Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Smile Moultonborough to Portland

We are looking for transportation to Portland airport the morning of January 2nd, something reliable that won’t break the bank. When we fly from Manchester, we rent a car from the Laconia airport, then drop it in Manchester next day. That doesn’t seem to work one way from Laconia to Portland. Have any of you had some experience similar to this? We don’t want to park our car at an airport long term. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
jenfa

Sorry I can't help with a ride as I won't be in NH at that time but would you consider catching your flight from Logan instead of Portland? You could take the Concord Coach Lines bus right from Center Harbor to Logan Airport. The bus stops in Meredith, Concord, South Station and then Logan.
jenfa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jenfa For This Useful Post:
newposterguy (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
newposterguy

This is an excellent suggestion. Affordable, comfortable, and clean, you can't beat the company you meet either!

Really, the cheapest is hitchhiking. Just plop your bags down on the entrance ramp to 93 and stick out your thumb. Hopefully a pickup with a warm cab comes around...eventually.
newposterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
CL 240 LS

Default Concord Coach

I have used the bus a couple of times, Logan and South Station and it is very convenient. The only issue is in Center Harbor the is no long term parking. Get to the bus is a challenge using friends and neighbors. C and J in Dover has a long term parking and works well for trips to Logan.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newposterguy View Post
This is an excellent suggestion. Affordable, comfortable, and clean, you can't beat the company you meet either!

Really, the cheapest is hitchhiking. Just plop your bags down on the entrance ramp to 93 and stick out your thumb. Hopefully a pickup with a warm cab comes around...eventually.
Hahaha! There always has to be a joker in the mix (I cleaned that up)!

We are in need of someone serious.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

I have taken the Concord Coach bus from Concord to Logan numerous times. It is about $40 round trip. It makes about the same time as a car does without the stress or expense of driving yourself. Free wifi so just play on your laptop and you are there pretty quickly. It is a lot less expensive than driving down and parking at Logan.

I flew up from Florida this morning and took the bus to Newburyport. I had left my vehicle there 18 days ago and took advantage of the free parking.

I am not sure why people (and I have friends that do) would rather fly out of Manchester and take a flight with stops. I go from Boston to Fort Myers often and Jet Blue has about 8 non-stops a day on that route in season.

The last time I took a flight on that route that had one stop I was stuck in Philadelphia overnight, on my on dime. I learned my lesson.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Reilly (11-13-2019), Sue Doe-Nym (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by newposterguy View Post
I hitchhiked from the big lake to south Jersey, and while it took awhile to catch a ride it was a lot of fun, free, and reasonably quick.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I have taken the Concord Coach bus from Concord to Logan numerous times. It is about $40 round trip. It makes about the same time as a car does without the stress or expense of driving yourself. Free wifi so just play on your laptop and you are there pretty quickly. It is a lot less expensive than driving down and parking at Logan.

I flew up from Florida this morning and took the bus to Newburyport. I had left my vehicle there 18 days ago and took advantage of the free parking.

I am not sure why people (and I have friends that do) would rather fly out of Manchester and take a flight with stops. I go from Boston to Fort Myers often and Jet Blue has about 8 non-stops a day on that route in season.

The last time I took a flight on that route that had one stop I was stuck in Philadelphia overnight, on my on dime. I learned my lesson.
Thanks so much. We have always gone Southwest nonstop from Manchester to Tampa, but their schedules have eliminated most of the nonstops, only keeping very early flights. That’s what prompted us to try Elite from Portland to Sarasota...they have nonstop flights 2days a week. The problem is that there’s a huge problem renting a car one way to Portland, a situation that’s really quite simple Laconia to Tampa. Ahhhhhhh....the joys of living in the sticks! 🤨
Old 10-24-2019, 04:50 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Our friend does that flight quite often. Let me know how your flight goes. She just left last week and all went well. But she has had some interesting experiences. She has been hours and hours late, she has had unexpected stops (like from Orlando to Tampa) because they didn't have enough people and then an unexpected stop for fuel in Myrtle Beach. But mostly she has run late. I hope they are improving. She drives her car to Portland and has it picked up and brought to Fl.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #10
Trail Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 240 LS View Post
I have used the bus a couple of times, Logan and South Station and it is very convenient. The only issue is in Center Harbor the is no long term parking. Get to the bus is a challenge using friends and neighbors. C and J in Dover has a long term parking and works well for trips to Logan.
Would Uber or a taxi not be a practical option to get you to the bus stop in Center Harbor?
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #11
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Thanks so much. We have always gone Southwest nonstop from Manchester to Tampa, but their schedules have eliminated most of the nonstops, only keeping very early flights. That’s what prompted us to try Elite from Portland to Sarasota...they have nonstop flights 2days a week. The problem is that there’s a huge problem renting a car one way to Portland, a situation that’s really quite simple Laconia to Tampa. Ahhhhhhh....the joys of living in the sticks! 🤨
Our neighbors fly Allegiant Airlines from Portsmouth (PSM) to Punta Gorda (PGD).

They say that you can park for free at both airports.

I have not verified that.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Portsmouth not free parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Our neighbors fly Allegiant Airlines from Portsmouth (PSM) to Punta Gorda (PGD).

They say that you can park for free at both airports.

I have not verified that.
1. Parking is not free at Portsmouth Intl Airport at Pease. Hasn't been for about a year.

2. Sue Do-Nym said she doesn't want to leave the car longterm at the airport.

Dave
Sue Doe-Nym (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #13
Taz

JetBlue has some non-stop flights from Boston to Tampa or Sarasota.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #14
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
1. Parking is not free at Portsmouth Intl Airport at Pease. Hasn't been for about a year.

2. Sue Do-Nym said she doesn't want to leave the car longterm at the airport.

Dave
So...

Other than 1 and 2 my post was useful?
upthesaukee (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #15
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
So...

Other than 1 and 2 my post was useful?
Very useful. I guess we’ll have to hitch hike. Hoping someone else comes up with a brilliant idea. 🙄
Old 10-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #16
phoenix

Dont know if lakes region shuttle would take you to portland. They go to nyc so maybe they would
Old 10-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #17
tis

http://winnipesaukeelivery.com

Of course they are in Wolfeboro so would have to go to Meredith but you could ask them. I think they are still in business.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #18
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Latest scoop on Mboro to Portland

Here’s the best we have come up with so far.....Enterprise in Wolfeboro.....one way to Portland.....$155 (ouch!) includes $100 drop off fee. All in all, this is an expensive venture, but at least it’s an option. 😎
Old 10-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #19
Susie Cougar

Default Moultonborough to Portland

Sue, I think you could try posting in Skelly’s Market and Murphy’s Mobil and others, and speak to someone working there. There’s always someone looking to make a little extra cash. It’s just a matter of finding them. Good luck.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #20
Susie Cougar

Default Moultonborough

I’m also pretty new to all types of social media, but we have Nextdoor down here in Florida, and if you had posted that you needed a ride to the airport, you would get a half a dozen responses immediately.

I know the Winnepesaukee Forum is similar but may not be reaching the local permanent residents who are probably the people who would be looking for the extra work.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #21
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I’m also pretty new to all types of social media, but we have Nextdoor down here in Florida, and if you had posted that you needed a ride to the airport, you would get a half a dozen responses immediately.

I know the Winnepesaukee Forum is similar but may not be reaching the local permanent residents who are probably the people who would be looking for the extra work.
This. Talk to a couple of people at Heaths, Center Harbor Diner and Village Kitchen and maybe stick something on the bulletin board.

I have a friend who is retired and drives around for entertainment but he'll be away that week.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #22
Susie Cougar

Default Moultonborough

jbolty, that’s exactly what I thought.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #23
phoenix

One downside of posting at heaths etc is does the person show up. At least with enterprise you can control your destiny.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #24
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

My son flies out of Manchester all the time to the West Coast for work and never has an issue.

Me- I only do non stop flights or I simply just don’t go.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:15 PM   #25
CL 240 LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Goer View Post
Would Uber or a taxi not be a practical option to get you to the bus stop in Center Harbor?
I don’t think there is any taxis or Uber in Moultonboro. I may be wrong and would love to have a reliable ride when needed. As said in other post, asking around at the stores isn’t a good option.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #26
Sue Doe-Nym

Default 2 pronged solution

We are very fortunate in having some wonderful friends. At dinner tonight, the topic of January 2nd came up, and they offered to drive us! Honest, we didn’t even hint. So....we have their generous offer, plus the car rental reservation at Enterprise, in case the friends either can’t do it or change their minds. The Enterprise option, while not cheap, is at least possible, so maybe this will be helpful to someone else. Hope so.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:13 PM   #27
8gv

This idea is long on time but cost efficient:

Two of you drive to the airport 1/1.

One rents a car.

Both drive home, separately.

On 1/2, you drive the rental car back to the airport.

You pay for only one day of the rental car but have spent some money on gas and given up three hours of your time.
mhtranger (10-25-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 10:20 PM   #28
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
This idea is long on time but cost efficient:

Two of you drive to the airport 1/1.

One rents a car.

Both drive home, separately.

On 1/2, you drive the rental car back to the airport.

You pay for only one day of the rental car but have spent some money on gas and given up three hours of your time.
You know....that’s pretty ingenious if you have the patience. Thanks for the thought. It could work. 🤓
Old 10-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #29
tis

Sue, did you call the Winnipesaukee Livery Service I posted above? Was there a problem with them?

Also there is a person in Wolfeboro named Ken Berry who drives cars to Florida. I assume he would drive somebody to Portland but maybe not. He used to own Berry Transportation years ago.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #30
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Sue, did you call the Winnipesaukee Livery Service I posted above? Was there a problem with them?

Also there is a person in Wolfeboro named Ken Berry who drives cars to Florida. I assume he would drive somebody to Portland but maybe not. He used to own Berry Transportation years ago.
Thanks...Winnipesaukee Livery is $165+tip. We appreciate having the contact number, and a live person actually answered the phone.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #31
tis

Quote:
Thanks...Winnipesaukee Livery is $165+tip. We appreciate having the contact number, and a live person actually answered the phone.
Ok. I wondered if you checked. I am glad to know. Try Ken Berry.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #32
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 240 LS View Post
I don’t think there is any taxis or Uber in Moultonboro. I may be wrong and would love to have a reliable ride when needed. As said in other post, asking around at the stores isn’t a good option.
I don't think any of us were thinking to grab some random person at the store for a ride but rather to make a connection to the locals. I bet there are a half dozen regular breakfast patrons at the diner who would be happy for an excuse to drive and have a conversation with someone for a couple hours and the server would know who they are.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
Susie Cougar (10-25-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #33
fatlazyless

Default ..... Lakes Taxi?

In Center Harbor, saw a nice looking silver BMW suv, hatchback, with a sign on the side that says

LAKES TAXI
603-707-2354

with a small sailboat drawn as part of the sign.

Sure looked like a taxi to me, what with the sign designed for a taxi service.

So, is this a new local taxi service, or what?
Sue Doe-Nym (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #34
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
In Center Harbor, saw a nice looking silver BMW suv, hatchback, with a sign on the side that says

LAKES TAXI
603-707-2354

I have called and left a message re possibility of trip Moultonborough to Portland and the cost for same, and I will let you know. Thanks for the tip.
Sue
Old 11-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #35
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default regional flying

if your company will pay for it, Emerson Aviation will fly to all regional airports.
One company I consult for will find the cheapest regional flight out of this region to Wisconsin. That can be Portland or Portsmouth, St Johnsbury etc. The company will pay for limo service from the home.

I normally rent from Enterprise in Laconia to all the regionals. Cheaper than hiring a limo. Plus they pick me up and drop me off from the rental site! No parking problem!

Not sure if there is an office near Moultonboro. I do know someone in Tuftonboro that travels often. He mention limo service in Wolfeboro.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #36
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Update on Lakes Taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

LAKES TAXI
603-707-2354

This is for the benefit of anyone needing transportation via taxi:
Lakes Taxi did return my call fairly promptly, and he charges $2.50 plus $1.50 per mile, so we would be talking roughly $90 plus tip to Portland. I will keep his number handy as that’s more reasonable than most. I hope this will be useful to others. 😎
Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #37
Woodsy

Default One Way Rental

You can do a 1 way rental with most rental care companies. I did a quick look at Enterprise out of Wolfeboro and it was under $50 for a 1 day economy car rental!

Woodsy
Old 11-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #38
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Not quite true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
You can do a 1 way rental with most rental care companies. I did a quick look at Enterprise out of Wolfeboro and it was under $50 for a 1 day economy car rental!

Woodsy
It is correct that you can do a one way rental from Enterprise in Wolfeboro, but there is a $100 drop off charge for the privilege of going to Portland.
🙄
Old 11-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #39
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
It is correct that you can do a one way rental from Enterprise in Wolfeboro, but there is a $100 drop off charge for the privilege of going to Portland.
🙄
Interesting! Did many one way travels with Enterprise. Both to and from the Laconia office. Never charged me a drop off fee. Perhaps because Wolfeboro is small?
PS. I'm the guy that drop off Challengers from other location to Laconia! Pretty cool!