeks later a friend of mine was heading back on his motorcycle from his cottage in Moultonborough. He was traveling to Bow on Route 93 south. Suddenly he noticed a bright light following behind him. It was the same size as the light I had seen. It just looked like a ball of light freely moving in the night. Who knows what it was, but my 90 year mother and I still talk about the free standing light.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #16
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
Saw one with my brother years ago. S
south side of lake, We were facing NNE/N. Difficult to describe.

We talked about for a few days and forgot until years later when he asked me if I remembered. Came back pretty vivdly, 20 plus years later. No abduction. No little green men. Just odd lights moving at speeds impossible by man at that time. Military? Could have been. But I have not seen anything since that comes close to the speed ... From silent and still to gone in less than 2 seconds. All of these years later...not seen anything developed by man that compares. Could Have been manmade. But if it was then kudos to those able to keep that technology under wraps for so long.

GB
Indeed, meine schwester.

see prior threads on topic ...

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...archid=2177220
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #17
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
See prior threads on topic ...
Sorry, the link didn't work when I pasted it in.

Search "unidentified flying objects" for the two threads in Oct. 2005.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Hey Trfour, those, as I'm sure you know, are lens flares.

But I've seen this same thing twice in the past couple of years. About 3 years ago we were headed north at night on 93 just before exit 23. Saw what appeared to be a series of fireballs maybe 3 thousand feet up. One would arc up a short distance then fall and burn out, then a second one would appear a short distance ahead of the first, and the sequence continued for multiple repetitions over the course of a couple of minutes.

Saw the same thing again 2 years ago coming down Moultonborough Neck Road in the daylight. Again, the same repeating balls of light.

It was probably a military aircraft practicing releasing decoy flares used to fool infrared tracking missiles. But it sure looked spooky!
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
Rattlesnake Guy

Default UFOs in NH

When RG and I moved to our house up on a hill 17 years ago, we were confused by the UFOs we would sometimes see hovering in a vertical stack and slowly falling to be replaced with a new one on top.

It took us a while to figure out that what we were seeing were planes landing at Logan. The landing lights were pointed right at us 40 miles away and the stacked up planes looked like a vertical array of lights that slowly descended to the ground.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #20
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Great night to watch the sky tonight.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:55 PM   #21
kauriel

Did anyone else see the orange fireball in the sky Sat night around 10:30ish? We were dining outside at Weirs Beach when people started pointing at bright orange ball moving across the sky. Speculation included plane on fire or UFO but I'm guessing maybe it was a satellite or meteor passing by because it appeared to be moving horizontally across sky and then appeared to fade/burn out halfway across sky.

Any other guesses or answers on what this was?
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #22
trfour

Smile Dang, I was Do'in Okay Until You Came Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Prop-B-Gone View Post
Hey Trfour, those, as I'm sure you know, are lens flares.

But I've seen this same thing twice in the past couple of years. About 3 years ago we were headed north at night on 93 just before exit 23. Saw what appeared to be a series of fireballs maybe 3 thousand feet up. One would arc up a short distance then fall and burn out, then a second one would appear a short distance ahead of the first, and the sequence continued for multiple repetitions over the course of a couple of minutes.

Saw the same thing again 2 years ago coming down Moultonborough Neck Road in the daylight. Again, the same repeating balls of light.

It was probably a military aircraft practicing releasing decoy flares used to fool infrared tracking missiles. But it sure looked spooky!
Dear MR. Prop-B-Gone...
Them pictures were within category for this thread. I saw what I saw before I ever got a chance to get my camera out of the holster!

However so funny though, in all of my many enjoyable years boating here on Lake Winnipesaukee, I have yet to hit a rock and/or loose a prop.

So many of us owe a Big thankyou to Bizer, and others, in this regard!
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:29 AM   #23
Formula

Default Ufo?

It was stantionary for hours, then moved out of site!
Not a satellite!
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #24
KDL

I saw what you described last year about this time. Quite a sight. I surmized it was the setting sun reflecting off a high flying plane or satellite.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #25
dpg

People please....Go inside and mix yourself another drink... Just be careful of Bigfoot on the way!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #26
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Today. Front page of the Weirs Times. The whole Hill UFO abduction story with photos at my favorite gas stop in Lincoln. It's a good story...

I now return you to the impending doom of Irene...
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #27
Mirror Lake's BB

Default They're probably out there but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I believe there are objects flying around that some people can't identify at the time.

I don't believe there are aliens in spaceships flying anywhere near the earth.

Anyone with any understanding science and of the vastness of space, knows that if life exists on another planet (it might), the chances of them having the technology to find us and travel here are zero.

Once science proved the lack of intelligent life beyond the earth but in this solar system (Mars, Venus etc) The chances of any of us meeting an extraterrestrial vanished.
I agree with your first two comments; there are UFOs and I don't believe they are alien spaceships.

I believe there is intelligent life out there (notice I didn't say "other intelligent life") but based on the (somewhat theoretical) age of the universe, the spacing of life originating elsewhere would be thousands, maybe tens or hundreds of thousands of years between lives. That being said, they would probably be so less advanced than us that of course they couldn't get here. Or so more advanced than us that they could travel in ways we could never conceive. We can't even conceive what life is going to be like in 100 years; heck, maybe even 50 (landing on the moon 100 years ago, laptops 50 years ago). Anyway, they probably wouldn't even be curious about mankind. Kind of like us and ants; they walk around and don't have the slightest idea what we're about. And us, how much do we really care (I care about all life but you get the picture).

As far as space travel, we are not smart enough and/or technically advanced enough to figure out how to do it and ignorant enough to say that space travel at the rate of a billion light years in a fraction of a second is impossible.

Beam me up Scotty.
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #28
Mirror Lake's BB

Default This is a good, fast, easy start

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Cool story. I love the speculation, mystery and intrigue around UFOs. There are a lot of places where you can see big expanses of sky in the region so I am looking forward to getting up to speed on my astronomy and keeping my eye on the night sky when I move up.
This is interesting. However, pretty big to be a slight inconvenience for traveling but the size makes it easier to see and use. You can find smaller ones but don't seem to be as complete.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Stars-Ke...4367807&sr=8-1
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #29
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default 50th Anniversary

From Todays Boston Globe... The Betty and Barny Hill story

http://www.boston.com/news/local/rho...duction_story/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hakm2DKWIUE