Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
bumble71

Angry wolfboro diner

I went to the Wolfeboro Diner recently, first time in many years. I must say that I was absolutely baffled by what I was served for what I paid! First of all, I just wanted an egg sandwich, wasn't all that hungry, but then realized that they wanted $4.80 for a bacon, egg and cheese on an english muffin??!! So I thought to myself, if I'm going to spend that much money, I might as well have an omelette.($7.80?!!) Needless to say, I was given my omelette and it was abot 4 inches long by 2 inches accross! There were 9 homefries on the plate and 2 pieces of toast, which weren't even toasted!! Furthermore, the menu says you can have 3 eggs, homefries and toast for $3.99...now thats a good deal! But I have to pay $4.89 for an egg sandwhich??? (extremely labor intensive I guess???) Point being, the diner is way over priced, and the food isn't close to 3/4 of the breakfast places in the lakes region.
bumble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
NoBozo

We have been going to the Wolfeboro Diner for years..for breakfast...we are tourists, (in the last two weeks of September). We have noticed the prices were up this past season.

Something else we have noticed in the past few years....waiting lines outside. SO: To cut down on waiting lines you (as a restaurant owner) adjust the prices UP just a little bit and the lines will diminish just a little bit and you still make the same money. It's the Supply and Demand thingy.Sometimes the lines were still there....so we go to Moriseys Front Porch down the road a couple of miles. We like both places. They each have offerings that we like...different from what the "other" place has. It depends on our mood at the time.... Do we feel like standing in line this morning..???? Street parking at the Wolfeboro Diner can be a problem some times. NB

BTW: Lines outside a restaurant indicate that this must be a GOOD place to eat.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Wolfeboro Diner.

I only go to places that are recommended by folks. Wolfeboro Diner is not one of them. Folks in Wolfeboro recommend the Strawberry Patch for a good breakfast ot the Yum Yum Shop if you want pastry.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
bumble71

Wink

Or the lines outside THIS restaurant probably mean, tourist trap and convienence of location.
bumble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bumble71 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-15-2009)
Old 11-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
chocophile

Default Good Food, Excellent Service

We visit the Wolfeboro Diner several times a year, and we enjoy the food and excellent service. It's not gourmet fare, but we find it tasty.

We don't go during peak summer periods (Sat/Sun a.m.) because of the wait.

Lori always posts the score of the previous night's Red Sox game, and posts pictures drawn by kids on the paper placemats!
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
Argie's Wife

I thought it was decent and would return. Argie and I had the place to ourselves one morning while the Arglets were in school... I never saw the bottom of my coffee cup (a dream come true!) and the food was good. The service was excellent!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #7
Heaven

I'll pass on the Wolfeboro Diner. Better parking, service, food and prices at Katie's. But I'll drive to the Village Kitchen or the Wakefield diner any day.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
fpartri497

Default wolfboro diner

Allways had great food and service at the WD. parking? depends on how busy a day In wolfboro. I usually go by boat anyway.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Webbsatwinni

We have gone there a few times and thought it was a fair price and good food. We live in CT and the WD prices are cheaper compared to CT diners.

But we rarely get to go as we always have the kids in tow and they love Yum Yum.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I'll pass on the Wolfeboro Diner. Better parking, service, food and prices at Katie's. But I'll drive to the Village Kitchen or the Wakefield diner any day.
What is Katie's?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Grant

Thumbs up

Reality check: It's a small business in a resort town that relies heavily on seasonal patronage. Hence the prices.

But I still go in a few times a year and thoroughly dig a great mushroom/swiss burger and fries at the counter. One of my first stops in the spring when opening up.
Argie's Wife (11-19-2009)
Old 11-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
Neko

Default Grady 223

Katies is located in the Clark center. Great place to go if you want to clean out your plummimg
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
Katies is located in the Clark center. Great place to go if you want to clean out your plummimg
Havn't had That Reaction from Katies yet but we quit gong there a couple of years ago. The service and food was OK but the waitress seemed to be wearing an apron that should have gone into the laundry three weeks earlier.

The general presentation of the place just seemed lacking. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #14
ApS

Smile That's the Wolfeborough Diner, if you please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble71 View Post
"...Point being, the diner is way over priced, and the food isn't close to 3/4 of the breakfast places in the lakes region..."
"Breakfast nooks" in general are getting pricey. If I were the owner of this diner, I'd also raise the prices; previously, the line would stretch for a dozen people—in the rain!

Out-of-state friends insist on dining there to secure a parking space for browsing the town afterwards.

They'll call us from 20 minutes away, and we'd usually get there first. I put their name on the reservations list and wander down to the magazine rack at Black's—then peek over the Smith River Bridge looking for otters, and meet back in front for a sun-warmed visit.

Service has been exemplary: One waitress last year was a blur—managing our table like a Ninja, then racing off to the cash register!

Due to a specific diet this year, I had to ask a WD waitress for a specific jelly-spread for my toast. She searched in the kitchen, and promptly returned with a suitable spread—and did it cheerfully!

For those unfamiliar with this most-recent name of Wolfeborough Diner, the same location was previously known as Mast Landing, and before that, White's Restaurant. Before White's, I can't confirm that the occasional post-war reference to Wolfeboro Diner is the same place or not.

I've long-maintained that an egg breakfast is difficult to mess up, and the owners are proving that it can also pay off.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
RI Swamp Yankee (11-23-2009)
Old 11-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #15
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #16
Argie's Wife

At least to me... there's just something special about going to a diner. It's more than just a meal but it's an experience. There's a certain Americana feel to those kinds of places and if they're decorated in some ketch-y way it makes it more special (example: Pink Cadillac Diner in Rochester). Yeah, it may cost the restaurant $1 to make the omelet I'm paying $4 for, but the whole dining in a diner experience is worth it. I'll take a diner over a place with a dress code and reservations any day!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #17
Grant

And let's not downplay the value of service with a smile. I've always found the staff @ WD very cordial, attentive & friendly.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
winnisummergal

Default Great again this summer

We went to the diner again this summer and brought a first timer. He loved it so much we ended up going there 4 out of the five mornings we were in town! Of course we hit up the YUM YUM shop the other day! I'm hoping I can get him into the Strawberry Patch for one meal this trip.
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #19
Heaven

I confess I haven't tried it for quite a while, maybe since before the ownership change (?)
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote