Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Barbara

Default East Side of Winni Animal Lovers

For all you animal lovers who live or are visiting the east side of the lake, are you aware that there is an animal shelter over here too? The Lakes Region Humane Society was originally located in Tuftonboro, but moved to a great new facility a few years ago in Ossippee.

I toured it for the first time a few months ago and was amazed at how wonderful it is. I was astonished to find how they keep their cats. There are a number of "cat rooms" and the cats in each room have the freedom to go into their kennels or lounge around on top of it, on windowsills, play with the toys that are there for them or play with their kitty pals. I've been in many shelters and have never seen this before. The staff are so friendly and welcoming to both visitors and volunteers. They keep the shelter spotless.....no bad smells in there! This is a "no kill" shelter and they have partnered with rescue groups from some southern states who rescue dogs from "kill shelters" and then have volunteers drive them up here where they have a chance to live. I've met some of the sweetest dogs there and visit occasionally just to see how they're doing. They have both inside and outdoor facilities for the dogs, plus a new fenced in play yard.

I guess you can tell I love this place. I lost my dog and cat in the last few years and there's a hole in my heart that visiting this shelter helps fill. I make regular donations in memory of my Jake and Lucy. I have an elderly cat with a number of medical issues which prevents me from adopting another pet. The vet feels the stress of bringing a new animal into the house would not be good for her.

LRHS depends entirely on donations for it's funding. When you donate to the ASPCA or other national animal organizations, I bet you think, like I thought that your local shelter gets some share of funding from that. It doesn't. This shelter as well as the ones in No. Conway and Meredith get nothing from the town, state or other organizations. They do contract with towns for animal control and get paid something for that, but the bulk of the money comes from donations. LRHS, like other shelters is in severe financial difficulty at the present time due to the recession and the drop off in donations.

So, if you're in the area of Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro, Ossippee, Brookfield or Alton and are looking to adopt, volunteer, donate or just vist some neat animals, stop in.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Barbara

Smile

Oops, forgot the web address. It's www.lrhs.net If you're looking for a kitten, you'll fall in love with one when you see the website.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Seeker

That's the way it used to be when it was at Winners Circle Farm. At least it's a lot nearer to me now.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts
Default Just Wondering

Barbara, do you have some financial, employment or any other connection to LRHS?

We have had several newcomers to the forum join just to promote their particular cause and I noticed you just joined in September 2009 and have posted only twice. Your post is an extremely positive review of LHRS.

I'm just wondering if that promotion happens to be the purpose of your post. Nothing bad implied, just curious about your motivation.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Good luck

Best of luck finding homes for those cuties on the website- we are big believers in finding pets through shelters and will look here as well as NH Humane this fall for our family dog

Last edited by VitaBene; 09-08-2009 at 02:24 AM.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Barbara

TILTONBB, I'm just a lover of the LRHS and a proud promoter of it. I am not employed by them, nor do I have a financial interest in them. As a lover of animals and resident of Wolfeboro, I support all the fundraising events of all the local organizations. That's how I first became involved with anything relating to LRHS. As I said in my post, after losing two of my beloved pets, I've found comfort in supporting and visiting the shelter. I've volunteered to help ou at fundraisers and hope to become more involved as a volunteer to help out.

I've been a reader of this forum for quite awhile but not a participant. I enjoy reading the thread devoted to pets and found lots of conversation about the Meredith shelter and all things animal on the other side of the lake. There was no conversation about the Wolfeboro area and that motivated me to make my first post. I wondered if people even knew there was a shelter over here on the quiet side of the lake. I have no evil agenda.....how could helping homeless animals be a bad thing???
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Barbara For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (09-09-2009), Jonas Pilot (09-08-2009), KBoater (09-13-2009), mcdude (09-08-2009), Pontoon Goon (10-03-2009), Rose (09-08-2009), SteveA (09-08-2009), trfour (09-09-2009)
Old 09-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
Argie's Wife

Hi Barbara - welcome to the forum and thank you for the info about the humane society in Ossipee. I can't imagine how hard there job must be in this economy and my hat is off to them for doing such a great job!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
Barbara

Thanks, for the welcome, Argie's Wife. I see you are from Alton. LRHS serves your community too. Spread the word among your friends and neighbors that they should always check with LRHS for missing and lost pets. There was a recent case where a lost dog was at the shelter for quite a while and it's owner was not aware the shelter in Ossippee was where the Alton animal control had bought the dog. Fortunately owner and pet were reunited eventually.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
twoplustwo

Thumbs up Moultonborough folks, it's an easy drive for us, too!

LRHS is where we've gotten a couple of our family members. It's a wonderful place, the-not-so-new-anymore home is truly incredible, and the animals are so loved. We can't say enough good things about them, and will always be proud supporters of the organization.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
Barbara

LRHS is having a fundraiser called the Woofmeister Anual Dog Walk on October 3. There is the dog walk plus all sorts of fun activities and contests for the dogs. If anyone would like more info, let me know.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Lrhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Barbara, do you have some financial, employment or any other connection to LRHS?

We have had several newcomers to the forum join just to promote their particular cause and I noticed you just joined in September 2009 and have posted only twice. Your post is an extremely positive review of LHRS.

I'm just wondering if that promotion happens to be the purpose of your post. Nothing bad implied, just curious about your motivation.
Now I am just wondering - not trying at all to cause trouble.

If Barbara did work for the Lakes Region Humane Society, should we have a problem with that? It is for a great cause - the innocent animals.

Personally, I see this in a much different light than promoting a restaurant/business that you may own or be working at.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Woofeminster Dog Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
LRHS is having a fundraiser called the Woofminster Annual Dog Walk on October 3. There is the dog walk plus all sorts of fun activities and contests for the dogs. If anyone would like more info, let me know.
This event has been on our calendar for months. I'm just wondering why the LRHS doesn't include more details?

Would you be able to post the information here for us? Thanks for your advocacy Barbara! The animals need all the help they can get.

Welcome to the Forum!

RG (The original! )
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
sa meredith

Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Now I am just wondering - not trying at all to cause trouble.

If Barbara did work for the Lakes Region Humane Society, should we have a problem with that? It is for a great cause - the innocent animals.

Personally, I see this in a much different light than promoting a restaurant/business that you may own or be working at.
Don't wonder about such things RG....good, bad, or indifferent.
It leads to very bad things.

Barbara...I too am a huge animal lover, and make frequent stops at the shelter in Laconia to donate food, litter, or a small bit of $$$.
I stopped there last last fall, and was overwhelmed by the amount of cats/kittens there. They were simply everywhere. I posted about it back then, encouraging other to donate.
Anyway...great cause. Welcome to the forum.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
Barbara

Thanks for the warm welcome, Rattlesnake Gal and SA Meredith. For the record, I'm not an employee of LRHS or anywhere else. I'm a retired teacher who moved to Wolfeboro eight years ago and I'm loving being a NON-employee!!! In the last few months I've decided it's time to start giving back to this wonderful community I've grown to love and have decided to do what I can on a volunteer basis for the shelter and I've also become a Hospice volunteer. I hope no one finds anything wrong with my advocating for both of these wonderful organizations.

The official name for the dog walk is the "Barktoberfest Woofe-Minster Walk". It takes place at the Kingswood Athletic Field behind the HS in Wolfeboro. Registration begins at 10:30 AM and the walk begins at 11:30. The walk goes from the field to Morrissey's Front Porch and back. There will be grilled lunch and beverages provided by Morrissey's at the field at 12:30. There will be plenty of water provided for the pups. From 12;30 until 2:30 there will be canine demonstrations, contests and prizes. The contests are for Best Catcher, Most Obedient, Best Dressed, Fastest Tail Wagger, Best Trick and Best Singer. It sounds like a lot of fun.....now we have to pray that the weather cooperates.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
Barbara

Default Dog Walk Cancelled

I had volunteered to work at the LRHS Dog Walk on Sat, Oct. 3 and just learned that it has been cancelled. The weather forecast is bad, including thunderstorms and they don't want to put any participants at risk. I guess they now need even more donations because they won't be getting the $$$$ this event usually generates.