Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #201
Gilligan

Smile Story of my Screen Name

My screen name is Gilligan:

Grab a seat and sit right back. Here is my tale if you can believe it. I’ve been on this forum for several years and around the Lake even longer. My name is Bob. Denver is where I was born and raised.

I seem to have a problem. I have many vivid dreams centered on the same impossible situations. In these visions I am part of a small group of people stranded on an uncharted desert isle. It gets weirder. In my fantasy, no matter how hard I try I don’t seem to be able to do anything right.

I try to understand the deep underlying causes of these recurring visions. Maybe it is due to a lack of navigation skills. Why am I stranded on a desert island that, in my delusional fantasy, is overgrown with lush tropical vegetation? Why is the beach the only place with sand on a desert island? Could the huts, tropical surroundings I envision actually be a desert mirage? It is quite a conundrum.

All during these chronic drawn-out hallucinations I have absolutely no libido and it seems like everyone I imagine I see on this island is celibate. Why do I see myself always wearing the same outfit with long sleeves in tropical hot weather? Others in the group never wear the same outfit twice. One girl wears hot pants and a midriff shirt. Holy Mary! Another woman gingerly wears long sparkley gowns and dresses. Reminds me of a famous model or a movie star.

There is an inane, somewhat oblivious, high society Yacht-Club couple along and I have no idea how they fit in. They are very formal and lovey-dovey and she has a big beautiful wardrobe and he reminds me of Mr. Magoo. There’s also a big husky domineering fellow who is always around me. He hugs me often and calls me his “Little Buddy”. He thinks he’s my captain and wants me to sleep in his shack (not that there’s anything wrong with that). Once I grew up though, I thought I’d never again have to sleep in an upper bunk.

Potential rescuers just pop up magically on this imaginary island and then they disappear. Every week I howl after we just miss getting saved. No BoatUS in my dreams!

I actually have vivid flashbacks of these dreams while I’m awake. This impossible scenario is especially strong when I’m watching my old TV. The visions take over the TV set and it’s like I’m watching my hallucinations. By now you must be wondering if my mental state is alcohol induced. Nope, the strongest thing I drink is ginger ale or coconut milk.

An inventive professor believes my mental condition is the result of frequently helping a neighbor, Timmy Leary with his chemistry experiments back in my bongo playing beatnik days. For those x-gens, back in the ‘50’s beatniks were the non-conformists and a prequel to the substance-enjoying, free-spirited hippies of the ‘60’s and ‘70’s.

Now, I hale from Maynard, MA where I live with my lovey girlfriend Ann and our wrinkle nose pug Zelda. One day, when I am fully cured, I might marry Ann. For pleasure and mental therapy I spend as much time as I can boating on Lake Winnipesaukee. Touring by boat for a few hours without losing sight of land is soothing, comforting and it eases my mind.

My screen name and avatar resemble the way I see myself during these delusional dreams and hallucinations. My therapist says that the Lake and this forum help me to cope with my imaginary life. Contrary to the vision of a desert rain forest, Winnipesaukee and this forum are not figments of my imagination. I’ve been told it takes a lot of WORK (I have trouble saying that word) to deal with my mental health. It’s been over 25 years and my expensive psychotherapist says I might never get rid of these apparitions and cure my phobia of oceans.

Thank you for accepting me here and for your wonderful forum.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #202
Happy Gourmand

Default Gilligan...

Can you get me a referral to your therapist?
That is hilarious.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #203
wishiwasthere

Default Love this thread

Very cute. I really need to get on this website more often! I think my name says it all. One more week and I'll be lnown as "glad I am here" hope the weather clears but it really doesn't matter.
wishiwasthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #204
coltgov101

Smile user name

I was a gunsmith for twenty years and the colt goverment model .45 became my favorite pistol to work on. Since I owned and vacationed in Meredith,(Spindle Point) for forty years it became my nickname, license plate, boat name etc. It just seemed right.
coltgov101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #205
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltgov101 View Post
I was a gunsmith for twenty years and the colt goverment model .45 became my favorite pistol to work on. Since I owned and vacationed in Meredith,(Spindle Point) for forty years it became my nickname, license plate, boat name etc. It just seemed right.
"Ya, we figured that out from you're handle"!!

no nead for an insurance co. , right?
Oh yes, they keep us alive and well, to this very day.!!

How old are you, sunshine??

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 07-08-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: I wish that I could spell somemore. Totally lost my touch from schoole.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #206
Mashugana

Wink Why I chose this screen name

You might think I'm crazy but here's why I chose my screen name. It comes from my passion for a special place.

MASH according to the dictionary, it's old slang for an infatuation. CLCIK for dictionary definition

Ugana A populated area in New Ireland, Papua New Guinea. See the map of Ugana HERE

So I have a love of Ugana. It's a wonderful place.

Click for a pic of the rebuilding of Ugana

And that is Mashugana !!!
Mashugana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #207
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashugana View Post
You might think I'm crazy ... !!!
Verukht/Mashugana, tomato/potato...
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #208
CrawfordCentury

Crawford was a company that made coal and wood stoves in the 1800s and early 1900s. The cookstove in our house is the Century model, which (as you might suspect) was popular at the turn of the 20th century.

My avatar it the Stihl 041 Farm Boss logo - my favorite chainsaw I use to buck up fuel for my cast iron monster.

Folks who cut up their own firewood oftentimes develop an especial fondness for their saws.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:12 PM   #209
No-Mo-Shun

Smile Not So Fast

My user name was the name of my boat in the early 50's when we had a cabin on Long Beach at Lake Shore Park. It is a partial robbery from Slo- Mo-Shun IV which was the World speed record holder in those days (160 MPH). My little Sid-Craft wasn't quite that fast. It would do about 45 MPH.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #210
wishiwasthere

Default no explaination needed

except maybe 2 weeks a year when iamthere or then it would be iamhere?
wishiwasthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #211
winnilakegirl

Default Meaning of my name

Winnilakegirl---the reason I choose winnilake is because I have Wiinipesaukee water in my veins. The girl part is because I never want to grow up. I want to always enjoy the lake as I have from the first time I ever went there as a 5 year old and went swimming,boating,etc. It will be forever a part of me and me of it.
winnilakegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #212
elchase

Default Lake Shore Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Mo-Shun View Post
My user name was the name of my boat in the early 50's when we had a cabin on Long Beach at Lake Shore Park. It is a partial robbery from Slo- Mo-Shun IV which was the World speed record holder in those days (160 MPH). My little Sid-Craft wasn't quite that fast. It would do about 45 MPH.
I had a good friend in Lake Shore Park in the fifties and remember your boat. We thought it was the aquatic version of a Corvette. I was over to LSP recently and it had changed so much I could not even have even pick out my friend's cabin. It actually had a canvas roof in those days, with about 50 leaks.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #213
shoppes on the bay

Default shoppes on the bay

the name of our building in alton bay - but my email is makosharker because that is my favorite pastime catching and tagging sharks with the ultimate being the mako becuase that animal can turn it around on you in a blink of the eye!
shoppes on the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #214
Mashugana

Thumbs up Newer forum users should add to this thread.

It has been awhile since anyone has posted to this thread. I am sure there are forum users who joined over the last year who have not seen this topic before and would like to take the opportunity to share their information with the rest of us.

How did YOU pick your forum name?

I'm Passionate for Ugana
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #215
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashugana View Post
It has been awhile since anyone has posted to this thread. I am sure there are forum users who joined over the last year who have not seen this topic before and would like to take the opportunity to share their information with the rest of us.

How did YOU pick your forum name?

I'm Passionate for Ugana
Do they speak Yiddish in Ugana? Sounds like a crazy place.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #216
Mashugana

Wink Oy Vey you are so right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Do they speak Yiddish in Ugana? Sounds like a crazy place.
Oy Vey. You think it was easy to come up with a plausible explanation for my screen name ?

Ugana is a crazy place. It is believed that many unknown species of plants and animals are yet to be found there. Of course they speak Yiddish in the small area of Ugana where I would hang out . The official language is The King's English though many languages are spoken there. You can check Google or Wikipedia for Ugana and Papua New Guinea for more information.

This is NOT because screen name derivation IS the topic .

Anyway, in the area I hang out they would call you, "mentsh fun ber indzl". If your Yiddish is rusty you can copy and paste to look up the translation HERE .

zayn gezunt,

Mashugana
Old 07-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #217
IslandRadio

Lightbulb

Mine was too boring.... I'm on an island (Rattlesnake) and I build radio equipment and talk to people using it..... so Island Radio (or IslandRadio).

Told you it was boring

Regards,

Steve
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #218
Martha Marlee

Default my dogs names

My old dog was Martha and still have Marlee
Martha Marlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #219
IllinoisBearIslander

Mine is pretty simple...

I'm from Illinois and traveled to Bear Island for the first time last August. I will be making my 2nd voyage this upcoming August and plan on returning many, many times again in the future!
IllinoisBearIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #220
eillac@dow

IllinoisBearIslander......WELCOME!

Come to NH anytime you want!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #221
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
Mine was too boring.... I'm on an island (Rattlesnake) and I build radio equipment and talk to people using it..... so Island Radio (or IslandRadio).

Told you it was boring

Regards,

Steve
IslandRadio,
My dad was a very serious armature radio operator. K1HDO We used to carry equipment up mountains and string dipoles all over the yard. His quad on the tower was a neighborhood landmark. When I was little he used to build a lot of equipment to save $$$. I remember imitating my father by wiring a bunch of stuff together and plugging it into the wall. Lucky to be alive I guess. It's funny, we never quite understood why dad would love to have these polite one at at time conversations with people all over the world by Morse code or microphone. Now that the world is addicted to emails and text messages, it does not seem that unusual.
73s
RG
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #222
NHBoat70

Default Name

Found an old license plate
NHBoat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #223
Begonezvous

Default Nom de plume

Begonezvous represents my grammatically incorrect way of saying "go away" in French. I believe the correct term would be "allez-vous en!" but this doesn't sound as well to me.

If I wasn't such a grump, my name would be Bienvenue
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote