Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Rum Runners

In my search for this alleged "rum boat" in Winni during the Prohibition (speed boat supposed to have been involved in a chase) I researched archives of the Laconia Democrat from 1920-1933 (the Prohibition)-all 676 issues-during which this thing was supposed to have gone down (shot full of holes or scuttled). While I found no trace of this incident in the newspaper whatsoever I did find about 15 articles in the Democrat about illegal liquor running and related activities of all sorts.

Attached are two printouts-hope you can read them. See the article just above the one in question-Curious to note that even in 1921 some people in New Hampshire were pushing for an income tax-unbelievable.

If you're interested-if you find what appears to be an old bottle (anywhere) and it says on it something like...."Per federal law this cannot be re-filled" you will know it was made after 1933-the end of Prohibition created new regs and rules-among them a law against using the bottle again; Why I don't know, but it helps me date the glass that I find.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Rum Runners 1.pdf (233.3 KB, 538 views)
File Type: pdf Rum Runners 2.pdf (207.0 KB, 537 views)
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-05-2013), Orion (09-28-2008), Sunset Bob (09-28-2008)
Old 08-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
SunsetPointWentworth

"""""""""""""In my search for this alleged "rum boat" in Winni during the Prohibition (speed boat supposed to have been involved in a chase) I researched archives of the Laconia Democrat from 1920-1933 (the Prohibition)-all 676 issues-during which this thing was supposed to have gone down (shot full of holes or scuttled).""""""""""

Is this 'THE' boat that was suppose to have gone down with a load of rum on it? Something to do with Rum Point? I'm going to search the site, but I'm sure I've heard a story about this.

Found this on http://www.divewinnipesaukee.com/divesites.shtml Rum Point - Located on the shores of West Alton, this site has tremendous rock and wall formations. There is an assortment of fish life. Join us in the hunt for the sunken logging truck that sank in 1965 towards Echo Shores or the missing shipment of illegal rum. This point was one of the popular launching sites during prohibition and a load was lost.

One more edit...found this thread http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8687
SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote