Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Trailer - Fix or Replace?

Just checked trailer wiring of used trailer purchased with boat, and the wirig appears to be cut or snapped from where the pig-tail plug enters the trailer tongue. I know nothing about the rest of the wiring, inside the trailer, haven't reviewed condition. I did have to replace a broken tail-light. For all I know the rest of the wiring could be junk ? FYI, trailer camme from
salt-water location, and you know what those climate condition cause....

Question.... In an effrot to save time and trouble, do you think it would be easier to try to fix the current wiring, or just replace with new, from front to rear? I think I know your answer !

Also, if new wiring is to be replaced, from to rear, I was going to bypass the side-reflector lights which are currently wired, and just use as reflectors.
This would eliminate a lot of extra wiring now, and problems down the road.

Your suugestions are always appreciated !

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
SAB1 (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
AC2717

I would just rewire and be done with it, proabbly cheaper in the long run,
I like the reflector idea, as long as the tail lights have side lights as I believe side lights are required, but i am in MA
Old 06-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
NoBozo

There is ONE advantage that I LIKE with having the wired Orange marker lights on the leading edge of the fenders.

While driving down the road..you can look back in your side view mirrors and SEE those lights when they are ON, indicating that all your other lights are likely working as well. Even in daylight, I like to know that my directionals and brake lights are working...so I occasionally turn on my parking lights to SEE the Orange sidelights go on. It's a quick indicator that all is well, without having to pull over to see if the lights are working. NB

PS: The biggest problem with trailer lights is an "Intermitant Ground" connection. You have GOT to have Clean & Bright connections ON the trailer.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

I do exactly the same thing as NB and occasionally turn on my lights to check that they are working.The only way to do that under way is with side lights.On my trailer the wiring for the side lights is the same wire heading back to the tail lights so its really no more wirng,just another connection along the way.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Rewiring the trailer is the best option. Once the wiring has started to have issues, you will chase issue after issue.

I would make sure to connect all the lights that where originally on the trailer. Trailers where designed to conform to all states laws upon date of production. And all though you may believe you will never pull your trailer anywhere else, you may find that you do at some point....
Old 06-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Rangervx

i guess i am of the thinking that it would take less than 15 minutes to splice in a new pigtail...hook up to tow vehicle...and figure out what really works/doesn't. in fact...i wouldn't even finalize the splice...connect wires by twisting...check all lights...make determination and after you fix what you need...go back to pigtail and make permenent repair with quality heat shrink butt connectors and silicone. for trailer applications...i use wurth brand heat shrink butt connectors...a bit of silicone and overlay that with a longer (maybe 4") piece of heat shrink over that...
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rangervx For This Useful Post:
bigdog (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
bigdog

Default Trailer - Fix or Replace? `

FYI, one of the side light wire connections is definitely broken, and has the bulb missing, haven't checked the other side yet?

I understand everyone's suggestions about wiring all trailer lights, including 'side lights', but just wiring from front to back, with a continuos length of wire would seem like the quickest and easiest solution, but maybe not perfect !

I don't expect to take trailer out of NH, except to haul to Mass for winter storage, then back to NH in the Spring. Other than that, most of traiiler use, would be a two mile roundtrip run, from home to boat ramp, then back again.

Thanks again.
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Rangervx

Default BigDog...

definately either service or perhaps consider replacing your hubs, depending on type/cost. at a minimum...service the hubs (bearings) prior to heading south. i'd be as concerned about those little guys as the lights. also...DO NOT go the quick route for wiring and use "scotch locks". use good quality butt connectors. believe it or not...for such a simple piece of hardware...there are different grades (speaking of the connectors you use). really...they should be soldered and heat shrunk. if you dont solder...butt connectors will be fine as long as you take your time and protect them from the elements. forgot to mention, depending on state registration, if no one mentioned prior, and state inspection requirements...all lights must function. i also agree big time with a prior poster...those lights on the leading legs or leading fenders are big time important for me personally during night time hauling.
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
FYI, one of the side light wire connections is definitely broken, and has the bulb missing, haven't checked the other side yet?

I understand everyone's suggestions about wiring all trailer lights, including 'side lights', but just wiring from front to back, with a continuos length of wire would seem like the quickest and easiest solution, but maybe not perfect !

I don't expect to take trailer out of NH, except to haul to Mass for winter storage, then back to NH in the Spring. Other than that, most of traiiler use, would be a two mile roundtrip run, from home to boat ramp, then back again.

Thanks again.
Bigdog
If you are going to spend the time to fix it why not fix it right? You might sell the trailer in a few years and the new owner might want side lights. How much longer do you really think its going to take, I would say 30 minutes.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Baja Guy

Plus you can buy a properly color coded harness at an auto parts, a Walmart or online for very short money. That way you have the absolute minimum amount of splices to fail in the future.