Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
8gv

Default Best GPS for Winni...

I am considering getting a GPS for my boat that will only be used on the lake.

All my boat GPS's have been numbers only, i.e. no data cards, no embedded charts. It may be time to come out of the stone age.

A unit with the least amount of effort to install would be best. I don't need it to interface with a depth sounder transducer as that task is already covered. An integral antenna would be best as routing wires gives me a bad hair day. Chart coverage can be Winni only because I'll not likely summon the courage to go over the dam at Lakeport.

From the collective wisdom of this forum I humbly request suggestions on a mid price unit.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:17 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

I'm not sure what mid-priced is, but we paid $550 for our Garmin 50DV. It comes with a transducer, etc. but for GPS is self-contained and easy to mount. Maps are awesome and very detailed, display is super bright during the day and soft at night. Very highly recommend.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:36 AM   #3
djwoodward

I'm in the market too... I've been looking at the Lowrance Elite 4M, no transducer, GPS only and you can get it with Navionics data. Ideally I was looking for something more portable but it seems like the hand held products are only 2.5" screens at best. The 4M and 5M look to be reasonably priced.

Currently I've been using the Navionics App on iPhone but the Apple displays in any sunlight are terrible. This is holding me over till I make a final decision.
djwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
YFM700

I've been a die-hard Garmin fan forever, HOWEVER... Starting in early 2015, they started blocking 3rd party maps on their devices.

This means Navionics or Bizer's maps will not work on current model GPS/Chartplotters (Like my 53dv). If you have an older model like the 50dv or 500 series, DO NOT update the software in your unit if you use non-Garmin charts! They will not work once you upgrade. I've been fighting with them about this since spring and they are standing firm on their decision.

I'd look at other brands like Lowrance or Raymarine. I really liked the Lowrance Elite5. It's similar to the 53DV and I only chose against it because I've always had Garmin equipment.
YFM700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
8gv

Great early posts thanks!

Keep 'em coming please!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
chillininnh

Come into Irwin's in Lakeport and check out the Raymarine Dragonfly 5M. It comes WITH the best chip for the lake (CMAP) and is a 2 wire install. This unit also does the coast, east and west, all for $479.99! Sold out yesterday but will be getting a delivery this morning.
chillininnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillininnh View Post
Come into Irwin's in Lakeport and check out the Raymarine Dragonfly 5M. It comes WITH the best chip for the lake (CMAP) and is a 2 wire install. This unit also does the coast, east and west, all for $479.99! Sold out yesterday but will be getting a delivery this morning.

That sounds like what I need and...

I've only been to Irwin Marine twice in the last week so I guess I'm due.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
YFM700 (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by YFM700 View Post
I've been a die-hard Garmin fan forever, HOWEVER... Starting in early 2015, they started blocking 3rd party maps on their devices.

This means Navionics or Bizer's maps will not work on current model GPS/Chartplotters (Like my 53dv). If you have an older model like the 50dv or 500 series, DO NOT update the software in your unit if you use non-Garmin charts! They will not work once you upgrade. I've been fighting with them about this since spring and they are standing firm on their decision.

I'd look at other brands like Lowrance or Raymarine. I really liked the Lowrance Elite5. It's similar to the 53DV and I only chose against it because I've always had Garmin equipment.
Didn't know this--thanks for the heads-up.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #9
MikeF-NH

Anything that takes a navionics chip is a good choice. I bought the chip a few years back for my Lowrance....best $150 I ever spent. I've boated the lake for 10 years and feel pretty comfortable without looking at it but any time there is slight doubt, a brief look is all it takes to restore confidence. I think one of the toughest stretches to navigate on the lake is the run from Melvin Village up to Greens Basin. I've only done it 3-4 times and it still keeps me very much on my toes. Went in there last weekend at the chip allowed us warning on upcoming hazards and oversight to explorer cutbacks and bays in the area.

Despite that, I still keep a compass and Bizer map onboard at all times. Never rely on only electronics when navigating...you never know when a failure is coming.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
brk-lnt

Years ago Garmin had a Winnipesaukee map for sale on their site. It was $1.99, I just checked but it's not on their website anymore.

I run an older Garmin GPS and that 2 dollar map. It has all the markers/flashers (Just as dots, not by color), and some routes. It's more than enough to get around the lake if you have a general idea of where you're trying to go. There's no waypoints, breadcrumb trails, etc., but I don't really need that stuff.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
DesertDweller

I have the Garmin 53DV which is the newer version of the 50DV. Also have the LakeVu Ultra HD chip. Winnipesaukee is one of maximum definition lakes on the chip. Have only tinkered around with it a little but its looks pretty impressive. Have always founds Garmin's to be a lot more user friendly than RayMarine but maybe their newer stuff is better.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Years ago Garmin had a Winnipesaukee map for sale on their site. It was $1.99, I just checked but it's not on their website anymore.

I run an older Garmin GPS and that 2 dollar map. It has all the markers/flashers (Just as dots, not by color), and some routes. It's more than enough to get around the lake if you have a general idea of where you're trying to go. There's no waypoints, breadcrumb trails, etc., but I don't really need that stuff.
They did away with that map (I thought it was $10) a few years ago. I thought there was a thread about it at the time. Too good too be that inexpensive, I guess.

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #13
Downeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I'm not sure what mid-priced is, but we paid $550 for our Garmin 50DV. It comes with a transducer, etc. but for GPS is self-contained and easy to mount. Maps are awesome and very detailed, display is super bright during the day and soft at night. Very highly recommend.

I installed the Garmin 54DV for a customer this week and it, from what I can tell, appears to be a fairly nice unit. Yes it does come with a xdcr but I needed the thru hull instead of the supplied transom mt. Airmar B60 8 pin 600 watt 2-3/8 unit however I did have to order the 8-->4 pin adapter cable from Garimin to snap into the display's cradle. The 54DV display is convenient as it does have a built in sounder module and no external DSM is needed.
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
stynx55

Quote:

Is this the case with the Garmin Montana 650T? WE just ordered one, our intention was to buy the Bizer chart for the summer and Trailmaster GPS for the snowmobile trails in the winter.
stynx55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #15
YFM700

I think it will depend on the software version, but potentially yes. I'm running the Bizer chart on my Montana, but it's a couple years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YFM700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #16
stynx55

Quote:
I think it will depend on the software version, but potentially yes. I'm running the Bizer chart on my Montana, but it's a couple years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that sucks, its coming in tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #17
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by stynx55 View Post
Well that sucks, its coming in tomorrow.
I got mine last year and it works just fine. I would be very surprised if they stopped allowing it on that model. MANY people use that GPS with non-garmin map products.

I use backwoodsgpstrails (http://backwoodsgpstrails.com/wp3/)
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:17 AM   #18
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Raymarine Dragonfly-5M Sonar/GPs

It's on Amazon for $409 with free shipping!

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Raymarine Dragonfly-5M Sonar/GPs with US C-Map Essentials

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:57 AM   #19
8gv

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 08-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #20
DustyR

Default Navionics for your phone

One added note for those who can't afford or don't need a full size GPS, you can get the Navionics maps for your phone. I had an old Android phone I was not using so I connected to my wi-fi, downloaded the app (it is called Boating USA by Navionics) from the app store for $9.99....voila... GPS. I keep it in the boat along with a car charger. Comes in handy when navigating a new or especially hazardous area of the lake. It has never steered me wrong
DustyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #21
stynx55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
I got mine last year and it works just fine. I would be very surprised if they stopped allowing it on that model. MANY people use that GPS with non-garmin map products.

I use backwoodsgpstrails (http://backwoodsgpstrails.com/wp3/)
Well the GPS came today and the Bizer map will not work. The GPS is a brand new Garmin Montana 650T. We are going to return the unit if it only will run Garmin maps it's useless to us.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #22
thinkxingu

Might be worth checking with Garmin first--maybe there's a trick and, if not, they'll be notified of one more customer who won't buy their gear.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #23
Rich

I can't understand this. There are a lot of third party maps for the garmin, especially the Montana.

For example I know of a few different brand snowmobile maps for the Montana. If garmin did this they would upset a lot of their current customers and also put some companies out of business. I can't imagine that garmin can produce all of the various specialized maps that are out there themselves.

I wonder if it's a change in format or another issue, licensing, etc., did you ask Bizer or the other map company about it?
Old 08-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #24
stynx55

I have a text and e-mail into Bizer. The sole reason I bought the Montana was because I wanted to use it in the winter on my sled and summer in the boat.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #25
thinkxingu

A quick question (and forgive me for segueing): what's the benefit of Bizer over Garmin maps? I just saw a pic on the Bizer page and my Garmin's detail/ease of reading is much, much better.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #26
stynx55

I am fairly certain Bizers chart is more accurate then Garmins.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #27
thinkxingu

I've yet to notice anything inaccurate or out of place on my Garmin, so I'm interested in someone clarifying this. Also, interested in if anyone can post screenshots to compare.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:30 AM   #28
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default Garmin

Two years ago Garmin mapped the lake so their data should be good.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ht=garmin+boat
This investment in mapping is probably why they won't allow use of the Bizer chip.

Advantage of Bizer chip is that it is same as paper chart and they have been updating for years.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #29
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I've yet to notice anything inaccurate or out of place on my Garmin, so I'm interested in someone clarifying this. Also, interested in if anyone can post screenshots to compare.

Anyone else have experience with the new Garmin map of Winni?
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote