Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Lakelife2016

Default What’s needed to boat in nh

Hi all, were looking at getting a wake boat in spring and plan on using it local in ma (where we live) and in nh occasionally, what is a little confusing is the boat safety certificate and the boat registrations will i need to register the boat in both ma and nh? And in nh in order for anyone to derive the boat they will need a boat safety certificate correct?
Lakelife2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
kawishiwi

Default Reg in Mass

If you live in MA I think you have to register there, only, unless you own property in NH.
You HAVE to have a NH boating certif., or an equivalent, for every adult boat driver, 16+, when you are in NH.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #3
Lakelife2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
If you live in MA I think you have to register there, only, unless you own property in NH.
You HAVE to have a NH boating certif., or an equivalent, for every adult boat driver, 16+, when you are in NH.
That’s what I figured but I wasn’t sure, I’ll have to see if the ma one counts for New Hampshire. Or see if ma also recognizes the nh one and just do the nh one
Thanks!
Lakelife2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:39 AM   #4
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelife2016 View Post
Hi all, were looking at getting a wake boat in spring and plan on using it local in ma (where we live) and in nh occasionally, what is a little confusing is the boat safety certificate and the boat registrations will i need to register the boat in both ma and nh? And in nh in order for anyone to derive the boat they will need a boat safety certificate correct?

If you MA license is approved by the US Coast Guard or NASBLA then it is acceptable in NH

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:55 AM   #5
Winnisquamer

I have a nice wake boat for sale as of now. PM me if interested!
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2017, 06:09 AM   #6
Phantom

You can register the boat in it's "Prime" state of operation --- meaning greater than 45 days.

I also live in MA (did not have a "residence or property" at the time in NH) and bought & registered mine in NH ...... in that way you dodge the Sales Tax but on the flip side you pay MUCH higher $$ for the Registration and it's renewals (NH may be Tax Free - but they still get ya).

Regarding the Law -- MA & NH have reciprocity, so a boat registered in Ma has full access to NH waterways -- similar to a car. If your boat is in the State for more than 45 continuous days, then you are "suppose" to register it in that State.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

If you register in Mass you also pay an excise tax every year to your town. If it's a new boat that cost will surely out way the cost of a NH boat registration. So it's still much cheaper to register the boat in NH if that's where you plan to use it the most.
I remember when I bought my first boat off a guy in Mass and registered it in NH. A year later I got a bill from the previous owners town trying to collect his excise tax from me. Ha,ha, NOT!
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
If you MA license is approved by the US Coast Guard or NASBLA then it is acceptable in NH

Don't believe MA has a boating licence. Lowell has been suggesting it this summer after a few jet ski accidents, but as was brought up, the licence is only good if there is someone on the river enforcing it.
I could be wrong though, don't do much/any boating in Ma.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
Woody38

Most all states require a license as does Massachusetts. A power squadron course or state course will qualify for licensure. There was a good reference on a previous thread last year I believe. A boating license in Massachusetts should qualify for NH.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #10
Rich

I hear the BEST place to wakeboard on the lake is in Winter Harbor!
Old 10-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #11
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Most all states require a license as does Massachusetts. A power squadron course or state course will qualify for licensure. There was a good reference on a previous thread last year I believe. A boating license in Massachusetts should qualify for NH.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
https://www.boaterexam.com/usa/massa...gulations.aspx

Reading this from the MA DMV, it sounds like only people under 16 for a boat, 18 for PWC need a boating certificate. Good to know for my friend's that have kids and boats on lakes in both MA/NH. So they'd be able to drive a boat in NH under 25hp without a license but can't cross the MA line because any motorboat needs the certificate if they are under 16.

Either way, Get the boating license is always a good idea. My NH was done at the very beginning and in the classroom so its good in every state. But always good to know what's needed in each state.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

My grandson got his from Ohio. You take the course and test on line and they send you the licence.
That's the way NH first did it but experienced boaters were taking the test for everyone in their family so now you have to go take the test in person and show proof that it's you.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #13
joey2665

It is a flawed system though because many of the states that accept online testing are approved by the USCG an NASBLA which is accepted by NH as a result if you boat in NH but live elsewhere it's much easier to obtain a license and skirt the system.

The answer would be to not accept USCG of NASBLA approved licenses and only accept an NH license. My permanent residence is out of state and I have an NH license and felt it was important for me to take the NH test since I boat here often
Old 10-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
Pricestavern

Nerves of Steel
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

When I took my on line boating license test here in NH I was curious about Florida because we boat there also and I found their on line course.
Big surprise....the questions and test were exactly the same as NH......only difference were questions regarding intercoastal waterway markers.
Took a few minutes to check it out and was able to easily pass that test as well.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #16
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
When I took my on line boating license test here in NH I was curious about Florida because we boat there also and I found their on line course.
Big surprise....the questions and test were exactly the same as NH......only difference were questions regarding intercoastal waterway markers.
Took a few minutes to check it out and was able to easily pass that test as well.
Florida does not accept an NH boating license?
Old 10-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #17
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Florida does not accept an NH boating license?
Florida accepts any NASBLA approved course certificate. Anyone born after January 1, 1988 needs a Florida boating license to operate a boat there.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #18
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Florida accepts any NASBLA approved course certificate. Anyone born after January 1, 1988 needs a Florida boating license to operate a boat there.

Thank you Tilton appreciate it.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #19
John E

I live in MA and have my boat registered in NH. You are allowed to register a boat in NH with a MA address as long as 50% of your boating is done in NH. I've also heard (but am not positive) that if your boat stays in NH for over 30 consecutive days, it must be registered in NH.

The savings in sales tax can be substantial.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #20
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default 30 Days

It has been rumored that, if you take your boat out of the water, then wait a day, you truly can say you just put it in TODAY!, if asked.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote