Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #101
sa meredith

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
The American auto industry isn't suffering cause of people buying foreign cars,but it's cause of the greedy CEO's running the Big 3.I think it's unamerican to buy from a company with these types of ethics,and besides,every American car I've had has always been in the shop.They're over-priced too,so I also think it's unamerican to buy from a company that steals from its customers by overcharging.I know,some foreign makes are more expensive,but you get more car for the money.
Thanks for the expert opinion. How long have you been in the auto industry?
Curious, if you have the time, if you might site some specific examples, and #'s. You paint with a broad stroke. They are strokes anyone at all could similarly paint. But I'm sure you have specific facts/numbers/examples....
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #102
momof3

Default Villager

1997 Mercury Villager, Nautica Edition. 116,000 miles on it. Had no major problems, still love my van, however, cannot pass inspection, and applied for waiver but a no go, very long story, so began looking at 1yr old vans/small SUV's, hoping to buy in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

Which for me brings up more concerns since my husband was laid off for approximatley 10 months last year, don't even now if I will qualify for a car loan...we'll see. Thank God he is back to work but not the same pay. I mentioned selling our boat, THAT CONVERSATION DID NOT GO WELL :-)
momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #103
RI Swamp Yankee

Default Autoworkers Making $70 An Hour?

This doesn't relate directly to the lake but pay for autoworkers has been mentioned here. Here is one of the few stories I have seen with numbers. I can't vouch for the validity but is interesting reading.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4630103.shtml
Pineedles (03-09-2009)
Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #104
sa meredith

Default Uaw

As I stated eralier in this thread, it is indeed the UAW which crippled the auto industry in this country. The article posted previous to this posting actually states the pay is not $70 per hr, but rather works out to that when figuring in health insurance, sick time, personal time, vaca time, etc., etc., etc.,
Things are changing quickly, however. Union workers realizing very quickly what the alternative is.
When this mess sorts intself out (in 2 or 3 years) my guess would be unions will be a thing off the past. Back to the days of "an honest day's pay, for an honest day's work". Never mind 12 weeks vaca, 15 sick days, 11 Holidays, 10 floaters, 22 sick days......
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote