Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
SIKSUKR

Default Where were all the boats this weekend?

I launched my boat for the first time this weekend.Saturday I was headed to launch at Glendale and was to arrive about 12:30pm.Based on past years,I thought I might have a problem on a 90+ weekend day finding room to park my trailer in the town lot behind Marine Patrol.After I launched I drove into the parking area only to find about 8 cars in the car only level and maybe 10 vehicles with trailers in that level.I thought great,but this is weird.Off I went headed out away from The Gilford town docks towards Timber Island.There is normaly a fair amount of traffic I have to cross between Lockes and Timber but to my amazement I could only see about 8 boats in either direction as far as my eyes would work.This is usually a pretty rough area for me on my PWC but I was suprizingly able to run almost full throttle(55 to 60mph) without a problem.I stopped out in the broads and and looked around and saw maybe 5 boats in all directions.I called a friend and he said he was in Braun Bay so I made my way over there on very flat water.Braun was had very few boats for what I was expecting on a 90 dgree day.
I returned Sunday mid afternoon to see a slightly higher number of cars in the lot but what seemed like way less boats.We sat out in the broads for an hour and I could count the boats we saw on one hand.It seems to me that gas pricees and/economy is having a large impact so far this early boating season.Anyone else?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Dave R

Yup, Sunday was quite dead in the Broads. I prefer it a little busier just because it makes it more interesting. Braun was fairly full on Sunday, but not like a July Sunday. Ramp at Downing's was really slow. Johnson's in New Durham had customers, but it was not packed.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Gas prices are killing everyone. Even if yur not hurting finacially, all the talk about it alone is depressing.

Pretty funny timing on the speed limit law though isn't it?...Now that no one, or fewer, people are coming to the lake!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
robmac

Hey boating has never been inexpensive but with fuel prices increasing all other costs(ie-food,clothing etc.) families are trying to plan far in advance on boat outings.I will still use my boat the same amount of weeks but plan trips on the lake carefully. No longer floating all over the lake.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Airwaves

I for one have decided I will probably not launch the Winnipesaukee boat this summer.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
hazelnut

Right now I still have $3.99 per gallon gas in my boat from a month ago. I want to see how far I can stretch this tank! Basically that means a whole lot less leisure trips and we'll be keeping it to necessary transportation. The 13 whaler will see the bulk of the action this summer as opposed to the 25 bowrider.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
Paugus Bay Lake Girl

Default Boats out this weekend.

I can't afford his gas... as Sheryl Crow would say..
Attached Images

Paugus Bay Lake Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Paugus Bay Lake Girl

Default Braun Bay Boats

Nice Boat! Can't afford his gas either!
Attached Images

Paugus Bay Lake Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
sky_nh

Default An alternative

You guys amaze me. You go on and on complaining about the price of gas, counting the boats on the lake, lamenting the impact of gas prices on tourism. Why don't burn those gas-guzzling monsters and get a sail boat or a kayak? Aside from the money you'd save, you might get some exercise and learn a boating skill other than how to turn the on/off switch and move the wheel left or right.

It you want to tell me you are so independently wealthy that gas prices don't matter, fine. I can accept the fact that not everyone has the same amount of disposable income to play with. But stop the bitching. It just sounds pathetic and stupid.

sky_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
macshpman

I am just waiting for my outdrive so I can return to the lake. Sent it out to be serviced and have not recieved the phone call yet saying it is done and I can pick it up. My own fault also, removed it last november but did not deliver it untill three weeks ago. Just got real busy over the winter.
macshpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
Weekend Pundit

Default Quiet Saturday and today

Saturday was quiet, with no queues to get through the Weirs Channel, very little chop between Weirs Beach and Spindle Point, and boat traffic down quite a bit from last year.

We headed out for an after work cruise on the lake this afternoon. While I expected to see only a few boats out, I didn't expect we'd see only a dozen in the three hours we were out there (one of them being the Sophie C).

I haven't seen traffic down this much since the year the lake was so high due to heavy rains all spring. As I recall there was a lake wide No Wake Zone declared until July 4th that year.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Other than fuel prices, one thing to remember, is school is going to run late this year due to the snow-days. Afer school is out, traffic will most likey increase. Maybe people might not run the boats as much, but they will go out.
I too, have the cheaper gas in my boat from last summer. I figure when I fill up at 1/2 tank the fuel will still be a bit cheaper until all of last summers gas is gone. At least I am training my brain to think of it that way.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
Paugus Bay Resident

It's early in the season. Kids are still in school, graduation and wedding time, water is still cold.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #14
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_nh View Post
You guys amaze me. You go on and on complaining about the price of gas, counting the boats on the lake, lamenting the impact of gas prices on tourism. Why don't burn those gas-guzzling monsters and get a sail boat or a kayak? Aside from the money you'd save, you might get some exercise and learn a boating skill other than how to turn the on/off switch and move the wheel left or right.

It you want to tell me you are so independently wealthy that gas prices don't matter, fine. I can accept the fact that not everyone has the same amount of disposable income to play with. But stop the bitching. It just sounds pathetic and stupid.

I've never read a dumber post than that!

What do you know about any forum members and their skills. Many people own both power and sail craft. I'm guessing it is the heat that is affecting you but what a completely negative and mean spirited post by you. If you don't like reading the thread read something else.

So bitching about gas prices is pathetic and stupid? Wow you must be loaded or you drive a solar powered car or something. OK well we should all just sit back and let gas prices hit $5.00 for cars and $6.00 for boats and we shouldn't complain because sky_nh says so.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #15
SIKSUKR

Quote:

People who complain about people complaining need to look in the mirror pal.No post here has more complaining than yours.Go away troll.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:12 AM   #16
The Skipper

Exclamation Why my friends are not at Lake Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Pretty funny timing on the speed limit law though isn't it?...Now that no one, or fewer, people are coming to the lake!
While gas prices may keep a few people home there is another reason. Lakesrider joked about the timing but he is on to something.

I wanted to go up with my boating buddies a few times during this heat but they say no! They heard about the new speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee and decided to stay away. They don't have the GFBL boats they are family boaters and fishermen. We tube, sightsee, fish, drop anchor and raft. My friends think the law is currently in effect.

Some of our boats can reach the 45 mph limit and all of us can go faster than the 25 mph speed limit.

With money tight this year they do not want to buy a GPS just to monitor their speed and insure they comply with the law. They do not want to risk a ticket or get a mark on their driving record. They don't want to bother with the extra burden. Too bad they don't follow speed limits on this forum. They need to be educated and think I am too biased by my love for boating Winnipesaukee.

If we want to see more boaters in the lodgings and businesses around the lake then let them know there is no new speed limit this summer. I want to enjoy Winnipesaukee with some of my friends the way we did until this year. What can I do to change their perceptions?
The Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #17
Ropetow

Question

Quote:
But stop the bitching. It just sounds pathetic and stupid.

Et tu, sky nh?

Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
Mashugana

Arrow Where are all the boats?

Ahhh. Maybe all those boaters who are not here read the biased newspaper stories or op-ed pieces, or heard Bear Islander, Evenstar, WINNFabs and others shouting about how unsafe and out of control our lake is. They claim it is unsafe for campers, kayakers, swimmers and everyone else. It's like the wild west of boating here. Maybe they got scared off after hearing all that.

If I didn't know any better all that negative talk would keep me away too.
Mashugana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #19
2Blackdogs

There were the usual number of bassboats and aluminum fishing boats. There weren't a lot of medium sized boats, but really, it's not crowded because it's JUNE.

Let's check back in a month.
2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #20
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blackdogs View Post
There were the usual number of bassboats and aluminum fishing boats. There weren't a lot of medium sized boats, but really, it's not crowded because it's JUNE.

Let's check back in a month.
You may be right on that one but I certainly remember many more boats on a 90 degree June weekend in the past.This coming weekend being the start of motorcycle week might also be keeping home till then instead of making back to back trips.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #21
COWISLAND NH

Default Ahhh Like The Good Old Days

It's like it used to be, people who enjoyed the sport of boating are boating reguardless of the cost...we will sacrifice in other areas (like no pool at home or trips to six flags). Let's see how many accidents are on the lake now that every Tom, Dick and Harry doesn't have the $ to do it. Sorry if you can't but I luved pulling into the Weirs on a HOT June night with ample room to park.....just like it used to be
COWISLAND NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:49 AM   #22
Chris Craft

Plus there are lots of people that are so busy with work that they just can not find the time to get away. People are being asked to do more with less so the ones that are busy are VERY busy. I hope to be able to get up to the lake this weekend but we shall see. Even if I do the boat is still under the shrink wrap and needs to have the spring clean done
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #23
Orion

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skipper View Post
I wanted to go up with my boating buddies a few times during this heat but they say no! They heard about the new speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee and decided to stay away.
You're kidding, right? Someone without a GFB would not come to the lake because they can "only" go 45 mph?
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #24
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Tourism Down

It's quite obvious at this point that tourism in the lakes region will be drastically down this summer. Ask anyone who rents out their place whether on an island or on the mainland and you hear the same thing over and over..."Many weeks available this summer".

My wife and I just rented a place on an island for a couple weeks that is normally well booked up by now every year...The entire month of July was still available as of last weekend! We heard this same story from many camp owners who rent.

I think the price of gas and the current unstable state of affairs with our economy is keeping people home. The Lakes Region needs to do everything they can to welcome tourists so more businesses do not go under. When businesses leave the area or go out completely, you know who has to make up for the tax burden differential!

Having attended the Bike Rally for many years,I will be curious to see what the final stats are for this years event... I have a feeling they will be down as well.

My personal feeling is the entire Lakes Region will be suffering this year due to lack of tourism.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #25
Chris Craft

isoot: Bikers are hard core. They will no doubt make it in force....
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #26
kjbathe

Cool The bottom?

Disclaimer: Rarely am I classified as an optimist, so I'm a little surprised that I'm about to write this, but....

I'm just not on board with the continued predictions of doom and gloom, a nation, a region, an economy on the brink of collapse. Folks, snap out of it!!! Yes, gas prices are high. Yes, folks are on a budget. But this manufactured sense of a mortgage and lending crisis created last summer to precede the national primary contests was bogus. 97% of mortgage holders have continued to pay on time! The crisis would have been if our folks in Washington decided to bail them out.

We are not in a recession. We haven't even had a single quarter of negative growth. Slow growth? To be sure, but it's GROWTH of our economy. Exports remain strong. Unemployment continues to be historically low. Gas prices are high, but WE HAVE GAS. This isn't the 70's where we're restricted to buying only $2 per pump. Mortgage interest rates are still in the low 6's! SIX!!! Not 13 percent. Not 18 percent.

I know it's all the rage these days to mope around in our big state of woe-is-us, but shame on us!

If everyone is convinced the sky is falling and tourism will be down and our economy is in the hopper, then it becomes self-fulfilling. So let's not go there. Look at all the investors that are gobbling up properties on the cheap as we bounce off the bottom of this dip. This is not our Grandparent's Great Depression in spite of the talking heads that would have us believe it is so.

So enough with the dire predictions and gloomy outlooks. I'm with COWISLAND and loving the fact the lake is quiet again. You folks need to get off the sidelines, put your boats in the water, get to the lake, SNAP OUT OF IT and start having a great summer already!

[Rant Mode: Off]
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #27
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Craft View Post
isoot: Bikers are hard core. They will no doubt make it in force....
I'm a hard core biker, I won't be there (might be in my boat, elsewhere on the lake though).
Old 06-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #28
JonLevis

Even if gas is expensive, even if the water is still cold (and it is...decided to jump off in the Broads and I am still catching my breath!) my boat is out every weekend. Gas prices aren't going down and I still want to be out. The nice thing is that the Lake is not filled with the "less lake savvy" weekend warriors! See you all this weekend!
JonLevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #29
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
Disclaimer: Rarely am I classified as an optimist, so I'm a little surprised that I'm about to write this, but....

I'm just not on board with the continued predictions of doom and gloom, a nation, a region, an economy on the brink of collapse. Folks, snap out of it!!! Yes, gas prices are high. Yes, folks are on a budget. But this manufactured sense of a mortgage and lending crisis created last summer to precede the national primary contests was bogus. 97% of mortgage holders have continued to pay on time! The crisis would have been if our folks in Washington decided to bail them out.

We are not in a recession. We haven't even had a single quarter of negative growth. Slow growth? To be sure, but it's GROWTH of our economy. Exports remain strong. Unemployment continues to be historically low. Gas prices are high, but WE HAVE GAS. This isn't the 70's where we're restricted to buying only $2 per pump. Mortgage interest rates are still in the low 6's! SIX!!! Not 13 percent. Not 18 percent.

I know it's all the rage these days to mope around in our big state of woe-is-us, but shame on us!

If everyone is convinced the sky is falling and tourism will be down and our economy is in the hopper, then it becomes self-fulfilling. So let's not go there. Look at all the investors that are gobbling up properties on the cheap as we bounce off the bottom of this dip. This is not our Grandparent's Great Depression in spite of the talking heads that would have us believe it is so.

So enough with the dire predictions and gloomy outlooks. I'm with COWISLAND and loving the fact the lake is quiet again. You folks need to get off the sidelines, put your boats in the water, get to the lake, SNAP OUT OF IT and start having a great summer already!

I think this post is pretty spot on. I think the biggest problem with our current state of affairs is one thing.... THE MEDIA! Now funny as it may seem I make my living as a Media Arts Teacher and I guess it's ironic that I would slam the very business I train people for. I have to say though as a culture we are so over-newsed it isn't even funny. If the Pope farts we see 24 hour coverage. The economic "woes" make for such good fodder it's all we see. Not to say things are all roses and sunshine but we do need to keep some perspective here. Realize that the info you are being fed is driven by a money making machine that only gives a damn about making one thing and that's $money$.
Personally, I'll curtail my gas spending this summer for sure but I aint curling up in the fetal position sucking my thumb in my basement just yet. I will be having a mostly normal summer where I dine out here and there and visit a few stores and shop. I'll also take the kids to the Weirs and I'll bring them for Ice Cream and such. So I really don't expect any major changes this summer.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #30
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLevis View Post
Even if gas is expensive, even if the water is still cold (and it is...decided to jump off in the Broads and I am still catching my breath!) my boat is out every weekend. Gas prices aren't going down and I still want to be out. The nice thing is that the Lake is not filled with the "less lake savvy" weekend warriors! See you all this weekend!
We saw gas prices go up and down last season. The same thing is likely to happen this season, though the long term trend is clear. Merchants were complaining even last year. Price swings will be greater this year.

The media can drive a herd mentality so powerfully, that it can actually cause a second off-season in the Lakes Region and elsewhere.
2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #31
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
I think this post is pretty spot on. I think the biggest problem with our current state of affairs is one thing.... THE MEDIA! Now funny as it may seem I make my living as a Media Arts Teacher and I guess it's ironic that I would slam the very business I train people for. I have to say though as a culture we are so over-newsed it isn't even funny. If the Pope farts we see 24 hour coverage. The economic "woes" make for such good fodder it's all we see. Not to say things are all roses and sunshine but we do need to keep some perspective here. Realize that the info you are being fed is driven by a money making machine that only gives a damn about making one thing and that's $money$.
Personally, I'll curtail my gas spending this summer for sure but I aint curling up in the fetal position sucking my thumb in my basement just yet. I will be having a mostly normal summer where I dine out here and there and visit a few stores and shop. I'll also take the kids to the Weirs and I'll bring them for Ice Cream and such. So I really don't expect any major changes this summer.
I'm sorry, all I read was
blah blah blah The Pope farted! blah blah blah.

Seriously, I agree completely. Maybe I am living with blinders on, but we are still doing ok. Yes, I am keeping my eye on fuel consumption, but not living in fear.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 AM   #32
Orion

Thumbs up I agree!

Quote:

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself! I've been saying the same thing to everyone. The media needs bad news to get ratings. Turn 'em off and LIVE!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #33
cowisl

I posted the other day on this thread but now its gone? Why?
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #34
Weekend Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Other than fuel prices, one thing to remember, is school is going to run late this year due to the snow-days. Afer school is out, traffic will most likey increase. Maybe people might not run the boats as much, but they will go out.
While it is true school is still in session, I still maintain traffic is down quite a bit compared to the normal June. I was looking at video we shot last year the week before Bike Week and there was a lot of boat traffic compared to this year. And boat traffic was down last summer, particularly during July. There was more than one Saturday afternoon we made it out onto the lake only to find there was little traffic. We were able to cross The Broads at WOT with nary a bump, something I haven't experienced on Winnipesaukee in over 20 years.

Gas on the lake last July was around $3.30. It will be closer to $4.75 this year. You can't tell me it won't have an adverse affect on boat traffic this summer. I'm guessing it will be down about 30% compared to last year (just a SWAG, with little evidence to support it...for now).

A true indication will be the second weekend of Bike Week and Fourth of July. If weather is good and boat traffic is down on both those weekends, boat traffic will be down all summer.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #35
randalnh

Default Speed Limit?

Several threads speak of a speed limit on the lake - the MP web site says nothing about any legal speed limit on Winni - did I miss something?
randalnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #36
SIKSUKR

Default Not so fast

Quote:
The speed limit goes into effect next year. But, depending on where you fall in that debate, it's being cited as a contributing factor for decreased boat traffic this year.
Did I miss something?The bill has not been signed into law by the Governor yet has it?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #37
Airwaves

I contacted the governor's office earlier this week because it's been just about a month and I was curious.

The person I contacted said the governor's office had not received the bill yet so no action has been taken. He did not give me any indication if that action would be a signature or veto.

So unless it arrived and he signed or vetoed it today then it is still a "proposed" law.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #38
Skip

Question Ossipee Lake too?

Haven't made it up to camp the last two weekends, still getting my new "side" business off the ground and jobs have filled my off duty schedule.

However, just talked to a friend of mine who is sitting out on his deck on Broad Bay. A lifelong resident up there, he said this is the quietest start to MC weekend he's ever experienced. Few boats out on the Lake and the roar of bikes from the camps mainly absent.

I transited Route 16 back and forth from Dover to Milton this afternoon, and south to Portsmouth tonight around six, where there was light northbound traffic, few bikes and no line at the toll.

What are you folks seeing/hearing up at Winni tonight?
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:25 AM   #39
robmac

well you talk of how slow it is and downsizing,the second boat pick is M.B. of SUMMA HUMMA fame downsized to a Regal not that it's bad just reality
Old 06-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #40
John A. Birdsall

Unhappy economy vs boating

Gas prices, oil prices, electrical cost are killing me. Medical cost, insurance cost, are killing me. I think this is true for everyone, everywhere, but as an American I have learned long ago that come summer I am gonna be boating, and I travel to the lake about 170 miles each weekend, in a truck no less. But come Nov to April I do not travel, I am saving my pennies for Gas for the boat. Its called priorties, you spend for what you want, coarse my wife would rather go on a trip than a boat ride. (that's mixed up priorities)

I try to do something that I wish the city, state and nation would try to do, live within a budget, fix a budget and stay within it.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #41
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Last weekend didn't seem that quiet to me considering kids are still in school. But I think this weekend is a lot quieter than last so far.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #42
kjbathe

We were out today and my wife remarked, "It seems just as busy as any other year." I thought the same thing. There were the same number of boats where we usually anchor, and same nutty traffic around the Weirs -- as with any other first bike weekend. Traffic was backed up on the Boulevard, lots of boats in Paugus, and we couldn't see a real difference.

Our marina noted that gas sales are way off to date, but said they were still putting in and taking out roughly the same number of boats as they had in the past. We all speculated that folks are out on the water, but more than likely spending more time anchored than under way in an effort to conserve fuel.

Time will tell...
Old 06-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #43
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
well you talk of how slow it is and downsizing,the second boat pick is M.B. of SUMMA HUMMA fame downsized to a Regal not that it's bad just reality
Mark actually bought that boat (or the twin to it!) 2-3 years ago, or perhaps 4......... it used to be called "my other summa humma" -- keep in mind he's a family man now, this boat is probably more appropriate for a family outing!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #44
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Default From the Archives

The brand new 53' Carver Voyager "My Utha Summa Humma" is fitted out in Gilford in August, 2000.

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:33 PM   #45
Ropetow

Very quiet in the Alton Bay end of the lake today.....nice!
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #46
ThePlut

Default Slow

I thought Saturday was very, very slow. Didn't see much for boats at all. The marina I keep my boat at (Parker) was maybe 1/2 full, maybe a hair more. Hardly any other boats on the ride from Alton, I was able to anchor at Braun Bay at noontime, got a slip right away in Channel Marine and in Alton Bay without having to wait. The kid who filled my gas a Goodhue said he had read something that said that 40% of NH boat owners did not re-register their boat this year... No idea if it's true, but the lake, IMHO was quiet. Didn't go near Weirs or Meredith...
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #47
flyguy

Default From my point of view...

Having spent 45 minutes flying all around the lake yesterday, I was very surprised at the number of boats! I actually think there were at least as many, if not more, than there usually are on Father's Day weekend.

JMHO
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #48
SIKSUKR

Default Disagree

Saturday there were very few boats again around the Glendale to broads area.I met some friends at Timber on the Mark Island side and there were only 6 boats rafting.After I launched I went to park my trailer and there were only 6 trailers in the lot.I've never seen it that empty.No doubt the boat traffic is waaay down.I hardly saw any motorcycles either staying at a freinds place on Paugus Bay.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #49
kchace

Default Cape traffic off also

FWIW - I think the slowdown in visiting/vacationing is everywhere. I drove to Cape Cod to visit my mom and was able to drive right over the Bourne bridge at 7pm Friday night! I haven't seen the traffic that light in 15-20 years. Same thing coming home Sunday night - no backup whatsoever at either bridge at 6pm Sunday night.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #50
CanisLupusArctos

Friday-Saturday wasn't busy, but wasn't quiet from this vantage point.

Boat traffic seemed like an average weekend of 15 years ago. Quiet compared to how it's been the last 5 years. The number of small boats (Whalers & motorized rowboats) was once again greater than I've seen in many years. The number of boats larger than the average 1980s bowrider was such that my friends and I noted the passage of each one.

Once again, weather seemed to determine the level of traffic. Fri-Sat were both nice and summerlike, but yesterday (Sunday) was cloudy. Even though the rain passed in the early morning and left the rest of the day dry, the lake was dead all day, looked like November.

Side note: My friends and I also noted the absence of the usual motorcycle rumble that can be heard from the distant shores during bike week. Instead we heard more loons than bikes.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #51
TimmyG

Default the bottom?

I agree with kjblath. We all need to look at things outside our little windows. Wait till your taxes go up next administration. (sorry, taxes won't go up, my tax break will go away.) How silly of me to think they will raise our taxes.
Being new to the lake I am loving the reduced traffic. I am having a hard time like everyone else but I have chosen to enjoy the lake while I can. I have been on the lake every weekend since 2 days after ice out. I have gone through almost 2 tanks of gas already (78 gallon tank). My wife and I skip the dinner nights out, movies, and cancelled HBO. We would rather go to the lake and relax!
So, for everyone who says they won't go because of this or that, fine, stay home. More room for us who will be there.

TG
TimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #52
chipj29

I-93 northbound through Concord on Saturday morning was free and clear, which is unusual for summer. Same thing southbound on Sunday afternoon. Next 2 weekends should be a different story. Next weekend being the peak of m'cycle week, and then the race the following weekend. We shall see.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #53
Justenuff

Default Quiet Day Saturday

Made it up to the lake on Saturday. Very little traffic on 93, Hooksett toll traffic was minimal, no wait at 11:30 am. Sailed between Lockes, Governor's and Timber Island with minimal traffic. Wakes were few and far between. Reminded me of several years ago when the lake level was too high and all of the lake was a nwz.
Was a beautiful sailing day. We even avoided the Mount this time as the wind carried us!
Definitely seems like boating traffic is down.
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #54
CentreHarborEric

Default Media, perception

I agree with the posts on here taking an optimistic approach. If you look at the "feeder" markets to Winni, where tourists and second homeowners most likely travel from (i.e. MA, RI, CT, and NY/PA to a lesser extent), jobs and the economies are holding up OK, despite the bad press. MA especially has to date bucked the rising unemployment trend seen in the US as a whole.
Unfortunately, people probably expect another shoe to drop in their worlds based on the news they read and hear, so they are probably ratcheting down in anticipation, even if they haven't been negatively affected beyond gas price increases.
There's some election year news cycle bias at work here for sure (not to get political on it), sensationalism over the rise in gas prices (pretty easy to put up some video of $4/gas signs on the side of the road and interview some drivers) and the fact that everyone is affected in some way by gas prices.
BUT, the NH boating season is short, and by my calcs, gas isn't the number one cost of ownership (for most boats), especially if you are carrying a note. Slips, storage, service, insurance are all more or less fixed costs, gas might be 25-40% more than last year, but even with this accounted for, why wouldn't you run the boat (if you've put the boat in the water, serviced it and will store it at the end of the season), especially if traffic is down and the lake is presumably even more enjoyable as a result? Maybe run it a little more conservatively, but enjoy it!
This was always an expensive hobby, and the incremental increase in fuel will probably flush out some folks who were just able to afford it @ $2 or $3/gallon. I expect the warm water and school vacation to stir up the activity and for this summer to be busy, just not quite as busy as the past few.
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #55
Dave R

A lot of folks that can afford to run boats this Summer may not do so, purely out of guilt. With demand high and supply low, I feel pretty guilty and irresponsible about adding to the demand by burning gas for no other reason than pleasure. Maybe the media has brainwashed me, but an understanding of simple economics clearly shows that the petroleum products we buy for pleasure drive up the price of gas/oil for those that need it for work and survival.

That said, I have used my boat this year, and will continue to, but I will be spending most of my time at anchor.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #56
kjbathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreHarborEric View Post
BUT, the NH boating season is short, and by my calcs, gas isn't the number one cost of ownership (for most boats)
Excellent point. I was reading an article/interview earlier this year (in The Laker? -- or one of the other free publications around town) where it was also noted that gas was only a small part of the total cost of ownership. The average boater was going to spend only $250-280 more on gas this year due to the increased prices.

Kind of scary when a few hundred dollars is a drop in bucket relative to the total cost of our summer hobby.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #57
gravy boat

Default to boat or not to boat....

We trailer our boat so we just fill up off-lake.
We also go from GLendale to our desintation and either anchor or dock until it's time to head home.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #58
HUH

Default Boats and boating

Im sure many others here feel the same way as I do but another dollar per gallon will cost me about an extra 250-300 dollars for the summer.. "Negligible" considering the peace and enjoyment we get from boating. If it keeps afew people off the lake , thats worth the extra buck too
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #59
robmac

I think that most people that pleasure boat just as they do for vacations preplan for the expenses of boat outtings.My family will be boating the same amount we always have.I might add a friend who installs pools said he's never been so busy.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #60
Weekend Pundit

Default Goin' slower

One thing I noticed yesterday while out on the lake is that a lot of folks are going a lot slower than I usually see. There were a much larger percentage of folks cruising along at just above headway speed, not bothering to go up on plane.

On the other hand, it could be that I was just paying more attention to the speeds out on the lake than I usually do.

It was quite apparent that while boat traffic was up this weekend as compared to the previous weekends, there didn't seem to be as much boat traffic as I expected. Of course this could be attributed to the later than usual Bike Week, keeping some of the regular weekenders away.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #61
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit View Post
One thing I noticed yesterday while out on the lake is that a lot of folks are going a lot slower than I usually see. There were a much larger percentage of folks cruising along at just above headway speed, not bothering to go up on plane.

If they had fuel flow meters, they would probably not be doing that.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #62
Alton Bay Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit View Post
It was quite apparent that while boat traffic was up this weekend as compared to the previous weekends, there didn't seem to be as much boat traffic as I expected. Of course this could be attributed to the later than usual Bike Week, keeping some of the regular weekenders away.
We had our office party yesterday so I spent most of the day on the lake giving tours of Alton Bay, Wolfboro and Rattlesnake. It was glorious. Very little boat chop and calm seas. We rode into Alton Bay at about 6:30 PM and the only other boat there was the marine patrol. Thankfully all the children were wearing life preservers and I just waved to the marine patrol guys. I remember that biker week is always a great time to be on the water. The regulars really do stay away......
Alton Bay Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #63
SIKSUKR

Definately an increase of traffic on Saturday over the last 2 weekends but still a lot less than I would expect.The trailer parking at Glendale still was only about 25% full.Went to Braun Bay and the place was much more quiet than I would have thought.That's ok with me though!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #64
Dave M

Default Awesome on the Lake

One of the best weekends on the water. Lake was so calm. Went for an ice cream Saturday at 6pm in Center Harbor, maybe saw 4 boats. Had my choice of spots. Went to Meredith Sunday morning at 8am and had breakfast at Waterfall Cafe in Mills Falls. Water was like glass and again had my choice of spots. Headed back home and decide to hit Weirs to minature golfing which was closed. Plenty of spots to choose from and walked cycle city. Awesome bikes to see. Headed back out to Lake and just cruised around and got back just ahead of the storm. Just a ripple on the boards. Can't remember when I saw it so calm. Maybe saw 10 boats on the whole lake I traveled. Wife was in her glory with a electric blanket around her and me in my shorts loving the wind. Just loved the reduced number of boaters, OK I'm selfish but still great.

Just an awesome weekend.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #65
Jeti

Lake has been very nice.. No chop.. I had a cigar in middle of the broads with a buddy on our jetskis.. could have seen a bug drop!
Jeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #66
Tiger Lilly

As an avid kayaker, I am absolutely thrilled to death to keep reading about the quieter than normal lake -- zippity do da day! I can't wait to get there in July!
Tiger Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #67
fatlazyless

Today's www.citizen.com has a long article, 'A slower pace out on the water' which has responses from the Mount Washington, the Marine Patrol and Ames Farm.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #68
VtSteve

Absolutely gas prices, and the overall economy have had an impact. You take 60 gallon to 200 gallon fuel fills, and you begin to see just how many people were living on the edge. My average fill this summer has been in the $130 range. I've primarily not been out as much due to work and weather, I suspect many have the same results.

I think a lot of people have to invest in a fuel flow meter before jumping to conclusions about smaller boats. Granted, a 32 footer uses a lot more than a 22 footer. But my little 22' V8 is on par with many 19' V6's. I don't bomb around as much as last year, but it was new then. Generally speaking, 25 to 30 mph cruises in recreational boats is a decent efficiency range. I can tube all weekend long at those speeds, but generally go around 20 with the kids in tow.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote