Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Top 10 Fried Seafood Restaurants

Three local places Pops #1, South End Laconia #5 and the Bob House #10

There have been many reviews here as we know but I have never heard South End Pizza and Seafood on 106 in Laconia mentioned.

Anyone ever been?

https://www.wmur.com/article/viewers...afood/28512798

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:26 AM   #2
trfour

Post For my love of seafood

Hi Joey, from their rating I'd give them a try.
With my fourteen + years at Lake Winni, I got spoiled between Waldo Pepper's and Pop's.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:41 AM   #3
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Hi Joey, from their rating I'd give them a try.

With my fourteen + years at Lake Winni, I got spoiled between Waldo Pepper's and Pop's.
That’s the plan . Although I doubt it’s going to beat Pop’s.

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default South End Pizza

Not crazy about the fried food there, it appears a little greasy. The standard bearer in NH is definitely Brown's! Worst fried food is Sawyer's, they were great but gone down into the Abyss.

When available T'Bones has great fried food as well as The Lodge at Smith Point and Hector's.
trfour (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Not crazy about the fried food there, it appears a little greasy. The standard bearer in NH is definitely Brown's! Worst fried food is Sawyer's, they were great but gone down into the Abyss.

When available T'Bones has great fried food as well as The Lodge at Smith Point and Hector's.
The summer special siracha fried shrimp dinner at t bones is awesome. Had it last week.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #6
rick35

Finally made it to Pops tonight after hearing rave reviews. I’m sorry but the food was just ok. I got the seafood plate and it was large enough for two to share. But the haddock was dry and didn’t have much flavor. Same for the clams and scallops. It’s a long ride from Sheps parking lot and we probably wont be back. We’ve had better at Red Hill and it’s a lot closer.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #7
dpg

Got to Pops last summer for the first time wanted to like it much more than I did but they were "ok." After a long wait and no place to sit we finally had to settle across the street and by the time we ate the food was barely warm. Perhaps not their problem but whatever haven't been back... Finally got to the Bob House last month they were "good" also not sure of the rage everyone speaks of. Both the wife and myself agreed we wouldn't run back to either place. Food was good at the Bob House for me it was more the environment and all the tall "bar-like" seating they have maybe just not for me.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Got to Pops last summer for the first time wanted to like it much more than I did but they were "ok." After a long wait and no place to sit we finally had to settle across the street and by the time we ate the food was barely warm. Perhaps not their problem but whatever haven't been back... Finally got to the Bob House last month they were "good" also not sure of the rage everyone speaks of. Both the wife and myself agreed we wouldn't run back to either place. Food was good at the Bob House for me it was more the environment and all the tall "bar-like" seating they have maybe just not for me.
I find it amazing how there is such a difference of opinion on restaurant reviews. But that’s why they make vanilla and chocolate.

For instance I do not like Patrick’s at all and I think Lyons’s Den is good not great but too each his own.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #9
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I find it amazing how there is such a difference of opinion on restaurant reviews. But that’s why they make vanilla and chocolate.

For instance I do not like Patrick’s at all and I think Lyons’s Den is good not great but too each his own.

Agreed--I think part of this is that some of us are more sensitive to price and value, others more focused on taste, others more focused on service speed. Further complication is that many of these places are nostalgic for those who've been dining there for generations.

Like a couple of other recent posters, I found Pop's to be just OK the one time I went, but I'm pretty sure it's a value champ.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-06-2019), MBNeckguy (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
jbolty

I got the fried combo plate at bob house last week. Was very good and not the slighted bit greasy. Nice big scallops and large shrimp and a nice portion of haddock. no clams but with the price this year I can do without.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I got the fried combo plate at bob house last week. Was very good and not the slighted bit greasy. Nice big scallops and large shrimp and a nice portion of haddock. no clams but with the price this year I can do without.
That combo never came with fried clams. You can guess how I know that!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
jbolty (08-07-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 06:13 PM   #12
rick35

Default Tamarack

I remember years (and years) ago that this was the place to go for seafood. Not so much now I guess by the number of cars in their parking lot when we drove by last night on our way to Pops. Two cars out front on our way out and four on our way back. That’s sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #13
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
I remember years (and years) ago that this was the place to go for seafood. Not so much now I guess by the number of cars in their parking lot when we drove by last night on our way to Pops. Two cars out front on our way out and four on our way back. That’s sad.
One of my all time nostalgic faves. My wife and I were there a couple of weekends ago, and it was still terrific. Could be a Monday night thing
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:13 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
One of my all time nostalgic faves. My wife and I were there a couple of weekends ago, and it was still terrific. Could be a Monday night thing
What place are we talking about in the last two posts?!

Old 08-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #15
joey2665

Quote:
Rick which restaurant are you referring too?

Old 08-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #16
rick35

I posted about the Tamarack. It was included in the title of my post but fell off when quoted by FlyingScot. I remember going there in the 60’s and 70’s as a kid and in the 80s and 90’s with my kids.

We have a couple of favorite seafood places in Merrimack (Lobster Boat) and Hampton (Old Salt) and don’t think too much about seafood while at the lake. We heard so many great reviews about Pops we had to go. The reviews for the Tamarack haven’t been so we don’t even think about it. And that’s why the few cars in their lot caught my attention on our way to Pops.
The Following User Says Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Quote:
I posted about the Tamarack. It was included in the title of my post but fell off when quoted by FlyingScot. I remember going there in the 60’s and 70’s as a kid and in the 80s and 90’s with my kids.

We have a couple of favorite seafood places in Merrimack (Lobster Boat) and Hampton (Old Salt) and don’t think too much about seafood while at the lake. We heard so many great reviews about Pops we had to go. The reviews for the Tamarack haven’t been so we don’t even think about it. And that’s why the few cars in their lot caught my attention on our way to Pops.
Got the Neptune's Platter at the Old Salt a year back--my God, was that AWESOME.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #18
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Got the Neptune's Platter at the Old Salt a year back--my God, was that AWESOME.

We love the Old Salt. We get the Neptune's platter every year while on vacation in April.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #19
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
We love the Old Salt. We get the Neptune's platter every year while on vacation in April.
Went to old salt a few months ago, kind of by accident, was meeting someone from out of town and they could not find the place they were trying to go and had pulled into the parking lot of old salt to text me so we went there. It was very good.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #20
rick35

King Neptune is the biggest presentation of seafood you’ll ever see. All kinds of fried seafood and two cups of chowder. The last time I checked it was $60. Order two more chowders and it can easily feed four people. And they serve Allagash on tap and offer two sizes of mud pie. Makes me very happy. We make the hour trip 2-3 times a year. Definitely worth the trip. And they take reservations. Ready to go?
Old 08-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #21
jimkberry

Quote:
I posted about the Tamarack. It was included in the title of my post but fell off when quoted by FlyingScot. I remember going there in the 60’s and 70’s as a kid and in the 80s and 90’s with my kids
Just had lunch there. Haddock and shrimp. I was pretty happy with it and would certainly eat there again. They are currently running a reduced menu because of a family emergency so you might want to check first, though.

-jim
jimkberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #22
thinkxingu

Went to Pop's tonight just before the storm rolled through (we took refuge in the gazebo) and it was AWESOME. Seafood combo so good it'd make a bishop kick in a stained glass window.