Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
baastan

Default Right of way and crossing streets question?

I have a question in regards to when we as snowmobilers are crossing state highways and streets in designated crossings.

My question is actually a lake winni question at that.

In downtown meredith on route 25 there is a crossing (Lago) that has signage and gives you access to both winni and the marked access trails behind the bank across from winni (into the swamp area near the park 15N). If you were leaving winni and crossing the street and the traffic heading up the hill toward center harbor subsided, then the traffic in the left lane heading toward the traffic light stopped and actually a car backed up to let you through, but then a vehicle in the right lane heading toward the traffic signal was moving at a good pace caused you to hit your brakes and you get clipped by it, is it still your fault? I was traveling very slow thankfully and the vehicle in question certainly had some solar glare in his eyes, but to be honest, this person was not at all apologetic and to be blunt, not nice. I was thankful that my sled took the brunt of it, and this person's $60 bumper end was barely damaged.

I have 20+ years experience and have been up here in Meredith since 2001 and thankfully I always lead when I go out for this exact reason. An inexperienced rider I believe would have been hurt severely or maybe dead. While my reaction time was good, it wasn't enough to avoid the accident altogether. I was happy my son or girlfriend did not have to make a decision on whether the brake or not.

I am an insurance agent and have been for 20+ years, but our rules in Massachusetts differ from other states. That said, all I really was wishing for was someone who was a bit more sympathetic to grand scheme of things and perhaps more thankful it wasn't a worse outcome.
baastan is offline   Reply With Quote