Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
Catisleguy

Angry Shep Brown's/ Goodhue is NOT Ethanol Free like they claimed!!!

Called today twice, once to see if they were pumping (yes they were) and asked at that time was it Ethanol Free? I was told YES, no Ethanol here!

Then when I got to the gas dock sign said call for service and again asked "Is it Ethanol Free?, could not see any sign from my boat disclosing it" Again told YES, Ethanol Free!!! Saw no sign on pump saying it contained Ethanol (which I wanted to avoid if possible and if not just drive to Mobil and save $1.50+/ gallon)

After nice young girl comes out and fills it up, (again asking her if it was Ethanol free, which I planned on telling the Winnipesaukee world about if it were, and was told again YES, no Ethanol!")

Very excited to find E-free gas on the lake, I went in to pay and when returning to my boat, on the opposite side of the pump, You guessed it, sign on pump facing away from gas dock, says 10% ETHANOL!!!!!!!!

I went in to complain and they looked like I had 2 heads, wondering what the big deal was.... Obviously if you don't know, you should probably found out the correct answer instead of picking one out of your b***!

Beyond that, anyone who boats should be aware of what Ethanol con and does do to your fuel system. In case you don't, it's BAD for your boat's fuel system, and you must use StarTron or similar to prevent damage and do not leave the fuel in the boat very long either way...

Last edited by Catisleguy; 10-24-2019 at 05:33 PM. Reason: sp
Catisleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #2
ursa minor

Welcome to the forum. Not sure why this is even a question, unless you’ve been traveling to Ossipee or Freedom or buying aviation fuel you’ve been filling up with ethanol for quite a while now. Add the fuel stabilizer you prefer, I’ve been using Stabil Marine with good results.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?p...e&stateprov=NH
Old 10-24-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catisleguy View Post
Called today twice, once to see if they were pumping (yes they were) and asked at that time was it Ethanol Free? I was told YES, no Ethanol here!

Then when I got to the gas dock sign said call for service and again asked "Is it Ethanol Free?, could not see any sign from my boat disclosing it" Again told YES, Ethanol Free!!! Saw no sign on pump saying it contained Ethanol (which I wanted to avoid if possible and if not just drive to Mobil and save $1.50+/ gallon)

After nice young girl comes out and fills it up, (again asking her if it was Ethanol free, which I planned on telling the Winnipesaukee world about if it were, and was told again YES, no Ethanol!")

Very excited to find E-free gas on the lake, I went in to pay and when returning to my boat, on the opposite side of the pump, You guessed it, sign on pump facing away from gas dock, says 10% ETHANOL!!!!!!!!

I went in to complain and they looked like I had 2 heads, wondering what the big deal was.... Obviously if you don't know, you should probably found out the correct answer instead of picking one out of your b***!

Beyond that, anyone who boats should be aware of what Ethanol con and does do to your fuel system. In case you don't, it's BAD for your boat's fuel system, and you must use StarTron or similar to prevent damage and do not leave the fuel in the boat very long either way...
Startron is good but I now use K100.....research it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2019, 06:03 AM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

If you have a newer boat 10% is not a problem. Newer boats just like cars are designed to handle it. If you have an older boat with carbs instead of fuel injection then you should use a fuel stabilizer when it's going to be siting for a long time. Unless you have a real old boat I wouldn't go out of my way to find Ethanol free gas.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:03 AM   #5
Dave R

I used 10% ethanol gas in my boats for the last 18+ years (I stopped at start of this season) with no issues at all. I filled the tanks and added blue Stabil for Winter, otherwise I did nothing special. One boat was carbureted, one was fuel injected. The only place I know of in NH (other than airports) that sells "Real Gas" is in Freedom.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2019, 07:10 AM   #6
SAB1

I don’t think there is anywhere to ethanol free on lake is there? As mentioned above you can get it in ossipeee.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
Phantom

I'm only aware of ValveTec being around the lake but that is not ethanol Free … simply refinery blended stabilizer in the fuel.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
robmac

The problem isn't the engine being able to run on the fuel it's the phase separation that happens after it being in the tank after 28 days. For that reason many marinas add chemicals to slow that process but it doesn't eliminate it.What happens is the ethanol absorbes ambient moisture and when it's saturated it drops to the bottom of your tank right where you fuel pick up is and the problems begin.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #9
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
The problem isn't the engine being able to run on the fuel it's the phase separation that happens after it being in the tank after 28 days. For that reason many marinas add chemicals to slow that process but it doesn't eliminate it.What happens is the ethanol absorbes ambient moisture and when it's saturated it drops to the bottom of your tank right where you fuel pick up is and the problems begin.
That happens in your carb float bowl also and it will corrode the inside of the carb if it sits in there too long. That's why a good fuel stabilizer is a must on older boats and cars with carbs when putting them to bed for the winter.
I've rebuilt many carbs over the years and the ones that sit for too long are not even worth rebuilding.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I am not aware of any marina. Sheps included, that doesn't have some stabilizer or ethanol treatment in the gas they sell. I seen some that actually advertise what additives they use.

ValveTect is commonly the additive I've seen advertised. This is what Shep's sells in case the original poster is interested. See the list of marinas that use it below. From their website:

ValvTect Marine Gasoline is "specially formulated" for marine engines and is designed to prevent the problems of ethanol gasoline, such as phase separation, moisture, poor stability and the formation of power-robbing carbon deposits.

ValvTect Marine Gasoline is "specially formulated" for your marine gasoline engine. It requires no additional fuel additives to protect your engine, eliminating any risk of improper additive use and saves time and money
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default 1988 Formula

Everything was fine until about 2005. I started having trouble starting and the fuel lines was filled with gunk! I had to replace the gas tank, as the ethanol ate the rubber liner. Also had to replace all the fuel lines and rebuild the carbs with neoprene gasket and float valves. I even replace the inline fuel filter with a fuel filter/water separator combination that looks like an oil filter. So far everything was fine up to a few years ago. I had trouble with intake manifold pressure. I guess they didn't think about replacing the carb/manifold gasket with neoprene, ethanol ate that too! So yes ethanol is a pain if you have not retrofit your old gas delivery system. LLM has Stabil in their fuel so it's all good!
Old 10-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #12
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Everything was fine until about 2005. I started having trouble starting and the fuel lines was filled with gunk! I had to replace the gas tank, as the ethanol ate the rubber liner. Also had to replace all the fuel lines and rebuild the carbs with neoprene gasket and float valves. I even replace the inline fuel filter with a fuel filter/water separator combination that looks like an oil filter. So far everything was fine up to a few years ago. I had trouble with intake manifold pressure. I guess they didn't think about replacing the carb/manifold gasket with neoprene, ethanol ate that too! So yes ethanol is a pain if you have not retrofit your old gas delivery system. LLM has Stabil in their fuel so it's all good!
I have been using Startron fuel stabilizer in everything I own (carburetor, or fuel injection), for about 30yrs now, and I have NEVER had to rebuild a carburetor in my life, and I have NEVER had any problems whatsoever with any part of the fuel system in anything I own, EVER!! Either I have been very lucky, or the stuff works.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
robmac

I use Startron or 110 race fuel I get at Haffeners
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote