Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
dpg

Default Donating A Boat

How do you donate a boat in NH? Does it require a valid current years registration? Think we have one from maybe 2017 and didn't register it last year. Any ideas who to call and the definite things they'll require? In Moultonborough - Thanks. Oh, also would like it picked up.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #2
fatlazyless

From April to November, the www.pemivalleyhabitat.org/restore.htm in Plymouth always has a couple to three different boats parked in their large parking lot, for sale, which had to be donated. Usually, it's smaller boats, 12-18', like sailboats, canoes, rowboats.

ReStore Plymouth has a large box truck with crew for removing large refrigerators so maybe they could haul a boat away?

In Meredith, the Hearts and Hands Thrift Shop on Maple St, close to AJ's Fishing store, will take your smaller boat, like a sailboat, canoe, rowboat, probably a small motorboat on a trailer. There's a loading zone directly out front, and they/you/volunteers move the boat onto their front grassy lawn there, for display. Hearts and Hands is a thrift affiliated with three local churches.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
Woody38

Make-a-wish foundation would surely appreciate the donation. It is also a worthy cause.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:45 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

The NH Boat Museum in Wolfeboro takes donations of boats. They don't have to be antiques.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:56 AM   #5
dpg

Thanks everyone but guess my biggest question is what will they require upon pickup i.e. a current registration or anything? Do you simply call these places, they swing by take it and it's done? Do you like have to transfer ownership through paperwork or anything? Is it ok if it hasn't been registered for a couple of years. It's a 19 ft I/O probably can't go to a little "thrift shop."
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I think a bill of sale would be all you would need and I assume they will supply that. I don't think it needed to be registered last year.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Thanks everyone but guess my biggest question is what will they require upon pickup i.e. a current registration or anything? Do you simply call these places, they swing by take it and it's done? Do you like have to transfer ownership through paperwork or anything? Is it ok if it hasn't been registered for a couple of years. It's a 19 ft I/O probably can't go to a little "thrift shop."
I have donated boats and cars several times. In some cases, without current reg and even a title (lost it). They'll take it and do the leg work. After all, it's the least they can do.

Tax deduction doesn't hurt.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
dpg (03-15-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
fatlazyless

www.mmmarinesalvage.com in Meredith, across from the town transfer station would maybe take a 19' i/o …… that's like their meat and potatoes …. and pull it off your trailer or something.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
elbie

Default Give them a call.

Why don't you give one of the places mentioned above a call and see what they say?
elbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbie View Post
Why don't you give one of the places mentioned above a call and see what they say?
Yup going to look into it thanks.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
How do you donate a boat in NH? Does it require a valid current years registration? Think we have one from maybe 2017 and didn't register it last year. Any ideas who to call and the definite things they'll require? In Moultonborough - Thanks. Oh, also would like it picked up.
Donated a 30 year old boat about 15 years ago... The did ask for the most recent registration.... I can't remember the charity at the moment. The other thing they also requested was that they wanted to see the boat or pictures of it before they agreed to take it... Which I thought was reasonable... The guy I dealt with commented that they had been burned many times because the would agree to take the boat as a donation, only to find that it was a POS, and then they would have to pay to scrap it. In my case, the boat was in good condition, so they took with the understanding that the outboard may need replacement as it was also 30 years old and was having issues..... Zip forward 5 years or so after that donation, I saw the boat on the lake with a new engine on it.... Talked with the current owners, and found the boat that was old and tired in my eyes, was the joy of theirs after the new engine was in place.