Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
corollaman

Default Ice Out

I'm wondering if Ice Out will be early or late this year.I'm hearing from people that the ice isn't that thick,so maybe early.However,it was really cold for a while before we got any real snow to cover it and insulate from freezing anymore,so it could be thicker this year.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
michael c

Default Ice Out ??

April 26th 2:30 p.m.

Mike
Old 02-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
I'm wondering if Ice Out will be early or late this year.I'm hearing from people that the ice isn't that thick,so maybe early.However,it was really cold for a while before we got any real snow to cover it and insulate from freezing anymore,so it could be thicker this year.
Pretty sure the ice is thick this year......
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Lakewinn1

Post Ice Out

Those ice fishing have told me it is not as thick as in past years.
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I don't think the ice is as thick either. Some guy put a Bob House right near the end of our docks. I had to turn the bubbler off because the edge was creeping really close to the house. I was afraid he wouldn't be able to pull it off the ice. In other words the bubblers really ate away at the ice fast. Last week, no problem, this week big open water area in front of the docks. I even took them off the timer and they are just off now.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
CanisLupusArctos

Definitely no need for bubblers anymore. There will be some re-freezing, and given what the long-term large scale weather pattern has been doing I would not be surprised to see snow in April or even May this year. However, due to the sun being pretty high in the sky now (and daylight duration about 12 hours) the lake's season of ice growth is definitely over and the season of ice loss is now becoming noticeable.

The ice is not as thick as it normally is, despite the extremely cold January. There were 10 days with sub-zero readings at Black Cat Island Weather Station and the month's overall average temp was 14.1 degrees. The ice did not thicken that much this year because we got early snow (it played a large role in freezing the lake this season) and after the flaky, low-quality "snow ice" formed and stayed, we got more snow on top of it. Snow is an insulator. For most of this winter there was a snowpack of several inches on top of the lake ice, keeping the 33-degree water below the ice from giving up too much heat to the air, which would have resulted in some really good ice growth in the kind of temperatures we had in January.

Last night we had 0.44 inch of rain which fell heavily and eroded at the edges of the ice near rocks, buoys, and the shore. The sun has been melting away at those small openings all day as we are now about as warm as we were yesterday (45.)

The rain and warm temps also rapidly melted the snowpack on the ice so now it has the look of a melting hockey rink out there. Plenty of sleds still, but they're doing a lot of splashing around in the deep puddles.

With the lake ice's snowpack now gone, many areas have lost that bright white reflector that has been protecting the ice. The darker colors are now exposed and this will help absorb more light starting today. That will result in faster melting.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
trfour (03-08-2009)
Old 03-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
corollaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
Definitely no need for bubblers anymore. There will be some re-freezing, and given what the long-term large scale weather pattern has been doing I would not be surprised to see snow in April or even May this year. However, due to the sun being pretty high in the sky now (and daylight duration about 12 hours) the lake's season of ice growth is definitely over and the season of ice loss is now becoming noticeable.

The ice is not as thick as it normally is, despite the extremely cold January. There were 10 days with sub-zero readings at Black Cat Island Weather Station and the month's overall average temp was 14.1 degrees. The ice did not thicken that much this year because we got early snow (it played a large role in freezing the lake this season) and after the flaky, low-quality "snow ice" formed and stayed, we got more snow on top of it. Snow is an insulator. For most of this winter there was a snowpack of several inches on top of the lake ice, keeping the 33-degree water below the ice from giving up too much heat to the air, which would have resulted in some really good ice growth in the kind of temperatures we had in January.

Last night we had 0.44 inch of rain which fell heavily and eroded at the edges of the ice near rocks, buoys, and the shore. The sun has been melting away at those small openings all day as we are now about as warm as we were yesterday (45.)

The rain and warm temps also rapidly melted the snowpack on the ice so now it has the look of a melting hockey rink out there. Plenty of sleds still, but they're doing a lot of splashing around in the deep puddles.

With the lake ice's snowpack now gone, many areas have lost that bright white reflector that has been protecting the ice. The darker colors are now exposed and this will help absorb more light starting today. That will result in faster melting.

OH,I hope we don't get snow in April and May! I know it probably wouldn't last even a day,but it's just the idea of getting snow in April and May that's disheartening.BUt,you're right,now that the snowpack on the ice is gone,the sun will refract thru it more and melt it.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
Dave M

Was up yesterday to check out the place. Water everywhere on the Lake. Drove over to Long Island bridge and ran into a guy pulling his Bob house off that was between Long Island and Morrison Cove. He mentioned ice was still 19" thick but didn't want to chance it. Still some Bob house on town beach side of Long Island. Saw a lot of Bob houses in a line in Meredith. Saw ice braking up on a huge boulder in front of our camp and water was showing.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
DENNISJ

Default ice out

I can't wait till it's all gone. Melt BABY MELT
DENNISJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Grant

Default May Snow

May snow would be fun. A few years ago when I was opening up over the first weekend in May, I slipped on ice on the dock. Looked like a big bead of water on the treated wood, but it was ice. There's usually still snow on the Gunstock slopes til mid-May.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #11
Arubaman

As of yesterday fishing trip this is what I had for ice.
The broads have 11-14 inches and some of the bays have over 24 much of the lake has around 16.
Arubaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
Toyorelle

Default ice out

looks like the next few days, although chilly, are supposed to be full of sun! Melt Melt Melt! time to put away the winter toys and bring out the summer ones
Toyorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
Merrymeeting

Well we all know that an April snowstorm would not be at all unusual, and the threat of frost will still be around until well into May. But I was shocked at the amount of melting/snow disappearance that occured here in n-central MA yesterday.

The rain washed away most of the snow cover in many areas here yesterday, with the exception of the north facing areas that don't get as much direct sunlight.

The good-sized fire pond around the corner from work completely opened up in one day and as of this morning is almost ice free.

The small lake nearby is now snow free and the ice is cracked in many places. A few good days like this coming weekend is forecast could begin the process here. This lake is always about 2-4 weeks ahead of ice-out on Winni.

While the cold nights, and next 2 days, will continue to slow things, those looking at an early-to-mid-April ice-out may not be far off.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
CanisLupusArctos

Default get those bobhouses off!

The ice is now melting rapidly. The sun is very strong now. Yesterday morning despite the below-normal cold Black Cat Shoals showed its first patch of open water since the lake froze. The melting has continued today, even in temps below freezing. The melting is taking place in shallow areas and around rocks. Today the lake water temperature at 2 feet down jumped up to 34.5 degrees, a sure sign that the melt is now quickly occurring.

Ice on south facing shores is now about a foot back from the shoreline. South facing shores are now snow-free to about 5 feet from the water and also where there is nearly constant sun exposure during the day. Snow depth in normal sun/shade mix is still 12 inches.

Today's dry air resulted in a good deal of sublimation, when snow or ice evaporates into the air without melting first.

Several more days of sunshine are ahead.

Here for your spring entertainment is the sun schedule for March, for Laconia. In 2 more weeks the sun will be rising a half hour earlier and setting 20 minutes later. The sun is now peaking at 45 degrees above the horizon each day and will peak at 53 degrees in 2 weeks. The sun is still rising and setting just south of due east/west. At the end of the month it will be rising and setting about 7 degrees north of due east/west. We now have 11 hours and 50 minutes of daylight (not counting civil twilight, when there is enough light for the average person to read.) In 2 more weeks we will have 12 hours, 40 minutes of daylight -- 50 more minutes of daylight added in the next 2 weeks. This process continues until the first day of summer.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (03-16-2009), BlackCatIslander (03-14-2009), Blue Thunder (03-14-2009), hancoveguy (03-14-2009), hazelnut (03-13-2009), Jonas Pilot (03-13-2009), Resident 2B (03-13-2009), robmac (03-14-2009), Ropetow (03-13-2009), VitaBene (03-15-2009), White Rook (03-14-2009)
Old 03-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
CanisLupusArctos

Default A lead opens!

This afternoon brought a significant annual sign of iceout: The opening of a lead
between the island and Black Cat Shoals. A crack formed in the ice between the
island and the rock ledge this afternoon and buckled downward around 3 p.m. This
allowed the crack to become submerged along its entire length for about 2 feet on
either side. This lead is about a week ahead of last year's.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Blue Thunder (03-15-2009), corollaman (03-14-2009)
Old 03-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
Merrymeeting

We visited Merrymeeting and Wolfeboro today. It was a beautiful day to be back at the lake.

The ice on Merrymeeting is still very solid, with many ice fishers and sled riders on the surface. We talked to one of the ice fishermen who were about 100 yrds offshore. They had drilled about 10 holes over a wide area and were still seeing 18-20" of solid ice.

I did have one of those heart jumping moments early in the morning. While walking on the ice about 50 yrds offshore, there was an enormous expansion boom as the sun warmed the ice. Between that moment you hear it, and the moment you realize what it is and there is nothing to worry about, the heart does race a bit faster!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #17
corollaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
We visited Merrymeeting and Wolfeboro today. It was a beautiful day to be back at the lake.

The ice on Merrymeeting is still very solid, with many ice fishers and sled riders on the surface. We talked to one of the ice fishermen who were about 100 yrds offshore. They had drilled about 10 holes over a wide area and were still seeing 18-20" of solid ice.

I did have one of those heart jumping moments early in the morning. While walking on the ice about 50 yrds offshore, there was an enormous expansion boom as the sun warmed the ice. Between that moment you hear it, and the moment you realize what it is and there is nothing to worry about, the heart does race a bit faster!
I heard something like that last weekend. The ice is melting rapidly though, and I'd give it maybe 2, maybe 3 weeks before it's unsafe, so you got plenty of time.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
I heard something like that last weekend. The ice is melting rapidly though, and I'd give it maybe 2, maybe 3 weeks before it's unsafe, so you got plenty of time.
Yesterday a number of snowmobiles crossed the ice where the lead is now opening up. Farther out, there are still ATVs in use. There is an ice fishing group visible off of Cooks Point this morning. The ATVs yesterday were traveling between there and Three Mile.

This morning I heard the singing of the season's first summer bird.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #19
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default A Walk To Welch

I walked out to Welch Island yesterday from Glendale and I saw at least a half dozen full size trucks still out on the ice driving around!! Snowmobiles and ATV were also everywhere. Not sure how these snowmobiles aren't burning up their hyfax runners with zero snow on ice??

Walking out the ice was pretty slick as there was little to no snow cover. Coming back a couple hours later however the walking was fine as the top slick ice had melted allowing for plenty of traction.

Won't be long...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #20
corollaman

I was looking out on Paugus Bay with binoculars today and could see heat waves rising from the ice! I can tell that ice is heating up and melting.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #21
KTO

I saw a pickup go out onto the ice Saturday morning.

The ice had receded considerably around our dock from that morning until this morning. Early spring...!?
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #22
brk-lnt

Quote:
I was looking out on Paugus Bay with binoculars today and could see heat waves rising from the ice! I can tell that ice is heating up and melting.
So you're saying the ice was warmer than the surrounding air?

What you see as "heat waves" has to do with the light refraction index of air at different temperatures. What you were witnessing was temperature related, but not exactly "heat waves rising from the ice".
Old 03-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #23
Merrymeeting

No sign of any bob houses on Wolfeboro Bay this past weekend either.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #24
brk-lnt

There were a handful in Meredith Bay yesterday, including people out on snowmobiles and ATVs.

The ice is receding fast, though.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #25
corollaman

my boss said he was out ice fishing this weekend and there was 30" of ice. I think he's exaggerating. He said the ice has grown 3" too, but I don't think that is true either. I can't say for sure cause I've never been out on the ice, but the warm temps and hot sun we've been having must be doing something to the ice.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #26
Resident 2B

Default No Way, Jose

Quote:
my boss said he was out ice fishing this weekend and there was 30" of ice. I think he's exaggerating. He said the ice has grown 3" too, but I don't think that is true either. I can't say for sure cause I've never been out on the ice, but the warm temps and hot sun we've been having must be doing something to the ice.
Do not trust anyone over 40.....

I believe your boss is mistaken. I realize that the boss is never wrong.

The ice is melting farily quickly for this time of year. More will go this week with the warmer mid-week weather. The higher sun and clear days are hitting the ice hard.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:49 AM   #27
trfour

Default Well, After Last Years Ice Out....

This years should be sometime after July 15th....
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #28
Gearhead

Default Alton Bay

The ice is going out at the gas dock by Downing's Landing! I'll bet it'll be halfway to the bandstand by the weekend.
Attached Images

Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #29
KTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
This years should be sometime after July 15th....
I knew this winter felt particularly loooong :P
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #30
Webbsatwinni

Is anyone still on the ice, snowmobiles etc?
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #31
nvtngtxpyr

Default Lily Pond?

Any signs of an ice out at Lily Pond next to the Laconia Airport?
nvtngtxpyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #32
Lakegeezer

Default not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
Is anyone still on the ice, snowmobiles etc?
There are still a few snowmobiles zipping by every day (none yet today). The ice is still very safe once you get away from shore. Near islands and rocks is a different story, but generally, ice is safe within a few feet of what you see open. We're talking another month before the ice is gone. The "three weeks to go" indicator by us (open water spreading from some rocks) hasn't triggered yet.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #33
Kerk

Smile Water Temperature

Today is first I have seen of Water temp.going up! Still has 6 to 8 degrees to go for Ice Out imo.
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #34
SPT13

Default Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtngtxpyr View Post
Any signs of an ice out at Lily Pond next to the Laconia Airport?
There was ice this past weekend, but I did not see any activity on it
SPT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #35
CanisLupusArctos

The lake ice is rapidly melting. Several days of sunny weather in the 40s are
ahead and will likely continue the melting process. Yesterday a group of three
deer walked from Bear Island across the main part of the lake to Moultonborough
Neck but walked very tentatively. The human activity that was on the ice earlier
this week is now gone.

Last weekend saw the opening of an annual lead between Black Cat Island and Black Cat
Shoals. The opening occurred a week earlier than it did last year.

Black Cat Shoals is now in open water, as are most other rocks and the shoreline.
The ice has been re-freezing a bit on nights that go below freezing but not enough
to match the amount of melting that is now taking place during the day.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #36
Merrymeeting

The ice on the small lake I pass on the way to work that I've mentioned here before went dark last night. This is in N Central MA. I expect it will mostly clear by the weekend. In past years, this has been a good pre-indicator of the big lake by about 3-4 weeks.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #37
Merrymeeting

I'm surprised to see there are still several bobhouses visible a ways out on the WeirsCam. Not sure I'd want to be waiting much longer to retrieve them. The water temperature is starting to rise.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #38
Lakewinn1

Post Bob Houses

Don't thay have to be off the lake ( by law) sometime soon? Not sure but I thought it was the end on March.... Does anyone know the spacific date that must be removed by?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #39
corollaman

April 1st they have to be removed from the lake. I think that's dumb, cause Ice Out has been as early as late march.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #40
jst_4_kiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewinn1 View Post
Don't thay have to be off the lake ( by law) sometime soon? Not sure but I thought it was the end on March.... Does anyone know the spacific date that must be removed by?
I believe the specific date for bob house removal is April 1st....If someone wants to question my guess, then I will check with my mom.....she works for Fish and Game in Concord

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:06 AM   #41
Lakewinn1

Post Bob House

Thanks for the quick response... I knew it was in that time frame but was not sure of the exact date.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #42
my2girls_2004

Smile Ice Out

April 29, 2009 at 11:11 a.m. .... that's my guess
my2girls_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #43
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
The ice on the small lake I pass on the way to work that I've mentioned here before went dark last night. This is in N Central MA. I expect it will mostly clear by the weekend. In past years, this has been a good pre-indicator of the big lake by about 3-4 weeks.
Despite how it feels today, the lake mentioned above was completely ice-free as of this morning. It was good to see the waves and deep blue color again.

With the water temperature coming up, the ice continues to melt from below. It won't be much longer.... 3 weeks!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #44
RLW

Thumbs up

Just a quick look at the Bay by the bridge this afternoon
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #45
DickR

Friday (3/20) I saw a light truck with a trailer a few times making a run between the Moultonborough town beach and the islands to the southeast.
Saturday my son and I, with his kids, walked out to a marker. My son pushed the marker down to a point where he could feel the bottom of the ice, then let the marker back up through the hole. The water was almost up to his elbow, so that was something over a foot thick at that point.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #46
hazelnut

Thumbs up Ice Out Watch

Seriously, as I checked out the many webcams on the lake today I thought to myself, "What is better than this?" Every year during this time of year it becomes an obsession for me. I am sure there are many here like me. I can't go a day without checking every single webcam for some sign, some movement, some change in the ice. Maybe it's because my house is on an Island or maybe not but I love the anticipation of Ice-Out. I love the fact that we have this transition of seasons. I'm not sure if I would have the same appreciation for the lake if Winnipesaukee was in Florida or something and did not freeze over in the winter. Just when I get, dare I say, bored of the lake at the end of the boating season the anticipation starts back up again in the spring and gets me all excited for another boating season.

Pretty cool.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (03-30-2009), SIKSUKR (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #47
Kerk

Smile Early Ice Out - Cow Is.

A few years back my wife and I went by boat on St Patricks. Day --March 17 !! Earlest I have ever done it. This year I guessed in the 20 th April !!
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #48
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Every year during this time of year it becomes an obsession for me.
I thought it was just me!

You summed it up nicely
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Blue Thunder (03-26-2009)
Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #49
Tiger Lilly

I keep looking at the lake cams and it looks as though your ice is all gone!! Is there an official Ice Out date? And you are having sun and 53 degrees today?? (April 14) - wow! That's better than my weather to the south!
Tiger Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #50
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
I keep looking at the lake cams and it looks as though your ice is all gone!! Is there an official Ice Out date? And you are having sun and 53 degrees today?? (April 14) - wow! That's better than my weather to the south!
Ice Out was declared Sunday at noon.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #51
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Is there an official Ice Out date?
Check the front page: http://www.winnipesaukee.com
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #52
Island Girl

Default and here

www.rattlesnakecam.com/iceout.htm

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #53
Tiger Lilly

Okay, you all think I'm a ninkompoop, but for some reason it didn't who up on mine! http://www.rattlesnakecam.com/watch.htm

Anyway, I'm SO EXCITED! Even though I won't see the lake for real until July - sniff!
Tiger Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #54
Island Girl

Quote:
Okay, you all think I'm a ninkompoop, but for some reason it didn't who up on mine! http://www.rattlesnakecam.com/watch.htm

Anyway, I'm SO EXCITED! Even though I won't see the lake for real until July - sniff!
Ah ha!!! I update the ice out page... During ice in and ice out I take the watch page and turn it into ice in and ice out pages. I don't update the watch page during this time. Shortly I will turn the ice-out page into the watch page and decommission the ice out page... does this make any sense... so if you go to http://www.rattlesnakecam.com/iceout.htm you will see the announcement.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote