Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-09-2024, 12:33 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Starter issue ?

Boy, I seem to be having more issues with truck more and more frequent
Truck is 2016 Ford F-150 V6 Eco-burst engine. 45k miles on engine.

Yesterday I went to the store, came home and parked truck. Later I went to make a dump run, got in truck to start it and 'nothing' happened, nada, zip....
Lights work, Directionals OK, radio works, Dash lights all working OK....
I was going to do the 'old school' trick and get under truck and tap it with a hammer, to see if I could get Starter to turn-over, but didn't want to crawl under truck, besides not much clearance to do such.

I called AAA who came and tried to jump but no success. Engine didn't make any sound, no clicking or even made an attempt to start.
He then ran checks on battery which registered 12.5V, Alternator tested fine, and indicated it was working as it should. Tests indicated that the 'Starter' was the issue. He said that when the Starter goes bad there are no warning signs ?

Doing my own research I have to agree with AAA diagnosis. However, other issues, although rare, could be issue with 'Starter Relay' or 'Neutral Safety' switch.

AAA are coming Monday to tow vehicle to repair shop. Appt has already been made with repair shop. Would have towed today, but shop is closed Sat.

Would appreciate Forum feedback about my issue.

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 02:03 PM   #2
8gv

Assuming it has a traditional key start:

Hold key fully against the spring as you would for any normal start.

Jiggle the shifter while doing so.

If it starts it may be a neutral safety switch issue.

Consider any anti theft equipment that may be disabling the vehicle.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
bigdog (03-09-2024), Electric man (03-10-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 03:16 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Our 2016 Ford Expedition is basically the same as the F-150. Fob and button, no key. OP says 45K miles "on the engine" implying that maybe the truck is a lot older and maybe the engine was replaced, but alternator, starter etc are much higher use. Otherwise 45K seems pretty new for a starter to die. Any warranty still in place? E.g. If this is not the original starter, does it have separate warranty? We have about 80,000 miles, driven by old lady, but the car never goes to church.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 04:53 PM   #4
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Our 2016 Ford Expedition is basically the same as the F-150. Fob and button, no key. OP says 45K miles "on the engine" implying that maybe the truck is a lot older and maybe the engine was replaced, but alternator, starter etc are much higher use. Otherwise 45K seems pretty new for a starter to die. Any warranty still in place? E.g. If this is not the original starter, does it have separate warranty? We have about 80,000 miles, driven by old lady, but the car never goes to church.

Just a FYI....
I purchased truck as a 'lease-off' vehicle, it was 1 1/2 yers old at my purchase.
Had 24k miles at my purchase.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:18 PM   #5
John Mercier

I did have it happen to my car one time.

Went for lunch... came back and parked it in the employee parking at Meredith-Middleton; and when I went to leave nothing.

I had to call for a ride and called Meredith Truck the next morning.
Dave changed out the starter before the end of the day.

I guess there is a wire that over time shorts. Replacing just the wire cost more labor time, so they just replace the whole starter.

Ran perfect after that until I gave it away... it was 8 or 9 years old when the starter went. Funny thing... it went right after I had my battery and alternator checked and replaced the battery. I guess the extra voltage allowed the wire to arc, or whatever, even more quickly and it was the weak link in the system.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2024, 03:14 PM   #6
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I did have it happen to my car one time.

Went for lunch... came back and parked it in the employee parking at Meredith-Middleton; and when I went to leave nothing.

I had to call for a ride and called Meredith Truck the next morning.
Dave changed out the starter before the end of the day.

I guess there is a wire that over time shorts. Replacing just the wire cost more labor time, so they just replace the whole starter.

Ran perfect after that until I gave it away... it was 8 or 9 years old when the starter went. Funny thing... it went right after I had my battery and alternator checked and replaced the battery. I guess the extra voltage allowed the wire to arc, or whatever, even more quickly and it was the weak link in the system.
One-up
Kudo's John!
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:13 PM   #7
bigdog

Well, had vehicle towed today to repair shop. They diagnosed the same as AAA that the 'Starter' was bad ! They charged me $84 to tell me this.

Long story, they are replacing 'Starter'. $260 for new Ford OEM Starter, and $280 for labor. Does this sound reasonable ? Labor sounds a little high ???

Thoughts ?
Old 03-11-2024, 06:18 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Well, had vehicle towed today to repair shop. They diagnosed the same as AAA that the 'Starter' was bad ! They charged me $84 to tell me this.

Long story, they are replacing 'Starter'. $260 for new Ford OEM Starter, and $280 for labor. Does this sound reasonable ? Labor sounds a little high ???

Thoughts ?
Considering the current labor rates…I would say yes but would think if they are doing the work the $84.00 diagnostic charge would be excluded…

Dan
Old 03-11-2024, 09:32 PM   #9
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Considering the current labor rates…I would say yes but would think if they are doing the work the $84.00 diagnostic charge would be excluded…

Dan
The $84.00 diagnostic charge was not included, but will have that conversation when I pickup vehicle tomorrow.

Thanks everyone !
Old 03-11-2024, 09:57 PM   #10
fatlazyless

2008, sixteen years ago, was the last year you could get a manual transmission, a 5-speed, in a Ford F-150.

I have been driving a manual since 1976 and will never buy an automatic. Am driving a 2017 Subaru Crosstrek with a 5-speed stick shift.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:25 AM   #11
ApS

Question Solenoid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post

Thoughts ?
The last time I had this happen, I was able to "short" across the solenoid. (Which was the faulty part).

Was thIs an option in their diagnosis?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
bigdog (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 06:47 PM   #12
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
The last time I had this happen, I was able to "short" across the solenoid. (Which was the faulty part).

Was thIs an option in their diagnosis?
Not sure how they diagnosed, but they said they used a electronic tester.
They said they tested battery and Alternator, which tested fine, I assumed they tested solenoid also.

I asked them, if I didn't authorize the $84n test procedure, what would they do,
they said they'd just install Starter as requested.

Maybe I should have just done that, because AAA already , all the above all tested fine, and stated the Starter was the issue.

Just a FYI, the repair shop was AAA recommened !