Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
blackdogmom

Default Encourage Children Reading with Free Ice Cream

What could be better than ice cream in the summer? How about free Ben & Jerry's ice cream you earned by reading library books? The James E. Nichols Memorial Library in Center Harbor, NH is delighted to participate in the Ben & Jerry's Literacy Program. This program offers the reward of free ice cream to children who take part in summer reading programs.

The Nichols Library aims to promote reading as a fun, educational and rewarding activity for everyone, especially children. Any child who reads a book from the NIchols Library collection this summer and answers a question or two from the library staff will receive a special bookmark with a coupon for up to two free scoops of ice cream in a cup or a cone. The coupon is redeemable at the Ben & Jerry's shop in the Mill Falls Marketplace at 312 Daniel Webster Highway/Route 3 in nearby Meredith.

Toddlers and young children who are just starting to read are also encouraged to participate by having a Nichols Library book read to them.

The James E. Nichols Memorial Library was dedicated in 1910. The Library is one of the few free libraries in New Hampshire and it is open to all. There is no charge for a Nichols Library card.

The historic Nichols Library is located at 35 Plymouth Street on the corner of Route 25B, next to the Center Harbor Municipal Building. It is an easy, short walk from the Town docks on Lake Winnipesaukee. Hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10am to 6pm and Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 10am to 1pm. For additional information, please call the Library at 603-253-6950.
blackdogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blackdogmom For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (07-18-2019), FlyingScot (07-17-2019), macbeth (07-18-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
Wifi-1

Wow, why not Dewey's, right across the street ? A local vendor.

https://deweysicecreamandcafe.com/
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wifi-1 For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
Hillcountry

I agree! Ben and Jerry’s can go feel the bern...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Garcia

Default Great idea!

Encouraging reading is always a good idea!
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #5
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Encouraging reading is always a good idea!
One of the greatest gifts you can give to a child at first thoughts, more than money, toys and all those other things we love to spoil our kids with.

I feel blessed that my son is a good reader, it has made him totally unafraid to research anything he wants to learn about.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
jbolty

love of reading comes before anything. If you can read and comprehend any subject comes easy. My mom taught me the basics before kindergarten,

On the other hand. DEWEY'S
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi-1 View Post
Wow, why not Dewey's, right across the street ? A local vendor.

https://deweysicecreamandcafe.com/
Wow, once again it only took one response for a POSITIVE thread to take a Negative turn. Please remember this is about KIDS and FREE ice cream. Ben&Jerry's probably can afford it much easier. Just amazes me !
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macbeth For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-18-2019), kauriel (07-22-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Sounds like this event is being sponsored by Ben & Jerry's. Not sure what or why Deweys would be involved.

From the original post... "NH is delighted to participate in the Ben & Jerry's Literacy Program".
Old 07-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
Wow, once again it only took one response for a POSITIVE thread to take a Negative turn. Please remember this is about KIDS and FREE ice cream. Ben&Jerry's probably can afford it much easier. Just amazes me !
So true! How does rewarding kids who read become a negative?
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
eillac@dow

My 2 children are great readers. They are now 26 & 23. I can remember when my daughter got her license she would head down to the Barnes & Nobel store and just take in the offerings. Sometime with the Amazon account, I would be like...seriously..more $, but then I realized they were buying a book to read.

This past Christmas...my son, 23....I ask so what would u like for Christmas...response was ...nothing really...oh wait there are a couple books I would like 😊

Ben and Jerry’s...Dewey’s...does it matter? It is the encouragement to read. It is a great thing.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
Garcia (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #11
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
You are correct... I spoke too soon. Or typed, I should say.

Last edited by Hillcountry; 07-18-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Garcia (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #12
fatlazyless

Default ..... library wild animals?

You know that Center Harbor-James E Nichols Public Library is worth visiting just for the collection of very high quality stuffed and mounted wild animals displayed on the upper reaches of the tall walls in the main, front room. Believe they have a bob cat, deer, moose, mountain goat, black bear and maybe some others that all look like they have been in place for a long, long, long time ..... like maybe 100-years.

Come night time, after the library gets closed and locked up ...... understand these wild animals climb down off their wall and relax in the big comfy chairs for a good long read ..... undisturbed by anyone ..... or to log onto one of the library 'puters .... just to catch up with the other animals.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
So true! How does rewarding kids who read become a negative?
It's not a negative, just that one of the best ice cream shops around is 50 feet away so hard not to think of it. I wonder if Dewey's would honor the coupons; would be smart if they did.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
Wifi-1 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #14
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogmom View Post
What could be better than ice cream in the summer? How about free Ben & Jerry's ice cream you earned by reading library books? The James E. Nichols Memorial Library in Center Harbor, NH is delighted to participate in the Ben & Jerry's Literacy Program. This program offers the reward of free ice cream to children who take part in summer reading programs.

The Nichols Library aims to promote reading as a fun, educational and rewarding activity for everyone, especially children. Any child who reads a book from the NIchols Library collection this summer and answers a question or two from the library staff will receive a special bookmark with a coupon for up to two free scoops of ice cream in a cup or a cone. The coupon is redeemable at the Ben & Jerry's shop in the Mill Falls Marketplace at 312 Daniel Webster Highway/Route 3 in nearby Meredith.

Toddlers and young children who are just starting to read are also encouraged to participate by having a Nichols Library book read to them.

The James E. Nichols Memorial Library was dedicated in 1910. The Library is one of the few free libraries in New Hampshire and it is open to all. There is no charge for a Nichols Library card.

The historic Nichols Library is located at 35 Plymouth Street on the corner of Route 25B, next to the Center Harbor Municipal Building. It is an easy, short walk from the Town docks on Lake Winnipesaukee. Hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10am to 6pm and Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 10am to 1pm. For additional information, please call the Library at 603-253-6950.
Would be smart of the library to bring Innis Free Book Shop into the program with them since it is in the same marketplace where the Ben & Jerry's is located
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #15
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
It's not a negative, just that one of the best ice cream shops around is 50 feet away so hard not to think of it. I wonder if Dewey's would honor the coupons; would be smart if they did.
So, in your eyes... if one ice cream company offers for free... the others should compete with that? "GREEDY PIGS" is what comes to mind for me.

Let this company(s) contribute to the community as they choose without judging them!
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote